Pats D Averaging 3.2 Turnovers in Last 5

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Pats D Averaging 3.2 Turnovers in Last 5

I'd like to think the secondary is not a mirage because we've seen the Pats put together a couple good defensive performances before only to go back to Swiss cheese.  But right now I think the Talib, Dennard, McCourty grouping in the secondary looks as good as I've seen in quite a while.  I still feel like Wilfork needs some reinforcements on the line in next years draft but this defense might be good enough to win a game or two on their own if they continue the way they are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

The D has certainly looked better lately and Talib would seem to be one of the factors, with a positive trickle down effect throughout the secondary.

If they can find a way to generate enough pass pressure, with more aggressive defensive playcalling and then hopefully get Jones and Cunningham back healthy and rested this could be a fun D to watch in the playoffs.

We'll see how they hold up against some better upcoming opponents but no question things are rounding into shape nicely so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

This has to be a huge confidence builder...  Guys starting to make those decisive moves that cause turnovers... Hits, plays on the ball ... We're seeing an emerging defense that has a huge upside IMO.

like sharks with blood in the water.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I like what Talib and Dennard bring, but I'm not confident in McCourty or Chung or Gregory at safety. Yeah they may play well against a Sanchez, but to me that's not something to get excited about.

I think Wilfork is great and Chandler has a boat load of paotential, but along the line that's all I see...and that's not enough - it wasn't enough last year, the year before and I doubt it will be enough this year against good teams in the playoffs. The line is really - to me - the key to the success of this defense and team, and I think it hurts the secondary and even linebackers.

I wish they could sign someone off the street with some size that could at least hold his ground next to Wilfork..Love looks like he is playing on rollar skates. Brace is a collosal bust...Deaderik needs to take his head out of his behind and play like the guy that came off injured reserve last year and gave us something. Thank god Spikes is as big and strong as he is because he isn't getting any protection from blockers (outiside of what Wilfork gets him). If guys like Fenene, Ellis, or Haynesworth worked out for us it would of made us a lot better defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well I like what Talib and Dennard bring, but I'm not confident in McCourty or Chung or Gregory at safety. Yeah they may play well against a Sanchez, but to me that's not something to get excited about.

I think Wilfork is great and Chandler has a boat load of paotential, but along the line that's all I see...and that's not enough - it wasn't enough last year, the year before and I doubt it will be enough this year against good teams in the playoffs. The line is really - to me - the key to the success of this defense and team, and I think it hurts the secondary and even linebackers.

I wish they could sign someone off the street with some size that could at least hold his ground next to Wilfork..Love looks like he is playing on rollar skates. Brace is a collosal bust...Deaderik needs to take his head out of his behind and play like the guy that came off injured reserve last year and gave us something. Thank god Spikes is as big and strong as he is because he isn't getting any protection from blockers (outiside of what Wilfork gets him). If guys like Fenene, Ellis, or Haynesworth worked out for us it would of made us a lot better defense.

[/QUOTE]

MT, do you think it is just dumb luck that we lead the LG in forced turnovers? Or is it just the addition of Talib in the last 2 games? I am almost interested in your response.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

This is almost interesting...  Hurlman...  What's up with the doom and gloom...?  Come on , party your ask off , we have a great team.  Really .  Watch the game, appreciate the tackling, the passing the catching...  Smoke some weed if it helps man , enjoy it .  18-4...  Almost 22-0...  Listen to yourself .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The addition of Talib and the development of Dennard give me a lot more confidence in the secondary. I think McCourty has played relatively well at corner this season, but I really like him at safety now.  Gregory, Chung, Arrington, Cole, Wilson, Ebner, and Martin all have weaknesses, but toghether they provide enough for us to at least get by at the second safety position and the nickel and dime positions. I'm not sure I'd say this is a great secondary, but I think it's getting better. Some of the continuing coverage problems are with the linebackers more than (or as much as) with the defensive backfield, and at this point I think getting better pass defenders in the short part of the field is almost more important than shoring up the back end. 

I'm not too worried about the D line.  Yes, we could have more top quality talent beyond Wilfork and Jones, but I think the guys we do have are reasonable enough given the quality of the coaching. The LBs, while relatively weak against the pass, can be very stout against the run when the scheme allows.   And we can get pressure from the front seven--and also turnovers, because they're good at stripping the ball. 

This defense is not nearly as good as the 2003 and 2004 defenses, but overall I think it's better than last year's defense and better now than it was a few weeks ago. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Thats awesome, already a turnover creating defense is even better with the addition of Talib.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Not all turnovers are created equal, but I'm going to arbitrarily put a point value of 4 points onto the average turnover. 

This includes a few 90 yard pick sixes that deny the victims a chance at a touchdown, take the victims out of field goal range, score seven points against them and then set the victims up at their own 20.  Those are at least worth 10 points.  On the other hand, a third and ten shot 40 yards downfield that gets intercepted, but the defensive back is then tackled 40 yards downfield, isn't a much better play for the defense than a dropped pass and a punt on fourth down.

Three of the last five games have been loaded with plenty of near-garbage time, and all five were often catchup affairs for the opponent's offense.  In each case the losing team has been forced to launch a number of downfield ducks, figuring that a 1% shot at a victory is better than mailing it in early.  This strategy occasionally pulls out a victory, but more often it leads to a turnover sooner or later. 

The Pats had a real Romper Room defensive backfield at the beginning of the season.  Tavon Wilson in the middle was nothing but a rookie.  Dennard was another rook.  With BB 's youthful teams, things tend to jell as the weeks progress.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

I wouldnt doubt if we didnt see Chandler Jones for a long while. I wouldn't disagree with the move because it would keep him fresh for the playoffs. He could be the missing piece to finally give us that elluding "W" we've all been patiently been waiting for...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It's amazing and the Pats deserve a huge amount of respect for their run at division titles year after year. 

The only problem is that in recent years our turnover reliant defense has had trouble when we could not force them in the postseason against better teams or in pressure situations. Turnovers are a great regular season thing but in the postseason being able to get teams off the field in more conventional ways is important. It was rough seeing the ball on the ground a few times last Super Bowl and knowing that's how the ball bounces. Turnovers are an important stat but are not the be all and end all for great defensive play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's amazing and the Pats deserve a huge amount of respect for their run at division titles year after year. 

The only problem is that in recent years our turnover reliant defense has had trouble when we could not force them in the postseason against better teams or in pressure situations. Turnovers are a great regular season thing but in the postseason being able to get teams off the field in more conventional ways is important. It was rough seeing the ball on the ground a few times last Super Bowl and knowing that's how the ball bounces. Turnovers are an important stat but are not the be all and end all for great defensive play.

[/QUOTE]

Very true.  But I do think the D is improving at the other aspects of defense as well.  The injuries and suspensions upfront aren't helping, but as long as the players can play, the trajectory is upward, I believe.  

I won't call them a great defense yet (they're not), but they don't seem quite as large a liability in the passing game as they were last year and earlier this season, and that's promising as the playoffs approach. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I never liked the turn over stat as an indicator of the defense playing well or not. Bad teams turn over the ball. The turnovers given the Pats by Luck and Sanchez were mistakes, certainly taken advantage of by the Pats, but not created by the Pats. 

This defense is certainly improving. They are turning over the ball against bad teams. They are getting off the field on 3rd down against bad teams. The pieces with Vince, Nink, Mayo, Spikes, Jones, mcCourty and Talib are coming together. 

What is needed?

interior help for Vince

a S that can cover in sub packages for Spikes or Hightower

CB depth. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

According to Tedy Bruschi, turnover ratio is the #1 stat in football. The Patriots are +24. The Bears are next with +13.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/46184
    Chris

Do you think that the Patriots defense is better than last year?

Tedy

Chris, for the stretch run, I want to see Chandler Jones healthy and in that lineup. That's a huge factor. But one stat says it all -- plus-24. Turnover ratio. That's the No. 1 stat in football. Last year, they weren't close to that.

Here's Belichick after the Jets game,

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Belichick-Taking-turnovers-to-the-house-?blockID=805371
    "Turnovers are a huge part of the game. And other than points, they're probably, statistically, the highest correlation to winning. We had a lot of turnovers earlier in the year, and we didn't get enough point production out of those turnovers. Even though we had a turnover differential advantage, that didn't really translate into a big point advantage with those turnovers. And in the past few weeks, those numbers have changed, more in our favor, where the turnovers have been converted into points."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

MT, do you think it is just dumb luck that we lead the LG in forced turnovers? Or is it just the addition of Talib in the last 2 games? I am almost interested in your response.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Ok, here it goes...we have an offense that scores points, lots of them, because of that teams have to throw the ball to keep up with them. I think because it's hard to ask an oppossing offense to score 30 points (like we do) you end up having infferior quaterbacks throwing the ball all over the field...which leads to turnovers. You can also throw in the fact that our secondary has been so poor that these very same offenses have the luxury of being able to extend drives and be out on the field longer than they should...hence increasing the chance for turnovers. I see it every week - so and so average QB drives the ball up the field on us - then so and so subpar QB throws an absolutely stupid pass that gets tipped and picked off.

The other reason is Spikes is a pure...professional hitter. Just a superior blend of size, power, instinct and aim. How many turnovers has this guy caused? Is Talib a reason as well? I don't see how he can hurt the situation - he is closer to the receiver than anyone we've had here since Asante. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is almost interesting...  Hurlman...  What's up with the doom and gloom...?  Come on , party your ask off , we have a great team.  Really .  Watch the game, appreciate the tackling, the passing the catching...  Smoke some weed if it helps man , enjoy it .  18-4...  Almost 22-0...  Listen to yourself .

[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying coolade, but here is the dealio - I've watched this for 6 years now - we have an offense that is good enough to win it all and a defense that gets punched in the face in the playoffs. Last year we were lucky enough to face Tim Freaken Tebow!! That going to happen again? Last year we were fortunate enough to have a receiver drop a ball that is right in his hands in the endzone. Then we got a kicker to miss a field goal...we going to have that luxury this post season?

I have grown spoiled...I expect to win a Super Bowl when we have the best coach and QB in NFL history together. How long has it been? Almost ten years? This team is not suppossed to be judged like a team that is just happy to be there. I fully realize that I'm witnessing one of the greatest runs in NFL history, I also realize why it's happening - it's because we have a QB that will be carried into the Hall of Fame by doves. It bothers me that we haven't been able to fix this defense in 6 god damn years. So I'm sorry if I can't pee myself after we beat Mark Sanchez and the Jets...we won't be facing Mark Sanchez's or Tim Tebows this post season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

No matter the stats, there are still many non-believers in the NFL that the Pats, because of the D, is SB worthy.  Since they went 2 - 3 to start the season, the team has been rolling, yet, only just now the Pats are even cracking the top 5 in power rankings. While other top flight teams are struggling against mid to poor teams, the Pats have steamrolled the same.  Just like the NCAA, it is the "appearance" judgement that is driving the Pats to be considered more lowly than most 8 - 3 teams. Folks can't get out of their minds all those big plays the Pats D has a tendancy to give up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very true. Need to get teams off the field on 3rd down in the big games.  Can't rely on the turnovers all the time especially in a championship or superbowl. I am more confident in the secondary this year though now and the line with a fit healthy Jones. Also the LB's with Spikes and Mayo are looking good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying coolade, but here is the dealio - I've watched this for 6 years now - we have an offense that is good enough to win it all and a defense that gets punched in the face in the playoffs. Last year we were lucky enough to face Tim Freaken Tebow!! That going to happen again? Last year we were fortunate enough to have a receiver drop a ball that is right in his hands in the endzone. Then we got a kicker to miss a field goal...we going to have that luxury this post season?

I have grown spoiled...I expect to win a Super Bowl when we have the best coach and QB in NFL history together. How long has it been? Almost ten years? This team is not suppossed to be judged like a team that is just happy to be there. I fully realize that I'm witnessing one of the greatest runs in NFL history, I also realize why it's happening - it's because we have a QB that will be carried into the Hall of Fame by doves. It bothers me that we haven't been able to fix this defense in 6 god damn years. So I'm sorry if I can't pee myself after we beat Mark Sanchez and the Jets...we won't be facing Mark Sanchez's or Tim Tebows this post season.

[/QUOTE]

Hear ya...  as aggravating as last year was, it was last year and there are numerous positive changes that have been made to focus on.  here's my top 5:

1.  O'Brien gone.  Listened to an interview he did the other day on ESPN radio.  He is a complete fraud.  Everything out of his mouth sounded "good" like he practiced it in front of a mirror 50 times.  he had no clue what he was doing last year.  The offense was schizophrenic.  no sensible running game strategy.  Blame him. 

2. New personnel on defense.  Pats have added 50% new blood to beleaguered last years unit.  Spikes healthy, Hightower, Jones,dennard , talib, Gregory... And in lesser roles Wilson ebner, Francis. These guys bring a new athletic younger element to the D, which makes them better.  Results are showing up steadily.

3.  MCC at safety.  Best athlete out there can make more plays from fs position and cover more ground.

4.  Brady hungrier than ever.  Losing 2nd SB has to be burning in this guy... More so than usual, even though that's hard to believe.  Hes throwing it as well as he ever has.

5. Last but not least... Running game.  This is related to #1...  The usage of all the backs makes Brady's job easier and he plays better when he's not stressed.  O'Brien stressed Brady out.  This year guys like vereen are showing what they can do, woodhead is steady, and Ridley is putting up 1000 yards... NICE.

I haven't been this excited about this team since the summer of 2007 when those pieces started falling into place and I predicted  "historic" results.  That team fell just short but this team may be better because it is younger and faster at key positions like running back and front seven...  I'm really looking forward to great things for this team for not only this year but many more...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Come on mthurl, The receiver didn't just drop the ball. A Pats db actually knocked it out of his hands!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Come on mthurl, The receiver didn't just drop the ball. A Pats db actually knocked it out of his hands!

[/QUOTE]

I don't have long to talk because I'm going to the game to start the tailgate, but this is a total crock of BS.

The Patriot's wouldn't even have gone to  the Super Bowl last season if not for the defense... period.  Not only did Sterling Moore make that play at the end of the AFC championship game but Brady threw two picks and no TD's, defense kept the game close the whole time.  

This year's defense is getting better because they're getting better as a unit, not because we added one magical player.  

Talib and Dennard are solid press corners, with a really fast, rangey safety behind them we can gamble more, this is kind of like the scheme the Seahawks run with their oversized corners.  

The anti defense league will blame the defense for everything and give no credit where credit is due.  This offense wouldn't be nearly as potent if the defense didn't give them the ball so often and many times with the shortened field.  All the hand wringing about the defense is by people who refuse to accept Belichick's defensive scheme and think yards is a reason to complain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Ok, here it goes...we have an offense that scores points, lots of them, because of that teams have to throw the ball to keep up with them. I think because it's hard to ask an oppossing offense to score 30 points (like we do) you end up having infferior quaterbacks throwing the ball all over the field...which leads to turnovers. You can also throw in the fact that our secondary has been so poor that these very same offenses have the luxury of being able to extend drives and be out on the field longer than they should...hence increasing the chance for turnovers. I see it every week - so and so average QB drives the ball up the field on us - then so and so subpar QB throws an absolutely stupid pass that gets tipped and picked off.

The other reason is Spikes is a pure...professional hitter. Just a superior blend of size, power, instinct and aim. How many turnovers has this guy caused? Is Talib a reason as well? I don't see how he can hurt the situation - he is closer to the receiver than anyone we've had here since Asante. 

[/QUOTE]

So you are trying to sell us that we only get turnovers because we have a lead and qbs take chances and throw into coverages? Big hole in your theory is that we are I think 8th in INTs but lead the lg in forced fumbles. How does playing with a lead help our defenses ability to strip the ball from the carriers hands?

By the way don't answer that because it doesn't. Surely you must recognize the talent level of a defense that "forces" turnovers as much as we do......or again is it just dumb luck?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

We've seen this from the defense the past couple of years but once they get to the playoffs the turnovers stop; thus, I will reserve judgement until after the season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you are trying to sell us that we only get turnovers because we have a lead and qbs take chances and throw into coverages? Big hole in your theory is that we are I think 8th in INTs but lead the lg in forced fumbles. How does playing with a lead help our defenses ability to strip the ball from the carriers hands?

By the way don't answer that because it doesn't. Surely you must recognize the talent level of a defense that "forces" turnovers as much as we do......or again is it just dumb luck?

[/QUOTE]

Ok so I answer your question and even mention Spikes forcing fumbles and I guess you choose to ignore any of it and turn it into I think it must be dumb luck. Nice.

how about I just do this then? Pats defense rules!!! Party at Mayo's house tonight bOys!! We getting down...we getting down! Cover two? I'll cover you! We bad, yeah we bad. We makeum Sanchez look poor, man. Just poor. Wait to dem playoffs man...just wait! Oh god....only if Benny was here...we be rippin it up for shizzell my nizzell. Hey where Edelman at? He bringing duh beers!!??

Sections
Shortcuts