Pats D, playoff turnaround?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Pats D, playoff turnaround?

I am sure we all remember 2006. What I always think about is how the Colts defense that year was horrendous and how many questions they had going into the playoffs. Much like our Pats this year, the Colts had a high powered offense to make up for it's defense's short comings. However, come playoff time this 2006 Colts defense stepped up and found their swagger. They brought more pass rush and their secondary finally could cover guys. Again, I am still shocked by their turnaround, their defense looked almost elite.

Can this team do this? With a bye week and some injured players coming back, I think some guys will be a little rusty and I know we lost Carter, but I could see this Pats defense finally putting together a string of dominate games. What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Re: Pats D, playoff turnaround?

Its definitly possible.  Guys have been getting hurt and I like what I'm seeing from other guys stepping up.

Here's a thought (sorry to hi-jack your thread bro)

Ochocino could be the X-factor in the playoffs....

Please hear me out:

Ok, I think all of us would agree not to put anything past BB.  What if (and I mean a BIG what if). This whole Ochocinco "bust" has been a plan all along?

BB is no doubt the best coach ever.  3 SB's and all kinds of playoffs wins.  But lets face it, the NFL is a copy-cat league and other coaches have figured him out some (hey, its gonna happen).  What if he has this plan to make Ocho look like he is washed up?

Think about it for a second.  Most of the TB and Ocho missques that I can remember were on 1st or second downs, etc (he did have that dropped pass against Buffalo though).  But have you noticed that Ocho has had some big 3rd down catches? When they really needed it?  I thought he played a great game when he HAD to come in for Branch.

Lets say the Pats draw the Steelers in the 1st round.  Palamalu wouldn't help out covering Ocho because everyone knows Brady never really targets him, etc.  But if that was the plan all along, now you have this Pro-Bowl WR out there burning everyone left and right.  We all know what Ocho can do and has done with Cincy.  Now teams would have to scramble to change their game plan on the Pats.

I've been reading how hard Ocho plays in practice, etc, etc and asked myself "how does this not translate to the field?"  Maybe this is why?  Like I said, I know it sounds crazy, but if Ocho come out flying in the playoffs I will say this - I will NOT be surprised one bit, and if ever find out years down the road that it was BB who orchestrated the whole plot... again, I would not be surprised.

Thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Ocho is good, but to keep him in such a small role just to break him out come playoff time...well, I wouldn't put it past BB. Problem is that Brady throws the ball where he expects you to be. Ocho misses routes at least one or twice in a game. I hope practice is going well, come playoff time we will need to run some packages out there that teams haven't seen yet. Brady does have many options before him, so Ocho is going to have to find ways to get open if he wants more work.

One thing I can say about this offense, a nice reliable run game could help this defense come playoff time. I really think BB held Ridley back to keep him fresh come playoff time. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

My only concern with Ridley is protecting the football.  But I really like the Ridley / Woodhead combo right now.  If there is a 1st and goal - give it to BJGE.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The D has issues but we've seen it make plays in key situations.  If the Pats get Spikes and Chung back then I see a definite improvement coming.  For the most part, I liked what I saw in the second half of both the Denver and Miami games. I do believe that the potential is there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

In Response to Re: Pats D, playoff turnaround?:
    Its definitly possible.  Guys have been getting hurt and I like what I'm seeing from other guys stepping up. Here's a thought (sorry to hi-jack your thread bro) Ochocino could be the X-factor in the playoffs.... Please hear me out: Ok, I think all of us would agree not to put anything past BB.  What if (and I mean a BIG what if). This whole Ochocinco "bust" has been a plan all along? BB is no doubt the best coach ever.  3 SB's and all kinds of playoffs wins.  But lets face it, the NFL is a copy-cat league and other coaches have figured him out some (hey, its gonna happen).  What if he has this plan to make Ocho look like he is washed up? Think about it for a second.  Most of the TB and Ocho missques that I can remember were on 1st or second downs, etc (he did have that dropped pass against Buffalo though).  But have you noticed that Ocho has had some big 3rd down catches? When they really needed it?  I thought he played a great game when he HAD to come in for Branch. Lets say the Pats draw the Steelers in the 1st round.  Palamalu wouldn't help out covering Ocho because everyone knows Brady never really targets him, etc.  But if that was the plan all along, now you have this Pro-Bowl WR out there burning everyone left and right.  We all know what Ocho can do and has done with Cincy.  Now teams would have to scramble to change their game plan on the Pats. I've been reading how hard Ocho plays in practice, etc, etc and asked myself "how does this not translate to the field?"  Maybe this is why?  Like I said, I know it sounds crazy, but if Ocho come out flying in the playoffs I will say this - I will NOT be surprised one bit, and if ever find out years down the road that it was BB who orchestrated the whole plot... again, I would not be surprised. Thanks.
    Posted by IraqSteve

WOW

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Actually, the Colts had a good pass defense in 2006. They had a terrible run defense because Bob Sanders played the Polamalu roaming safety role that made him play closer to the line and blow up the run. He was injured in the last...6 games(?). He sured up the run when he returned. 

The Pats defense is just terrible, they won't win a game in the playoffs, but they can keep the game close for Brady to win it out. Unless Chung can sure up the DBs and protect the run with Spikes, nothing will change come playoff time. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The D may improve for the playoffs, but this team needs to solidify its running game to make a run in the SB.   You have to kill the clock against high powered offenses like GB or NO.    We need a Corey Dillon or Antowain Smith type.  A grinder with power.  Maybe it's Ridley/Woodhead as IraqSteve mentioned.  It isn't BJGE and his 3 yards a carry. 
    Posted by ipot

Killing the clock is great as long as they're not scoring fast between your long drives.  The strategy works best if you can get the lead and hold it.  If they're scoring a lot, though, you almost have to try to keep up to stay in the game.  This is the problem with the Pats' defense.  It can give up points quickly to good passing teams and this makes a ball control offense a lot less attractive. What we don't want is to eat up so much clock that we take time away from Brady if he needs it to bring us back from a deficit. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

No turnaround.  They have been good when it counts, that's all there is to it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

First, I don't buy BB holding back Ocho just to release him on the opponent in the playoffs. If he was producing, he would see the field more often, and thus the ball. I do think however that the opportunity to target him more is a real possibility. Teams will again be keying in on Wes and Gronk. Ocho and Hern need to pick it up and become the release valve.

Look at the way the Steelers played us first time around. Very physical with Wes and Gronk. Not letting them release, bumping them 5-15 yards downfield (no calls), etc. Combine that with a healthy dose of Ridley and Woody and the balance is there.

On the D...I don't think a turnaround is feasible. At this point in the season, they are what they are. Give up tons of yards, hold opponents scoring down, opportunistic at times. A giant improvement however would be if McCourty can somehow find his inner self and start playing lights out. He is either giving up 50 yard pass plays, or makes brilliant breaks on the ball and dislodges the ball from the receivers hands. If he can limit his big play mistakes, and we can stop the run, this defense the way it is playing should be good enough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Turnaround ???? NO

Spikes and Chung will help... but that´s it !

It is what it is... Let´s hope they can get some TO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

WYSIWYG - scrubs being coached up as best as possible.

The Patriots have a decent chance of getting back to the SB. With a first round bye; possibly home field advantage throught AFC playoffs IF they can beat the bills in the last game.

I think they improve their odds IF the offense can overcome their slow starts, the offense doesn't turn the ball over, AND the defense gets 1-2 takeaways each game. Naaaah, I'm not asking for much....lol Laughing

The Patriots are very had to beat when they play ahead.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

First of all I don't buy into the theory that BB plays downs for tomorrow, he plays every down as it presents it self, fast & furious. Can you imagine the atmosphere (look Ostinko I want you to flub the next one), especially with everybody else busting theit a@@ out there I'm quite sure Vince would have something to say.

Not Bills way

Lets win this one            

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

oh, saving ocho for and end of the season breakout? hmmm, no, I think that's to far fetched. Almost like saying that come playoff time, we're gonna have the best pass rush and secondary.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Back in 02 and 04 we seemed to do just enough to win games. I know the defense is not as good, but we are winning, that being said if a team limits us under 30 pt's in the playoffs I think we likely loose that game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Anyone know anything new on Chung?  Been a long time since we've seen him.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I just made an observation about our defense, it's not like we have a defense that can step up and win a game for us single handedly. If they pulled off a turnaround like the 06 Colts I would be damn impressed and feel very good about winning the SB. I trust our offense to play big in the playoffs more than anything. Sure the offense is not perfect but our defense is what needs the turn around if we plan on stopping teams like Pitt and Balt.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatthefaulk. Show whatthefaulk's posts

In Response to Re: Pats D, playoff turnaround? : Ocho is great in practice and has outperformed Gaffney in less reps, as he sits behind All Pro #1 and #2 options Gronk and Welker, with Branch and Hernandez. So, no, your premise isn't really accurate. If Branch and Hernandez weren't here, you'd be correct.   Considering Moss wouldn't run more than like 4 routes in this offense and Ocho has certainly run more than 4 effectively this year in this offense, yet with far fewer chances, it's not that far fetched to think Ocho could play a big role in the playoffs if he's ignored and on the field.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

I've seen Ocho run 10 yrd out routes effectivley (1 a game). Other than that, I've seen miss timed slant routes, in routes, and dropped balls on his one open deep route. I want to see his succeed on this team. His progress has been marginal.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Anyone know anything new on Chung?  Been a long time since we've seen him.
    Posted by soups

This was written before the Miami game. Hopefully he makes the Post Season

"Chung broke his media silence Thursday to report that the foot injury that has kept him sidelined since early November is finally starting to feel better and that he expects to return soon.

“It’s just a day-to-day process, keep working,” Chung, who has been limited in practices throughout the week, said. “Keep doing whatever I have to do to get better.”

Sections
Shortcuts