PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS

It's looking like the AFC East (and Home Field Advantage )may end up boiling down to the NFL 's TIEBREAKER SYSTEM .

1) Head-to-Head
    2) Divisional Wins
    3) Common Games *
    4) Conference Wins *
    5) STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE

( Note : I original incorrectly reversed No. 3 and No.4 - I stand corrected )

The Pats would of course have to beat the Jets in a couple weeks in order to even up the Head-to-head record and trigger the rest of the criteria. 

Tiebreaker #5 : STRENGTH OF VICTORY
    ( The total winning percentage of all the opponents a team has beaten )

It's here that the Pats will likely have a big advantage .
     Here's why :
     The Pats and Jets each had two opponents that the other did not play :
    Pats = Colts / Chargers 
    Jets = Texans / Broncos
      The win talley of the teams the Pats have beaten - Colts , Chargers , Ravens = 18 wins while the seperate teams the Jets have notched W's against - Texans , Broncos , Browns = 10 wins.
     ( Considering the talent and direction the above respective franchises are heading  , it's more than likely that the win disparity will only widen by week 17 )

Note - I've included the Ravens in the tally (Pats beat them while the Jets lost  ) and the Browns ( Jets won but Pats lost )

HERES THE REMAINING GAMES :

PATRIOTS Schedule :
    Lions      Away
    JETS      Home
    Bears     Away
    Packers  Home
    Bills        Away
    Dolphins  Home

JETS Schedule :
    Bengals   Home
    PATS      Away
    Dolphins  Home
    Steelers  Away
    Bears     Away
    Bills        Home

The Pats have already beaten the Bengals / Dolphins / Steelers / Bills ...so the Jets can't make up any S.O.V . ground there .
     That leaves just the Bears to help NY pick up the slack ( and should the Pats lose on Turkeyday ; the Lions also ~ whom the Jets have already beaten . )

So as it looks now ,  the Strength of Victory should go to the Pats .

Tiebreaker #3 : 
    Common Games.
     Currently it's dead even due to Ravens / Browns matches but I believe the Pats have an advantage in this category too.
      The Jets would inch ahead with a Lions win over the Pats on Thurs. ( NY having already beaten them ) just as a Jets loss on Sunday to the Bengals would propel us ( Pats opened with a win against Cincy )

Neither outcome seems likely.

So the key remaining Common Games will be the Jets at Steelers ( Pats beat them ) and the Pats vs the Packers ( GB beat the Jets ) . If either of these outcomes should fall in NE's favor it could be devastating for the Jets C.G. Tiebreaker chances .

Also - Both teams have yet to play the Bears.

Of course the Pats could make this all moot by simply winning out .

GO PATS !!!

CapnFox

Heres a link to the NFL Tiebreaker Rules

www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures">

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jumpshotking13. Show jumpshotking13's posts

Re: PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS

let's worry about the tiebreakers until after the Jets game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

IF we beat the Jets we won't need to worry about the tie breaker. All we'll have to do is win out. 

The Packers stand the best chance of taking us down, but if the Pats beat them they are winning the SB. They'll be at home throughout the playoffs (The Pats don't loose at home) and they would've already proven to themselves that they can beat the team they will likely be facing off against in the big dance (Greenbay has future QB 12, they are going to the SB). 

It would be an amazing feat if the Pats actually win the SB. They would've won the SB using a team Belichick pieced together using spit and duct tape. Bodden, Warren, a sexy pass-rusher and we're back in business, BABY! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

My head is spinning with all the variables. Play each week and see how it shakes out. As for 49's comment that the Patriots don't lose at home...they did last year to the birds. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

Hey Capnfoxboro, Good info! Thanks for taking the time to break it all down. You do a better job explaining than the newspapers do!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

With six games left in the season, the focus is on beating the team in front of you and letting the rest of the detritus sort itself out. We've seen in the past few weeks that a combination of timely excellence and blind good fortune is preventing lesser teams from doing the Pats' job for them. Take care of business on Thursday, then just go beat Green New Jersey and they won't have to worry about any convoluted tie-breaker system.

It's looking more and more like a strong second-place finisher in the east (whomever that may be) is going to get hosed in the playoffs, probably having to travel to a potential 9-7 or 8-8 San Dago or Indy. That is not an attractive propostion for a wild-card team that could realistically be 13-3 or 12-4.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS:
    Repeat after me, "the next game on the schedule is the Detroit Lions"
    Posted by bobbysu

Valid point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

"our focus is on the Lions"

- BB

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

With six games left in the season, the focus is on beating the team in front of you and letting the rest of the detritus sort itself out. We've seen in the past few weeks that a combination of timely excellence and blind good fortune is preventing lesser teams from doing the Pats' job for them. Take care of business on Thursday, then just go beat Green New Jersey and they won't have to worry about any convoluted tie-breaker system. It's looking more and more like a strong second-place finisher in the east (whomever that may be) is going to get hosed in the playoffs, probably having to travel to a potential 9-7 or 8-8 San Dago or Indy. That is not an attractive propostion for a wild-card team that could realistically be 13-3 or 12-4.
    Posted by p-mike

P-Mike next time dont spend so long in a thesaurus trying to find a big college word like "detritus" when a smaller more commonly used word like "junk" will suffice. You dont have to try and impress anybody here, most folks already know your a moron!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVirginia. Show PatsFanVirginia's posts

"our focus is on the Lions"  - BB
    Posted by BBReigns

My biggest concern is how our DB's match up against their WRs!!!

Holmes wasn't in the first game, but Braylon has proven to be reliable (who would have thunk it), and Keller always finds a way to kill us. LT looks good out of the backfield ... before anyone says the December 6 game is a forgone conclusion against the Jets, remember the Pats have been giving up a whole lot of points in the second half, and this game can get ugly quick ala September, as it did in that second half ... Brady has disappeared a bit in the second half, as demonstrated in the Colts game ... The Jets may appear lucky, but they have the PLAYMAKERS to get them into those lucky situations, so this makes them both good and lucky.

Also, their strength is still against the run, so Woodhead, and the Law Firm may be limited and I don't see Branch having an impact day, or Welker if the Jets are stacking the line and playing Zone Blitz which they did in September. The Jets were built to beat us and match up against us, which the Steelers couldn't do because they are built to stop the run in the AFC North, and we took advantage of that.

I can see a lot of penalties against our DB's in this game as in the first game, because of their WR's getting good position on them (i.e. Allen (former Dolphin) yesterday on that bomb from Sanchez to Edwards. Edwards beat him a few times in that game against Miami) Also, with the threat of Keller, which'll take up one LB or Safety, and the threat of LT in the backfield taking up another LB, this opens the slant for Holmes over the middle. This can prove to be dangerous for us.

We can hope our TE's provide some spark, even though they were non-factors in the first game, much has changed.

Believe it or not, Sanchez is getting better as he learns to use his weapons, (who really scores in 49 seconds even though it was the Texans and a 9% chance of doing it, he did it) and with an aging Brady on the Horizon, it may be the changing of the guard if BB continues to collect draft picks like an old lady collects cats, and does not draft a good quarterback in the next five years. The Jets always come to play against the Pats, especially with history on the line, Brady's 26 straight home victories, and first place possibly on the line. Sanchez is now a mobile QB who extends plays, and something again a LB will have to monitor especially with LT in the backfield.

Jets have won the last three of four against the Pats, and they have kind of figured out a little of what BB does.

Because football is a game of matchups, I believe the Jets win, because we don't match up well with them .... however ... that doesn't mean we can't win the division or this game, but the Jets triumph on December 6th.

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Yes Virginia ...there isn't a Santa Claus .

(I don't entirely agree with your assesment , but I applaud your ability to seperate your fan loyalty with a sober analysis of the Jets vs Pats )

As for you Die-Hard Kool-Aid drinkers pointing out the obvious :

Yah , yah I get it : One game at a time and all that ...

Just to clarify :

The reason for me starting this thread was :

A) To share with my fellow NFL junkies / Pats fans the ramifications of potential future game outcomes as they pertain to the Patriots & NFL Playoff Seeding Rules

B) To distract myself from any further MNF watching  ~ Broncos getting pasted last night by the Bolts was tough to stomach 
    ( Is there anyone out there that doesn't believe the Chargers will be a very scary playoff partner ? )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS:
      .... Where the Pats would win going away . Of course the Pats could make this all moot by simply winning out . GO PATS !!! CapnFox   Heres a link to the NFL Tiebreaker Rules www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures " />
    Posted by CapFoxboro

Cap, I hate to pour water on your parade because I can see you put a lot of thought and time into this, but I did a similar post about a week ago and your facts are wrong.  Your tie breaking procedures apply to teams in different divisions for play-off seeding.  The tie breaker used to decide a division is as follows.  This is from NFL.com and here's also the link:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss
    The first 2 tie breakers are as you say, head-to-head, then divisional record.  As you say, we must beat the Jets to even the first then we must finish with the same or better divisional record.  Let's discuss Division games first.  The Jets host MIA in December and BUF in January, the last regular season game.  We travel to BUF then finish at home against MIA the final game of the regular season.  So, slight edge to NYJ as wining in BUF in late December is always tough.

Assuming we beat the Jets and we both win out in our division it goes to records against common opponents.  Here you incorrectly state this is currently tied.  It isn't.  We currently hold the edge 6-1, to 5-2 for the Jets.  Against common teams we have wins over; CIN, BUF, MIA, BAL, MIN, PIT and our loss came against CLE.  The Jets have wins over; MIA, BUF, MIN, DET and CLE but have lost to; BAL and GB.  The remaining common games for each team are:

NE:  @DET, @CHI, GB, @BUF, MIA
    NYJ: CIN, MIA, @PIT, @CHI, BUF 

Obviously, we have to beat the Jets in two weeks.  If we lose to them at home we are most likely a wild card team heading on the road and if the season ended today we'd be at KC.  If we beat the Jets, we get a huge leg up.  We'd be up a game and still hold the 3rd tie breaker.  The Jets at PIT and at CHI are huge.  If they drop one of them we could lose to either CHI or GB and still be up a game with the third tie breaker.  Obviously, neither team can afford another divisional loss unless both teams lose one.  If we beat the Jets but lose to either MIA or BUF, it could be curtains for us.

The winner of the AFC East right now would get a bye and home field throughout the play-offs.  The second place team is a wild card starting and likely staying on the road throughout the play-offs.  I hope this helps. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Let me paint another scenario for you.  If the teams end up 12-4 as follows both teams would be tied against each other, tied with divisional records at 5-1 and tied at 9-3 in common games.  Then it goes to Conference records.  We'd have the edge 10-2 vs. 9-3.  If we win on Thurs against a Stafford-less team all we have to do is beat the Jets and win out in the division.  The Jets should lose at PIT meaning we can lose our other two games and still get the division.

NY JETSResult/Pred
    Monday, 09/13/10BaltimoreL
    Sunday, 09/19/10New EnglandW
    Sunday, 09/26/10@ MiamiW
    Sunday, 10/03/10@ BuffaloW
    Monday, 10/11/10MinnesotaW
    Sunday, 10/17/10@ DenverW
    BYEBYE 
    Sunday, 10/31/10Green BayL
    Sunday, 11/07/10@ DetroitW
    Sunday, 11/14/10@ ClevelandW
    Sunday, 11/21/10HoustonW
    Thursday, 11/25/10CincinnatiW
    Monday, 12/06/10@ New EnglandL
    Sunday, 12/12/10MiamiW
    Sunday, 12/19/10@ PittsburghL
    Sunday, 12/26/10@ ChicagoW
    Sunday, 01/02/11BuffaloW
    12-4
    NE PATRIOTSResult/Pred
    Sun 9/12/2010vs Bengals W
    Sun 9/19/2010@ JetsL
    Sun 9/26/2010vs Bills W
    Mon 10/4/2010@ DolphinsW
    Sun 10/10/2010 Bye  
    Sun 10/17/2010vs RavensW
    Sun 10/24/2010@ ChargersW
    Sun 10/31/2010 vs VikingsW
    Sun 11/7/2010@ Browns L
    Sun 11/14/2010@ SteelersW
    Sun 11/21/2010vs ColtsW
    Thu 11/25/2010@ LionsW
    Mon 12/6/2010vs JetsW
    Sun 12/12/2010@ BearsL
    Sun 12/19/2010vs PackersL
    Sun 12/26/2010@ Bills W
    Sun 1/2/2011vs DolphinsW
    12-4

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Repeat after me, "the next game on the schedule is the Detroit Lions"
    Posted by bobbysu

It may be the DETROIT LIONS, perrenial losers and doormats of the NFC, but it games like this that teams like the Pats might take lightly on the schedule, especially with only four days to prepare. It is the NFL where on any given day, anything can happen. It should be a Pats blow out, which means lots of offense to watch on Turkey Day. 

Hetchinspete.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS : My biggest concern is how our DB's match up against their WRs!!! Holmes wasn't in the first game, but Braylon has proven to be reliable (who would have thunk it), and Keller always finds a way to kill us. LT looks good out of the backfield ... before anyone says the December 6 game is a forgone conclusion against the Jets, remember the Pats have been giving up a whole lot of points in the second half, and this game can get ugly quick ala September, as it did in that second half ... Brady has disappeared a bit in the second half, as demonstrated in the Colts game ... The Jets may appear lucky, but they have the PLAYMAKERS to get them into those lucky situations, so this makes them both good and lucky. Also, their strength is still against the run, so Woodhead, and the Law Firm may be limited and I don't see Branch having an impact day, or Welker if the Jets are stacking the line and playing Zone Blitz which they did in September. The Jets were built to beat us and match up against us, which the Steelers couldn't do because they are built to stop the run in the AFC North, and we took advantage of that. I can see a lot of penalties against our DB's in this game as in the first game, because of their WR's getting good position on them (i.e. Allen (former Dolphin) yesterday on that bomb from Sanchez to Edwards. Edwards beat him a few times in that game against Miami) Also, with the threat of Keller, which'll take up one LB or Safety, and the threat of LT in the backfield taking up another LB, this opens the slant for Holmes over the middle. This can prove to be dangerous for us. We can hope our TE's provide some spark, even though they were non-factors in the first game, much has changed. Believe it or not, Sanchez is getting better as he learns to use his weapons, (who really scores in 49 seconds even though it was the Texans and a 9% chance of doing it, he did it) and with an aging Brady on the Horizon, it may be the changing of the guard if BB continues to collect draft picks like an old lady collects cats, and does not draft a good quarterback in the next five years. The Jets always come to play against the Pats, especially with history on the line, Brady's 26 straight home victories, and first place possibly on the line. Sanchez is now a mobile QB who extends plays, and something again a LB will have to monitor especially with LT in the backfield. Jets have won the last three of four against the Pats, and they have kind of figured out a little of what BB does. Because football is a game of matchups, I believe the Jets win, because we don't match up well with them .... however ... that doesn't mean we can't win the division or this game, but the Jets triumph on December 6th. GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by PatsFanVirginia

Disagree on Sanchez.  He threw an INT on Sunday to lose the game if Houston was not so mentally disabled in the coaching staff area.

Keep in mind, the Texans lost in Jax on a Hail Mary because the DB was dumb. Batting the ball backwards is not what you want to do there.  No one was near him, so he should have caugh the ball with ease, not given it life by knocking it backwards.

Houston has the worst pass D in the NFL and is poorly coached.

If they had simply forced Sanchez's looks to the middle of the field, like any normal team would do in that position, without timeouts, the game is over.

When the weather gets sketchier, expect Sanchez to also get sketchier.

They have dodged bullets left and right the last month.   Some say "they find ways to win". No, they are handed games on a platter by poorly coached teams.

Good coaching will expose Sanchez.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Let's assume we win the division and the Jets get 1 of the wild cards.  We are sitting REALLY PRETTY against the other AFC teams to get top seeding.  Only the Jets and us are at 8-2. 

The 7-3 teams are:  BAL, PIT -We beat them both so we own the first tie-breaker.  Nothing else matters if we end up tied with either team.  BAL has left TB, PIT, @HOU, NO, @CLE, CIN.  PIT has left @BUF, @BAL, CIN, NYJ, CAR, @CLE.  Since the teams play each other one of them can't do better than 12-4.  One of these teams would have to win out while we drop 2 of our final 6 to overcome us.

The 6-4 teams are:  IND, JAC, KC - We own the tie breaker with the Colts based on beating them last week.  We don't face JAC or KC so it goes to Conference Records.  We are 7-2 in the Conference.  JAC is 5-3 and KC is 4-4.  So basically, we are 3 up on these teams so there is little point in discussing further scenarios here.  Besides, IND plays JAC so one of these teams is out.  Basically we'd have to go 3-3 while one of these teams wins out.

The 5-5 teams are:  MIA, OAK, SD, TEN - Assuming we beat MIA again, that seals their fate.  We already beat SD so they are out.  OAK is 3-3 and TEN is 2-4 in the conference.  TEN has to play IND twice and OAK plays IND once.  We'd have to go 2-4 while one of these teams wins out to over take us.  We can pretty much rule these teams out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVirginia. Show PatsFanVirginia's posts

@Faucetman

Sanchez is a great road QB, he's 12-4. I don't feel good about our DB's, and it will not be that cold by December 6, and it should be manageable.

I don't care about the lucky factor, blah, blah, blah, these DB's cannot cover the Jets WR's. Another thing, the Pats pass rush has been hit and miss, and the Jets are pretty solid on the O line. I think our loyalty, and spoilness is clouting our judgment and we are completely discounting the Jets. The Steelers aren't that good, take away Bathroom Ben's WR options, his line is weak, and our pass success, and we win.

We can not overlook this team. Something else about this Lions team, they have a great pass rush ... sooo... let's deal with the issue at hand.

Go PATS!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS : Disagree on Sanchez.  He threw an INT on Sunday to lose the game if Houston was not so mentally disabled in the coaching staff area. Keep in mind, the Texans lost in Jax on a Hail Mary because the DB was dumb. Batting the ball backwards is not what you want to do there.  No one was near him, so he should have caugh the ball with ease, not given it life by knocking it backwards. Houston has the worst pass D in the NFL and is poorly coached. If they had simply forced Sanchez's looks to the middle of the field, like any normal team would do in that position, without timeouts, the game is over. When the weather gets sketchier, expect Sanchez to also get sketchier. They have dodged bullets left and right the last month.   Some say "they find ways to win". No, they are handed games on a platter by poorly coached teams. Good coaching will expose Sanchez.
    Posted by BBReigns
    ..."lol.

The Chargers.  Same thing every year.  If I was a Chargers fan, I'd be beyond annoyed at this point.

Mouthy QB, dumb coach, immature players
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this comment say about the Patriots game in SD? I guess NE didn't earn the win. Week after week, you spout "trouble for Sanchez" "weather outlook in Cleveland looks bad for Sanchez" "good coaching will expose Sanchez" blah blah blah. While not putting up great numbers, he uses what he has and gets the win. What happened in week 2? You certainly can't say BB is  not a good coach, so what happened? I thought good coaching will expose him. You will never EVER give credit to Sanchez for anything. It's always something else. Of course if it were TB getting the same kind of results, it would be "maturity, poise, skill" but since it's NOT him, well you get the picture

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVirginia. Show PatsFanVirginia's posts

Sanchez has beat BB in two out of three games, so much for good coaching exposing him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

lol

In week 2, without Welker, no 3rd WR in NY, in 2009, I would hardly call that Sanchez "beating BB".

The Jets D stopped NE's offense last year.

Please stop.

He did well in Week 2 this year. Yes.

Technically you are correct, bu you are sounding like one of these poseur Pats fans who troll with that.

"PatsFanVirginia" with 6 posts.   Hmmmmmm.   You sure you aren't someone we already know here?

I would suggest being less forceful with the name you choose when you go with that troll approach.

"PatsFanVirginia" comes off a little too much like what we see here regularly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS : ..." lol. The Chargers.  Same thing every year.  If I was a Chargers fan, I'd be beyond annoyed at this point. Mouthy QB, dumb coach, immature players ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What does this comment say about the Patriots game in SD? I guess NE didn't earn the win. Week after week, you spout "trouble for Sanchez" "weather outlook in Cleveland looks bad for Sanchez" "good coaching will expose Sanchez" blah blah blah. While not putting up great numbers, he uses what he has and gets the win. What happened in week 2? You certainly can't say BB is  not a good coach, so what happened? I thought good coaching will expose him. You will never EVER give credit to Sanchez for anything. It's always something else. Of course if it were TB getting the same kind of results, it would be "maturity, poise, skill" but since it's NOT him, well you get the picture
    Posted by RipFace

They earned the win, but definitley didn't play as well as they need to on the road.

Are you telling me you me Norv Turner is a good coach?

Are you telling us Foley, Merriroid, Castilloroid, LT, Phillip Rivers, didn't come off cocky and arrogant in recent years, only to fold in the playoffs?

They also are the masters of the excuses when they lose.  The other team, like the Pats, Colts, or whomever they would lose to, is not the better team, it's always "we sent 5 people to the Pro Bowl, so we are better".

Same routine every year.  Same old crap.  I'd be annoyed at the lack of maturity my team showed.   That's the truth.

I see it as a pattern and a problem, you see it as me calling it "an excuse"? You are a strange individual.

Is Wade Phillips a good coach? What about Brad Childress?

They are the classic case of a team that has poor leadership from Rivers and the coaching staff. Norv Turner is a bozo.

Very much enamored with their stats, themselves and their record in the a weak AFC West.

They are the Dallas Cowboys of the AFC.  Have been for YEARS.

How can you not see this?   You might be the only NFL fan who thinks this over-confident Chargers regime has been a success in the post season as much as they have in the regular season.

Even their slow starts every year are a sign of a bad attitude.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: PATS HOLD IMPORTANT TIEBREAKER OVER JETS : They earned the win, but definitley didn't play as well as they need to on the road. Are you telling me you me Norv Turner is a good coach? Are you telling us Foley, Merriroid, Castilloroid, LT, Phillip Rivers, didn't come off cocky and arrogant in recent years, only to fold in the playoffs? They also are the masters of the excuses when they lose.  The other team, like the Pats, Colts, or whomever they would lose to, is not the better team, it's always "we sent 5 people to the Pro Bowl, so we are better". Same routine every year.  Same old crap.  I'd be annoyed at the lack of maturity my team showed.   That's the truth. I see it as a pattern and a problem, you see it as me calling it "an excuse"? You are a strange individual. Is Wade Phillips a good coach? What about Brad Childress? They are the classic case of a team that has poor leadership from Rivers and the coaching staff. Norv Turner is a bozo. Very much enamored with their stats, themselves and their record in the a weak AFC West. They are the Dallas Cowboys of the AFC.  Have been for YEARS. How can you not see this?   You might be the only NFL fan who thinks this over-confident Chargers regime has been a success in the post season as much as they have in the regular season. Even their slow starts every year are a sign of a bad attitude.
    Posted by BBReigns
    ...no Russ, I am not calling Norv Turner a good coach. I am pointing out that because you said he was "dumb" and had "immature players" NE did not earn the win they had, just like the Jets didn't earn (in your mind) the win against Houston since they are coached badly and have players that don't play well. Turner should have been fired but for some reason, he hasn't. Phillips and Childress lost control of their teams. Jeff Fisher is losing control on his since Vince Young was endorsed by the owner who obviously is not terribly interested in getting his coach's opinion before doing a press conference.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

@Faucetman Sanchez is a great road QB, he's 12-4. I don't feel good about our DB's, and it will not be that cold by December 6, and it should be manageable. I don't care about the lucky factor, blah, blah, blah, these DB's cannot cover the Jets WR's. Another thing, the Pats pass rush has been hit and miss, and the Jets are pretty solid on the O line. I think our loyalty, and spoilness is clouting our judgment and we are completely discounting the Jets. The Steelers aren't that good, take away Bathroom Ben's WR options, his line is weak, and our pass success, and we win. We can not overlook this team. Something else about this Lions team, they have a great pass rush ... sooo... let's deal with the issue at hand. Go PATS!!!!!
    Posted by PatsFanVirginia

I am not looking past the Jets at all.  I said it repeatedly, we HAVE TO BEAT THEM, to control our fate.  If we beat the Jets, we still have to beat MIA and BUF otherwise if the Jets lose to use and beat MIA and BUF, the Jets are back in the drivers seat.  I agree, one game at a time.  DET is a common opponent and this game is hugely important.  Actually every remaining game is a common opponent except for the Jets game.  If we beat the Jets, MIA and BUF we can afford to drop one game to either DET, GB or CHI and still hold the division even if the Jets win out.

If we lose the Jets game, it will be a disaster.  The Jets would have to go 3-2 and we'd have to win out going 5-0 against the remaining schedule.

There is one thing in our favor.  We are very tough at home having tied for the longest regular season win record at 25 straight.  We haven't lost both games to the Jets since Brady took over at QB; our last two loss season to the Jets coming in 2000.  Sanchez isn't my concern, the weather is.  A windy day favors the Jets and the running game.  The Jets are 4th running the ball to our 16th.  But we have Mankins back. 

Forget the Defense.  BB is playing a prevent defense against most teams allowing the underneath stuff and waiting to jump a route and cause a mistake.  It is the same bend, don't break defense he used to win a couple of SBs.  The Jets have an attacking defense.  They will be pressuring Brady coming with a bunch of different blitz packages.  It will be a dump off passing game featuring Woody, Welker and the TEs and a healthy dose of draws and screens.  It will likely come down to who wins the turn-over and field position game and without Gostkowski, I worry about that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVirginia. Show PatsFanVirginia's posts

@BBReigns

Someone gives an objective, not influenced by the past look at how things are, and what they may appear to be, and I'm a Troll.

Do I need to say the Pats are going to win every game to be respected, no I don't I am a football fan who reads and watches. Would I have been a Troll if I said the Browns were going to beat the Pats?

Come on, these guys want to beat us, and looking at it as it is, we don't match up well. We are a young D, and have not seen these many receivers in one game. Our D gives up a lot of points in the second half, what's wrong with this analysis? It's the truth.

Stop being a blind Pats fan, and look it from a football point of view. Last game we had our offense intact, and we were shut out in the second half, Sanchez threw 3 Tds, that's beating BB. The Jets were built to beat the Pats, and they did.

Sections
Shortcuts