Re: pats (finally) make top 5 power rankings
posted at 11/28/2012 8:12 PM EST
In response to coolade2's comment:
In response to Tomhab's comment:
It's funny last week they had Devner above NE even though they have the same record and NE beat the Broncos. Now with a win over the Might Not Yets they are two spaces above them. I can't figure these guys out.
On the other hand CBSSPORTS.COM http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21154356/power-rankings-patriots-rounding-into-form-showdown-with-texans-looms has the Pats forth and about the 9-2 Ravens. I know the Bolts should have beaten the Ravens this week but they didn't and the Ravens beat us. It's all about who your favorite is this week.
The good news is they are 6th in rushing and 3rd in Passing and 1st on overall Offense so balance is paying off and they will be 1st or 2nd in the Power Ranking by week 16 or 17.
Good post... Looks like prisco is buying in... CBS knows... They have the whole tape. It's all right there if people choose not to ignore it...
Yeah that Denver Peyton infatuation was irritating, apparently Denver d had a better yardage ranking but that shouldn't trump head to head.
This is what I hate. If they're pro pats, they're considered "experts", but if they place them lower than where you place them, "they're irritating". Homerism at it's finist. If Pats aren't number 1, then everyone is an idiot!!!
Here's why I am perfectly fine with a ranking of #5 or whatever it is.
The Patriots have been destroying the teams theyve played in the last 4 or 5 weeks. It also looks like the defense is improving. Thus, trending upwards.
As for why I wouldn't put them at #1. They only have 1 win against a quality opponent. And by quality, I mean a Super Bowl contending team, not a team that will make the playoffs by default of a down year (Colts). They beat Denver, and lost to Baltimore and Sea. They even lost to ARZ when they were considered a top defense. If you want to argue that the Pats are a different team now than before, then you can say the same for the Bronco's, who look better now than they did when we played them.
People who always bash the Falcons, Bronco's or Texans for getting by on a weak schedule need to realize the Pats have had a relatively easy schedule too. Yes, they lost by a combined total of 4 points, but they still lost.
My personal rankings (which should mean nothing to you as this is all opinionated)
1. SF. Best all around team in the league. Kaepernick is the wild card though. That loss to the Gmen showed how this offense will struggle if it falls behind. That being said, against two of the three best QBs in the league (Brees and Rodgers) they fared pretty well. That's a good sign going into the playoffs.
2. NYG. Yes, the Giants. They play to their opponents level. Absolutely dominating wins against SF and GB. Football isn't always won by who has the best overall team but by how you matchup against your opponent. They don't have the best defense, but they have a great defense designed for pass heavy teams. They also have a QB who doesn't get rattled by pressure. They may be inconsistent during the regular season, but they play their best when the pressure is highest and their backs are against the wall. These guys play their best as underdogs. A couple of more losses in the regular season might actually make this team more dangerous.
3. NE. They've been the best team in the last couple of weeks. That said, I'd like to see how they perform against HOU and NE before putting them any higher. If NE beats HOU and SF, I'll be cautiously optimistic. They destroyed some pretty good teams in 2010 only to lose in the playoffs to a team they beat 45-3 previously. I've had my heart broken by this team the last couple of years, so I'm a bit more cautious on the Pats than most fans.
4. HOU. Team is here based off of record. Solid defense and a better offense than I expected. They should also have home field. That being said that GB game is still fresh in my mind. They beat Manning while he was still returning to form. I have trouble trusting that defense against an offense led by elite QBs...beating Brady would definitely help their case.
5. GB. They're offensive line problems are real. That being said, I put them ahead of ATL because I don't think ATL has the pass rush to expose their issues the same way the Gmen and/or 49ers can. Rodgers is an excellent QB. They should have Matthews, Woodson and Jennings back for the playoff run.
I left Bal and ATL out because they seem to have trouble putting people away until the final minutes. To me, that's going to be a bad sign once they play the better teams in the playoffs.
Den was left off because their offense is too one dimensional. Same could be said about GB, but I think GB's offense is still more dynamic. That being said, it's getting to the stretch run and the weather is going to start getting colder. I've been impressed with a lot of Peyton Manning regular seasons only to see them exit the playoffs early. Wouldn't surprise me if this team was one and done, also wouldn't surprise me if they win it all