Pats Draft Room Video

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Pats Draft Room Video

I anxiously await the Pats Total Access Draft show each season to get a first hand account of what went on in the Pats War room .

Unfortunately -
     They're now editing the crap out of these productions so its tough to get any real scoops  , unlike in years past .
    ( they also blur the board now - so you cant see who / where they had guys rated )

I did pick up a couple things :

1) At the 10 min. mark of the video - they show BB and Nick Ceserio about to call in their Tayvon Wilson pick over to their guy in NYC .
      They both look visibly frustrated ...both of them almost simultaneously grasping their faces in angst  ,the video is then cut short just after Ceserio says  "Tayvon Wilson  ...Defensive back".
     The polar opposite of this clip are the ones of them calling in the Chandler Jones and Hightower picks - which are robustly called in .You here the voice in NYC repeat them back ...BB says " let her rip "....and Ceserio parrots it.

Is the Tayvon Wilson clip cut short cuz the guy receiving the name at Radio City replies with a  "Who ? " ...we'll never know.

Another thing I caught was when they trade with GB you can make out that they also had 2 other offers up on the board . One you can't read , but the other one was Carolina's 4th (104) &  5th ( 143 ) for the Pats 2nd ( 62 ).

Wow ...were the Pats gettin' squeezed or what ?

You can see the relieved look on Ceserio's face as he's calling in the GB trade ...they understandably didn't want their draft to end at the end of round 2.

Here's a link :

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-All-Access---542012/9ef13ea8-6677-466a-89d5-cb08dd9e2e9b

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Pats Draft Room Video

Best guess, Tavon Wilson was the best safety available on the war room's board and that's who BB wanted, but Wilson would be there at the end of the second round if not below.  BB calculated that out of 31 other teams somebody would want to trade up to #48 or into 2012 for a 2013 pick, and most of the time this would be true.  This time, no dice, no trades available on the spot market at almost any price for once.  These things rarely happen, but they happen.  Use the pick or lose it. 

In the middle of the stock market crash of 1929, almost no one wanted to buy stocks.  A boy working on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange put in a bid of $1.00 a share for a $100 stock.  He got it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't see what you see. They look the same to me with every pick. Monotone- we are picking this guy. Cool video though, wish they had more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I wouldn't read too much into that half-second clip . . . 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Pats Draft Room Video:
    [QUOTE] I anxiously await the Pats Total Access Draft show each season to get a first hand account of what went on in the Pats War room .    Unfortunately -  They're now editing the crap out of these productions so its tough to get any real scoops  , unlike in years past . ( they also blur the board now - so you cant see who / where they had guys rated ) I did pick up a couple things : 1) At the 10 min. mark of the video - they show BB and Nick Ceserio about to call in their Tayvon Wilson pick over to their guy in NYC .   They both look visibly frustrated ...both of them almost simultaneously grasping their faces in angst  ,the video is then cut short just after Ceserio says  "Tayvon Wilson  ...Defensive back".  The polar opposite of this clip are the ones of them calling in the Chandler Jones and Hightower picks - which are robustly called in .You here the voice in NYC repeat them back ...BB says " let her rip "....and Ceserio parrots it.   Is the Tayvon Wilson clip cut short cuz the guy receiving the name at Radio City replies with a  "Who ? " ...we'll never know. Another thing I caught was when they trade with GB you can make out that they also had 2 other offers up on the board . One you can't read , but the other one was Carolina's 4th (104) &  5th ( 143 ) for the Pats 2nd ( 62 ).   Wow ...were the Pats gettin' squeezed or what ? You can see the relieved look on Ceserio's face as he's calling in the GB trade ...they understandably didn't want their draft to end at the end of round 2.  Here's a link :   http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-All-Access---542012/9ef13ea8-6677-466a-89d5-cb08dd9e2e9b
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Wow, talk about seeing only what you want to see, even if it's not there!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

Good video, Thanks for posting! Did anyone notice Jonathan Kraft wearing the suit on thursday night and friday night he's either heading to the gym or heading to bed haha

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

The Pats believed SD would take Wilson at 49.  If you recall, SD took my third rated safety in the 3rd round, Brandon Taylor of LSU.  If the Pats believed that Wilson was the 3rd best S, not Taylor, and were convinced SD also felt the same way, then I can understand why they took him at 48 because they couldn't trade down past SD.  The Pats needed a FS badly.  Taylor is really more of a SS so their hands were tied.

I bet they were hoping Harrison Smith would slide into the 2nd round where they could make another trade up to get him but as we know, MIN ruined that idea. 

The Pats came into this draft with 3 goals, get help on each level of the Defense.  After addressing the DL and LB positions, they lost out on Smith and had to go with the S next on their board, which as we now know, was Wilson.  They clearly weren't blown away with the choice as they went DB again twice in the 6-7 round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Draft Room Video:
    [QUOTE]Guys, The Pats believed SD would take Wilson at 49.  If you recall, SD took my third rated safety in the 3rd round, Brandon Taylor of LSU.  If the Pats believed that Wilson was the 3rd best S, not Taylor, and were convinced SD also felt the same way, then I can understand why they took him at 48 because they couldn't trade down past SD.  The Pats needed a FS badly.  Taylor is really more of a SS so their hands were tied. I bet they were hoping Harrison Smith would slide into the 2nd round where they could make another trade up to get him but as we know, MIN ruined that idea.  The Pats came into this draft with 3 goals, get help on each level of the Defense.  After addressing the DL and LB positions, they lost out on Smith and had to go with the S next on their board, which as we now know, was Wilson.  They clearly weren't blown away with the choice as they went DB again twice in the 6-7 round.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Agree

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, The Pats believed SD would take Wilson at 49.  If you recall, SD took my third rated safety in the 3rd round, Brandon Taylor of LSU.  If the Pats believed that Wilson was the 3rd best S, not Taylor, and were convinced SD also felt the same way, then I can understand why they took him at 48 because they couldn't trade down past SD.  The Pats needed a FS badly.  Taylor is really more of a SS so their hands were tied. I bet they were hoping Harrison Smith would slide into the 2nd round where they could make another trade up to get him but as we know, MIN ruined that idea.  The Pats came into this draft with 3 goals, get help on each level of the Defense.  After addressing the DL and LB positions, they lost out on Smith and had to go with the S next on their board, which as we now know, was Wilson.  They clearly weren't blown away with the choice as they went DB again twice in the 6-7 round.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

If San Diego decided to take Wilson at #49, so what? Let them reach, and try to manufacture a FS! Really...was Wilson that much better than Brandon Taylor? Agreed that Taylor is better suited to play SS...but San Diego moved in in round three to get him.  

I don't see Wilson being anywhere near the quality of prospect that were available at other positions, such as DT: (Kendall Reyes, Jerel Worthy, or Brandon Thompson), CB (Josh Robinson, Casey Heywood, and Trumaine Johnson), or LB David Levonte, Vinny Curry, or Zach Brown. Nonetheless, BB still chose to reach. Whether he searched for other options and found none doesn't alter or mitigate the fact that he got very low value for his 48th overall pick.

If Wilson is another Guss Scott/Dexter Reid/Wheatley/Butler type failure, BB deserves to be heavily criticized for this move.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Draft Room Video :      If San Diego decided to take Wilson at #49, so what? Let them reach, and try to manufacture a FS![/QUOTE]

If BB felt getting a safety was a top priority for this draft (because there aren't a lot free agents he likes and he feels we need another safety badly), then it would matter quite a bit, assuming that BB thought Wilson was significantly better for the Pats system than Taylor or the other remaining safeties. 

[QUOTE] Really...was Wilson that much better than Brandon Taylor? Agreed that Taylor is better suited to play SS...but San Diego moved in in round three to get him. [/QUOTE]

I don't know, but BB liked him better, at least for the Pats system.  That's clear enough.  

[QUOTE]I don't see Wilson being anywhere near the quality of prospect that were available at other positions, such as DT: (Kendall Reyes, Jerel Worthy, or Brandon Thompson), CB (Josh Robinson, Casey Heywood, and Trumaine Johnson), or LB David Levonte, Vinny Curry, or Zach Brown. Nonetheless, BB still chose to reach. [/QUOTE]  

BB's most interested in fielding the best possible team next season.  He may have felt he had enough good options at all those other positions and really needed a safety.  Despite what fans think, BB clearly considers need as well as value when he makes his picks. 

[QUOTE]Whether he searched for other options and found none doesn't alter or mitigate the fact that he got very low value for his 48th overall pick.  [/QUOTE]

BB's goal is to field the most competitive team possible; that may not always align with trying to maximize theoretical "value" in the draft.  Sometimes you have to consider your needs and how you can fill them.  If you have a pressing need (and the Pats clearly did have one at safety where they were starting WRs last year) and there's not any other good option for filling that need, then drafting the best remaining player in the position of need in the draft is the smart decision even if it means letting a potentially better player at a different position where you are already strong get by you.  

[QUOTE] If Wilson is another Guss Scott/Dexter Reid/Wheatley/Butler type failure, BB deserves to be heavily criticized for this move.  
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]  
    The move can definitely be criticized.  But heavily?  Really, look at the tape of Wilson and the guys Mel Kiper thought were better than him.  Do you really think Mel Kiper's evaluation means a heap of scheiss?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pats Draft Room Video : Wow, talk about seeing only what you want to see, even if it's not there!
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

I guess I could say something similar about you .

You were not seeing what you didn't want to see .

Somehow you watched the video and didn't see BB and Caserio both grasping their hands to their face during the pick.

Pretty sure you don't have to have a Doctorate in Psychology to understand that it's not a sign of contentment.

At any rate I admit that there's a monotone vibe to all the clips and nobody in the room is exactly turning cartwheels when they turn in the C Jones / Hightower picks either -  we all know that's never going to happen in a BB led Pats war room.

My point is simply that IMO  , they would have prefered to have traded down , but for whatever reason , it wasn't a viable option and they reluctantly cashed in the pick.