Pats defense will be elite in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Pats defense will be elite in 2013

I think Jones takes the next step along with Hightower. hopefully Denard and Talib  stay healthy.   If Kelly has something left he will be nice insurance and to pair with Wilfork. 

Discuss...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

Re: Pats defense will be elite in 2013

In response to Brady2Moss07's comment:

I think Jones takes the next step along with Hightower. hopefully Denard and Talib  stay healthy.   If Kelly has something left he will be nice insurance and to pair with Wilfork. 

Discuss...

Ideally, yes, but can they stay healthy?  The playoffs have been hugely disappointing with the D.  They should have drafted a real playmaker at CB and a higher profile WR.  I couldn't believe that Hunter and Patterson were still available at #29.  Wow. I hope BB doesn't regret this.  I don' think I can watch another draft. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It has potential. I don't think I'd call it elite but a top 15, it's a good posibility. The biggest issue last year was no interior pressure and QB's had all day. Not to mention a porous secondary. Provided T. Wilson, Jones, Hightower take a step up, Collins can give good coverage ability, both A Wilson and Kelley can give you 80-90% of what they had 2 years ago on 50% of the total snaps, and barring injury this D should improve from last year without a doubt. Armstead should give more then Deadrick and Pryor too so that should help a little but I don't think they are elite. There are a lot of if's tossed in there and I still worry about the depth of the CB's past the starters (I have no faith in Ras staying healthy, not sure Ryan can give more then sub nickel snaps in his rook year, and Dennard with the Pats second year curse). I'd also like to see some more interior depth but overall I think the S and LB cores are very solid

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Certain parts may be elite, but this defense as a whole isn't that great. Last year in the playoffs one guys get injured and the whole defense falls apart. Who did we, honestly, get that makes you think this defense will start winning us games?

The guy we drafted are all going to require a year or odor developmental time. Even Jones declined at the end of last year. Hope he takes a turn, but I'll take a wait and see approach with these guys Aries drafting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Big questions about the D line.  Is Abraham coming in?  Who is going to provide an interior rush with VW?  For that matter, who is going to give VW some rest.  Love and Deaderick are not anywhere near VW's level.  Conventional wisdom said they needed a DT.  Especially after the release of the oft-injured Pryor, I expected at least one DT drafted in the first 3 rounds.  We got zero.   So, I guess they expect big things from Armstead.  I hope they are right.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

Certain parts may be elite, but this defense as a whole isn't that great. Last year in the playoffs one guys get injured and the whole defense falls apart. Who did we, honestly, get that makes you think this defense will start winning us games?

The guy we drafted are all going to require a year or odor developmental time. Even Jones declined at the end of last year. Hope he takes a turn, but I'll take a wait and see approach with these guys Aries drafting.

???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I think it's very telling that 3 of our first four picks were on defense - it's because we need improvement there. So I think elite might be a stretch. I like our two starting corners heading into camp much better than last year. I think this Collins kid could potentially give us a guy that can pin his ears back and get after the quarterback opposite Jones on third downs. I think that was missing from the team last year and I think Belichick appreciated the speed rush Mark Anderson gave us two years ago...I can see Collins maybe filling that type of roll.

So I think there will be improvement.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

BB blows another Draft load on trying to improve his Crappy Defense which is composed of the worst back 7 in league history.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It'll be better than last year, but elite is a stretch. Not sure where Collins fits in, but we'll see. 

I don;t see the Pas going back to a 3-4. We only have 4-3 Ends, not a lot of 3-4 players. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

It's easy to forget about what are D was doing last year at its high point because it didn't last but for a few games.  A lot of sacks, a lot of interceptions, a lot of blitzes.  Then Jones went down with an ankle injury, Crable (and yes, he was playing lights out too) got suspended, and we were just finding our groove again when Talib went lame as well.  That last one was a game changer as he was the main piece in the secondary and it had a domino effect as everyone got shifted around.  Sadly, that was the end of that.

The biggest glaring need from last year on D was a need for depth.  Well you can only have so many starter level players on your team, and we have some guys with injury concerns so depth was and is still a problem.  The other issue was covering TE's with our safeties and linebackers.  We added Wilson and picked up one hell of an athlete today in Collins.  Also added a little more depth to our corner position with Ryan.  Also, I know a lot of people want to write him off, but Rasi was playing VERY well last year in that brief period he was able to see the field.  He's our wild card.  He either continues to live life on the IR, or he gets back on the field and could replace Dennard as our #2 corner. 

As for pass rush, expect Jones to have a big year.  Can't see this guy having a sophmore slump, but just getting better.  I'm looking for double digit sacks.  Nink had 8 sacks last year and has just gotten better and better every year.  Really looking forward to seeing him on that opposite side, but we also have a number of other options there as well.  One of whom is another wild card, that being the guy from Canada league.  I expect we will see more rushing the passer from the lineback position as well.  Spikes was laying QB's out last year, and expect the leash to come off of Hightower this year.

Will our defense be elite?  The jury's out and only time will tell.  But I for one am really excited to see this unit take the field to see what they can do.  It's all going to come down to staying healthy though. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Anybody think Abraham or Freeney still come in?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patri was in ots offense is the culprit for postseason woes,not necessarily the entire offense just the guys dropping the key passes! Sorry Wes! Also it doesn't help when you are driving and the RB fumbles the ball! Sorry Steven! Say what you will but the only time the defense truly stank was the AFC Championship game last year and that was largely in part due to the injury to Talib. As for the Secondary adding the Rutgers SS and CB at the same time gives an almost complete Rutgers secondary! We only need one more guy and we'll have a complete set.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

We had the 9th rated run defense and the 9th ranked scoring defense last year - so it wasn't dreadful. If we remain relatively healthy I think we can improve on that and cut down on passing yards. Elite ...?

I like the draft and the FA moves so far. I think Collins fills a real need for speed at the end/OLB position. i like the CB (hopefully only needed for depth and to give starters a rest.) And I am very happy with the WR. 

And someone mentioned A. Wilson who I think is a solid one year (maybe more) addition. Harmon was an 'out-of-left-field' pick, but as I thought about it, maybe BB sees Harmon as an understudy for A.Wilson for when he retires/gets cut/breaks down. Still would have prefered a different pick, and the slow submission of the pcik suggest that the Pat's were working on trading out of that pick and it fell through at the last minute. (Not dissimilar to what happend with the Wilson pick last year.)

As for the WR taken between #29 and #59 - don't think the Pat's were interested in any of them in that range. Patterson is a great athlete who is raw, doesn't run good routes, and has red flags for ability to learn. Hunter has red flags on durability, and Woods ... not that good, with moderate tendancy to drop balls. Risk/Reward winner was Dobson. Nothing guaranteed, but I like it.

Overall on defense we have added 3.5 new DL, 0.5 new LB plus getting Fletcher back, and 3 new DBs plus RasI returning from injury. Not a bad haul and probably along with more continuity a better unit with more flexibility in the style/aggressiveness of the schemes.

Offense - which was #1 in scoring last year has gone through a big turnover in the pass catchers - TE and WR. I think it may be more diversified, but hard to talk about improving from #1, and it may slip a little. The QB, RBs, and OL are untouched. Be nice to replace the departed Thomas who provided great back up duty on the interior line.

The team as a whole may be a little more balanced between O and D.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to freediro's comment:

???

The ipad autocorrection on this site is atrocious. It was supposed to say "a year or two of developmental time."

I think BB would welcome signing either Abraham or Freeney to a 1 or 2 year contract. But, I bet he sticks with what he's got and hope the rookies last year make a bigger impact; ie. Jones and Hightower. With rumblings of more 34 defense style coming next year, who knows what BB really wants.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Easy offensive era until the Pats face more stellar, physical and elite opposing defenses. Especially come PO time. Let's see if non injuries and draftees reaching a semblance of what task they were picked for. It's a crap shoot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

define "elite".  Are you talking like top 4-5 in pts. against? In combination w/ moving from 29th to 10-15 in passing yards against? Are you talking red zone defense?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

They should be better, but it really depends on a number of young guys stepping up and if the FA signings work as anticipated.  You'd think Jones, Hightower and Dennard in year 2 should be better, and they all showed a lot of promise last year.  There is an intriguing mix of veteran and young talent on this team.     

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't see any major losses in talent, and between picking up a few new guys and having other guys gain another year of experience, I can only see it improving next season.  Elite?  Not sure, but I think they're headed in a positive direction. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

define "elite".  Are you talking like top 4-5 in pts. against? In combination w/ moving from 29th to 10-15 in passing yards against? Are you talking red zone defense?

I'm talking about shutting down the entire league. An, I don't know, I just think they are going to be very goods. I love our lbs if the corners can stay healthy I thinsomeone's and Hightower elevate their games this year. Arm stead and Collins should be a nice addition too