PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED?

We know it's coming .

The Pats are on the clock.

The minutes are ticking away and finally GODell steps up to the mic.

" We have a trade .The New England Patriots trade the ____ pick in the 2012 draft to the  _____ . "

I've been looking at the other 31 teams  to see if there's a possible match
    (Actually 30 teams cuz the Jets & Pats are NOT gettin a deal done this century)

Accurately predicting who the enigmatic Pats will deal with is next to impossible but I think I've identified a few potential trade partners.

Here's the Pats draft picks :

New England Patriots: 1-27 , 1-31, 2-16 , 2-31, 3-31, 4-31

St. Louis might be a good fit.
     They have a new regime in town and sometimes newbies get impatient
     ( see Josh McD in Denver )

Here's the Rams picks :
     St. Louis Rams: 1-6 from Washington, 2-1, 2-7 from Washington, 3-2, 4-1, 6-1, 7-2, 7-45 (compensatory)

I bet BB covets the Rams pick # 33 ( 1st selection of day two ) and considering the Rams also own pick # 39 , I could see new GM Les Snead being ok with parting with it should a coveted player still be on the board near the end of round 1 ....maybe a wr for Bradford ?
      Even if the Patriots just traded their # 31 for the Rams # 33 and in return only got a swap of 4ths - the Pats would be moving up almost a full round for moving back two spots. More importantly , as we all know NFL teams use the break in the action between rounds to reset their boards - making that #33 pick all the more valuable *

Another potential partner could be the Falcons .

Atlanta Falcons: 2-23, 3-22, 5-22, 6-23, 7-22, 7-42 (compensatory)

They dont have a 1st ( 2011 Julio Jones trade ) and might just get antsy waiting 55 picks to finally make their first selection
    ( BB and GM Demetroff are tight too )

We all know BB loves to get his hands on future 1st rounders .

Pats #31 for Falcons #55 and a 2013 First ?

( This would mirror the 2011 Saints Trade )

Another team that might want to get in on the Pats trade action while being forced to wait their turn is the Cardinals .
     They don't have a 2nd rounder ( Kolb trade ) and with the Pats holding two 2nds ( picks 16 and 31 of the round ) Arizona might come knocking .

Arizona Cardinals: 1-13, 3-18, 4-17, 5-16, 6-7, 6-15, 7-14

Conversely -
    This might be a year when BB goes the other way and moves up in the draft.
    Enter the Cleveland Browns.
    The Browns cupboards may be bare roster-wise but they're stacked when it comes to 2012 draft picks. Mike Holmgren is a veteren GM who likely wouldn't be afraid to trade back.
    Word is they want out of the #4 pick .
      Personally I dont see BB expending the kind of draft capitol it would take to reach that high , however I could envision him jumping up a few notches from the Pats #27 to the Browns second 1st rounder pick #21 - should the right prospect fall .

Cleveland Browns: 1-4, 1-22 from Atlanta, 2-5, 3-4, 4-5, 4-23 from Atlanta, 5-4, 5-25 from Denver, 6-5, 6-35 (compensatory), 6-36 (compensatory), 7-4, 7-38 (compensatory), 7-40 (compensatory)

It should be noted that
    in 2011 BB threw us a curve ball by not trading the # 33 pick , instead selecting the injury prone Ras-I Dowling .
     It was reported at the time that the Cards were interested in selecting Andy Dalton with the pick but wouldn't meet BB's asking price of a 2nd and a 2012 second.
      Ironically a few months after the draft the Cards traded that 2012 2nd rounder and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb -who they then shelled out 63 mil for 5 years ...bet they're kicking themselves now for not bowing to BB's wishes .
    Andy Dalton ( 4 years - 5.2 million )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED?

In Response to PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED?:
     We know it's coming . The Pats are on the clock. The minutes are ticking away and finally GODell steps up to the mic. " We have a trade .The New England Patriots trade the ____ pick in the 2012 draft to the  _____ . "  I've been looking at the other 31 teams  to see if there's a possible match (Actually 30 teams cuz the Jets & Pats are NOT gettin a deal done this century)  Accurately predicting who the enigmatic Pats will deal with is next to impossible but I think I've identified a few potential trade partners. Here's the Pats draft picks : New England Patriots : 1-27 , 1-31, 2-16 , 2-31, 3-31, 4-31 St. Louis might be a good fit.  They have a new regime in town and sometimes newbies get impatient  ( see Josh McD in Denver ) Here's the Rams picks :   St. Louis Rams : 1-6 from Washington, 2-1, 2-7 from Washington, 3-2, 4-1, 6-1, 7-2, 7-45 (compensatory)   I bet BB covets the Rams pick # 33 ( 1st selection of day two ) and considering the Rams also own pick # 39 , I could see new GM Les Snead being ok with parting with it should a coveted player still be on the board near the end of round 1 ....maybe a wr for Bradford ?   Even if the Patriots just traded their # 31 for the Rams # 33 and in return only got a swap of 4ths - the Pats would be moving up almost a full round for moving back two spots. More importantly , as we all know NFL teams use the break in the action between rounds to reset their boards - making that #33 pick all the more valuable * Another potential partner could be the Falcons . Atlanta Falcons : 2-23, 3-22, 5-22, 6-23, 7-22, 7-42 (compensatory) They dont have a 1st ( 2011 Julio Jones trade ) and might just get antsy waiting 55 picks to finally make their first selection ( BB and GM Demetroff are tight too ) We all know BB loves to get his hands on future 1st rounders . Pats #31 for Falcons #55 and a 2013 First ? ( This would mirror the 2011 Saints Trade )   Another team that might want to get in on the Pats trade action while being forced to wait their turn is the Cardinals .  They don't have a 2nd rounder ( Kolb trade ) and with the Pats holding two 2nds ( picks 16 and 31 of the round ) Arizona might come knocking .   Arizona Cardinals : 1-13, 3-18, 4-17, 5-16, 6-7, 6-15, 7-14  Conversely - This might be a year when BB goes the other way and moves up in the draft. Enter the Cleveland Browns. The Browns cupboards may be bare roster-wise but they're stacked when it comes to 2012 draft picks. Mike Holgram is a veteren GM who likely wouldn't be afraid to trade back. Word is they want out of the #4 pick .   Personally I dont see BB expending the kind of draft capitol it would take to reach that high , however I could envision him jumping up a few notches from the Pats #27 to the Browns second 1st rounder pick #21 - should the right prospect fall . Cleveland Browns : 1-4, 1-22 from Atlanta, 2-5, 3-4, 4-5, 4-23 from Atlanta, 5-4, 5-25 from Denver, 6-5, 6-35 (compensatory), 6-36 (compensatory), 7-4, 7-38 (compensatory), 7-40 (compensatory) * It should be noted that in 2011 BB threw us a curve ball by not trading the # 33 pick , instead selecting the injury prone Ras-I Dowling .  It was reported at the time that the Cards were interested in selecting Andy Dalton with the pick but wouldn't meet BB's asking price of a 2nd and a 2012 second.   Ironically a few months after the draft the Cards traded that 2012 2nd rounder and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb -who they then shelled out 63 mil for 5 years ...bet they're kicking themselves now for not bowing to BB's wishes . Andy Dalton ( 4 years - 5.2 million )
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro

We all agree that a trade is coming the pick with the most value is 27,and it wouldn't not shock me to see BB trade both first round picks provided he acquires second round picks this year and first round picks next year! the only way he trades with AZ is if they trade their 3rd and 5th this year as well as their 1rst next year. As for the other pairings you've come up with ATL is a distinct possibility as they might be willing to part with their 2nd and maybe a 5th this year and maybe a 2nd next year of course we are talking for number 27.You are correct though I smell the mad scientist conjuring up trade partners as we blog about it. I don't know about trading with STL as he isn't on the Jeff Fisher Christmas card list...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

If anything the Pats end up with a 1st rounder in any trade or it would have to be a couple of high 2nd rounders.  This narrows trading partners.  Personally, I think the Pats use both 1st rounders because of the choices that are there for defense.  DE, DT and OLB are presently there.  Even WR and OL if they choose to go that route.  Too much there which also means that teams will come calling but will they offer enough?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BB's unpredictability is a certainty.  Totally agree with BB wanting that 1st pick in 2nd round or as close to it as possible.  Probably #27 will go and it will be quite inrteresting to see how he works that out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED?:
    BB's unpredictability is a certainty.  Totally agree with BB wanting that 1st pick in 2nd round or as close to it as possible.  Probably #27 will go and it will be quite inrteresting to see how he works that out.
    Posted by ATJ
    If he can get a sucker to bite on a trade and in this case Snead the STL GM, he might be able to truly fleece him out of extra picks. How about 27 for number 33 this year and thier 4rth round pick this year and their 1rst next year? I know I could live with that trade.I love watching the BB magical trade machine on draft day,it is without a doubt far more entertaining than the boring show that the other GM's put out...As Billy Crystal once said Simply Marvelous would describe the BB draft day shenangins!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

this is too complicated - I just hope we have a good draft

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

BB  is friendly with Schwartz, Detroit's coach. If moving in front of Pittsburgh is desired it'd be a move up of 4 spots.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Just a thought...we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 million in cap space, any chance we go after a tendered free agent and lose one of our firsts?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no unless it is amendola and he's not a 1st round tender

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In Response to PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED?:
     We know it's coming . The Pats are on the clock. The minutes are ticking away and finally GODell steps up to the mic. " We have a trade .The New England Patriots trade the ____ pick in the 2012 draft to the  _____ . "  I've been looking at the other 31 teams  to see if there's a possible match (Actually 30 teams cuz the Jets & Pats are NOT gettin a deal done this century)  Accurately predicting who the enigmatic Pats will deal with is next to impossible but I think I've identified a few potential trade partners. Here's the Pats draft picks : New England Patriots : 1-27 , 1-31, 2-16 , 2-31, 3-31, 4-31 St. Louis might be a good fit.  They have a new regime in town and sometimes newbies get impatient  ( see Josh McD in Denver ) Here's the Rams picks :   St. Louis Rams : 1-6 from Washington, 2-1, 2-7 from Washington, 3-2, 4-1, 6-1, 7-2, 7-45 (compensatory)   I bet BB covets the Rams pick # 33 ( 1st selection of day two ) and considering the Rams also own pick # 39 , I could see new GM Les Snead being ok with parting with it should a coveted player still be on the board near the end of round 1 ....maybe a wr for Bradford ?   Even if the Patriots just traded their # 31 for the Rams # 33 and in return only got a swap of 4ths - the Pats would be moving up almost a full round for moving back two spots. More importantly , as we all know NFL teams use the break in the action between rounds to reset their boards - making that #33 pick all the more valuable * Another potential partner could be the Falcons . Atlanta Falcons : 2-23, 3-22, 5-22, 6-23, 7-22, 7-42 (compensatory) They dont have a 1st ( 2011 Julio Jones trade ) and might just get antsy waiting 55 picks to finally make their first selection ( BB and GM Demetroff are tight too ) We all know BB loves to get his hands on future 1st rounders . Pats #31 for Falcons #55 and a 2013 First ? ( This would mirror the 2011 Saints Trade )   Another team that might want to get in on the Pats trade action while being forced to wait their turn is the Cardinals .  They don't have a 2nd rounder ( Kolb trade ) and with the Pats holding two 2nds ( picks 16 and 31 of the round ) Arizona might come knocking .   Arizona Cardinals : 1-13, 3-18, 4-17, 5-16, 6-7, 6-15, 7-14  Conversely - This might be a year when BB goes the other way and moves up in the draft. Enter the Cleveland Browns. The Browns cupboards may be bare roster-wise but they're stacked when it comes to 2012 draft picks. Mike Holgram is a veteren GM who likely wouldn't be afraid to trade back. Word is they want out of the #4 pick .   Personally I dont see BB expending the kind of draft capitol it would take to reach that high , however I could envision him jumping up a few notches from the Pats #27 to the Browns second 1st rounder pick #21 - should the right prospect fall . Cleveland Browns : 1-4, 1-22 from Atlanta, 2-5, 3-4, 4-5, 4-23 from Atlanta, 5-4, 5-25 from Denver, 6-5, 6-35 (compensatory), 6-36 (compensatory), 7-4, 7-38 (compensatory), 7-40 (compensatory) * It should be noted that in 2011 BB threw us a curve ball by not trading the # 33 pick , instead selecting the injury prone Ras-I Dowling .  It was reported at the time that the Cards were interested in selecting Andy Dalton with the pick but wouldn't meet BB's asking price of a 2nd and a 2012 second.   Ironically a few months after the draft the Cards traded that 2012 2nd rounder and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb -who they then shelled out 63 mil for 5 years ...bet they're kicking themselves now for not bowing to BB's wishes . Andy Dalton ( 4 years - 5.2 million )
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro

Captn', this is all great stuff, BUT, I think we will see a shift in philosophy from BB in this draft as we have in the past as the NEW CBA makes these higher picks much more reasonable and feasible financially without mortgaging the team's future and flexibility. I don't think we will se as much bartering from BB this draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I would mention the Saints as well. They have no 1st or 2nd round pick this year. Say we ship them the first 2nd for their first next year. or the second 1st for next year's 1st and a 3rd. With their coaching staff in disarray, they could well be picking in the top half of the draft next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

There's enough of a difference between #27 and #31 that a team willing to pass up a trade at #27 for some golden boy might just pull the trigger for that same player (at a slightly lower negotiated price) at #31.  Good players like Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow can make or break a team, although in the aforementioned cases the trades and picks pretty much broke the Denver team.  New England dropped down two slots with a Denver trade and got Hernandez with the fourth round pick.  Ka-ching!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED?:
    In Response to PATS DRAFT PARTNER REVEALED? : Captn', this is all great stuff, BUT, I think we will see a shift in philosophy from BB in this draft as we have in the past as the NEW CBA makes these higher picks much more reasonable and feasible financially without mortgaging the team's future and flexibility. I don't think we will se as much bartering from BB this draft.
    Posted by RallyC

i see it the other way. i believe bb would like in the future to be in the position that STL was this year - being able to trade away a high first for a gazillion picks. he's not going to try to accomplish that by losing. the only way he does that is to be able to land a trade for the future first rounder of a team who ends up losing most of its games.

to me the best scenario would be for the pats to trade out of #27 down to a few spots above 48. who knows what the value charts look like now? i am guessing they give up #27 and one of their third rounders for a first next year plus that second round spot above 48.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

they only have 93 in the third so they could give that up in addition to #27 for a future first and a spot around midway between 31 and 48.

with decent prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, i can also imagine them trading out of 31 if they can get another future first for that if they can get back a third with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

ok, cap... more on this speculation game.

i think it will be jax. it's possible that jax is interested in finding a backup QB, given what gabbert showed last season. assuming luck and rg3 go 1 and 2, there will be tannenhill, osweiler, weeden. 

that said they may not afford to wait 'til 38 to pick that backup QB. we know mia will be looking for a QB. cleveland, who picks twice between jax's first and second picks, could be looking for a backup QB as well. if cle, does not pick a QB at 22, they could at 37.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Trading one of the picks into next year would probably make sense. There is likely little difference ine the pedigree of the 27th, 31st, and 48th pick. When picking in the top 15 the Pats landed Mayo and Seymour. I know many fans are impatient but getting top tier talent without losing games requires patience. They could probably trade both firsts and next years first and maybe more to move up this year but theres such a poor history of teams who've sacrificed so much for a pick there's no reason to follow that blueprint other than stupidity.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

can we trade our #27 with the colts for a future 1st and a third this year? or a late 2nd? My thinking here is that the colts might want to draft luck's safety blanket in fleener his TE in college, is it possible?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Interesting trade inquiries in these posts guys - gj .

SeattlePat - In regards to the Jax + Pats hooking up

JAX  - 1.7, 2.6, 3.7, 4.6, 5.7, 6.6, 7.7

The Jags have talked about their openess to trading back in the 1st but Gene Smith's track record says otherwise ( Specifically when he waved off trade offers in 2010 and selected Tyson Aluhua much higher than anybody saw coming ) His MO says he stays put or he trades up ( see Gabbert from last year )
     BB would likely love to pluck that Jax pidgeon again ( see 2010 trade of a 3rd for a future 2nd that became 2011's pick #33 ) ...
    Maybe our #31 & 4th for Jax 's 2nd  , 6th and 2013 #1 ?

Obviously in addition to wanting to restock for future drafts - BB's lookin' to make that one big score , i.e. trading for a teams future #1 and hit the jackpot. It's always nice to find a partner that has the potential to implode and return us a top 10 , or top 5 pick .
      Last year he knew that the Saints were not that team - but he had pick #33 in his pocket and hoped he'd still be able to swing a lucrative deal later ( didnt happen )
    In the end , he thought the Saints deal offered good value  -BB's new favorite catch phrase.
     To be honest - in hindsight they were VERY BAD DEALs for the Pats  , at least in regards to our 2011's SB quest .
     We got zippo contributions from Vareen and Ras-I   , it sux to think what might have happened if we had gotten even the least bit of 2011 production out of those spots....but I digress .

Colts and Fleener ?
    Absolutely a good fit ...duh
    I'm a self affirmed dummy when it comes to College talent
     ( dont follow the college game  so I get all my info after-the-fact from mags / sights / TV talkin heads etc. )
    Even I can see Fleener + Luck = proven weapon .

I think both the Ravens and 49ers ( who pick just after us ) covet him too and this could set up nicely for the Pats gettin' a bidding war going.

Here's the Colts picks :
    INDY - 1.1, 2.2, 3.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.35 (Compensatory), 6.37 (Compensatory), 7.1, 7.17 (from NYJ), 7.46 (Compensatory)

Lions  /  Schwartz might be an option in the Pats trading due to their repsective positions on the board -but I'm not sure it's in the Lions MO .
      Teams like the Lions that believe they're on the brink of greatness , usually just don't have the patience to tap the breaks and gather picks .
     IMO they're typically buyers that move UP in order to get that missing link .
     GM Martin Mayhew's track record shows he's more likely to trade up -than down
    ( see 2010 Javis Best trade , where they traded with the Vikings to move back into the 1st round )
      The Pats might be more likely to trade down with Detroit .
    ( with the knowledge that like the Saints last year , any future 1st coming back will likely be near the end of the round )

DET  - 1.23, 2.22, 3.22, 4.22, 5.23, 6.22, 7.23

Nobody knows who the Pats wil be picking come draft weekend ...
    but we do know they'll be making trades .

The Pats may be the one team in the NFL that its easier to correctly predict a trade partner than  a player they're targeting

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I mentioned this elsewhere but there was talk on both NFL network and one of the Sat radio Sports channels I was listening too that the Patriots and Chiefs could be looking at a possible swap of #31 and #44 as well as New England getting KC's 2nd round 2013 pick. 
    Three big reasons for this...
    #1, KC wants an OT Adams maybe??? (likely taken with their own 1st @12) and a NT like Poe or DT like Brockers.
    #2, Pick #31 of Pats isn't to far to reach up. It is cost effective.
    #3, Romeo and Pioli have a relationship with Belichick and they both need to make sure this new coaching/GM marriage works.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Pats moving back from # 31 to #44 ( 13 spots ) and gettin an extra 2013 2nd rounder from KC would be the equivalent of getting an extra 3rd in this draft
     ( A general rule is that when a pick is moved into the next year - it's value is bumped up a round - tho if the team is projected to post a particularly poor record  the value is increased )
     KC is likely a bubble playoff team next season : 9 -7 ?
    ( Manning now on the Broncs negating KC's return to good health )

Obviously - the two teams gettin' together is contingent on KC's player being there , and equally BB not coveting an available talent
    ( like he did with Ras-I last year at # 33 )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Agreed Captn... Some things have to happen to make this a plausable move but in truth that is the case with all the possible trade partners.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Why wouldn't these "draft partners" trade with Cincy? Barron should still be there when they pick. They have 2 first rounders as well. I don't think anyone wants to help us out. Take the Ras-I pick. There was so much speculation how much we could get for that pick. Had a whole night to deal it too. It was worth jack when it came down to it. We had to use the pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Actually there reportedly were offers on the table for #33 last year  and in the end BB must have decided they weren't "good value ".
    The Cards in particular were offering a 3rd for the Pats to swap back to pick # 38 ( Dalton was their target - trying to leap frog Cincy )
      In hindsight -I believe BB may have actually misstepped on passing and taking Ras - I Dowling .
       I think it was a mistake not just because Ras-I had a history of being fragile and ultimately contributed squat to a 2011 season that may have ultimately been triumphant with any type of contribution from the #33 slot ( Jabard Sheard ? ) but also because BB could have taken the Cards deal and still got his man .

We will never know .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

and the trade outs is why we lose superbowls. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Ah   I don't want to hear about it.....  We need those damn picks.  Hire a real GM

Sections
Shortcuts