Pats Hosting Jake Locker for 2 Days! Real Interest or Smokescreen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Pats Hosting Jake Locker for 2 Days! Real Interest or Smokescreen?

The Patriots are hosting Jake Locker Tuesday and Wednesday in Foxboro. Smokescreen ala Tim Tebow last year? Or real interest? I may be in the minority but I am thinking the Pats have real interest, and the info BB put out so early about pick 28 being available may in fact be the smokescreen. Hoping to catch Aaron Rodgers in a bottle? Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Pats Hosting Jake Locker for 2 Days! Real Interest or Smokescreen?

This to me is seemingly brady's last contract as a Pat....  I could see them taking locker and grooming him, and trading Hoyer next year, if Locker shows more.  If Pats actually keep all their picks than why not? 

But in reality I doubt it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It has to be a smoke screen. The teams who are most interested in Locker are Minn, Mia, and Tenn. Minn is in love with the guy but at #12 might be a bit of a reach.

Scenario 1 - we know SD needs a DE and is willing to move up to get a guy they want. Minn is a perfect partner for a trade and at #18 they could grab Locker and be happy. However, if NE shows interest Minn might not be willing to take the risk that NE spends high to get him. Having Minn not trade to SD leaves SD their 2nds to move up with to #28 while also causing a DE to drop to #17

Scenario 2 - Minn wants to move back into the 1st to grab Locker. With no 3rd round pick at best a 1st next year and their 2nd this year is needed to get a trade done. For that value they would move up to early to mid 20's. This prompts them to think about taking a DE at #12. Knowing the Pats could take Locker at #17 they decide to grab him at #12 instead again dropping a DE to us.

Scenario 3 - Minn wants to move back into the 1st to grab Locker knowing that the Pats could grab him at 28 but no one wants to trade as this being a weaker draft trading back into the middle of the 2nd might make them lose out on a T, DE, or WR. The Pats tell a sweating Minn over the phone they are taking Locker at 28 unless they blow them away with a better offer then the rumored #51 and #60 from SD. Minn again with no 3rd pick this year is forced to call the Pats bluff or offer their 2nd and a 1st next year if the Pats toss in a 4th or the late 3rd this year.

I chose Minn for the scenarios simply because they have been linked to Locker the most and seeming are in the best position to cost us a DE early or over spend to move back into the 1st. In any case all 3 scenerio's are a better reason for a smoke screen then to draft a project QB in the 1st to sit on the bench for 4 years until he replaces Brady. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This would be the year to get your bases covered. Brady's contract has four seasons left. And he is what 33? This way you can lock whoever you draft in for five and develop them under the best in the biz.

I think Locker is too rich for my taste. NE has bigger needs in the medium term. But draft a QB every season for the next few should be a priority.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Hmmm...poke!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think this is the year to draft a top rated QB out of college with one of those 6 picks and get him groomed to take over in 2015. It doesn't have to Locker, there a couple that are better than him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i dont think its really either necessarily. and i dont think tebow was a smokescreen either. if he had dropped to the late 2nd or 3rd round i think BB would have taken him. and i still think there's a chance that we trade for him if denver takes a qb in this draft. he needs several years to develop but he will have that time here. i think the same can be said of locker. he's probably not ready to play for a year or two minimum, which wouldnt be a problem here. i've heard several experts say that he reminds them of a young steve young, who was able to develop for a few years behind montana. maybe they are looking for history to repeat itself? 
    but i think the bottom line is that the pats are doing their diligence on these players in case they drop to a place where that player is the top talent on the board when they are picking. they did it with dez bryant last year and clearly didnt like what they saw. 
    but picking a qb is often good business, look what cassell did for the team value wise. and hoyer is starting to build value as well. so i think BB will draft a QB, it just depends on value and who is available when he picks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

or, conspiracy theory:
    when the pats show interest in a player, that player's value shoots up. look at marvin austin. nobody was talking about him until he came here for a visit. now everyone loves him and supposedly he's a late first round pick. nobody was talking about corey liuget until his name started being connected to the pats. now most experts are calling him a first rounder. 
    so...maybe they are trying to pull a vernon gholston and build up locker's value which will make our picks more valuable. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

they are probably interested in him and at the same time they know showing interest in him could cause teams to want to trade picks with the pats, belichick is killing two birds with one stone here. looking at the player hands on and causing other teams to think if the interest is genuine. smart move by a smart coach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

While I think BB is doing his homework on Locker, my gut feel leans towards smokescreen in this case, with the idea of driving up his value and their potential trade return.  I think QB could be a target at some point in this draft, I just don't see Locker as the guy.   He looks like a solid kid, good athleticism and character, but the accuracy just isn't there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Smokescreen, Belichick will play these other fools. He is the draft master. He will turn one of those 1st rounders into a #1 next year and a extra 2 or 3 this year. Belichick likes to go into each draft w/two #1's so he has a gambling chip...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Also, I would like at the Pats taking Ricky Stanzi out of Iowa late in the draft. He has the intangibles. Could develop behind Brady for a few years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

He has a hard time completing 50 percent of his passes . . . he certainly is not a Patriot type . . . so this is a smoke screen!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I think BB has too much time on his hands.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Hosting Jake Locker for 2 Days! Real Interest or Smokescreen?:
    [QUOTE]While I think BB is doing his homework on Locker, my gut feel leans towards smokescreen in this case, with the idea of driving up his value and their potential trade return.  I think QB could be a target at some point in this draft, I just don't see Locker as the guy.   He looks like a solid kid, good athleticism and character, but the accuracy just isn't there.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

First, I hope & pray Isurf's contention is true...  Second, mb~ is just dead on here, and he probably saw what I saw outta Locker's Senior Bowl practice performanceS...  Locker...f#cking...s#cks.  So, in the oft chance that Bill Belichick actually liked Tim Tebow lat year, AND Jack Locker THIS year, and really woulda grabbed/grab either of these QBS indeed, IF the draft price just suited his wanting, holy god BB, then it is high-time you spend your time scouting other positions and just freaking stay clear of the QB spot...maybe get the guy who found and was adament on getting Tom Brady back in the day...I know that scout actually died, but raise him from the dead or SOME-thing.  What I saw outta Locker alone, made me realize I wouldn't put the kid on the team as an UDFA, because that might actually take the roster spot of someone who might be good...  Jesus, let's pray Locker doesn't simply hit a grand slam in his interview & time with Belichick, b/c I wouldn't count on this kid's throws hitting North America if he was in the center of the U.S..  Didn't NE draft Bledsoe from Locker's school?  OMG, I'm getting hives, I'm getting hives

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

More than a smokescreen...

What do you think the teams who actually need QBs are thinking now? Here's another team who could swoop in to take Locker out of the blue. With 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, that would be a credible threat. It will be harder for them to stay patient.

Either someone approaches NWE with a trade offer....or with this, BB was able to push the other teams to reach for QBs and thereby increasing the chance that there will be more DEs and OTs available when it's NWE's time to pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Ask yourself where do you see Locker being drafted ? If the answer is anywhere between 17 and 33, then you have your answer. Smokescreen. BB is waiting to fleece some team in need of a QB. Agree on Stanzi in 3rd or 4th.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Hosting Jake Locker for 2 Days! Real Interest or Smokescreen?:
    [QUOTE]Ask yourself where do you see Locker being drafted ? If the answer is anywhere between 17 and 33, then you have your answer. Smokescreen. BB is waiting to fleece some team in need of a QB. Agree on Stanzi in 3rd or 4th.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

+1

...on Stanzi, too.  I like what I've seen from him, and it's an excellent value pick for grooming in that 3rd/4th rd range.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

Or.....

By showing interest in Locker,  perhaps Miami will take Locker at 15 and pass up on Ingram.

There will be a better chance to pick up Ingram with 28 or 33, or they trade down one of those to a late 30 pick + an additional pick on top of that......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

There will be a draft soon that they take a young prospect to groom him to take Bradys spot. I'm not sure this is the one. Too many early picks to fill holes, he wont be around by the time the Pats are ready to take him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Hosting Jake Locker for 2 Days! Real Interest or Smokescreen?: Stansi totally sucks.
    [QUOTE]Also, I would like at the Pats taking Ricky Stanzi out of Iowa late in the draft. He has the intangibles. Could develop behind Brady for a few years.
    Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

MASON FOSTER

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

this draft is too soon to be considering a QB that would replace Brady. i think we're at least two drafts away from that, possibly 4 or 5. Having a good idea of these QBs is important information for BB. If he gets a sense of how good these guys actually are, whether he thinks they'll be successful, when it gets to the draft, he can direct the teams he wants to certain QBs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Total smokescreen and here's why:

I wouldn't be surprised if Stacie James or whoever at Gillette made it widely known to the media that the team was hosting Locker so the info. could get out on ESPN and all the other networks to lead off their shows with.  That's completely out of character for Belichick and the organization.  They prefer keeping information away from the media at all costs, so the only reason they're so willing to share this information is because they know it improves they're leverage on draft day.

As for taking a QB this draft to groom, I'm starting to hear Ricky Stanzi's name mentioned on here which is good.  I'm not going to pat myself on the back for being the first to sing his praises, but I will say I think he's the perfect 'Patriot' type QB to develope.  The Patriots sent a group of coaches to work him out privately at Iowa's Pro Day.  Funny how that didn't get mentioned on ESPN, huh?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Smokescreen.  Not going to waste a first round pick and then sit the kid for 4 years.