Pats just picked up the best receiver in football, and nobody seemed to notice. Wow!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Pats just picked up the best receiver in football, and nobody seemed to notice. Wow!!!

In Response to Re: Pats just picked up the best receiver in football, and nobody seemed to notice. Wow!!!:

great hands

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Pats just picked up the best receiver in football, and nobody seemed to notice. Wow!!!

I am going to be the pessimist.....

So his rookie season was 2003-2004....

Since then he has played with 5 different teams.....Why?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

Randy Moss will put up much better numbers than Lloyd if the 49ers sign Manning.

Guaranteed.

Good receiver. But he is not in that upper echelon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

he could become that this year i agree he has florished under avg at best qbs scary what him and brady will do in this offence just think who do u cover? u can double anyone every one keeps talking wallace not seeing on how good this offence will be this year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I like a guy who can catch over 70 balls for a 1000 yards with 3 different QBs in 1 season.

He can get yac which is our bread and butter. We didn't "need" a deep threat because it is a lower% play. We needed a disciplined route runner with good hands and big play ability....I think we got him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Lloyd runs a 4.65 according to a conversation I heard a couple of weeks ago on NFL Network.
    That is neither here nor there as the saying goes though cause it is not his speed as much as his route running/breaking ability/vertical. His Vertical is still over 36" which is why you see him make so many circus catches. I predict he will have a fantastic year due to he has never had a good QB like he will have now and with Gronk, Herny, and Welker your talking about a pick your poison, and we havent even added in the possibility of any running game. Also the slot WR they picked up Gonzales(sp) if healthy has solid skills. They may have picked him up to allow them to see what the market for Welker is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

He'll do better with a stable QB situation.

49ers 2003-05
    Jeff Garcia 13 games started
    Tim Rattay 16
    Ken Dorsey 10
    Alex Smith 7
    Cody Pickett 2

Redskins 2006-07
    Mark Brunell 9
    Jason Campbell 20
    Todd Collins 3

Bears 2008
    Kyle Orton 15
    Rex Grossman 1

Broncos 2009-10
    Kyle Orton 19
    Chris Simms 1
    Tim Tebow 1

Rams 2010
    A.J. Feeley 3
    Sam Bradford 5
    Kellen Clemens 3

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Pats just picked up the best receiver in football, and nobody seemed to notice. Wow!!!:
    Randy Moss will put up much better numbers than Lloyd if the 49ers sign Manning. Guaranteed. Good receiver. But he is not in that upper echelon.
    Posted by df5

For someone wishing to just make some quick money off of someone else, This appears to be just about as good a bet as any that you could just stumble upon.

When Randy Moss was 33 years old, He had 9 receptions in his 4 games with NE's Tom Brady throwing him the ball for 139 yards (34.8 yards/game; 3 TDs total).  Afterwords, Moss went to start and play in 4 games for Minnesotta, accumulating 13 Receptions (3.3 rec/game), for 174 Total yards (43.5 yards/game), and 2 TDs total, Before going to Tennessee to play in 8 games, while starting 4, and amassing a grand total of: 6 receptions, for 80 yards, and 0 TDs total.

In Randy's unspectacular final 2 years on NE, the surrounding personell within his fellow receiving corp, looks eerily similiar to what San Fran's receiving situation will be when Moss gets there (just slightly but recognizably a little worse, while again- Rather than being 32, and 33 y.o., Moss will be 35 years old).  Here's NE's Receiving deal in Moss's last 2 years on NE:  This is what'cha got in relation- Ben Watson and then a combo of Hernandez and Gronkowski Verses Vernon Davis.  Davis, who's singular skill-set of being a pretty 1 dimensional pass-catching TE far over and above a Receiving/Blocking TE, WAS and IS more productive than Ben Watson, yet the same 1 type of skill-set like Watson's game-set... BUT, In Moss's last NE year, the unique matchup nightmare combo of Hernandez/Gronkowski easily surpasses Defenders paying FAR closer attention to this set-up verses one offering just Vernon Davis to free some defensive heat off Randy Moss. 
         Other than that, ya got 1 guy on each team within Moss's last 2 years with NE and what San Fran will offer as a very similiar counter check against the opposition, to aide positively in Moss's behalf:  Michael Crabtree verses Wes Welker.  Say whatever you will about the nuanced differences between Wes Welker's receiving duties and specific skills verses and in relation to Crabtree's...  Does NOT change the fact that Welker's LEAST productive year in receptions and total yardage output (86 Receptions, 848 Total Yards, 7 TDs, 9.9 Yards/avg), IS almost precisely the same as Crabtree's very best year (874 Total Yards, 72 Receptions, 4 TDs, 12.1 y/avg)...mind you, after that, Welker's NE production in his surrounding other 4 years in NE, were equal AND above: 110 Receptions+, 1165 yards+, and 10.5 yards/avg+.   
         After these guys, On BOTH sides of Randy's final 2 NE years, and what San Fran can parent Moss as support in other receiving San Fran options in this upcoming season, ARE- Role Players:  Guys with the low 200 and change or less total receiving yards in a season:  The last tally's from these guys: Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Sam Aiken- Actually and unbelievably surpass, San Fran's next tier role players in their reciving game- Kyle Williams, Ted Ginn, Josh Morgan).

...Just sayin', IF ya think Peyton Manning's 37 year old (or whatever he is) throwing arm backed by some insane year long major neck surgery situation IF he actually gets employed by San Fran, WILL and Should be "Guarenteed" to make a 35 year old Randy Moss an unquestionably more productive player than a healthy Tom Brady in 2012 now with FAR greater weapons that the oppossing defense's have to account for, including a continually rising in output, 30 year old Brandon Lloyd...  Again, I'm just sayin'- If ya wanna go 'head and simply throw away money simply in the name of hyperbole, fine with me.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Great signing, and I think people know what it "could" mean. But you never know. It didn't work out well with Ocho....

That said, even when they got Ocho, I and others noted that he was really an overlapping talent with Branch, running more possession routes inside is his forte. 

Lloyd actually answers the question (hopefully) that Tate, Slater, Underwood, et al, have tried to answer. A guy who can pull players downfield. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

49ers 2003-05
    Jeff Garcia 13 games started
    Tim Rattay 16
    Ken Dorsey 10
    Alex Smith 7
    Cody Pickett 2

Redskins 2006-07
    Mark Brunell 9
    Jason Campbell 20
    Todd Collins 3

Bears 2008
    Kyle Orton 15
    Rex Grossman 1

Broncos 2009-10
    Kyle Orton 19
    Chris Simms 1
    Tim Tebow 1

Rams 2010
    A.J. Feeley 3
    Sam Bradford 5
    Kellen Clemens 3

Wow kinda makes me feel sorry for the guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The guy reminds me very much of Randy Moss.  Not talent level mind you, although Lloyd does have some serious serious talent.  But rather, he's a bit of a basket case, and playing on losing teams seems to get to him ala Randy and bring that out.  Randy was a completely different guy when he got to NE, because he found a solid system, team and QB that made life a whole lot easier and enjoyable.  I expect Lloyd will fit in this team like a hand to a glove and good things will happen.  I'm very excited about the signing. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Best WR in football? No. Underrated by some, great fit for our system, makes this elite offense even better......Yes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I like the signing a lot. Dude has sick Upps, fights for the ball, has sure hands, makes amazing catches and has a very high YPC.

All that being said, he cost only 4 mill/year and thats great, but it wasnt all because he took a paycut, its because people have called him bi=polar and a bad teamate.

Im just saying, lets keep it in perspective. I love the signing for the money, but remember why he is coming here on the cheap. He is an unknown. Meaning noone knows who will show up everday. I think he is a hard worker on the field, and I have seen nothing to suggest otherwise, but do the math. Do you think E.Royal has more value, or that he is just more of a stable human being?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Pats just picked up the best receiver in football, and nobody seemed to notice. Wow!!! : His name is Calvin Johnson actually
    Posted by JintsFan

Actually he isn't. A number of WRs have put up numbers like Calvin over the years. No TE ever put up Gronk numbers. So when you consider what Gronk can bring on every play vs what Calvin can, Gronk is the more valuable guy. You can't subtract his important contributions to the run and pass protection when you tabulate. If you want to say Calvin is the greater "pass catcher", then maybe you have a better argument.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

It'll be a great signing when I know he has more mental capacity than a snow pea. Let's just hope Brady doesn't have to draw on his chest to tell him where to go like the last two "great signings"?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Okay . . .  if nobody else is going to ask it, I guess I will:

If this guy is so wonderful, how come he keeps getting shipped out?

(and why is he available for relative peanuts?)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The subject header is pure hyperbole.  Without starting an internet argument (and thus entering the special olympics) their at a dozen receivers that are better.

PMike. He gets peanuts because when Welker puts his best foot forward to sign a contract, Hernandez becomes #3, Gronk is option #2 and Lloyd becomes the man that stretches the field. With the cap room the Pats have it is good signing. I never buy into the idea that getting the biggest names at each position out there will radically effect the outcome of the season (see Eagles and Jets).

It's a big splash and a big name, but he only has to catch 40-50 balls to be effective. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be Galloway/Chad Johnson Part II. Hopefully the RB situation will resolve itself.

I'm just as optimistic as about D Line players that Belichick has signed. The Patriots Brass tends to be very good at evaluating D line talent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Lloyd - Leads NFL in receiving yards in 2010 (w/ Kyle Orton), and still solid in 2011
    Welker - Leads NFL in receiving yards in 2011
    Gronkowski - Sets yardage/TD records for TE's (22 years old)
    Hernandez - 900 yards (22 years old)
    Branch - The most reliable 5th option in the NFL

Emerging Ridley and Vereen...

This is going to get crazy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In one of the more inevitable moves of free agency Brandon Lloyd continues following Josh McDaniels around the country by signing with the Patriots. A different type of receiver to anything the Patriots have, Lloyd went from career journeyman, to one of the most deadly receivers in the league in 2010. A trade to St Louis didn’t stop him exhibiting his talent, even if the quarterback play left us wanting more. Worth noting that Lloyd was our top ranked receiver in the league in 2010 when he led the league in receptions where the ball was thrown over 20 yards. Could the Patriots have nabbed a receiver to add a different dimension to their passing attack? We think so.

-- https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/17/pff-live-free-agency-reaction-blog-day-5-031712/

Sections
Shortcuts