Pats Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Pats Defense

In Response to Pats Defense:
    If the Patriots defense can just be in the middle of the pack on passing defense the Pats will be in the SB again this year-most likely against the Packers. Our run defense is fine and will be improved with Hightower and Jones --it's our Pass Defense that needs to improve and be ranked somewhere around 14th-15th in the AFC and we will be fine.
    Posted by jimmytantric

Great news from Pats' camp...safety Steve Gregory is supposedly getting rave reviews for his performance, thus far. Both he and Patrick Chung looked good against the Saints. Each had an interception:  http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20120814-undersized-safety-gregory-drawing-rave-reviews-with-patriots.ece

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Defense:
    In Response to Re: Pats Defense : Oh I agree, pressure is that one thing that can cover up for so many other things. Truthfully the pressure last year was an improvement over what we had in previous seasons, but I think they were expecting something up the middle from Haynesworth (which of course didn't happen). Being able to rush with only four would be a dream come true, we wouldn't have to blitz with a linebacker and leave guys in coverage.
    Posted by mthurl

It definitly was an improvement but it was inconsistent. Last year when we applied pressure down to down the D look unstoppable. Unfortunately they couldn't carry pressure from series to series and many drives I saw the QB sitting back for 5s at a time when in the previous series he looked like he was running for his life. If Jones, Bequette, Scott, and Nin stay in rotation I think they can provide edge pressure and I have no doubt that will take pressure off of Wilfork, that only leaves the question if who ever is next to Wilfork can drive up the middle and collapse the pocket. If the middle gets pushed then or outside rush will get to the QB but we still need to pressure up the middle to succeed.

I do think this secondary group can hold for at least 3-4 seconds but anything past that is pushing is. Consistent pressure is what will make or break the Pats this year same as it was last year and 07' and 04' and 03' and 01'

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

2011 is over with, this is a new season and a different team. The defense is going to be very good this year, good enough to quiet the haters. For now we still have a few more weeks of hearing about how many yards they gave up last year as yards seem to mean more than points allowed. This year will be different, they have much more talent and some of the right guys for a BB defense. The LB's are going to be as good as any team in the league.

The offense is more of a concern IMO. The problem isn't Brady or any of the skill players but the line needs to get it together or it wont be long before we see Hoyer under center. They have the right o-line coach to do that though. 

If Brady and most of the key players stay healthy the Super Bowl is ours this year. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

I wouldnt say rock solid mighty.

There are def places they could use some help, and i think we are right on the door of having a top 10 all around defense.

Cut down on the long PIs. Work on securing recovering fumbles instead of try to score on a fumble. Consistent presure on the QB.

3 items which will turn us from middle of the pack defensively to top of the line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Defense : It definitly was an improvement but it was inconsistent. Last year when we applied pressure down to down the D look unstoppable. Unfortunately they couldn't carry pressure from series to series and many drives I saw the QB sitting back for 5s at a time when in the previous series he looked like he was running for his life. If Jones, Bequette, Scott, and Nin stay in rotation I think they can provide edge pressure and I have no doubt that will take pressure off of Wilfork, that only leaves the question if who ever is next to Wilfork can drive up the middle and collapse the pocket. If the middle gets pushed then or outside rush will get to the QB but we still need to pressure up the middle to succeed. I do think this secondary group can hold for at least 3-4 seconds but anything past that is pushing is. Consistent pressure is what will make or break the Pats this year same as it was last year and 07' and 04' and 03' and 01'
    Posted by PatsEng

Yeah, you're right, the pass rush was improved, but yet still inconsistent. There were still plenty of times that the QB was able to get way too comfortable back there and be confident. I would say that is probably true for most defenses, but when you add in our coverage problems it made for 3rd down problems.

Hopefully it will all look better this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

The Pats gave up 26 passing TDs last year which put them at 22nd; to get to middle of the pack, they would have to give up two fewer passing TDs
    Posted by provpats

If you look at a lot of the defensive stats the differences are small. The difference between the top 15 teams in points allowed is a TD. The top 10 are seperated by 6 points.

On the other hand the differences in yards allowed between the same rankings is huge. This is why Babe and the Brady excusers love the yard stat but conviniently ignore the scoring stat

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Defense : Did you mean 7 points or did you mean 7 points per game?  We know you like to try to misrepresent statistics.  I would hardly call the  55 yard difference between the the worst defense for the patsies and the 15th worst defense "huge".  In fact, It's tiny.  Imagine if you only had to go 55 yards to score a TD.  That pathetic patsie D would have given up a record amount of points. 
    Posted by JetMangione

Find another playmate child. I don't have time to donate to defective little boys today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to "Re: Pats Defense":
    In Response to Re: Pats Defense : So you're saying that 55 yards is a "huge" difference between 15 teams? Posted by JetMangione
    Points allowed is the only stat that matters. Points decide who wins. This is a new season and the Patriots are loaded. They will be top 5 in points allowed this year. Jones and Hightower will be 1 and 2 in defensive rookie of the year. Patriots will win the Super Bowl!

Sections
Shortcuts