Pats defense holds Dolphins offense to 2-14 3rd down conversion.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Pats defense holds Dolphins offense to 2-14 3rd down conversion.

Defense su#ks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Pats defense holds Dolphins offense to 2-14 3rd down conversion.

The fins looked good on their first drive, and not again until garbage time. 

This pats "D" has had huge problems with third down last season. Their problem last night was a few big gainers. I'll take that for week one ... because it is easier to sort out most of the time, and probably has a lot to do with playing with a green safety. Having four sacks and 2-14 3rd down shows that something structural and fundamental has improved. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

they were noticeably more aggressive on the pass rush on third downs last night than i remember them being over the last two years. this d would be scary if the secondary figures things out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

4 sacks, 10 qb hits.

where's the pass rush? lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Truely it's the secondary holding this defense back a little. We are very thin at safety, we have some CB still getting settled in like Ras I trying. What I missed last night was the awesome pass rush Mayo had in the preseason. However, Haynesworth did about everything I expected him to. Also, where was Ellis?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I don't know what to think about that.  On the one hand it makes me feel good.  On the other hand I see that stat and expect the other team to be held to under 10 points.  It tells me they got a lot of 1st downs before getting to 3rd down.

Next week is a better test of where our D is.  I don't like being overly positive or negative at this point in the season.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Pats defense holds Dolphins offense to 2-14 3rd down conversion.:
    [QUOTE]The fins looked good on their first drive, and not again until garbage time.  This pats "D" has had huge problems with third down last season. Their problem last night was a few big gainers. I'll take that for week one ... because it is easier to sort out most of the time, and probably has a lot to do with playing with a green safety. Having four sacks and 2-14 3rd down shows that something structural and fundamental has improved. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

definite improvement. more consistent pressure, better coordination and communication should come. better lb play necessary.

AND 4 OUT OF 5 CONVERTED 4TH DOWNS HAS GOTTA STOP.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In Response to Re: Pats defense holds Dolphins offense to 2-14 3rd down conversion.:
    [QUOTE]The fins looked good on their first drive, and not again until garbage time.  This pats "D" has had huge problems with third down last season. Their problem last night was a few big gainers. I'll take that for week one ... because it is easier to sort out most of the time, and probably has a lot to do with playing with a green safety. Having four sacks and 2-14 3rd down shows that something structural and fundamental has improved. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
     With 5:44 the Dolphins almost got it to be a one TD game. Granted they were throwing the ball and trying to come from behind but it was hardly garbage time. Out of 32 NFL teams we ranked 31st after game one. Have we improved on 3rd down conversions? Yes! Were the 4sacks and several key hurries (Fletcher had at least 2 ) a big plus? For sure! But was the secondary torched by an average NFL QB? I think the honest answer to that is: big time!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

i'm not worried about the D at all. i was more interested in seeing what the offense would look like. NE defenses always get better as the season goes on. new system, new players, old players playing new positions...etc. they will be fine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Fair point Trouts. I would argue the other side of it that when you take away the 1st drive by the Fins and most of the 4rth qtr prevent defense then they didn't do much. Still though when you look at Chad henne's stat line of a career high 400 something yards it makes you a lil nervous.

I agree with Caraway that the Chargers will obviously be a better test but I would be surprised to see the same game plan against them.

I don't think you can discount 2 of 14 against any team on 3rd down conversions. They had to get to 3rd down 14 times in order to fail 12 of them. Know what I'm saying!?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Undefeatable

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The 2/4/5 gives up something in run defense but it makes up for it with more pressure in the passing game, I'd like to see the 3/4 on early downs, even against teams that don't have a power runner in between the tackles like the Dolphins.  

They ran on us early, we switched to a 3 man front and they were done running... eventually the rubber will meet the road and we'll have an amazing defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

D is going to get eaten up by a team who can run the ball on the corners and complete a screen pass. Miami is a terrible team to rate the Pats defense on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats defense holds Dolphins offense to 2-14 3rd down conversion. :  With 5:44 the Dolphins almost got it to be a one TD game. Granted they were throwing the ball and trying to come from behind but it was hardly garbage time. Out of 32 NFL teams we ranked 31st after game one. Have we improved on 3rd down conversions? Yes! Were the 4sacks and several key hurries (Fletcher had at least 2 ) a big plus? For sure! But was the secondary torched by an average NFL QB? I think the honest answer to that is: big time!
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call it garbage time either. However, the Pats were clearly not pressuring as much when Henne went on a roll in the 4th to cut it to 2 scores.

If you look at the scoring breakdown, Miami picked up 7 right away, and nothing else in the 1st half after that opening drive. Not even a field goal. The D stepped up and adjusted.

Miami scored next in the 3rd on the Brady interception that put them on the 3. After that it was 1 field goal, and not a TD until late in the 4th.

There were big chunks of time in this game where Miami was moving it but nothing to show for it. If that makes us the 31st ranked D in the NFL, I'll take it.
    We won by 14. If you discount the Brady interception which led to an easy TD, and if we dialed up the pressure late in the 4th instead of playing zone and more of a prevent stype D, that could of easily been a 21 point win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]Fair point Trouts. I would argue the other side of it that when you take away the 1st drive by the Fins and most of the 4rth qtr prevent defense then they didn't do much. Still though when you look at Chad henne's stat line of a career high 400 something yards it makes you a lil nervous. I agree with Caraway that the Chargers will obviously be a better test but I would be surprised to see the same game plan against them. I don't think you can discount 2 of 14 against any team on 3rd down conversions. They had to get to 3rd down 14 times in order to fail 12 of them. Know what I'm saying!?!?!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
     I didn't discount the 2 for 14 conversion rate. In fact I was elated with it. What about the 4th down conversion rate? Didn't that bother you? That with 5:44 to go that this was 2 feet away from being a 7 point game left me a little uneasy. We had a couple of very quick 3 & outs and it just looked as though it was too easy for Henne. The secondary got torched and it's hard to dress it up any other way than that. Will they get better? I certainly hope so but the last few years give me pause. SD should give us a better idea of how that's gonna work out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I'll withhold judgement for a few weeks about this defense but Henne played a pretty gutsy game. He completed several passes as he was about to get clobbered. The Dolphins have a pretty good receiving corps. Marshall is a pro bowler obviously, Bess is very underrated, Hartline as a number 3 is decent. Reggie Bush has always been a good receiving back and Fasano made a couple of great catches. Maybe the Dolphins offense is better than we or the Pats expected and that's why that first drive was so succesful. I don't care if garbage time is included or not, 400+ yards is impressive. How many times has Brady done it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It's good to remember that the Patriots are now 29th in the NFL in passing defense yards given up for the 2011 season.  The takeaway is that the defense bends like silly putty for certain first downs that don't in fact cost them points on the board, then they tighten up a bit before giving up touchdowns and also before allowing anyone else into field goal range.  Also, when the Patriots are two touchdowns ahead they'll give up about 79 yards but they'll really fight over that last one foot of turf.

What else are they doing to give up so much yardage?  Why, they're guarding the endzone, they're hitting the quarterback left and right, and they're hoping for an easily picked off, inaccurate and wobbly pass from a QB on the run.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Look at the Miami scores. 1. The Pats gave up a TD on the first drive, that was not good, Pats made some adjustments and Miami went 3 and out 4 straght times. 2. Miami got a 'gimme' short field TD off of the tipped interception (and there was good coverage on the TD reception), can't blame the D for this one. 3. The Dolphins had a drive for a FG in the 3rd quarter. 4. Miami got a garbage time TD with 2:05 left in the game. So while the game was meaningful, the defense was really only responsible for giving up 10 points. If they can do that, I dont care how many yards they give up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE] I'll withhold judgement for a few weeks about this defense but Henne played a pretty gutsy game. He completed several passes as he was about to get clobbered. The Dolphins have a pretty good receiving corps. Marshall is a pro bowler obviously, Bess is very underrated, Hartline as a number 3 is decent. Reggie Bush has always been a good receiving back and Fasano made a couple of great catches. Maybe the Dolphins offense is better than we or the Pats expected and that's why that first drive was so succesful. I don't care if garbage time is included or not, 400+ yards is impressive. How many times has Brady done it?
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]

they have great talent at skill positions AND THEY HAVE DABOL who as their off coordinator is gonna make that offense good period (even with henne). if they had a top qb, in the afc, only a team like ne would be able score enough to beat them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

Fins got 215 of their 488 total yards in the 4th quarter when we were up just making them eat up clock.  Not to mention the half yard line stop.

The defense is going to be very dangerous once they gel.  Not sure if anyone heard Colvin on 98.5 earlier this week.  Said it took him the off season and preseason to fully grasp the defense here and that the new guys should start to be comfortable after a few weeks into the regular season.

Sections
Shortcuts