Pats D tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Pats D tonight

While Henne did have a fantastic game against us, I still have to be somewhat excited (mostly) by what I saw from the D tonight.  4 sacks and more hurries than I could count.  He was still able to do a lot of accurate throwing while on the run though, and found Marshal who was mostly a mismatch against our secondary. 

Haynesworth didn't set the world on fire tonight, but he did collapse the pocket on a few occassions and chased Henne out of the pocket a couple times.  All in all I thought what I saw was mostly promising, certainly could have been better, but it also certainly will get better. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Pats D tonight

In Response to Pats D tonight:
    [QUOTE]While Henne did have a fantastic game against us, I still have to be somewhat excited (mostly) by what I saw from the D tonight.  4 sacks and more hurries than I could count.  He was still able to do a lot of accurate throwing while on the run though, and found Marshal who was mostly a mismatch against our secondary.  Haynesworth didn't set the world on fire tonight, but he did collapse the pocket on a few occassions and chased Henne out of the pocket a couple times.  All in all I thought what I saw was mostly promising, certainly could have been better, but it also certainly will get better. 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE] The Patriots D played better than Henne's stats showed,if the Refs had called this game properly they would called Incognito for 8 more offensive holdings but because they didn't want too upset the dolphins fans they let him get away with holding Haynesworth on just about every other play when Big Al was in there.Also RasI Dowling had little or no problem handling Marshall in fact he pushed Brandon around letting him know that he wasn't be being Defensed by a midget DB. All in all a decent effort in the sweltering heat down here in Miami...Also Chung brought the wood all night long!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Dolphins had a good game plan on the first drive eating up half the quarter making the Pats D tired.  I was a little worried with the older guys if they kept doing that drive after drive.  Luckily they didn't.

I think after that drive the D got into a good flow and did good. I really thought Carter and Ellis would have got more pressure on Henne.

Over all, after game one I'm happy with how they played especially since the Dolphins always play the Pats good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I was worried after the first drive.  I just thought "here we go again...."  I was relieved to see things tighten up on subsequent drives.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

It was a mixed bag in my view, the Dolphins first drive was really nicely called, fortunetaly they weren't able to replicate that pace for the remained of the game.  In the 2nd half the defense largely settled down, and the depth on the D-line was apparent in comparison to Miami's huffing and puffing lineman.  The big plays are concerning, but Brandon Marshall is always going to be a challenge and I thought McCourty fought him pretty hard.  Pass rush is much improved, Henne had to move from his spot pretty frequently.  Gotta think if they can stay healthy the combination of Wilfork and Albert subbing with Pryor and Wright; it should pay serious dividends.  Barrett/Brown were both invisible, Chung plays fast.  My 2c

Edit: Dowling looks the part

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pilillo. Show pilillo's posts

i was going to say the same thing, we might have won an "easy" game but you gotta keep in mind that CHAD HENNE had over 400 yards against us, and the fins arent that great of an offensive team... the true test will be next week. i wouldnt be too cocky with this win even though our offense looked GREAT but our D was better than last year but we did give up plenty of TDs and 20+yard plays to Henne

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Henne threw up a 93. Hit a lot of big passes. Reason to be concerned. Dowling looked pretty good overall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

some good, some bad, a lot of things to correct

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I say all in all it looks like we hit on our first two draft picks this year. I thought Solder played his as s off agianst Wake, and Ras-I definitely looked the part! Thought McCourty struggled for the most part, but we know that wont continue. The D-line looked vastly improved over last year. Heck when Miami had 4th and goal from the 1/2 yard line and didnt even try to run, that speaks volumes about our D-line controlling the line of scrimmage. All in all a good start, but lots more work to do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Pats D tonight:
    [QUOTE]i was going to say the same thing, we might have won an "easy" game but you gotta keep in mind that CHAD HENNE had over 400 yards against us, and the fins arent that great of an offensive team... the true test will be next week. i wouldnt be too cocky with this win even though our offense looked GREAT but our D was better than last year but we did give up plenty of TDs and 20+yard plays to Henne
    Posted by pilillo[/QUOTE]

Probably 150 of those yards were garbage and yes I hate when they go to that soft D.  1 TD was an interception and another was garbage. They were going 4 downs the last quarter.  The Pats  D actually only gave up 10 pts (not counting trash), 2 3rd down conversions and had 4 sacks and many hurries..
     If that's not enough it's week one of a totally new D.   5 games this week where both teams scored over 300 yrds each.  Why the hate?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Pats D tonight:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Pats D tonight : The Patriots D played better than Henne's stats showed,if the Refs had called this game properly they would called Incognito for 8 more offensive holdings but because they didn't want too upset the dolphins fans they let him get away with holding Haynesworth on just about every other play when Big Al was in there....
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

i completely agree. i was screaming for holding on one play where an OL wrapped his arms around the legs of a pats DL (I believe it was albert) from behind to prevent a sack. no call!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

front 7 (except for anderson) did not press as hard in the 4th. i think this is fine given the short week ahead.

barring injuries, i think the d will improve still. am concenred about dowling's injury history. he looks good though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Wait for Spikes !!!

Ras i played well

bodden let an int go, dmc another

i liked the rush

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I thought the rush was excellent. Henne found open guys quickly and got the ball out, so some concerns there in the secondary. But the encouraging stat here is 2 of 14 on third down conversions. I know it's just one game, but that's a huge improvement over last year. Also, tremendous efforts on the goal-line defense.

If Brady was not miraculously intercepted, then Dolphins scored 10 points in non-garbage time. Obviously, you can't just take that away, but I don't expect Brady to be throwing near-pick 6's every game to give opposing offenses a chance to score on the 10 yard line.

I think it's fair to say that this defense has improved over last year's, and it looks like it's only going to get better as the season goes on. If we prove we can run the football effectively, then we are going to be absolutely deadly come playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts