Pats draft day trade scenario

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats draft day trade scenario

I dont see any QB this year worthy of top 10-15 status. Perhaps someone breaks in, but doubtful.

But I do see Jacks, Oak, Philly, Cleve, Ariz, Buff, TB maybe looking to get a QB at #29, and the PAts very willing to trade that pick for more picks.

Pats looking at DL and WR needs, most likely do not see a huge difference between that #29 pick and a day #2 pick.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Pats draft day trade scenario

Aaaall things are possible with Houdini (BB) drafting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Aaaall things are possible with Houdini (BB) drafting.

Ain't it the truth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I dont see any QB this year worthy of top 10-15 status. Perhaps someone breaks in, but doubtful.

But I do see Jacks, Oak, Philly, Cleve, Ariz, Buff, TB maybe looking to get a QB at #29, and the PAts very willing to trade that pick for more picks.

I think a QB will get drafted well before 29.  I agree that this class is pretty dam weak, but teams reach for QBs every year.  When was the last draft that the first QB went at the end of the first round?  Patrick Ramsey in 2002?  If teams are willing to draft guys like Locker, Ponder or Gabbert in the top 10-15 picks it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a guy like Smith go in that range as well, especially when you consider the risk is much lower with the new rookie wage scale.

That being said it wouldn't surprise me to see BB trade down for more picks since we don't have many and I agree with you that I don't see him taking a WR in the first.  To be honest I expect a lot of howling on draft day because I think we are going to take a corner and a WR which are two positions that have been pretty hit or miss in the past.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I posted this in the Draft Thread:

1.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Jacksonville Jaguars for the #33 overall pick, the #135 overall pick, and the #169 overall pick (643.3)

This trade is almost exactly even on the trade value chart; although Jacksonville may be interested in conserving their picks, they will likely have to sacrifice a package similar to this if they would like to re-enter the first round. Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, who conducted a private workout with the Jaguars, is receiving considerable interest from teams in the late first and early second rounds, so Jacksonville could be interested in leapfrogging the likes of San Francisco and Baltimore to secure him. Additionally, Jacksonville may be interested in a quarterback such as E.J. Manuel or Ryan Nassib in the late first, both of whom were privately worked out as well.

2.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Philadelphia Eagles for the #35 overall pick and the #101 overall pick (646)

Another trade with a very low difference in trade value between the two parties, such a move would offer New England an early fourth-round pick as compensation for moving down six spaces; this trade could be even more appealing than executing a swap with Jacksonville, as the Patriots have a deep roster which may be better served by adding a fourth-round talent than by accumulating mid-to-late-round picks. Philadelphia could potentially be interested in a quarterback such as Matt Barkley or E.J. Manuel, or in ensuring that they are not leapfrogged for a prospect such as Stanford junior tight end Zach Ertz or Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, both of whom have been in contact with the Eagles during the pre-draft process.

3.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Cincinnati Bengals for the #37 overall pick, the #118 overall pick, the #156 overall pick, and the #190 overall pick (634.4)

Making a trade with Cincinnati is slightly more difficult than trading with Jacksonville or Philadelphia, primarily because Cincinnati lacks a high fourth-round selection. If the Patriots are willing to take a slight loss on the trade value chart, they could potentially work out a trade resembling this with the Bengals, assuming Cincinnati is willing to part with a handful of mid-to-late-round picks. The most likely target for the Bengals at this point would be Florida strong safety Matt Elam, who would offer Cincinnati a complement for Reggie Nelson in the defensive backfield. If the Bengals are serious about landing Elam, they may feel required to trade ahead of the Baltimore Ravens, who may be considering Elam as Bernard Pollard’s successor; they interviewed the former Gator at the NFL Combine.

4.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Arizona Cardinals for the #38 overall pick, the #103 overall pick, and the #140 overall pick (644)

It may be somewhat wishful to expect Arizona to give up three picks in this year’s draft after trading for Carson Palmer, but the Cardinals should probably be looking for a long-term option at the quarterback position and may be interested in moving back into the first round for their favorite option, whether that’s Matt Barkley (who Arizona held a private workout with and also interviewed at the NFL Combine), or another quarterback prospect such as Mike Glennon or Ryan Nassib (both of whom were brought in for private workouts.) The Cardinals also held a private workout with Johnathan Cyprien, who, as mentioned before, appears likely to be selected at some point during the first-round.

5.            New England trades the #29 overall pick and the #91 overall pick (776) to the Tennessee Titans for the #40 overall pick, the #70 overall pick, and the #142 overall pick (775)

The other trades profiled in this article have involved just the #29 overall pick, but it may benefit New England more to include their third-round pick, #91 overall, in a trade similar to this one, which would allow New England to net an additional fifth-round pick while making a substantial move up the third-round draft board. Tennessee could be interested in getting ahead of teams such as Atlanta or Philadelphia for a tight end prospect such as Tyler Eifert; the Titans have also shown significant interest in this year’s crop of safeties, including Johnathan Cyprien, Matt Elam, and Eric Reid, all of whom held private workouts with Tennessee. If a prospect such as Louisiana St. middle linebacker Kevin Minter falls, that could interest the Titans as well.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/04/2013-nfl-draft-trade-down-scenarios.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

we need to trade up and get the #1 playmaker wide out.....im tired of this trading down stratergy and then watching the Julio Jones and AJ Greens go to other teams

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Two facts:

1. The draft is deep at key positions with not a big drop off into rounds 2 and 3.

2. The Pats have fewer draft picks than they like to have

Three... There are three facts:

1. The draft is deep at key positions with not a big drop off into rounds 2 and 3.

2. The Pats have fewer draft picks than they like to have

3. BB likes to trade down to increase draft value

Four... There are four facts....

Well, you get the picture. I expect BB to trade out of the first and maybe down a second time or with another pick in additon to the first round pick.

But some of the value may end up being an extra pick next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yeah I think if any year we should trade back it should be this one - for no other reason, but to accumalate more picks. With receiver being such a need, I can see us trading back and selecting one of the 7 or so that should be around for the second round. I do think however that if there is a guy sitting there at 29 that is highly rated and shouldn't be there, we should take him...and I don't really care what position it is. We always think we are strong at a certain spot, and then a week into training camp all the sudden that spot is decimated with injury. Draft the best guy...receiver or not...there will be others to take in the second.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I predict that BB will do the exact opposite of what we all think. He will keep all draft picks without trading up or down this year.

We don't have that many holes to fill.  We need a few more high impact players, especially at DL and WR,  we do not need to add more draft picks for the sake of getting more shots at more mediocre players.

If S. or J. Willimas or possibly Short are still on the board at 29, I bet that is the pick. If two or all three are still on the board, then we could trade down with reasonable asurances that one or more would be available very early in round 2.  I then pick the best WR available with the second round pick. and look to bolster OLB/DE, CB, OL, with best player at position available in the third and both 7s.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

1.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Jacksonville Jaguars for the #33 overall pick, the #135 overall pick, and the #169 overall pick (643.3)

This trade is almost exactly even on the trade value chart; although Jacksonville may be interested in conserving their picks, they will likely have to sacrifice a package similar to this if they would like to re-enter the first round. Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, who conducted a private workout with the Jaguars, is receiving considerable interest from teams in the late first and early second rounds, so Jacksonville could be interested in leapfrogging the likes of San Francisco and Baltimore to secure him. Additionally, Jacksonville may be interested in a quarterback such as E.J. Manuel or Ryan Nassib in the late first, both of whom were privately worked out as well.

2.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Philadelphia Eagles for the #35 overall pick and the #101 overall pick (646)

Another trade with a very low difference in trade value between the two parties, such a move would offer New England an early fourth-round pick as compensation for moving down six spaces; this trade could be even more appealing than executing a swap with Jacksonville, as the Patriots have a deep roster which may be better served by adding a fourth-round talent than by accumulating mid-to-late-round picks. Philadelphia could potentially be interested in a quarterback such as Matt Barkley or E.J. Manuel, or in ensuring that they are not leapfrogged for a prospect such as Stanford junior tight end Zach Ertz or Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, both of whom have been in contact with the Eagles during the pre-draft process.

3.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Cincinnati Bengals for the #37 overall pick, the #118 overall pick, the #156 overall pick, and the #190 overall pick (634.4)

Making a trade with Cincinnati is slightly more difficult than trading with Jacksonville or Philadelphia, primarily because Cincinnati lacks a high fourth-round selection. If the Patriots are willing to take a slight loss on the trade value chart, they could potentially work out a trade resembling this with the Bengals, assuming Cincinnati is willing to part with a handful of mid-to-late-round picks. The most likely target for the Bengals at this point would be Florida strong safety Matt Elam, who would offer Cincinnati a complement for Reggie Nelson in the defensive backfield. If the Bengals are serious about landing Elam, they may feel required to trade ahead of the Baltimore Ravens, who may be considering Elam as Bernard Pollard’s successor; they interviewed the former Gator at the NFL Combine.

4.            New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Arizona Cardinals for the #38 overall pick, the #103 overall pick, and the #140 overall pick (644)

It may be somewhat wishful to expect Arizona to give up three picks in this year’s draft after trading for Carson Palmer, but the Cardinals should probably be looking for a long-term option at the quarterback position and may be interested in moving back into the first round for their favorite option, whether that’s Matt Barkley (who Arizona held a private workout with and also interviewed at the NFL Combine), or another quarterback prospect such as Mike Glennon or Ryan Nassib (both of whom were brought in for private workouts.) The Cardinals also held a private workout with Johnathan Cyprien, who, as mentioned before, appears likely to be selected at some point during the first-round.

5.            New England trades the #29 overall pick and the #91 overall pick (776) to the Tennessee Titans for the #40 overall pick, the #70 overall pick, and the #142 overall pick (775)

The other trades profiled in this article have involved just the #29 overall pick, but it may benefit New England more to include their third-round pick, #91 overall, in a trade similar to this one, which would allow New England to net an additional fifth-round pick while making a substantial move up the third-round draft board. Tennessee could be interested in getting ahead of teams such as Atlanta or Philadelphia for a tight end prospect such as Tyler Eifert; the Titans have also shown significant interest in this year’s crop of safeties, including Johnathan Cyprien, Matt Elam, and Eric Reid, all of whom held private workouts with Tennessee. If a prospect such as Louisiana St. middle linebacker Kevin Minter falls, that could interest the Titans as well.

excellent post. this is exactly what I was refering to, but you put it into actual numbers. I suggested a team trading back into rd#1 for the 29th pick for a QB, but obviously a team could trade up for a non QB as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

Like the idea of getting best value if we decide to trade ... my hope is that whatever choices we use ... we use them wisely. Only Seabass is left from the year we had four 2nd round choices ... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Yes, I hope they trade down for more picks, especially in this draft where the "value" and deeper talent is in rds. 2-6...that being said...I just hope it's not a replay of two years ago and I stayed up all night until just before the end of the evening and THEN find out they have traded out of the first rd....lol...it makes for a long night...

Then I suggest you just enjoy it for the spectacle that it is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If those QB needy teams trade it will be with St. Louis or SF.    We would charge too much.  If we trade, it will be with KC.   its a law we have to trade with Reid. I think that all teams see this as a deep draft and finding a trading partner may be difficult.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

If those QB needy teams trade it will be with St. Louis or SF.    We would charge too much.  If we trade, it will be with KC.   its a law we have to trade with Reid. I think that all teams see this as a deep draft and finding a trading partner may be difficult.   

What does SF need to trade down for, more picks? Don't they have 14 already?

Don't rule out trading down for a later pick plus a one next year. A BB favorite from years gone by.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The problem with trading is that you have to find someone who sees a specific player that they want that will not be available at a later spot. And the problem with this years draft is that it seems it contains a whole lot of pretty good players but not many stars. From around pick 15 through maybe pick 60 you are looking at guys at each position that while different, don't really jump off the  chart. So it may be hard to get 'value' for trading down from 29. And the usual hot commodity, QB, is pretty dreadful.

I see Smith getting drafted somewhere between #5 and #10. After that I think teams are going to start playing chicken on the rest of the QB class. Someone might lose their never and jump in for Barkley (hard to believe the #2-4 QB from last year has dropped so far based on staying an extra year in school!) or their particular favorite towards the end of the 1st, but I think it is more likely going to be the second/third round where the action ends up.

On OL you have 2 G and maybe 4 tackles that people really want. On DL maybe 4 DE and 4 DT, WR - 2, CB 1, Safety 1, LB 2, RB 0, TE 0, C 0.

I am not saying that guys after those listed aren't going to be good or great players, just that there doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement/consensus in terms of where you rank the next 5 guys at each position. Ak ten people who the #3 CB in this draft is and you will get eight or nine names. I am sure each team has its favorites, but ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Excellent post.  I can totally see a trade like that going down.  I wonder if BB and Andy Ried will trade this year?

Also, I think there will be 3 QBs taken in the first (Smith, Manuel, and Nassib).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Whoops - meant to add that a team like SF which has a pretty full roster already will likely be very active in trading up (or out) of the draft - with a boat load of picks, they really can't absorb that many rookies. So while they might not particularly need two picks in the first, they might trade three or four later picks to get another late first rounder.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

What does SF need to trade down for, more picks? Don't they have 14 already?

Don't rule out trading down for a later pick plus a one next year. A BB favorite from years gone by.

Like MIA said they can't use all those picks so trade some into next year.  I hope no one trades with them and they have to use all their picks.  Problem is their asking price may go down after day 1.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I predict that BB will do the unpredictable.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

i'll be a little ticked if either of their first three picks involve offense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

It will be interesting to see who BB trades with this year.  Who is moat likely linked to BB?

Browns GM Lombardi worked with BB in Cleveland a while back.

Chiefs HC Ried has made several trades with BB in the past.

Raiders have always traded with the Pats, will this continue without Al Davis.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I predict that BB will do the exact opposite of what we all think. He will keep all draft picks without trading up or down this year.

We don't have that many holes to fill.  We need a few more high impact players, especially at DL and WR,  we do not need to add more draft picks for the sake of getting more shots at more mediocre players.

If S. or J. Willimas or possibly Short are still on the board at 29, I bet that is the pick. If two or all three are still on the board, then we could trade down with reasonable asurances that one or more would be available very early in round 2.  I then pick the best WR available with the second round pick. and look to bolster OLB/DE, CB, OL, with best player at position available in the third and both 7s.

I agree. We need an A type player more than a C and two D's .. We need Chandler Jones not Jake Bequette. The Patriots are only an impact player away from being dominant. We've been building depth for 10 of the past 12 years, time to draft a guy who can play.

Sections
Shortcuts