Pats draft pick Marcus Cannon finishes Chemo treatments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Pats draft pick Marcus Cannon finishes Chemo treatments

From the Star-Telegram.com website:

Marcus Cannon never was scared of the boogeyman growing up. Or much else for that matter.

He admits he doesn't like spiders, but Cannon easily can squish them under his size-15 shoes.

The former TCU offensive lineman had never faced fear until April 20, when doctors told him he had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system.

He drove, and he cried. He cried, and he drove.

And then he prayed.

"The first thing my mom and my dad told me to do is pray," Cannon said last week, "and here we are today. I'm a fifth-round Patriots draft pick, and half the mass I had is gone. For everybody who doesn't believe, here's your reason to believe. It's a miracle in itself that somebody with a life-threatening disease gets drafted."

Cannon's chemo treatments will be finished this week; his smile is back; he is working out and hopes to be at the New England Patriots' training camp for the first day of practice in August, assuming the NFL lockout ends.

"I have a will," Cannon, 23, said.

Good at everything

Cannon always has been successful at whatever he has attempted. He can dance despite being 6-foot-5, 350 pounds. He can play the piano, though he has never had formal lessons. There is a YouTube video of Cannon, a former lifeguard, doing a double front flip off a party barge. He is a skilled fisherman. He earned All-Mountain West honors in track in 2009 after finishing second in the shot put at the conference meet. He has a communication studies degree from TCU.

"He's very good at everything," said 49ers rookie safety Colin Jones, his former TCU teammate and roommate. "He's really lucky, too."

Indeed, Cannon calls his cancer diagnosis "a blessing."

He was 15 when he discovered a lump on his lower abdomen. Doctors told Cannon it was an infection and would go away. But the lump eventually grew, and when he was a redshirt sophomore at TCU, doctors performed a needle biopsy.

"They always told me it was OK," Cannon said.

But, after the NFL Scouting Combine in February, rumors spread that Cannon had testicular cancer. That prompted the Indianapolis Colts, who were in the market for an offensive lineman with the 22nd overall pick, to request a full biopsy.

The result, which Cannon received eight days before the NFL Draft, was unexpected.

"It was pretty shocking," said Cannon's father, Ebbie Cannon. "We had never had cancer in our family. We thought maybe it was a mistake or something."

Sports résumé

Cannon is one of the strongest players ever to play at TCU. He holds almost every one of the school's weight-room records, including the power clean (500 pounds), the squat (870), the bench press (575) and the incline press (565).

The cancer diagnosis, though, initially brought Cannon to his knees. With tears in his eyes and death in his thoughts, he drove his Toyota truck five hours to his parents' house in Odessa.

The family found comfort in prayer.

"We are a religious family, and we know prayer changes things," Ebbie said. "That was pretty much all I knew to do given the situation we were facing."

Cannon had his first chemo treatment on the first day of the draft. He might have been a late first-round pick, but the cancer diagnosis scared the 32 NFL teams as much as it scared Cannon.

Despite NFL teams being told by doctors in a memo that his chances of recovery are 90 percent, Cannon's stock dropped.

"I just feel badly that it all happened to him," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "I think we're going to beat it, because we caught it early enough, and because of the attitude that he's approached it with, but he could have gone higher in the draft and made more money."

'A good value'

The Patriots drafted Cannon 138th overall, with New England coach Bill Belichick calling Cannon "a good value."

"How will it work out?" Belichick said the day of the draft. "There are certainly a lot of moving parts and so forth.... We'll all have to find out how it turns out."

Cannon said he has no doubts he will play in the NFL for many years, though it remains to be seen whether he will spend this season on injured reserve.

Cannon has had nausea only once. The day after his first treatment, he didn't feel well and cut short his fishing trip with Jones. He hasn't lost his hair, and he has maintained his weight despite losing his appetite. (He said he dropped to 338 after his first chemo treatment before figuring out he had to eat despite not being hungry. He now weighs 348.)

Cannon lifts three days a week at a local gym and runs at TCU with former teammates. He regularly tests his strength by benching 315 pounds.

"If I can do it eight or nine times, I'm good," Cannon said.

The same day he had his third chemo treatment, Cannon swam and played basketball. He said he couldn't be better.

"All I can do is keep doing what I'm doing," Cannon said. "That's to keep praying and accept my healing."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/03/3196927/former-tcu-standout-refusing-to.html#ixzz1R3XNSoX2

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Re: Pats draft pick Marcus Cannon finishes Chemo treatments

Excellent for this young man.....
    MARCUS.. it appears that you may have been given a second lease on life.... Please make the very most of it... in all facets of your life..... Be a star, and be a good man to your fellow human beings..... Apparently the world has some real high hopes for you.. /> GO GET 'EM!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

i asked a doctor about this and he said it was very unlikely that he plays this year, regardless of how well his treatment goes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I think he will play and be a beast come playoff time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

best of luck to him in his recovery. i hope he can play! him opposite of mankins would be amazing. with solder and vollmer! wow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

This kid could become one of my favorite Pats for all the obvious reasons, including the fact he could help give us a formidable running game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

This guy dominated JJ Watt of Wisconsin in the bowl game TCU won.  If recovered, he will be a major player for BB and Pats for years to come, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I really liked this kid going into the draft and thought he was a late 1st early 2nd type of prospect. I see big things in his future and don't want him to rush back. I'd rather give him the year to fully recover and get back to playing shape then try to rush him back. I know he wants to play but I think he's a future starter for us so just sit back big guy, rehab, and get ready for the 12' season

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i really don't think we would be rushing him! he said that he wants to play, and has had really no effects besdies losing his hair and nausea once during his treatment. he said he has continued to work out which is amazing! i think he is going to be a stud! and i think  he will be playing for us this season! i wouldn't mind placing him on the PUP though to be sure he is fully recovered. I am very excited about the offensive line this year, especially if we resign mankins!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

The chemo has to take it's toll....the guy seems to have a ton of heart & a great posative attitude but in reality I wouldn't expect much from him this year as the body needs time to recover from this type of radical treatment...I'm pulling for the guy something fierce & wish him all the best in the world but have tempered expectations for him this year & would not be shocked to see him not even see the field until next year....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Pats draft pick Marcus Cannon finishes Chemo treatments:
    [QUOTE]i really don't think we would be rushing him! he said that he wants to play, and has had really no effects besdies losing his hair and nausea once during his treatment. he said he has continued to work out which is amazing! i think he is going to be a stud! and i think  he will be playing for us this season! i wouldn't mind placing him on the PUP though to be sure he is fully recovered. I am very excited about the offensive line this year, especially if we resign mankins!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

I'm excited to see what our OLine will become in the future but I think next year might be a bit to hopeful. If anything I think we might take a slight step backwards next year. Vollmer will improve and if Mankins is here for a full season it can only get better but right now I'd rather have Light last year then Solder this year. Now don't get me wrong Solder is the long time starter and I would much rather have him over the next 5 years then Light but given Lights experience and knowledge of rushers tendencies with being paired in this OLine for so long gives him a edge over Solder this year simply because Solder is a rook. I wonder how much longer Koppen can last and he'll surely lose a step or two being a year older. Until Cannon comes in Neal retiring was a huge blow. Connolly might step up day 1 but he hasn't started a full season yet, so RG might be an issue over the length of the season.

But looking into the future Solder, Cannon, and Vollmer are going to anchor a solid line. Now they just need a future C replacement. There are some really good ones I wanted to draft available as UDFA's I hope the Pats take a look at.

Namely:

Alex Linnenkohl, Zane Taylor, and Jake Kirkpatrick

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I really like this kid...They said he should be ready for camp...that's huge...he'll start from day one....http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath2.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

When BB picked this kid in the 5th I was really pleased that he did.  The more I learn about this young man the more impressed I am with him.  Regardless of what happens to his football future I hope nothing but the best for him; he clearly deserves it.  If, along the way, he becomes a mainstay on the Pats O-line and gives us another bruiser of an OG, then so much the better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

chemo effects everyone differently and being that they caught his cancer very early they could use minimally invasive techniques and a milder form of chemo.  so who knows when he will be ready to go, but it sounds like he is in a great place with his recovery and there are still quite a few weeks till the start of the season/training camp. so who knows if he will be ready....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Pup list for:
    Faulk
    Cannon
    Warren
    Crumpler
     No need to rush any of these guys & this will allow to keep 4 additional boarder line guys on the team & see how they develop through 6 weeks & if they are worth keeping long term....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think with the league reaction to all the passing by going with smaller faster D-lineman, Belichick might be thinking, "Hey I'll just get some monster Lineman (Cannon, Vollmer, Solder) and plow these guys in the running game.  And I like It.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Pats draft pick Marcus Cannon finishes Chemo treatments:
    [QUOTE]From the Star-Telegram.com website: Marcus Cannon never was scared of the boogeyman growing up. Or much else for that matter. He admits he doesn't like spiders, but Cannon easily can squish them under his size-15 shoes. The former TCU offensive lineman had never faced fear until April 20, when doctors told him he had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system. He drove, and he cried. He cried, and he drove. And then he prayed. "The first thing my mom and my dad told me to do is pray," Cannon said last week, "and here we are today. I'm a fifth-round Patriots draft pick, and half the mass I had is gone. For everybody who doesn't believe, here's your reason to believe. It's a miracle in itself that somebody with a life-threatening disease gets drafted." Cannon's chemo treatments will be finished this week; his smile is back; he is working out and hopes to be at the New England Patriots' training camp for the first day of practice in August, assuming the NFL lockout ends. "I have a will," Cannon, 23, said. Good at everything Cannon always has been successful at whatever he has attempted. He can dance despite being 6-foot-5, 350 pounds. He can play the piano, though he has never had formal lessons. There is a YouTube video of Cannon, a former lifeguard, doing a double front flip off a party barge. He is a skilled fisherman. He earned All-Mountain West honors in track in 2009 after finishing second in the shot put at the conference meet. He has a communication studies degree from TCU. "He's very good at everything," said 49ers rookie safety Colin Jones, his former TCU teammate and roommate. "He's really lucky, too." Indeed, Cannon calls his cancer diagnosis "a blessing." He was 15 when he discovered a lump on his lower abdomen. Doctors told Cannon it was an infection and would go away. But the lump eventually grew, and when he was a redshirt sophomore at TCU, doctors performed a needle biopsy. "They always told me it was OK," Cannon said. But, after the NFL Scouting Combine in February, rumors spread that Cannon had testicular cancer. That prompted the Indianapolis Colts, who were in the market for an offensive lineman with the 22nd overall pick, to request a full biopsy. The result, which Cannon received eight days before the NFL Draft, was unexpected. "It was pretty shocking," said Cannon's father, Ebbie Cannon. "We had never had cancer in our family. We thought maybe it was a mistake or something." Sports résumé Cannon is one of the strongest players ever to play at TCU. He holds almost every one of the school's weight-room records, including the power clean (500 pounds), the squat (870), the bench press (575) and the incline press (565). The cancer diagnosis, though, initially brought Cannon to his knees. With tears in his eyes and death in his thoughts, he drove his Toyota truck five hours to his parents' house in Odessa. The family found comfort in prayer. "We are a religious family, and we know prayer changes things," Ebbie said. "That was pretty much all I knew to do given the situation we were facing." Cannon had his first chemo treatment on the first day of the draft. He might have been a late first-round pick, but the cancer diagnosis scared the 32 NFL teams as much as it scared Cannon. Despite NFL teams being told by doctors in a memo that his chances of recovery are 90 percent, Cannon's stock dropped. "I just feel badly that it all happened to him," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "I think we're going to beat it, because we caught it early enough, and because of the attitude that he's approached it with, but he could have gone higher in the draft and made more money." 'A good value' The Patriots drafted Cannon 138th overall, with New England coach Bill Belichick calling Cannon "a good value." "How will it work out?" Belichick said the day of the draft. "There are certainly a lot of moving parts and so forth.... We'll all have to find out how it turns out." Cannon said he has no doubts he will play in the NFL for many years, though it remains to be seen whether he will spend this season on injured reserve. Cannon has had nausea only once. The day after his first treatment, he didn't feel well and cut short his fishing trip with Jones. He hasn't lost his hair, and he has maintained his weight despite losing his appetite. (He said he dropped to 338 after his first chemo treatment before figuring out he had to eat despite not being hungry. He now weighs 348.) Cannon lifts three days a week at a local gym and runs at TCU with former teammates. He regularly tests his strength by benching 315 pounds. "If I can do it eight or nine times, I'm good," Cannon said. The same day he had his third chemo treatment, Cannon swam and played basketball. He said he couldn't be better. "All I can do is keep doing what I'm doing," Cannon said. "That's to keep praying and accept my healing." Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/03/3196927/former-tcu-standout-refusing-to.html#ixzz1R3XNSoX2
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Mojo,
         Thanks for the update. A few months ago a Globe writer listed his agent's address in Texas to forward get well wishes - thank god this will no longer be necessary.

paob

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

BB hardly ever starts rookies on the oline anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

A potential 1st Rd pick being taken in the 5th Rd. I'd say that's great value. Best of luck to him in his recovery. I very much look forward to him getting on the field, I think he is going to be a great player for the team in the future. 6'5" 350 and he has dancer's feet??? Can you say pulling guard on the Power-O?

Sections
Shortcuts