Pats Going Back to 2 TE Power Formations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Pats Going Back to 2 TE Power Formations?

With Crumpler, Gronkowski, and Hernandez.....gotta wonder (hope) that BB goes back to using TEs for things other than blocking.....

It may help running game and passing game in certain situations.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Pats Going Back to 2 TE Power Formations?

I was hoping so, although I wonder who the workhorse running back(s) would be?

I especially like Hernandez not because he's especially good at one specific thing, but because he's such a 'tweener that it's going to be tough for teams to find a slot corner or a safety who's big enough or a linebacker who's fast enough to cover him.

I wonder if Gronkowski is also a good enough athlete and route runner to split out wide.  I think having Hernandez and Gronkowski in the same set would be pretty versatile if they can both play in space AND make undersized defenders pay in the running game.  This would be the more realistic culmination of my old fantasy of having Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, and Vernon Davis in a 3 TE super offense where teams wouldn't know how to match up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well lets break this down

Crumpler - an extra OL that might catch a couple passes every so often. IMO used in 2 TE set, goal line packages, 4 WR spread formations as an extra blocker, and 3 TE short yard set

Gron - The #1 TE used in almost every package can be used both to block and release to catch a pass.

Hernadez - Not a blocking TE imo will be used as a H-Back in short yards, as a flat TE in 3 TE sets, and can be sent out in 5 WR spread formations, might see some work in 2 TE sets but feel they will keep Crumpler as an extra blocker and release Gron in those sets.

So they might have 3 TE's but in reality they have 1 TE, 1 OL/TE hybrid, and 1 TE/HB/WR hybrid which leads me to what BB always says that football is a situational game and the team with the most pieces to fill those situations will win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

I really hope you guys are right the oline needs all the help it can get.
    My hope is that Crumpler comes to camp in shape, he was 30 lbs overweight last year. If can still block in the short yardage package that will be great. Gronk's back worries me the NFL is a tough place to be with back problems. AH is coming here with a drug issue that is hopefully is nothing more than a minor hiccup and doesn't influence his role as a pass catching TE.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Actually, Gronk has a little bit of explosion so he can get open outside, and he's taller, can leap higher and has longer arms than any linebacker. 

No, Gronk will never split outside.  He needs to be a credible threat to pave-block for a running back.  From that point he goes five steps downfield, cuts left or right to lose someone, and catches the football.  Not much YAC, but sometimes he does get to plow the free safety flat which is sometimes underrated.

Gronk won't be in when they go five wide, except at the goal line.

"Gronk" is the name of a dinosaur in the comic strip B.C.  Wikipedia lists six other possibilities.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Going Back to 2 TE Power Formations?:
    I really hope you guys are right the oline needs all the help it can get. My hope is that Crumpler comes to camp in shape, he was 30 lbs overweight last year. If can still block in the short yardage package that will be great. Gronk's back worries me the NFL is a tough place to be with back problems. AH is coming here with a drug issue that is hopefully is nothing more than a minor hiccup and doesn't influence his role as a pass catching TE.
    Posted by HRK103

Maybe the other POT heads (Moss and Faulk) on the team can talk to him and set him straight....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Going Back to 2 TE Power Formations? : Maybe the other POT heads (Moss and Faulk) on the team can talk to him and set him straight....
    Posted by m1021us

If these guys are seen always munching out on chips and junk we'll know they've been up to no good lol.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Going Back to 2 TE Power Formations? : If these guys are seen always munching out on chips and junk we'll know they've been up to no good lol.
    Posted by HRK103

Well, if everyone on the team starts getting overweight....we can blame it on the rookies.....lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I was hoping so, although I wonder who the workhorse running back(s) would be? I especially like Hernandez not because he's especially good at one specific thing, but because he's such a 'tweener that it's going to be tough for teams to find a slot corner or a safety who's big enough or a linebacker who's fast enough to cover him. I wonder if Gronkowski is also a good enough athlete and route runner to split out wide.  I think having Hernandez and Gronkowski in the same set would be pretty versatile if they can both play in space AND make undersized defenders pay in the running game.  This would be the more realistic culmination of my old fantasy of having Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, and Vernon Davis in a 3 TE super offense where teams wouldn't know how to match up.
    Posted by NickC1188

That's a great question. I suppose if the holes are big enough - even I could gain 3 yards...lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

I can't wait for this formation to pop up time and time again in the Red Zone!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

This is innovation? It will be a battle with the Bills for third place in the division next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Well lets break this down Crumpler - an extra OL that might catch a couple passes every so often. IMO used in 2 TE set, goal line packages, 4 WR spread formations as an extra blocker, and 3 TE short yard set Gron - The #1 TE used in almost every package can be used both to block and release to catch a pass. Hernadez - Not a blocking TE imo will be used as a H-Back in short yards, as a flat TE in 3 TE sets, and can be sent out in 5 WR spread formations, might see some work in 2 TE sets but feel they will keep Crumpler as an extra blocker and release Gron in those sets. So they might have 3 TE's but in reality they have 1 TE, 1 OL/TE hybrid, and 1 TE/HB/WR hybrid which leads me to what BB always says that football is a situational game and the team with the most pieces to fill those situations will win.
    Posted by PatsEng

That's how i see it.

Crumpler primarily a blocker who catches like 20-25 passes

Gronkowski used in same blocking sets as Crump but more often, also a great blocker, catches like 35-45 passes

Hernandez is more of a big receiever, known to catch everything, not a blocker at all, it will be interesting to see how he is used... could be a bit player catching 15-20 balls or explode and catch 50+

Sections
Shortcuts