Pats get Talib compensation too right?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pats get Talib compensation too right?

3rd rounder? Because Revis was released, they don't cancel out, if I'm correct 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

Re: Pats get Talib compensation too right?

im not sure how that works, i dont believe they got anything for welker.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

we should get a 3rd for welker. 3rd for hernandez.  3rd for talib.  but well it's the patriots.  maybe if we were the jets and lost Santonio HOlmes we'd get somthing.  Ignorant how the nfl hates the pats and no one sees it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

No...... where did you hear that from? You don't get picks from signing FA's you only get comp picks for losing them or picks via trade. Revis was a FA so it counts as a FA signing doesn't matter if he's released. But, you'll find out next year

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we should get a 3rd for welker. 3rd for hernandez.  3rd for talib.  but well it's the patriots.  maybe if we were the jets and lost Santonio HOlmes we'd get somthing.  Ignorant how the nfl hates the pats and no one sees it

[/QUOTE]

Amendola cancels out Welker so no pick

Hernandez was released so no pick

Revis will cancel out Talib so no pick

It's not the NFL hating us that's how comp picks work

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

No...... where did you hear that from? You don't get picks from signing FA's you only get comp picks for losing them or picks via trade

[/QUOTE]

They lost Talib to FA. As long as they don't sign a FA to a big contract, I'm pretty sure they get the compensation for Talib. the Revis signing would have canceled this out if not for the fact that Revis was released

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kyle-Cleric. Show Kyle-Cleric's posts

Revis doesn't cancel Talib. Revis was released by Buccs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

No.  The Patriots may get a pick for Talib, IF they have a net loss of free agents (they sign less than they lose).  That pick would be in 2015 and would likely be a 3rd or 4th rounder.

The Patriots will only add a pick THIS year for Welker if they had a net loss of free agents in 2013.  The Welker pick (if they receive one) will likely be a 4th or 5th rounder as he didn't sign a large contract.

The Pats will, however, receive a (likely) 3rd Rounder in 2016 for Revis, if they have a net loss in free agents in 2015.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No.  The Patriots may get a pick for Talib, IF they have a net loss of free agents (they sign less than they lose).  That pick would be in 2015 and would likely be a 3rd or 4th rounder.

The Patriots will only add a pick THIS year for Welker if they had a net loss of free agents in 2013.  The Welker pick (if they receive one) will likely be a 4th or 5th rounder as he didn't sign a large contract.

The Pats will, however, receive a (likely) 3rd Rounder in 2016 for Revis, if they have a net loss in free agents in 2015.

[/QUOTE]

That is correct.

i think this will play a huge factor in BBs remaining FA signings. Do far, I have Spikes, Fletcher and Talib as the definite defections. Pats can still afford Woodyard and not worry about losing the comp pick. after that, i would guess release targets will be there go too

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It doesn't matter if Revis was released. That makes him a FA regardless of how he got there so it's still a FA signing by the Pats so he cancels out Talib

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html

Pats are not predicted to get a pick for Welker.  They may receive a pick for Patrick Chung. The above mentioned article thinks that it will be a 6th rounder. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if Revis was released. That makes him a FA regardless of how he got there so it's still a FA signing by the Pats so he cancels out Talib

[/QUOTE]

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/3/12/5498646/nfl-free-agency-49ers-gains-losses-nfl-draft-compensation-picks

ill find a more reputable source. But I've read elsewhere that release players don't figure into the calculation.

otherwise teams would greatly benefit from purging their teams

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Based on the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement:

A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula that was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

http://football.about.com/library/weekly/bl_draftcomp.htm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If that is true, that's more or less a heist in terms of playing the market and maximizing the need and ROI.

[/QUOTE]

What almost everyone here doesn't see is that these guys are not simply players...BB and the Pats MGT looks at these guys in economics terms...they are assets with attached costs...they are valued in a $$$ sense, not just in a playing sense...to BB they are one and the same...to understand what they do you must realize that...once the "asset" doesn't return value versus the cost, it's time to move on...just like any business...it's coldblooded, but it maintain s "value" in the enterprise

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/3/12/5498646/nfl-free-agency-49ers-gains-losses-nfl-draft-compensation-picks

ill find a more reputable source. But I've read elsewhere that release players don't figure into the calculation.

otherwise teams would greatly benefit from purging their teams

[/QUOTE]

The link you posted says if a player qualifies to be a compensation it doesn't say what players count against it. The Bucs can't get a comp pick because they released him however, it does count against the Pats because they aquired him through FA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's not just net it's quality of player left first bring in. In otherwords, if the Pats bring in a scrub it wouldn't cancel out Talib provided they lost more than they gained, however because of the quality of the signing in Revis that would chance it out but they could still get picks from other players lost if tey end up losing more than they gain

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Simple explaination, it's a bit more complicated but basically. Say there are 4 grades of FA and a team loses 1 from each grade. However they sign a grade 1, 2, and 4 doesn't matter if those players are cut or on FA they were signed regardless. They lost more than they gained so they get a comp pick. However the 1's cancel out and the 2's cancel out and the 4's cancel out. Since The grade 3 didn't cancel out they get compensated for that grade.

A bit more complicated same scenerio but they sign a 1 and two 4's. The 1's cancel and the two 4's get counted as a 3 and 4 so they get comp'd for the grade 2 they lost 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

Simple explaination, it's a bit more complicated but basically. Say there are 4 grades of FA and a team loses 1 from each grade. However they sign a grade 1, 2, and 4 doesn't matter if those players are cut or on FA they were signed regardless. They lost more than they gained so they get a comp pick. However the 1's cancel out and the 2's cancel out and the 4's cancel out. Since The grade 3 didn't cancel out they get compensated for that grade.

A bit more complicated same scenerio but they sign a 1 and two 4's. The 1's cancel and the two 4's get counted as a 3 and 4 so they get comp'd for the grade 2 they lost 

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure how the players reached FA does matter. If you can point out a pick awarded based off a player that was released than I will admit that I'm wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The Pats will get one 6th rounder this year for Chung. DA cancels out WW.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure how the players reached FA does matter. If you can point out a pick awarded based off a player that was released than I will admit that I'm wrong.

[/QUOTE]

I can't because the team that released him doesn't get a pick that doesn't prove that the team that signs him it doesn't count as a FA signing. Once a player is release he's considered a FA and all FA pick ups count against comp picks for the signing team. So, Revis would count against Talib.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

http://es.pn/1oUoN21

Here is a link to Reiss' evaluation of fits for the Pats. He goes over the comp pick impacts and goes over how released players aren't counted. see red Bryant.

i believe michael smith of espn has a tweet someoje in his twitter that goes over this as well.

Yes, they're still considered UFA's. but the formula does differentiate the difference between teams who lost players because they're contract expired from players who were just terminated.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

http://es.pn/1oUoN21

Here is a link to Reiss' evaluation of fits for the Pats. He goes over the comp pick impacts and goes over how released players aren't counted. see red Bryant.

i believe michael smith of espn has a tweet someoje in his twitter that goes over this as well.

Yes, they're still considered UFA's. but the formula does differentiate the difference between teams who lost players because they're contract expired from players who were just terminated.

[/QUOTE]

You could be right. I could be thinking old CBA, but I just remember us not getting a comp pick because we picked up a player who was released. If so then good We could get a comp pick but we still need to lose more than we gain in the end which is a fair chance of happening

Sections
Shortcuts