pats (finally) make top 5 power rankings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

pats (finally) make top 5 power rankings

After calmly explaining to jintsfan after week 6 (3-3) why NE was a top 5 team by way of flukey last minute losses by total of 4 points, along with Brady being Brady , and an improving defense.

Well it took until week 12 to be acknowledged by ESPN...  But there it is, jints and watch out Houston and Baltimore, here come the 2012 patriots...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Re: pats (finally) make top 5 power rankings

It's funny last week they had Devner above NE even though they have the same record and NE beat the Broncos.  Now with a win over the Might Not Yets they are two spaces above them.  I can't figure these guys out.

On the other hand CBSSPORTS.COM http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21154356/power-rankings-patriots-rounding-into-form-showdown-with-texans-looms has the Pats forth and about the 9-2 Ravens.  I know the Bolts should have beaten the Ravens this week but they didn't and the Ravens beat us.  It's all about who your favorite is this week.

The good news is they are 6th in rushing and 3rd in Passing and 1st on overall Offense so balance is paying off and they will be 1st or 2nd in the Power Ranking by week 16 or 17.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

These rankings are supposed to give up to date assessment , but the anti pats bias is ridiculous.  Yes records matter but if you're mediocre on the field you should drop like the jints

schaub hasn't impressed me and flacco looks flummoxed... Throws a check down on 4th and 29... Come on, man...!  And then gets it.  ugh...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have New England at #1 with a 15.2 power ranking.  The second place team, San Francisco, isn't even that close at 13.8.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

After calmly explaining to jintsfan after week 6 (3-3) why NE was a top 5 team by way of flukey last minute losses by total of 4 points, along with Brady being Brady , and an improving defense.

Well it took until week 12 to be acknowledged by ESPN...  But there it is, jints and watch out Houston and Baltimore, here come the 2012 patriots...

hey coolade, the rankings vary every week because a teams strength ovten varies form week to week. the pats didnt belong in the the top 5 till recently.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

hey coolade, the rankings vary every week because a teams strength ovten varies form week to week. the pats didnt belong in the the top 5 till recently.

Except I knew it 6 weeks ago....  Right now they should be 1st like Paul k.s numbers are showing.  If they take the NE defense numbers the last  few weeks then you have above average D to go with dominating O.  no team beats that ... Balt, tex, trending down...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

It's funny last week they had Devner above NE even though they have the same record and NE beat the Broncos.  Now with a win over the Might Not Yets they are two spaces above them.  I can't figure these guys out.

On the other hand CBSSPORTS.COM http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21154356/power-rankings-patriots-rounding-into-form-showdown-with-texans-looms has the Pats forth and about the 9-2 Ravens.  I know the Bolts should have beaten the Ravens this week but they didn't and the Ravens beat us.  It's all about who your favorite is this week.

The good news is they are 6th in rushing and 3rd in Passing and 1st on overall Offense so balance is paying off and they will be 1st or 2nd in the Power Ranking by week 16 or 17.

Good post...  Looks like prisco is buying in...  CBS knows...  They have the whole tape.  It's all right there if people choose not to ignore it...

Yeah that Denver Peyton infatuation was irritating, apparently Denver d had a better yardage ranking but that shouldn't trump head to head.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The media is anti Patriots or at least to a homer like myself it seems that way. These power rankings put too much emphasis on the teams record. The record should be an important factor but they should also look at strength of schedule, how teams are playing and who's hot. The Patriots have been dominating everyone of late while the Ravens have won several close games that came down to a break from the officials or gift from their opponent. The Ravens beat the Patriots in the last minute at home in week 3 and are a game ahead because of it. In reality most would agree that the Patriots are the better team and clearly playing better than the Ravens.

Im not into power rankings but it's interesting to see what people outside Patriot land think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Power rankings are irrelevent...

Good teams (Ravens/Texans) find ways to win close games...bad teams (Chargers/Lions) find ways to lose em...

Like it or not the Patriots had their chance to put Baltimore away earlier this year and failed to do so..Which is and was a big loss in the conference rankings...Which is the only ranking that's relevent. They also should have beaten both the Seahawks (10 point 4th quarter lead) & Cardinals (missed field goal). Spilt milk.

Who's the best team in football on paper? Not sure that matters...Who's the one that get's to hold onto the shiny football after the last game, is the best team in football. The good news is that we the fans of the Patriots along with a handful of other fandoms have as good a shot as any to be the one's that get to buy the Super Bowl gear come the thaw of spring...till then enjoy the chase...You could be a fan of the Jet's...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Power rankings don't mean squat to me. 

We're a better offense this year than we were in years past, we're a better defense this year than we've been since 2007. Easily the best offense in the NFL and, arguably, ranked in the top half in defense now with Talib, Dennard and McCourty in the backfield. 

That's all I care about!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

These guys and the power rankings.........HA! They can blow it out their @SS!! The Pats are peaking now and have an excellent chance of winning out the rest of the schedule.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

Interesting, but I don't care about rankings much. This team is as good as any in the league and is trending up. That's all I care about every year.

The media hates to give NE credit as we know so there is no point in wondering why. We know why.

They spent the first 10 weeks overly-praising every top flight AFC team, but NE. They ignored that the replacement refs and the incorrect FG call in Balt was WHY Balt won, too.

Denver, Balt, Houston, Pitt, Indy, etc are all teams that are apparently superior to NE even though it's really not the case on paper or how it appears on Sundays.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find even a casual fan who thinks Indy is better than the Pats this year, but imagining these fantasies fuels you for the coming day, have at it. 

That said, I am not surprised that you can conjure up mountains in the everglades.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I kind of like it when the Pats hover around the 5-8 range. Ofcourse I realise that if the Pats beat Houston and San Fran it would be hard not to make them #1. More important to me is first round bye and homefield. Might not get homefield throughout the playoffs. Best idea is to win out and see where the chips fall. All the teams ahead of the Pats on the poll are teams that can be beaten. Turnovers have been huge for the Pats D; if that continues, as I have stated all along, no one will want to play the Pats in the playoffs.

IMO the running game is as good as its been since the Dillion era, the team is what? +22 in TO differential, the defense is improving every week and Brady is Brady. And the Pats have racked up wins without their second best offensive player (Gronk) and their best pass rusher (Jones). If everyone is healthy (big if) there is no reason this team can't go on a big playoff run. First things first; let's beat Miami and secure another division title.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

#5 is ok with me...

You know it could be better this way since getting all pumped up in the media can be a pitfall...  look at Eli.  Returned to opie form after jints beat SF badly. 

the undercurrent of hate and resentment and jealousy is there and apparently isn't going anywhere.  oh, well...  this team is getting better, not like the cliche but like they know what they're doing and what they just missed last year. ..  I'm good with that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

I kind of like it when the Pats hover around the 5-8 range. Ofcourse I realise that if the Pats beat Houston and San Fran it would be hard not to make them #1. More important to me is first round bye and homefield. Might not get homefield throughout the playoffs. Best idea is to win out and see where the chips fall. All the teams ahead of the Pats on the poll are teams that can be beaten. Turnovers have been huge for the Pats D; if that continues, as I have stated all along, no one will want to play the Pats in the playoffs.

IMO the running game is as good as its been since the Dillion era, the team is what? +22 in TO differential, the defense is improving every week and Brady is Brady. And the Pats have racked up wins without their second best offensive player (Gronk) and their best pass rusher (Jones). If everyone is healthy (big if) there is no reason this team can't go on a big playoff run. First things first; let's beat Miami and secure another division title.

Don't really care for the rankings.  I guess getting a bye in the first rounds means one less game to play when trying to get to SB.  The Patriots would have to beat both the Texans and 49ers to get a #2 seed. That being said,  and due to being superstitious - I'd rather have the Patriots lose to the texans and 49ers during the regular season and be seeded lower, and beat them in the playoffs.  It's so tough to beat good teams twice in the same season....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Buffalo, Indy and the Jets are not top tier teams. We'll certainly know more after the Houston and San Francisco games. While improved, the Pats pass defense is still dead-last in the NFL. This team appears to be progressing, but the Buffalo game only 3 weeks ago was a real stinker. The offense has been playing great but there is still hugh improvement to be made on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully we'll be seeing strides made in that area this sunday.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Meh. Who cares.

FWIW, I might rank the 49ers and Texans ahead of them -- far more likely the 49ers who are on fire, and look even better with Capernick (sp?). 

Both of those teams have better defenses and fine offenses. 

In the end, though, it's where you finish ... not where chicken necked analysts rank you in the regular season.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

One thing to feel good about...  Some rankings mean more than others...  Coldhardfootballfacts has NE #4 in their quality stats ranking.

This ranking has more validity since it discounts record almost entirely and looks at combined stats that have a closer correlation to predicting winners.   #1 is surprisingly Denver who has impressive defensive stats.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Meh. Who cares.

FWIW, I might rank the 49ers and Texans ahead of them -- far more likely the 49ers who are on fire, and look even better with Capernick (sp?). 

Both of those teams have better defenses and fine offenses. 

In the end, though, it's where you finish ... not where chicken necked analysts rank you in the regular season.

Chris Collinsneck is offended by that statement.

Ha! I was thinking about the other guy, his name escapes me, on ESPN. Glasses. Nerdy. Balding. He's actually not that bad, but .... really .... who cares about power rankings. Where would people have ranked the 01 Pats, 07 Giants, etcetera through 11 games. 

I'll take the Lombardi as a sweet #1 ranking, after that .... number one in the standings please.

Sections
Shortcuts