Pats cut veterans Kelly, Anderson, W. Smith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Pats cut veterans Kelly, Anderson, W. Smith

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kelly's release, I think, was related to salary. He was due $1.9Mill. Not worth it, according to BB.

Don't be shocked if he's back on reduced salary.

[/QUOTE]

Kelleys contract this year after restructure:

Signing bonus: $100,000
    Base salary: $955,000
    Roster bonuses: $800,000 ($50K per game he's on the 46-man active list)
    Total value: $1.85 million

The deal also includes the following playing-time incentives:

20 percent -- $95,000
    30 percent -- $195,000
    40 percent -- $345,000
    50 percent -- $495,000
    60 percent -- $645,000

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It looks like the base D will be a 3/4 which will most likely only be for 30% of the plays or so. CJ played exclusively standing up last week I did not notice one play where he lined up with his hand in the dirt. I have a feeling we are going to see a ton of hybrid defensive alignments this year.

[/QUOTE]

If the base d is 3-4, Nones and Nink are again going to be played to bare thread, same as last year, and be wasted by the time the playoffs roll around. Buchanon has not looked good, and Easley hasn't been on the field yet to evaluate. Jones showed last year to be a 1 gap player, and doubtful he can set the edge if playing end...

Curious moves by the team. 

[/QUOTE]

WHy would you say that. We have 3 OTHER STARTING LBs and only two inside spots: Mayo, Hightower and Collins. So one of them as always available to spell Jones and Nink. That is 4 positions and 5 starting players.

I am not sure we have anyone besides Vinny who can be good as a nose. That is not good. And does Easley fit in as a DE in that 3-4? I think this 3-4 will not be the same as the 3-4 we used to play. I think it will be something between a 4-3 and a 3-4.

[/QUOTE]

He says a lot of dumb things. It is what he does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think he's still hurt some. He didn't look that great to me. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WHy would you say that. We have 3 OTHER STARTING LBs and only two inside spots: Mayo, Hightower and Collins. So one of them as always available to spell Jones and Nink. That is 4 positions and 5 starting players.

I am not sure we have anyone besides Vinny who can be good as a nose. That is not good. And does Easley fit in as a DE in that 3-4? I think this 3-4 will not be the same as the 3-4 we used to play. I think it will be something between a 4-3 and a 3-4.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Port - No matter how we break it down you need 7 starters in the front 7. I agree with have 3 LB's, Nink and Jones, and Vince. The question becomes who's the 7th? Easley hasn't taken a preseason game snap so while long term I could see him in that 7th role at the beginning of the season it does leave a hole currently. Even if they have a 7th that leaves them very thin at DE and DT. Siliga and Jones are still injured at this point and Worthy is a question mark since we just haven't seen enough. Right now there are more question marks then answers so it has to be a concern for sure. Now if we start to get bodies back or Easley or Worthy show in the next week they can start the season, things change slightly but we better hope no one gets injured in the first 4 weeks or so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Zero tackles in the 3 preseason games

2-15 in one on one drills

to my eye, he was moving well. Showed no residual from last years injury. His salary was quite low. The team is short handed at the position. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

to my eye, he was moving well. Showed no residual from last years injury. His salary was quite low. The team is short handed at the position. 

[/QUOTE]

Stay off the cough syrup.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Don't like the cutting of Kelly...

Smith didn't look amazing or really good to me either did Anderson for that matter.

I think we could very well see Kelly back though, without a doubt. I don't understand why cut him, but I think there's a good chance he's back. Same with Anderson and Smith too. BB wants to see what the young guys can do I guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smith didn't look amazing or really good to me either did Anderson for that matter.

I think we could very well see Kelly back though, without a doubt. I don't understand why cut him, but I think there's a good chance he's back. Same with Anderson and Smith too. BB wants to see what the young guys can do I guess.

[/QUOTE]

Nah. If that were the case, he would not have cut them today. He would have waited. Cutting them today allows them to move on to another team. 

I think all 3 get offers quickly. 

BB's list of free agent signing busts keeps rising. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nah. If that were the case, he would not have cut them today. He would have waited. Cutting them today allows them to move on to another team. 

[/QUOTE]

For some reason he just does not typically excel at the top of drafts or free agency. He needs to stick to the bench or we will keep chasing number 4. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you came up with 2-15 in one on one drills.  The Boston Globe came up with 8-2, the top percentage performance for all linemen defensive or offensive. 

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/what_happened_in_1-on-1_pass-rush_drills_throughou.html

I'll entertain the idea that BB wants to sneak Kelly past the 53 man limit in a week or so, that he'll pick up Kelly in November, that Kelly would never last an entire season but he'd really like to go on another playoff run. 

I'll entertain the idea that something in Kelly is really injured. 

I'll entertain the idea that BB really wanted to hang onto the future at this spot.  

I don't know.  I'm an outsider.  I'm not the attending physician or the trainer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For some reason he just does not typically excel at the top of drafts or free agency. He needs to stick to the bench or we will keep chasing number 4. 

[/QUOTE]

BB may be weak in some aspects drafting or FA, but he definitely knows when to let people go. I can't think of one player that has been cut and went on to bigger and better things. There are probably some other pieces of the puzzle we are not seeing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

This is good news. If the team "needed" these guys it was in trouble.

Not surprised at all.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I'll entertain the idea that BB wants to sneak Kelly past the 53 man limit in a week or so, that he'll pick up Kelly in November, that Kelly would never last an entire season but he'd really like to go on another playoff run. 

I'll entertain the idea that BB really wanted to hang onto the future at this spot.  

I don't know.  I'm an outsider.  I'm not the attending physician or the trainer.

My thoughts too. I will not be surprised to see Kelly back. And I respect BB for allowing Kelly time to make a deal with another team if that is what interests him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If kelly doesn't come back will you leave this forum for good?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The coward will not bet.

Dallas will bring him in.  They need help desperately and fans here are already talking about it.

They already have our Hof'rs Green and Sterling Moore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

I know he will not bet , he just ignores my post about the bet like he doesn't see it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to user_483130's comment:

BB may be weak in some aspects drafting or FA, but he definitely knows when to let people go. I can't think of one player that has been cut and went on to bigger and better things. There are probably some other pieces of the puzzle we are not seeing.

[/QUOTE]

Well, considering we don't sit in on film breakdown with the coaches, don't know what the plan is scheme wise for the D-line going forward, know the injury situation for all the players involved and many other variables we are not aware of I would have to think your statement above would be pretty close to the truth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

From a fan's perspective, and that's all I am, the Kelly move surprised me as it surprised others.  Anderson and Smith not so much.  Early yet; we'll see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why do you use the term "bust" in this sentence. 

They can't be a bust unless they were expected to take meaningful snaps during the regular season as a starter or #1 backup. And I doubt if you really know the conversation between BB and the particular player so for all we know, those guys were brought in to teach the young guys how to play and to provide competition in training camp. To push the younger guys to be better.

In any case, free agent "busts" are a good thing. It means your home grown talent is better than the fans and talking heads think!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From a fan's perspective, and that's all I am, the Kelly move surprised me as it surprised others.  Anderson and Smith not so much.  Early yet; we'll see.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

+1. I thought Kelly looked very good considering he missed a season. BB might have had a hand shake deal with him to cut him if he thought he could get a pay day. Or to come back after week 1 so his contract was not guaranteed. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They can't be a bust unless they were expected to take meaningful snaps during the regular season as a starter or #1 backup. And I doubt if you really know the conversation between BB and the particular player so for all we know, those guys were brought in to teach the young guys how to play and to provide competition in training camp. To push the younger guys to be better.

In any case, free agent "busts" are a good thing. It means your home grown talent is better than the fans and talking heads think!

[/QUOTE]

I do think all 3 were thought to be playing a lot of snaps when signed. 

I dont think any of them signed with the thought of being training camp teachers or camp bodies

I am struggling with the concept of how a bust is a good thing?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you came up with 2-15 in one on one drills.  The Boston Globe came up with 8-2, the top percentage performance for all linemen defensive or offensive. 

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/what_happened_in_1-on-1_pass-rush_drills_throughou.html

[/QUOTE]

It appears my entire post did not take

the reference to salary and one on one wins and losses and position competition was in reference to Smith

After watching quite a bit the past number of weeks, I came away with that if he proved healthy( he did) he was ahead of Bequette and Buchanon.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont think any of them signed with the thought of being training camp teachers or camp bodies

[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps we should look at it in these terms.... A FA bust would be if Revis/Browner/Lafell failed to live up to their contracts and were let go costing them millions in dead money and more importantly left them high and dry at those positions.  The closest to a FA bust from this group would be Kelly and that is a stretch seeing his contract was re-negotiated and he was coming off ACL surgery. I won't argue the Kelly cut either way but to say Anderson and Smith were FA busts is a stretch at best. Based on the fact they were brought in on short money and the downside was 30K between the 2 of them I would call them players that were brought in to compete at those positions to add depth who got beat out by other players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

+1. I thought Kelly looked very good considering he missed a season. BB might have had a hand shake deal with him to cut him if he thought he could get a pay day. Or to come back after week 1 so his contract was not guaranteed. 

[/QUOTE]

I will laugh my balls off when kelly re-signs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

I will laugh my balls off when kelly re-signs.

[/QUOTE]

Will you leave when he doesn't as Rockyoursox off has asked you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps we should look at it in these terms.... A FA bust would be if Revis/Browner/Lafell failed to live up to their contracts and were let go costing them millions in dead money and more importantly left them high and dry at those positions.  The closest to a FA bust from this group would be Kelly and that is a stretch seeing his contract was re-negotiated and he was coming off ACL surgery. I won't argue the Kelly cut either way but to say Anderson and Smith were FA busts is a stretch at best. Based on the fact they were brought in on short money and the downside was 30K between the 2 of them I would call them players that were brought in to compete at those positions to add depth who got beat out by other players.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see it as a dollar and cents issue. I see it that the roster had a need for certain upgrades between last year and this year. Its a domino effect. If someone younger than Kelley was signed, perhaps Easley us not drafted. If Kelley was released and not renegotiated, does K Williams sign? 

Anderson and Smith were beat out for roster spots. Fair enough. But the ayers that beat them out have not played nor practiced well at all