pats (finally) make top 5 power rankings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: pats (finally) make top 5 power rankings

In response to Neal Page's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Meh. Who cares.

FWIW, I might rank the 49ers and Texans ahead of them -- far more likely the 49ers who are on fire, and look even better with Capernick (sp?). 

Both of those teams have better defenses and fine offenses. 

In the end, though, it's where you finish ... not where chicken necked analysts rank you in the regular season.

Chris Collinsneck is offended by that statement.

Ha! I was thinking about the other guy, his name escapes me, on ESPN. Glasses. Nerdy. Balding. He's actually not that bad, but .... really .... who cares about power rankings. Where would people have ranked the 01 Pats, 07 Giants, etcetera through 11 games. 

I'll take the Lombardi as a sweet #1 ranking, after that .... number one in the standings please.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Meh. Who cares.

FWIW, I might rank the 49ers and Texans ahead of them -- far more likely the 49ers who are on fire, and look even better with Capernick (sp?). 

Both of those teams have better defenses and fine offenses. 

In the end, though, it's where you finish ... not where chicken necked analysts rank you in the regular season.

Chris Collinsneck is offended by that statement.

Ha! I was thinking about the other guy, his name escapes me, on ESPN. Glasses. Nerdy. Balding. He's actually not that bad, but .... really .... who cares about power rankings. Where would people have ranked the 01 Pats, 07 Giants, etcetera through 11 games. 

I'll take the Lombardi as a sweet #1 ranking, after that .... number one in the standings please.

Gotta be John Clayton.   He's a huge Steelers fan.  I am not even sure he's even kissed a girl. He's sort of like Phat Rex.

Yeah. That's his name. 

Nonsense. You know he built himself an android girlfriend out of a mop end, a wate pail, some broomsticks, and spare VCRs. He kissed that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

One thing to feel good about...  Some rankings mean more than others...  Coldhardfootballfacts has NE #4 in their quality stats ranking.

This ranking has more validity since it discounts record almost entirely and looks at combined stats that have a closer correlation to predicting winners.   #1 is surprisingly Denver who has impressive defensive stats.

Denver hasn't played anyone. Also, when you consider that McGehee is done, that's a huge loss as is Joe Mays at LB.

When they play QBs who are good, they get shredded down the middle.

Denver and Baltimore are totally overrated. 

It's nice when your team kicked #1's A$$$... 

Pats 31 broncos 21,  and this was part of Denver losing 3 of 4 back in October. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Please tell me we will see Mr. Happyfeet Manning in NE in Jan in a Blizzard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

It's funny last week they had Devner above NE even though they have the same record and NE beat the Broncos.  Now with a win over the Might Not Yets they are two spaces above them.  I can't figure these guys out.

On the other hand CBSSPORTS.COM http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21154356/power-rankings-patriots-rounding-into-form-showdown-with-texans-looms has the Pats forth and about the 9-2 Ravens.  I know the Bolts should have beaten the Ravens this week but they didn't and the Ravens beat us.  It's all about who your favorite is this week.

The good news is they are 6th in rushing and 3rd in Passing and 1st on overall Offense so balance is paying off and they will be 1st or 2nd in the Power Ranking by week 16 or 17.

Good post...  Looks like prisco is buying in...  CBS knows...  They have the whole tape.  It's all right there if people choose not to ignore it...

Yeah that Denver Peyton infatuation was irritating, apparently Denver d had a better yardage ranking but that shouldn't trump head to head.

This is what I hate. If they're pro pats, they're considered "experts", but if they place them lower than where you place them, "they're irritating". Homerism at it's finist. If Pats aren't number 1, then everyone is an idiot!!!

Here's why I am perfectly fine with a ranking of #5 or whatever it is.

The Patriots have been destroying the teams theyve played in the last 4 or 5 weeks. It also looks like the defense is improving. Thus, trending upwards.

As for why I wouldn't put them at #1. They only have 1 win against a quality opponent. And by quality, I mean a Super Bowl contending team, not a team that will make the playoffs by default of a down year (Colts). They beat Denver, and lost to Baltimore and Sea. They even lost to ARZ when they were considered a top defense. If you want to argue that the Pats are a different team now than before, then you can say the same for the Bronco's, who look better now than they did when we played them.

People who always bash the Falcons, Bronco's or Texans for getting by on a weak schedule need to realize the Pats have had a relatively easy schedule too. Yes, they lost by a combined total of 4 points, but they still lost.

My personal rankings (which should mean nothing to you as this is all opinionated)

1. SF. Best all around team in the league. Kaepernick is the wild card though. That loss to the Gmen showed how this offense will struggle if it falls behind. That being said, against two of the three best QBs in the league (Brees and Rodgers) they fared pretty well. That's a good sign going into the playoffs.

2. NYG. Yes, the Giants. They play to their opponents level. Absolutely dominating wins against SF and GB. Football isn't always won by who has the best overall team but by how you matchup against your opponent. They don't have the best defense, but they have a great defense designed for pass heavy teams. They also have a QB who doesn't get rattled by pressure. They may be inconsistent during the regular season, but they play their best when the pressure is highest and their backs are against the wall. These guys play their best as underdogs. A couple of more losses in the regular season might actually make this team more dangerous.

3. NE. They've been the best team in the last couple of weeks. That said, I'd like to see how they perform against HOU and NE before putting them any higher. If NE beats HOU and SF, I'll be cautiously optimistic. They destroyed some pretty good teams in 2010 only to lose in the playoffs to a team they beat 45-3 previously. I've had my heart broken by this team the last couple of years, so I'm a bit more cautious on the Pats than most fans.

4. HOU. Team is here based off of record. Solid defense and a better offense than I expected. They should also have home field. That being said that GB game is still fresh in my mind. They beat Manning while he was still returning to form. I have trouble trusting that defense against an offense led by elite QBs...beating Brady would definitely help their case.

5. GB. They're offensive line problems are real. That being said, I put them ahead of ATL because I don't think ATL has the pass rush to expose their issues the same way the Gmen and/or 49ers can. Rodgers is an excellent QB. They should have Matthews, Woodson and Jennings back for the playoff run.

I left Bal and ATL out because they seem to have trouble putting people away until the final minutes. To me, that's going to be a bad sign once they play the better teams in the playoffs.

Den was left off because their offense is too one dimensional. Same could be said about GB, but I think GB's offense is still more dynamic. That being said, it's getting to the stretch run and the weather is going to start getting colder. I've been impressed with a lot of Peyton Manning regular seasons only to see them exit the playoffs early. Wouldn't surprise me if this team was one and done, also wouldn't surprise me if they win it all

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

One thing to feel good about...  Some rankings mean more than others...  Coldhardfootballfacts has NE #4 in their quality stats ranking.

This ranking has more validity since it discounts record almost entirely and looks at combined stats that have a closer correlation to predicting winners.   #1 is surprisingly Denver who has impressive defensive stats.

Denver hasn't played anyone. Also, when you consider that McGehee is done, that's a huge loss as is Joe Mays at LB.

When they play QBs who are good, they get shredded down the middle.

Denver and Baltimore are totally overrated. 

They did a pretty good job on Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

"Well it took until week 12 to be acknowledged by ESPN...  But there it is, jints and watch out Houston and Baltimore, here come the 2012 patriots"...

There's a reason why it take 12 weeks to get to the point where the contenders and the pretenders begin to separate themselves from the pack. In a word it's called evolution...As the season progresses teams begin to put together a library of film on each opponant. The more film a co-ordinators / Head coach has on what a teams tendencies are the easier it becomes to develop successful game plans. The better prepared a team is to play another, can be the difference between a win and a loss...End of the day what the film also exposes is how well what you do well matches up against what your opponents able to do given the strengths / weaknesses of the respective teams personell.

If you look at the preseason predictions and compare them to the current "power rankings" how many pundits predicted that the Eagles would be the team to beat in the NFC. Today not so much. So if you look at the evolution of the top teams in the current rankings. The Broncos as an example. Are a far different team than they were in week 1...Ditto for a team like the Saints. Who were all but left for dead entering the season and through the first 6 weeks didn't give anyone a reason to doubt they'd be also rans at the end...not sure any of the current top NFC team are rooting for them to make the playoffs so they can play them in the first round.

If you look at the Patriots season without bias. It took the better part of 5 or 6 games for Brady and McDaniel's to fine tune the current offense and until thge aquision of and the intergration of Talib and Denard at the corners, which made it possible to keep Mccourty ay safty our defense rightfully was at the heart of why the pudits didn't jump on the bandwagon...Had we beaten the Ravens our rise to the top of the rankings would have come sooner...why we lost to the Ravens is at the heart of why it took so long for the Patriots to earn their current rise in the power rankings" we didn't sustain a drive in the 4th quarter with the lead and we couldn't stop them from marching down the field and icing the game...It's not bias it's reality...the Patriot are a good team led by a Hall of Fame quarterback until the defense proves worthy. Whenever the topic of the teams strengths is fodder for discussion...the caviat will alway be they're a great offensive team, just not sure they have a superbowl worthy defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

"Well it took until week 12 to be acknowledged by ESPN...  But there it is, jints and watch out Houston and Baltimore, here come the 2012 patriots"...

There's a reason why it take 12 weeks to get to the point where the contenders and the pretenders begin to separate themselves from the pack. In a word it's called evolution...As the season progresses teams begin to put together a library of film on each opponant. The more film a co-ordinators / Head coach has on what a teams tendencies are the easier it becomes to develop successful game plans. The better prepared a team is to play another, can be the difference between a win and a loss...End of the day what the film also exposes is how well what you do well matches up against what your opponents able to do given the strengths / weaknesses of the respective teams personell.

If you look at the preseason predictions and compare them to the current "power rankings" how many pundits predicted that the Eagles would be the team to beat in the NFC. Today not so much. So if you look at the evolution of the top teams in the current rankings. The Broncos as an example. Are a far different team than they were in week 1...Ditto for a team like the Saints. Who were all but left for dead entering the season and through the first 6 weeks didn't give anyone a reason to doubt they'd be also rans at the end...not sure any of the current top NFC team are rooting for them to make the playoffs so they can play them in the first round.

If you look at the Patriots season without bias. It took the better part of 5 or 6 games for Brady and McDaniel's to fine tune the current offense and until thge aquision of and the intergration of Talib and Denard at the corners, which made it possible to keep Mccourty ay safty our defense rightfully was at the heart of why the pudits didn't jump on the bandwagon...Had we beaten the Ravens our rise to the top of the rankings would have come sooner...why we lost to the Ravens is at the heart of why it took so long for the Patriots to earn their current rise in the power rankings" we didn't sustain a drive in the 4th quarter with the lead and we couldn't stop them from marching down the field and icing the game...It's not bias it's reality...the Patriot are a good team led by a Hall of Fame quarterback until the defense proves worthy. Whenever the topic of the teams strengths is fodder for discussion...the caviat will alway be they're a great offensive team, just not sure they have a superbowl worthy defense.

I don't think the patriots wins and improvements are about film... Sorry. 

It's about the players .  The patriots controlled most of the games against Baltimore and Seattle and a few mistakes caused them to lose.  The cardinals game "should" have been a win also.

What you look at as a flaw (pass D) I see as young players gaining confidence and that's not homerism but I study the patriots much closer than other teams.  The athletism and playmaking ability of the front seven has been obvious from day 1.  These guys have made life miserable for teams, except for a lot of garbage time yards. The mistakes were correctable and the "fortunate  finishes " teams were experienceing were unlikely to continue.

then there's Brady.  Ya think hes top 5?  Gronk all world.  Welker unstoppable. Special teams, running game , everybody filling a role and picking up the next guy.  Yes some replacememts have helped. MCC over Chung... Dennard going in.  Then talib.

Again it's there if you choose not to ignore it.  As many have posted, rankings don't mean much, but if you look at personnel, patriots have been top 5 the whole year much to the dismay of pundits. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

It's about the players .  The patriots controlled most of the games against Baltimore and Seattle and a few mistakes caused them to lose.  The cardinals game "should" have been a win also.

What you look at as a flaw (pass D) I see as young players gaining confidence and that's not homerism but I study the patriots much closer than other teams.  The athletism and playmaking ability of the front seven has been obvious from day 1.  These guys have made life miserable for teams, except for a lot of garbage time yards. The mistakes were correctable and the "fortunate  finishes " teams were experienceing were unlikely to continue.

then there's Brady.  Ya think hes top 5?  Gronk all world.  Welker unstoppable. Special teams, running game , everybody filling a role and picking up the next guy.  Yes some replacememts have helped. MCC over Chung... Dennard going in.  Then talib.

Again it's there if you choose not to ignore it.  As many have posted, rankings don't mean much, but if you look at personnel, patriots have been top 5 the whole year much to the dismay of pundits. 

I don't think it's as much of gaining confidence as it is:

Dennard is better than Arrington

McCourty is a better safety than Chung

Talib is a better corner than McCourty

I was absolutely horrified of this D after the Bills game because

1. The game was after a bye

2. The defense was the same pass defense from week 1

This D was not gradually improving as the season went on. They had a good game against the Rams, but then regressed the next game.

The new defensive backfield is not only better than it was before the Talib trade, but it seems like it has become good enough for BB to feel safe blitzing more often.

However, I think this defense will be screwed in the playoffs if Jones isn't healthy.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

I don't think it's as much of gaining confidence as it is:

Dennard is better than Arrington

McCourty is a better safety than Chung

Talib is a better corner than McCourty

I was absolutely horrified of this D after the Bills game because

1. The game was after a bye

2. The defense was the same pass defense from week 1

This D was not gradually improving as the season went on. They had a good game against the Rams, but then regressed the next game.

The new defensive backfield is not only better than it was before the Talib trade, but it seems like it has become good enough for BB to feel safe blitzing more often.

However, I think this defense will be screwed in the playoffs if Jones isn't healthy.

OR... They will continue to dominate up front and be opportunistic in the back end with turnovers.  We just have to see what happens.

The buffalo game was just weird.  Referees ruined the flow of the game with too many penalties while the patriots timing was rusty after the break. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

That's not what I stated nor implied with the Patriots. What I said was that as teams get more film on their opponents, it allows them to better game plan and that is why it takes 12 weeks to separate the contenders from the pretenders.

I agree that it's about the players on both sides of the ball. The Balitmore game was lost due to our offense not being able to sustain drives in the forth quarter "put the game away" and our defense not being able to stop the Ravens from marching down the field in the second half almost at will. Ditto the Seattle game...One we dominated early but couldn't convert in the red zone, allowed them to stick around. Then our defense imploded in the forth quarter...The Cardinal game was truly the one that got away, not just because of a missed field goal at the end of the game...

So while I agree that we could have won all three, if not for a few plays. Fact is, we didn't. My greater point is the why's of why we lost are at the heart of why the Patriots were not "ranked in the top 5 teams". Lest we forget that 6 weeks into the season. We were a .500 football team with questions about our offensive lines ability to keep rady clean still unanswered. Like it or not a defense that while young and unproven with a pretty good front seven was seen as a fatal flaw becasue of our lack of ability to get pressure without blitzing and a secondary that until the recent changes has been the fatal flaw of this team for the past few years...

I don't think anyone would argue that the Patriots were/are a top 5 team. The greater question still unanswered is just how good is our defense and is it a fatal flaw?

End of the day, if you look at the strengths and weaknesses of every team that is seen as a top 10 team and evaluated them based overall weighted average of the quality of all three phases of the game. The Patriots would likely be ranked #1 in offense, near the bottom on the defensive side of the ball and in the middle of the pack on special teams. Just take a look at the teams below and tell me which of the current teams in the hunt do you see us as having a better defesne? I can't make a compelling arguement that we're better than any save for the Packers...

Atlanta

San Francisco

Baltimore

New England

NY Giants

Denver

Green Bay

Chicago

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Seeing these rankings is simply an excercise in which team is the darling of the week and some pundits have obvious biases towards certain teams.  Some of the rationale given why a team is ranked here and another there is so off the wall.  For the same reason one pundit will say the Pats are not ranked higher is ignored when another team is ranked higher.  What I find interesting, and I am not saying Denver is not a good team, but the love shown to that team is all because of Manning.  Seems the Pats handled them quite handily, yet, many have Denver better than the Pats.  Go figure!  In the end, it is who is left standing on SB Sunday that everyone points to even if the winning team has 7 loses to the losers 3.  It is all about who is playing best on that one day!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Instead of "power ranking" they should call it "argument ranking"...  The team with the best argument goes on top.

Record, players, stats, coaching, strength of schedule, trend...  all that stuff.  Or you can argue intangibles or you can completely make up your own argument  like:

"went to SB, almost won, could be undefeated except for flukey close games, have best qb/coach combination of all time still in their prime, offense dominant, defense trending toward top 10...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

After calmly explaining to jintsfan after week 6 (3-3) why NE was a top 5 team by way of flukey last minute losses by total of 4 points, along with Brady being Brady , and an improving defense.

Well it took until week 12 to be acknowledged by ESPN...  But there it is, jints and watch out Houston and Baltimore, here come the 2012 patriots...

And after they beat Houston and S.F. back to back they will be number 1. Count on it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to PaulLaCourse's comment:

After calmly explaining to jintsfan after week 6 (3-3) why NE was a top 5 team by way of flukey last minute losses by total of 4 points, along with Brady being Brady , and an improving defense.

Well it took until week 12 to be acknowledged by ESPN...  But there it is, jints and watch out Houston and Baltimore, here come the 2012 patriots...

And after they beat Houston and S.F. back to back they will be number 1. Count on it!

Exactly...  As much as pundits like to prop up the weakly sisters of the league, people here know what we have in spite of dinks like jints playing games in his own head.

5th, 4th...1 st...   Whatever.  Point is , this team is building on greatness while others are grasping at their moment in the sun.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to PaulLaCourse's comment:

I told you all so; now San Francisco gets it next week.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Power rankings are irrelevant. Who wants to be king of the regular season. 

Hate to say it, but looks like the Colts got themselves a QB. That said I'm not concerned about them this year. Next year and onward, however...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

I have New England at #1 with a 15.2 power ranking.  The second place team, San Francisco, isn't even that close at 13.8.

I'm absolutely right and they're still famous.  Go figure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I have New England at #1 with a 15.2 power ranking.  The second place team, San Francisco, isn't even that close at 13.8.

I'm absolutely right and they're still famous.  Go figure.

Not sure who is famous, but the #1 power ranking rings true this week...

One puzzler all year has been SF and Houston on top every week with sketchy QB performance.  Its a QB league... Hello.  ?  whatever... Pats were the pick last week ...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts