Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal

The Patriots have reportedly signed 2nd round pick, CB Darius Butler, to a 4 year deal. Here are the details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/10/details-on-darius-butler-deal/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal

Good idea and nice link. I could see Butler returning kicks (no Hobbs, shaky Slater, protect Welker a little). I also believe, he'll see time in nickel and dime. Like most Pats DBs he'll have his breakout season in year 3, hopefully sooner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I've noticed that BB has a huge pile of guys who can return kicks.  Butler will have to get out there and compete for the job.  Maroney can still return.  Edelman can return.  I've forgotton the whole list, but I remember six guys being tried out in three sets of two returners at minicamp.  Whoever fumbles the ball gets a trip to the bench, or worse.  In case of multiple injuries, BB still has two creditable returners on the field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I would rather see Slater returning kicks as I think tgat is what we drafted him for. Butler needs to try and get soem reps at CB forget returning kicks. And thats all we need is for Butler to blow his knee out returning some kick instead of doing his real job of cover Wrs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal:
         The Patriots have reportedly signed 2nd round pick, CB Darius Butler, to a 4 year deal. Here are the details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/10/details-on-darius-butler-deal/
    Posted by TexasPat3

TEX,
    I think this kid has a shot starting for your Patriots. Before a down is played, I think he'll be the best pick of this years Patriot class. Strictly speculatory of course. The it, I think he has it.   

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Nice link.  4-years is perfect because he'll likely hit his stride by the third year (like JohnHannahrulz said) and the Pats will have him under contract for another season after that.

As far as kick returns go... I fully expect Brandon Tate to get the majority of the action.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal:
    I would rather see Slater returning kicks as I think tgat is what we drafted him for. Butler needs to try and get soem reps at CB forget returning kicks. And thats all we need is for Butler to blow his knee out returning some kick instead of doing his real job of cover Wrs.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Exactly. Slater was drafted to return kicks and help preserve position players to play their positions. The last thing anyone needs is to see a Jason Sehorn-like injury (referring to him returning kicks, not to him beoming p-whipped by Angie Harmon).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal : TEX, I think this kid has a shot starting for your Patriots. Before a down is played, I think he'll be the best pick of this years Patriot class. Strickly speculatory of course. The it , I think he has it.    
    Posted by jbolted

Bolt:

Good to hear from you, my friend.

Yes...it looks like Butler has all the tools. But, who knows. As always, remaining free from injuries is key.

Butler might develop quickly...or at a slower pace...like Asante Samuel did. Who cares...as long as he develops into another Asante.

What do you think about the Chargers selecting Larry English at #16? Is he insurance against Merriman leaving through FA? Had Knowshon Moreno not been taken by Denver at #12, my guess is that the Bolts would have taken him instead.

Whats' the deal with Antonio Cromartie? Why did his play fall off last year?   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Sorry if I inferred that Butler will be our return man, only meant that he should be part of the mix as Tate will start on IR. I have yet to see what Edelman can do and even though he's a receiver the same rule applies for Tate: expect him to be better his 3rd season. The rookie I think could see getting alot of snaps is Chung (captain of his college D, loves the film room, has the physical tools to be very effective.....the type of player BB has less compunction about inserting into the line-up). Still like Brace to spell a tired Fork on occassion. 1st round talent at a second round price....gotta love it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I think Butler and Chung will get some real time this year.  I think Chung will take some time from both Sanders and BM.  I think Butler has a shot at passing both W's as the 3rd CB by the end of the season.
    Brace, loved that pick.  Insurance incase we lose Wilfork and I hope we dont.  And adds to the line if we keep him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I think Butler and Chung will get some real time this year.  I think Chung will take some time from both Sanders and BM.  I think Butler has a shot at passing both W's as the 3rd CB by the end of the season. Brace, loved that pick.  Insurance incase we lose Wilfork and I hope we dont.  And adds to the line if we keep him.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I think Chung is going to have to take time from Meriweather and Sanders whether he earns it or not.  Losing Harrison puts them in a spot where they have 3 Safties, including Chung and utility man Slater.

Obviously I expected Butler to sign.  I wish it had been a longer deal, as opposed to many others, simply because you would rather lock these talented guys up during the prime before handing over a lot of money.  I can't comment on his play until I see him on the field but I think he's looking at a much less forced transition into the starters role than Chung.  There is some serious depth at corner this year but I'm hopeful he will find his way into the mix and make a contribution.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tex!  Good to see ur post.  Long time posting for me personally.  I fell back after they changed the format, but am slowly coming back.  That is good news that he is signed this early, so he can get to work, and his agent is Drew Rosenhaus,, so that crazy, we just need to get in Brace and Chung now.  I am real excited about the Chung kid.  I agree with MVP about Butler sticking to Defense.  The knock I saw on him and that he is not that strong, and never lifted weights in colleg, so I dont think I'd want him returning kicks, lets just get him strong and up to speed on how to play NFL CB....
    Posted by STILLBALLIN

Good to hear from you again, Baller!

Yeah...the Globe-sters finally have the new forum almost on par with the old one...except that you still can't ignore complete threads, and you no longer receive individualized e-mails whenever someone responds to your post. Nonetheless, its' a major improvement to what it was.

Getting back to the Pats, I agree that their youthful secondary is promising. Lots of depth and athleticism in the deep patrol in 2009. But, the keys to the season are whether Brady is fully recovered...whether the OL can adequately protect him...and whether the Pats "D" can muster a pass rush to aid their  secondary (in other words...whether the "D" can get off the field on 3rd down). 

Though things appear to be looking up, the Pats have not won it all since 2004. This year, they need to get it done...no excuses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattadlard. Show mattadlard's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal : I think Chung is going to have to take time from Meriweather and Sanders whether he earns it or not.  Losing Harrison puts them in a spot where they have 3 Safties, including Chung and utility man Slater. Obviously I expected Butler to sign.  I wish it had been a longer deal, as opposed to many others, simply because you would rather lock these talented guys up during the prime before handing over a lot of money.  I can't comment on his play until I see him on the field but I think he's looking at a much less forced transition into the starters role than Chung.  There is some serious depth at corner this year but I'm hopeful he will find his way into the mix and make a contribution.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

Hey Sonny

Just to let you know there is a league rule that means 2nd round picks cannot sign a deal over 4 years! But hopefully we sign him in his 3rd year to an extension!
    I think he'll be the starter with Leigh Bodden by Week 8 and Terrence Wheatley will be #3. I thought this kid was just starting to get good before he broke his wrist!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal :      Bolt:      Good to hear from you, my friend.      Yes...it looks like Butler has all the tools. But, who knows. As always, remaining free from injuries is key.      Butler might develop quickly...or at a slower pace...like Asante Samuel did. Who cares...as long as he develops into another Asante.        What do you think about the Chargers selecting Larry English at #16?I questioned it at first, thinking ILB was the way they would go. English is a high motor guy, MVP of the MAC. He's also a character guy. He can spell Merriman while he comes back. Brass got to see Shaun Phillips line up against the opposing LT all year and there was a drop off in the pass rush.  I think English is stronger than Phillips. The guy is very good football player. Merriman on one side English on the other intrigues me a bit.   Is he insurance against Merriman leaving through FA?Very possibly, a 3 headed monster at OLB (Merriman, Phillips,& English is not a bad idea either. Had Knowshon Moreno not been taken by Denver at 12, my guess is that the Bolts would have taken him instead. Me too     Whats' the deal with Antonio Cromartie? This kid is just coming into his own. Amazing talent, to good to be a 'flash in the pan' if you ask me. I'd put him on Moss all day long   Why did his play fall off last year? He had a hip pointer for 7 games (some people called it a fracture). He had 60 tackles. wasn't that much of a dropoff IMO.    

Check out this opinion on it (makes mention of the Patriots a bit):
    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2009/4/26/854107/in-depth-analysis-larry-english    

&
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqI3Lt-LRKo 
    Posted by TexasPat3

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Ink Butler to 4 Year Deal :      Bolt:      Good to hear from you, my friend.      Yes...it looks like Butler has all the tools. But, who knows. As always, remaining free from injuries is key.      Butler might develop quickly...or at a slower pace...like Asante Samuel did. Who cares...as long as he develops into another Asante.        What do you think about the Chargers selecting Larry English at #16? Is he insurance against Merriman leaving through FA? Had Knowshon Moreno not been taken by Denver at #12, my guess is that the Bolts would have taken him instead.      Whats' the deal with Antonio Cromartie? Why did his play fall off last year?        
    Posted by TexasPat3

Tex:
     I know this is supposed to be Darius based, I just wanted you to be rightly informed.
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/12/1s12chargers01169/?chargers

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Butler was my first pick to make a start at CB in another post, he is a major athlete; but I don't think BB will have a rookie returning kicks.

Slater has shown nothing returning kicks at the Pro level, I believe he is a little too tall or just a long strider.  He may make a good safety...

Tate will be injured and by the seasons end won't have seen the field much unless the team has injuries like last season.

Returning kicks; Wheately and maybe Faulk in spots returning punts...

Sections
Shortcuts