Pats get Burgess...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rowech. Show rowech's posts

Pats get Burgess...

Details to come - nice pickup, a little more relieved to hear they are addressing this area (finally...)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tobes18. Show Tobes18's posts

Re: Pats get Burgess...

I love this trade.

*Patriots acquired OLB/DE Derrick Burgess from the Raiders in exchange for "undisclosed draft considerations."
    The Raiders were believed to be asking for a third- and a fourth-rounder, but the price may have dropped with Burgess' holdout. The talented but injury-prone veteran fills the Pats' biggest defensive need as a pass rushing presence at weak outside linebacker. He'll likely replace Pierre Woods as the expected starter while giving the Pats' defense/special teams a fantasy boost.*

Burgess fills a need we've needed, and he is coming to our team underrated. He is usually a hit or miss but because he is on a better (if not best) team, he will put in more of an effort. Perfect fit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Pats get Burgess...:
    [QUOTE]Details to come - nice pickup, a little more relieved to hear they are addressing this area (finally...)
    Posted by rowech[/QUOTE] i was just reading it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/patriots-acquire-derrick-burgess/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tobes18. Show Tobes18's posts

Also in both seasons that he played all 16 games (05' and '06), he had 16 and 11 sacks. Not bad. The following year he had 8 which is still decent. He only had 4 last year but it was in only 10 games and limited playing time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

he had 3 1/2 last yr.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Pats get Burgess...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Pats get Burgess... : i was just reading it. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/patriots-acquire-derrick-burgess/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] a 3rd,and 5th rd picks in 2011.two picks,but not until two yrs from now.plus we beat out the eagles who were offering a 3rd,and a player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/patriots-acquire-derrick-burgess/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsportsfan2217. Show bostonsportsfan2217's posts

good stuff nice trade for the pats

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

The player the Eagles were supposedly offering couldn't have been that good if Oak would rather have a 5th rounder.  Also a little surprised Oak will wait until the 2011 draft to get compensated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Great news. To me Burgess is a stud at OLB and he is younger and cheaper than Peppers. Two time Pro Bowler and alot of sacks except for last season, where he got tired of playing for the Raiders. Our defense sure looks dangerous now!
    All we need now is for Wilfork and Big Sey to sign - and then add a good ILB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

peppers is a year younger,but burgess is a whole lot cheaper.the 3rd rd pick is a little steep for a guy his age,and on his final year.but a good pick up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Former Raiders executive Mike Lombardi who writes for the National Football Post reports the Raiders got a third-round pick in 2010 and a fifth round pick in 2011

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?blogid=11&entry_id=45060#readmore

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Do the Raiders have a good young ILB we can possibly steal from them?How about that stud CB Ashamoga is he available?? I know we have a few more draft choices we can send their way!!! Moss,Jordan(last year),Walter,and now Burgess.From now on when I hear the words Oakland and Raiders at the same time I'm thinking Pittsburgh Pirates!!!A Boston farm team...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Now were talking football apologizes to all in Egyptian dwarf threadCool
    To me this shows that the pats are serious this year, gotta love BB and Floyd.
    Now get him in and coach him up.

One thread was the KC Patriots looks like we're the New England Raiders
    Moss,Walters,and Burgess from dog cr@p to top dog

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Great news. To me Burgess is a stud at OLB and he is younger and cheaper than Peppers. Two time Pro Bowler and alot of sacks except for last season, where he got tired of playing for the Raiders."

"cheaper?yes. but peppers is a few months younger.which dosent mean anything."

It's also pretty tough to call Burgess a "stud" at OLB when he's barely even played the position.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I for one, am excited about this acquisition. It basically follows the same formula as that of Randy Moss, stats-wise with a gradual drop off. The sacks drop off are not a fluke because the tackles (solo and assisted) drop off as well, indicating overall decline in quality and time of play.

He missed week 4 through 11 last year, and prior to that, his average was .5 sacks per game, which means he would have been on pace for 8-10 sacks.

Burgess is not old. He is 30 which is the peak at which athletes are at their physical and mental best, and most experienced.

Also when he first signed with Oakland in '05, you see a big jump in his stats across the board. 

Expect to see the same, this coming season, and don't forget, there's a monster on the other side who will get plenty of attention. He didn't have that in Oakland.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Sounds good to me, we already have 3 2nd round picks next year so I dont mind losing a 3rd and 5th

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

..................Warren........... Wilfolk .............Seymore

Burgess........Mayo...................Bruschi....................Thomas

Bodden..........Sanders................Meriweather..............Whilte

Am I close with this?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

peppers-1-18-1980

burgess-8-12-1978

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Harley....Wilhite starting over Springs? we'll see.....but great trade....let's see how fast Burgess can assimilate and whether he can provide that "situational pass rush".....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

[QUOTE]To me this shows that the pats are serious this year, gotta love BB and Floyd. [/QUOTE]

Ditto that...

Nothing is more annoying than seeing a glaring hole on the team and not seeing them doing anything about it.

Like last year going into the season with 5'9 Hobbs, beat-down O'Neal and 5'9 Wheatley as their top trio of Corners...

Sorry... no amount of optimism could make me beleive any team with a CB situation like that was likely to make it to the SB... let alone win it.

Now that they have a serious playmaker with proven talent that they can throw opposite of Thomas, I am happy... I sure as heck didn't believe that Woods, TBC and Crable were going to get it done... all total those three have proven they can do SQUAT in the NFL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]
    ..................Warren........... Wilfolk .............Seymore Burgess........Mayo...................Bruschi....................Thomas Bodden..........Sanders................Meriweather..............Whilte

Am I close with this?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

I think Springs will play CB on day one, at a 50/50 chance. As the season wears on we will see more of the young CBs and more of Chung. I wouldn't rule out Chung getting a day one start either. I know some people think that is nuts, but last year I thought Mayo would start day one, and was right, based purely on the player's work ethic. And Chung's got that.

The best part is that the sub packages are awesome. Having Brace as a backup will be huge. This defense looks better already.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]...........Warren........... Wilfolk ...............Seymore Burgess........Mayo...................Bruschi....................Thomas
    .....?...................?...........................?................................?
    Am I close with this?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]Harley....Wilhite starting over Springs? we'll see.....but great trade....let's see how fast Burgess can assimilate and whether he can provide that "situational pass rush".....
    Posted by mountainmonkey[/QUOTE]

Springs will contribute I'm just throwing a lineup out there...I like Wilhites' younger legs and speed. There will be lots of rotating going on with Brace,Write, Green up front Woods, Guyton, Banta-Cain in the middle and Chung,and others in the secondary.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Chargers GM- AJ smith
    coach- ???????
    QB-???????
    RB- ???????
    rest of the team-????????????????????????????????????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats get Burgess... : I think Springs will play CB on day one, at a 50/50 chance. As the season wears on we will see more of the young CBs and more of Chung. I wouldn't rule out Chung getting a day one start either. I know some people think that is nuts, but last year I thought Mayo would start day one, and was right, based purely on the player's work ethic. And Chung's got that. The best part is that the sub packages are awesome. Having Brace as a backup will be huge. This defense looks better already.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Z, I remember you stating that Mayo would start, and I hope you are right about Chung. The kid looks like and worker.

Enjoy any good wine/food lately?

Sections
Shortcuts