PATS DRAFT GRADE : VOTE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

PATS DRAFT GRADE : VOTE

THE PATS WENT INTO THE FIRST 2 DAYS OF THIS DRAFT WITH TWO 1's , TWO 2's , TWO 3's ,& TWO 4's .

THEIR TOP 3 RECOGNIZED NEEDS :
    PASS RUSH / O-LINE / RB DEPTH

HERE IS THEIR HAUL > END OF 2ND DAY  :

1   NATE SOLDER     - OT
    2   RAS-I DOWLING - CB
    2b SHANE VAREEN  -  RB
    3a STEVEN RIDLEY -  RB
    3b RYAN MALLETE  -  QB

PLUS ~ 2012 Saints #1 , 2012 Raiders #2

RATE THEIR DRAFT SO FAR

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

Re: PATS DRAFT GRADE : VOTE

whenever you come away with the drafts best OT and QB plus an extra future #1 and #2 pick you've done a great job. well done BB, well done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

You know when you read it like that we didnt do so bad, got thr RB situation figured out, put a bit into the O line. We didnt get a pass rush, but with so many drafted, maybe we will have our pick in free agency?? I also believe that our pass rush suffered because of our DB's, DM was solid, but the other side was just average. The return of Bodden and the addition of Dowling will help some.

We were 14-2 last year, might just be that giving nink and cunningham some time in the system, and some more time to get to the qb (think quality cover cb's) will fix 60-70% of the problem. One quality addition from free agency and we will all feel better. I am just not sure if there are any pass rushers who will be FA's.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Grading by need and by value is good. But if you do it by need maybe you should weight needs. For example, not getting any pass rush help is a major need not fulfilled and so hurts the need grade. BUT with all those aging RBs this is also a truly critical need. So taking care of that need is a big deal.

I do not know how good Vareen will be nor Ridley. But on paper (which is what we have right now) the critical RB area loooks like this:
    - Feature back Vareen should be solid and force teams to take running game more seriously than last year as BJGE could not break big runs
    - Big, hard hitting between the tackles RB and short yardage RB missing last year filled this year
    - Solid all purpose RB who can handle the load when others are injured in BJGE
    - Excellent 3rd down back in Woody (and Faulk if he comes back)

That is pretty good. Very very good if Vareen is a hit and even more so if Ridley is a hit in his role(s).

I would say they filled three critical needs of maybe 5:
    1. OLT youth and pass blocking
    2. Feature RB, bruser RB and depth at RB
    3. Cover man big enough and talented enough to handle big, feature WRs

Didn't fill:
    1. pass rush issues (critical of course)
    2. youth and depth at inside OL (center and guard)

It is almost impossible to fill every need in any year. I would give an A if you filled 4 of 5. So here I give a B (rather than B-) in the needs grade. And if there is enough improvement in the current roster pass rush (development of Cunningham, Nink, Fletch, Chung, etc) then this becomes an A.

It feels worse because one of the key needs has been persistent for the past 3 years. Still, the talent, depth, versatility and youth of this team just got better.

And, by the way, they added a 1st and 2nd round pick next year. A 1st! A 2nd. No small things. Those could be used to fill the depth and youth and talent at inside OL next year! And something else too! Maybe pass rush???? Who knows.

In the talent grade it looks like a solid A to me when you consider not only what they got but that Mallett could be a much bigger deal if he is TBs heir or if he is traded for a lot of talent/high pick(s) AND of course consider they added a 1st round pick ! and a 2nd round pick!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If you are going to use TWO picks to try and solve RB problem - WHY NOT JUST TAKE INGRAM rather than trade to NO?  Just a stupid move by BB.

This draft gets a grade of D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: PATS DRAFT GRADE : VOTE:
    [QUOTE]If you are going to use TWO picks to try and solve RB problem - WHY NOT JUST TAKE INGRAM rather than trade to NO?  Just a stupid move by BB. This draft gets a grade of D.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

There are few non QBs in this league who actually merit a first and a second round pick for them in trade. Very few. And in a passing league as the NFL has become very very few RBs who would merit this. You can count them on one hand.

So if Ingram turns out to be truly the next Emmitt Smith then it was not a good trade. But if he is not quite that caliber (and it is certainly unsure whether he will be truly that exceptional) then it was a good trade. In any case it was certainly a safe trade in terms of building a world class team.

So while it feels bad it looks to me like it was in fact a very good trade. You can debate how well the RB picks were used separately. But then again, having mulitple RBs has proven, in an era where few RBs can carry the load and survive a full season, to be a wiser approach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

HUGE D!

We had 5 needs. 

DE, OLB, OT, OG. 

DE - This was an essential need. Wilfork can't work the line by himself, god forbid he gets injured. We would be fcuking screwed!  

OLB - We had such an awful pass-rush last season that we made every single QB look like a FHOF. We were ranked 30th in the league in terms of passing yards allowed and if I could find the stat for how many seconds QBs were allowed in the pocket I guarantee that we'll be at the bottom of the list. 

OT - Light is overpaid and not as great as he once was. Fine, Solder is fine. Good job. 

OG - Neal's retiring, can we get a replacement? No? Okay, I guess we still have Connolly. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

[QUOTE]If you are going to use TWO picks to try and solve RB problem - WHY NOT JUST TAKE INGRAM rather than trade to NO?  Just a stupid move by BB. This draft gets a grade of D.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]
    that would give us 2 running backs (ingram/woodhead), which means NE would still need another RB. 1st round costs more. you pick ingram in the 1st round expecting him to be a super star. super star RB's earn a ton of $$$. NE doesn't like to invest a lot of $$ in RB's. if you don't plan on paying him super star $$ after his 4 years are up, then why draft him in the 1st round? no value. a guy like vereen costs less, and isn't too far behind talent wise. if he flops, you don't lose too much, wasted late 2nd rounder. if he becomes a solid contributor, he sticks around as the guy. if he blows up and becomes a super star and you don't want to pay him, oh well 2nd round pick, NE received another 2nd round pick they can select another talented RB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

value: A
    need: D-
    those grades should be closer. why not "reach" for a pass rusher when you have only one on the roster rather than go for the DB with the injury history in a position that we already have stacked? and when the guard you want goes a few picks early, why not leave the oline for another year because we already have a veteran pro bowler there and draft a player for a position that is empty right now. i'm fine with the two running backs...but defense was still a bigger need. besides those guys would have been available in the 4th and 5th rounds anyway. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

regardless of need the Mallett pick is awesome.  look at his game tape.  he has a rocket for an arm, yet he is still super accurate.  he is slow as a slug, but very mobile in the pocket... remind you of anyone?  the kid is a winner.  i like how the media turned mallett from devil to angel once BB drafted him.  i am excited for next year, there better be a season, our young team will be near unstoppable.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I'm very happy with the draft so far....filled some much needed areas & got a potential steal in the 3rd with a developmental QB...should push both Brady & especially Hoyer to get even more focused...

I hope they get a couple more O-Line prospects.....maybe a dev.WR project

I'm guessing they will address DE/OLB in free agency, especially if there's no Salry cap(maybe trade Mankins for Tamba Hali at KC when FA  arrives, or for that stud DE from Carolina...)...maybe a Veteran WR too

I look forward to day 3....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Without a doubt, and Patriot fans should be at least aware and agreeable to-- that the immediate Kraft family will have already have had much discussion regard their coachs' draft day decisions, and critical of same. As we are as well. How this all evolves, etc., during the season game results, will effect both the teams', and BB's future with it. At this point, wins and losses, as always, determine a coach's destiny. We will see.
    For the record, immediately after the Steeler, playoff game loss, I posted
    my opinion that I felt BB was most responsible for it, due to,  his not starting Welker in the game( due to his critical remarks he had made about Jets' coach Rex Ryan), that the sudden announcememt of it, just prior to the kickoff had such a negative, distracting effect on the Patriots players, and that, causing the resulting turnovers, contributing to the loss of the game. And that, in my opinion, BB was beginning to show his age, and that his future as team coach should be evaluated. And now again, with today's draft day fiasco, he should most definitely be questioned about it- at least- if not fired.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I give it a D. We can sugar coat it all we want, bottom line is for the last three years we havent won a playoff game because we cant get after the opposing QB and we did NOTHING to address that. Of your five picks Solder and Dowling will be solid. Vereen will see the field "occasionally" Ridley will see the field "rarely" and Mallet wont see the field at all. Sorry not trying to be negative, but at lest last year we had a good feeling after day 2. The extra 1st? Yeah thats New Orleans so that will be between 28-32. The Raiders Second was a nice pick up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

OK, I'll jump right in. 

A value, B+ need.  Best OT in draft; excellent CB; like the RBs; a no risk/high reward pick for QB.  Plus a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder next year. Yep I'll say it:  BB knows what he's doing.  If he didn't draft a pass rusher, there's a reason for it. 

And just for the record:  How many who have already posted in this thread thought the McC 1st round pick last year was a bad move?  I'll say it:  I questioned it but, shockingly, BB knew what he was doing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

[QUOTE]whenever you come away with the drafts best OT and QB plus an extra future #1 and #2 pick you've done a great job. well done BB, well done.
    Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

this, not to mention our Offense will now have a dynamic running game.
    Vereen and BJGE splitting carries, woodhead on third down and Ridley in short yardage/goaline. So many options on offense, I love it.

We drafted two completly different skill sets at TE last year, we did the same this year with RB. I love it.

and oh yeah, two 1st and two 2nd round picks next year and we got one of the best pro prospect QB's to develop, with a third round pick.
    B+

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

The Patriots could have had a pass rusher, OT, and a great runner. They chose a good OT, an often injured CB and passed on the 2nd best runningback in the draft. They had six valuable picks and got 2 good players. They should take the 2 #1 and 2 #2 draft picks and convert them into six first round draft picks in 2015. Think of the future BB. In the end our team is no better than last year. Our defense will continue to be poor on third downs and we will make all quarterbacks look like Joe Montana! D draft! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

After last years draft it's difficult to fault the Pats before free agency and some actual games are played.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Jeff, what u and many here fail to see is BBs board.  We all read draft mags, on line stuff etc.  We all saw LeShoure as the #2 back.  BB's board is obviously different.  The pats have their own scouts.  Just because u read what we all read doesnt mean that we didnt get the #2 back, heck maybe the #1 back. 
    Now, do I hate that we didnt improve the pass rush so far, yes.  Can I explain why? nope.  Maybe BB sees something we dont. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd give it a C...after calming down a bit. Let's say they hit on the tackle and corner...that would be huge. I'm not saying they will, because we have missed on so many corners over the last 5 years, that I'm not confident in the least. As for the tackle, it seams like a safe position (not as many busts when taken that high). The backs were reaches, and they could of gotten at least one of them later on. No help in the front seven, what so ever!!

The problem I have with this draft is we talk about how set up for the future they are with these things and they come away with this? Makes me not look forward to the next one, because we will just deem the players available not worthy of our selection and trade into the next year again.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I give them a C-.  I hope I'm wrong.  They simply must stop trying to defer selections to future years.  They must capitalize during Brady's remaining years.  When Brady leaves (probably after another 4 years or so) we will likely be severely deficient at the most important position on the field.  Mallett?  I hope they trade him for value, because the odds of him still being a Pat after 4 more years, sitting quietly on the bench is ZERO.

I would be OK with us picking up veterans for DE and OLB, except we have a very poor track record in those areas.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

The Patriots won championships because of DEFENSE!

Since the decline of their defense due to vetrans getting older/retiring or Pats gettin rid of them! (Seymour, Asante, Vrabel...)  The Patriots team has NOT been the same since. 

I really hope they have plans in bringing in Defensive players via Free Agency (if there is FA!)  Esp the front 7.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

There's still one day of drafting to go, how about incomplete until it's over?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

I just watch the Pats' play and hope they win. It is up to the Pats' organization to field a competitive team so we can all watch them play winning football. Nothing makes me feel better than a Patriots victory and a division championship makes my feet start to dance. I haven't personally observed any draft eligible college football player so I am not as informed as the scouts and front office personnel. I don't blindly believe BB is a genius but I know he has more experience and knowledge about football than I do but I do know having draft choices is useless if you do not use them to draft players. So, bring on the season and we will see whether or not the Patriots need a brain change.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I was frustrated andf angry during the draft. As I thought about it... and talked about it, I got perspective on what they had done rather than what they hadnt and the importance of what they had done. After sleeping on it I beleive it was in fact a very good draft. Very good. I am still very uncomfortable with the pass rush. But...

1. With three RBs retiring or about to retire
    2. A feature RB who has a yardage expiration of 7-9 yards and so Ds need not fear being burned by the run and could t-off on TB
    3. An aging OLT who is having trouble now with the best speed rushers (this is CRITICAL issue. Even more than our pass rush because it both dimishes our BIG advantasge of having TB and endangers his health)
    4. A budding set of DB but no one really built and with the skills to cover the elite BIG WRs more frequently being used in the league
    5. Only 2 sure CBs and 2 more (Arrington and Butler) who may continue to develop but you need to be able to put 3 definite quality CBs on the field at any one time

All the above are actually very significant issues. They filled ALL of the above. AND... they added a 1st round pick next year. That is a big deal. It is why the shelf life of BB treams is not the league norm of 3-5 years. And then they added a second round pick! A 1st AND a 2nd.... You gotta love that... If you rally think on it.. you gotta love that.... You WILL next draft if you do not now!

OH, and just to add a BIG potential for a BIG home run they got Mallett. Now he may not end up being great. But he might. He has maybe the strongest arm in the draft. And he will have the chance to learn under BB and TB. You saw what they could do with tutoring Cassel. Imagine what they can do with a top flight arm. No sure thing. But he could be a 3rd round pick worth a couple of first or even more. He could be an All Pro QB here when Brady retires. So you cant write this pick off.

So what they did was huge. Not just good. HUGE.

What they didnt do was address the pass rush.. The one thing most everyone expected and hoped for. But grading this should not be whether BB lived up to any specific expectsation. Hey, I was hoping we could get Cameron Jordan and he actually fell to us!!! I was hoping we could get Reed and we could have taken him at the top of round 2. I was hoping we would get an OL - or Ingram or Leshore and we could have at 28. And still taken an OL with our last pick in round 2. All that turned out to be possible and would have been beyond anything I imagined we might actually do. BUT.... BUT the grade is not about how close he came to what I would have done but how well he did going his own way. His own way. How did he help the team? How much, in what ways, are those critical? Yes to all. And an A if you include everything they came away with (including the QB and the two picks next year).

An A.  In retrospect, and until the players prove to be booms or busts, I really cant see how you can grade BB lower. Only if you grade him on how close he was to who you personally would have taken. But not on how well he did going his own way.