Pats Mailbag

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Pats Mailbag

Its nice to have an owner who is dialed in and can influence policy. This really helps as it gives BB the right intel to plan forward. 

With 26m in cap space, they can do just about anything. I personally would like to see mankins and wilfork s cap reduced as well to get us in the 32-34m range. That would be ideal. I would also like bb to trade mallet and find a way to acquire 2 more early round picks. If we could walk out of the draft with 4-5 round 1-3 selections, and 1 4th or 5th, that would be ideal given the depth this year. It's a good year to load up on DT, cb and WR. 

the position the pats are in right now is a combo of Kraft, bb and to date, tb's extension. Meaning, total team effort. I want to see a cap reduction trickle effect with some other guys on the roster as well.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

As much as I would love to deal mallet and mankins for Fitzgerald, I don't see it happening. I do think however the Pats will flood training camp at the WR position like last year and see what sticks. Lloyd I think too is a goner, saving the Pats an additional 4.9m in cap space. Add that to the 26 we have and that is a very nice amount to enter FA. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I think what we are looking at here is a case in which a team has a quarterback that is willing to win - and take less than market value on an extension that will save the team cap space. Win.

Now this two year flat cap...first off for this to work in our favor there will have to be a large quantity of players dumped that are actual good players/players teams wanted and needed to keep. Second WE will need to sign them to very favorable deals. So for us to come out looking like the smarter team, other teams will need to dump/purge/cut/slash players that are in their prime and we will have to be the team collecting those players. Is that going to happen? How many teams are actually in dire straits like that? Two? And they appear to be the usual suspects - other than that it looks pretty much the same...old players are getting cut...teams that signed them are creating cap space...same as every year.

We benefited from a QB getting extended and I am happy for it. We need to take advantage of a window that is closing rapidly, the clock is ticking. No more...well so and so defensive lineman will cost too much and put us in scary salary cap hell! We need to spend it now. We need to go all in now and I think you'll see that. Brady did this team a solid - the rest of the NFL is envious...so are the fans of other teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Well, it appears like what I predicted (along with others, although we've been a minority here under attack for 3 years) has again been corroborated via Mike Reiss behind the comments of Bob Kraft.  As suggested going into the lockout, the teams that were conservative with FA moves and overall market deals, would be the ones shining on the other side.

One of our most infamous Jets trolls thought the owners locked out to get the cap "close to 140 million" out of the game in 2011. LMAO

This would mean the union had the leverage in the lockout and the owners had none, so if you at least a GED, you could easily see that 140 cap number was an outrageous prediction. Ironic, Mike Tannenbaum apparently also believed that kind of a number and is now unemployed.

When the Jets were making all their dumb moves, with many of those moves celebrated here by a small few, it was clear to some why Kraft/BB weren't copying the Jets. Many fell for the comments of Kraft being "cheap" with Felger and Mazz leading the way with that charge in 2010 with Brady's big deal. Same thing with Mankins. Same thing with Wilfork.   Heck, Mankins went as far as going public calling Kraft a "liar" as his greed took over.

What appeared to be Kraft being "cheap" was really a strategic positioning so NE would remain in great position in 2010 and now in 2013, with that flat cap, remaining at the 2009 level.

These are the ones who think there is no cap, it doesn't matter, pay anyone anything and eliminate your leverage as GM to end up like the NY Jets, the franchise that is in the worst position of any team in the NFL. How ironic.  Trendy moves, reckless management and loud mouth behavior doesn't win SBs even though some of our own Pats fans think it does.

Meanwhile, paying ahead of the market (not behind it), keeping leverage, and locking down your key players is what matters. 

There is a cap. It's a real thing. Every move matters.  Felger and Mazz lost, not suprisingly. Their minions on these boards did, too.  The two hyenas probably can't balance a checkbook without their wives by their side. Anyone taking their lead, Gasper's lead or anyone at ESPN should feel pretty foolish right now.

Thanks to Kraft, too. He did what I was suggesting he would do with Welker's situation if he could, but he just did it with Brady.  Brady's entire contract is guaranteed through age 40, which means Kraft is opening his checkbook, taking a huege financial risk, throwing caution to the wind.

Win/win for all, but no one should ever call NE "cheap" or Kraft "cheap" again. Was a myth, as have been any negative directed towards this organization. Jealousy is an ugly, ugly trait.

Hard to ignore the first entry in this week's malbag:

Q. There has been talk that this year, because the cap is not expected to rise, that several teams will have to cut some good players. Is this, at least in part, the reason for the Brady deal? That is, the Pats can now be major players, not only in keeping some of their own players, but also in the free agent market at large? -- Tman (Belmont)

Reiss: Tman, yes, there is an element of that in play with the Brady extension. I still thought the Patriots were in solid position with $18 million in cap space, but this gives the team even more flexibility this year (about $26 million in cap space by my estimate) and next year as well (when the cap isn't expected to rise again). It's all part of an overall strategy that was hatched after the 2011 lockout to prepare for the "flat-cap" era of football -- three straight years in which the salary cap did not increase much at all. I specifically remember owner Robert Kraft talking about the future and the salary cap not rising, and some contesting that viewpoint. The teams that didn't prepare accordingly are going to be hurt this this year.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/page/reissmailbagweek0226/how-pats-spend-all-cash

who cares

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Its nice to have an owner who is dialed in and can influence policy. This really helps as it gives BB the right intel to plan forward. 

With 26m in cap space, they can do just about anything. I personally would like to see mankins and wilfork s cap reduced as well to get us in the 32-34m range. That would be ideal. I would also like bb to trade mallet and find a way to acquire 2 more early round picks. If we could walk out of the draft with 4-5 round 1-3 selections, and 1 4th or 5th, that would be ideal given the depth this year. It's a good year to load up on DT, cb and WR. 

the position the pats are in right now is a combo of Kraft, bb and to date, tb's extension. Meaning, total team effort. I want to see a cap reduction trickle effect with some other guys on the roster as well.

re: "I personally would like to see mankins and wilfork s cap reduced as well to get us in the 32-34m range. That would be ideal. I would also like bb to trade mallet and find a way to acquire 2 more early round picks."

i have said the same thing lifer

add to this, if we get some pass rush in fa, that would really free us up, esp if we have extra picks. if we dont have etra picks a few more free agents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

As much as I would love to deal mallet and mankins for Fitzgerald, I don't see it happening. I do think however the Pats will flood training camp at the WR position like last year and see what sticks. Lloyd I think too is a goner, saving the Pats an additional 4.9m in cap space. Add that to the 26 we have and that is a very nice amount to enter FA. 

yes i said a few weeks ago my thought of dropping lloyd and no one was on board then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well I think what we are looking at here is a case in which a team has a quarterback that is willing to win - and take less than market value on an extension that will save the team cap space. Win.

Now this two year flat cap...first off for this to work in our favor there will have to be a large quantity of players dumped that are actual good players/players teams wanted and needed to keep. Second WE will need to sign them to very favorable deals. So for us to come out looking like the smarter team, other teams will need to dump/purge/cut/slash players that are in their prime and we will have to be the team collecting those players. Is that going to happen? How many teams are actually in dire straits like that? Two? And they appear to be the usual suspects - other than that it looks pretty much the same...old players are getting cut...teams that signed them are creating cap space...same as every year.

We benefited from a QB getting extended and I am happy for it. We need to take advantage of a window that is closing rapidly, the clock is ticking. No more...well so and so defensive lineman will cost too much and put us in scary salary cap hell! We need to spend it now. We need to go all in now and I think you'll see that. Brady did this team a solid - the rest of the NFL is envious...so are the fans of other teams.

agreed. the fa "smart" conservative strategy has not worked and may have cost sbs. ditto the moving down too often and passing on studs

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

agreed. the fa "smart" conservative strategy has not worked and may have cost sbs. ditto the moving down too often and passing on studs

Sure. Trading up before the rookie pre cap looking for trendy "studs" from the NCAA cost Brady decision making in SB 46.

This is what I mean. Right here.

We have a 48 year old Mt Hurl and a 20 year old Bdbreu walking hand in hand into stupidity.

Neither has a clue about basic economics and neither understands that the rookie cap did not kick in until 2012.

But, we should have traded up in 2009, 2010 and 2011. LMAO

Meanwhile, Brady has to seek the highest QB contract ever in 2010, Wilfork is due, Mankins held out selfishly because the media prodded him to think he was the best OL in the league, and here we are waiting on Brady again.

Anyone siding with Hurl or Bdbreu needs to look for a short bus. And soon.

and we have 30 something rusty with vast cultural experience..LOLOLOLOL

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

Sure. Trading up before the rookie pre cap looking for trendy "studs" from the NCAA cost Brady decision making in SB 46.

This is what I mean. Right here.

We have a 48 year old Mt Hurl and a 20 year old Bdbreu walking hand in hand into stupidity.

Neither has a clue about basic economics and neither understands that the rookie cap did not kick in until 2012.

But, we should have traded up in 2009, 2010 and 2011. LMAO

Meanwhile, Brady has to seek the highest QB contract ever in 2010, Wilfork is due, Mankins held out selfishly because the media prodded him to think he was the best OL in the league, and here we are waiting on Brady again.

Anyone siding with Hurl or Bdbreu needs to look for a short bus. And soon.

and we have 30 something rusty with vast cultural experience..LOLOLOLOL

A lot more than you. You tried to leave Long Island and flunked out of Berklee because you weren't quite good enough.

LOL is right.

aawww touched a sore spot, youngster? thats okay ur generation is so wise and worldly u will figure it all out one day soon...chin up 30 something  :  )

moving on...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've said in the past that, when signing players, the Pats aren't motivated by a desire to save money (i.e., being "cheap") but by a desire to preserve cap space and the flexibility to make moves. Generally I think this is very wise.  There is, however, a risk that the team will fall a bit short in the talent area by doing this.  No strategy has no downside, and for all its strengths the one downside of the Pats' strategy has been the lack of one or two key players who may have helped them win a Super Bowl.  Still, you can't really question the approach too much because no team in recent history has played so well for so long or been so strong a contender for the championship so consistently season after season. Given the way the draft and cap are designed to force parity, that consistent yearly success is an extraordinary accomplishment.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

So, what you're saying is that BB has mastered the system, but has won three playoff games since 2007, fewer than Mark Sanchez ha won and not a superbowl win since 2004?  Yeah, just a little arrogant.  I think there are at least 7 or 8 teams that have done it better. 

The "cap and draft" system seems to allow two approaches: one (the Pats's) that allows you to stay consistently good and one that is more binge and purge, allowing you to concentrate talent for a short while then be forced to crash and rebuild.  No team has done better at the first approach than the Pats. Other teams have done well with the other approach. The Jets have tried the binge and purge approach, but haven't done it very well.  Giants remain the serious NY team. Jets are a pathetic sideshow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

So, what you're saying is that BB has mastered the system, but has won three playoff games since 2007, fewer than Mark Sanchez ha won and not a superbowl win since 2004?  Yeah, just a little arrogant.  I think there are at least 7 or 8 teams that have done it better. 

The "cap and draft" system seems to allow two approaches: one (the Pats's) that allows you to stay consistently good and one that is more binge and purge, allowing you to concentrate talent for a short while then be forced to crash and rebuild.  No team has done better at the first approach than the Pats. Other teams have done well with the other approach. The Jets have tried the binge and purge approach, but haven't done it very well.  Giants remain the serious NY team. Jets are a pathetic sideshow.

I can agree with this binge and purge name you gave to teams, and I do think it works just fine for some. I also think our steady approach works too, but I think it works as well as it has because of our quarterback and coach...otherwise I don't think it would work quite as well. And I wouldn't really say it's a total straight and narrow steady approach - I think the team calculates binge years once in a while, 07, 02 and probably this year - I think it's part of their business strategy. I will say I think we blew some golden oppurtunities by NOT taking a binge approach over the last three years - I think there was a window there that the AFC looked very weak and we could won another one. That's what bothers me, I believe we could of won another one and we wouldn't stray from a business approach that may be magnified by a quarterback's play and head coach's coaching ability.

And for all this hard cap talk - just yesterday a team like Pittsburgh restructured a linebacker and saved 5 million on the cap....that same team will restructure their QB soon and save another 5 million. They will save 10 million without cutting one single player, and this is one of those teams that is in some of the worst salary cap shape. I don't thin we would of been dead in the water if we had spent more in the past few years, in fact I think we would of had another Super Bowl trophy.

So we shall see if this hard cap makes teams dump good players that they absolutely wanted to keep and had to have. And we shall see if we were smarter than everyone else and will swoop in and sign them - or if the last three years was just a nice business strategy that saved the team millions...yet was allowed to still win because of Brady.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I can agree with this binge and purge name you gave to teams, and I do think it works just fine for some. I also think our steady approach works too, but I think it works as well as it has because of our quarterback and coach...otherwise I don't think it would work quite as well. And I wouldn't really say it's a total straight and narrow steady approach - I think the team calculates binge years once in a while, 07, 02 and probably this year - I think it's part of their business strategy. I will say I think we blew some golden oppurtunities by NOT taking a binge approach over the last three years - I think there was a window there that the AFC looked very weak and we could won another one. That's what bothers me, I believe we could of won another one and we wouldn't stray from a business approach that may be magnified by a quarterback's play and head coach's coaching ability.

And for all this hard cap talk - just yesterday a team like Pittsburgh restructured a linebacker and saved 5 million on the cap....that same team will restructure their QB soon and save another 5 million. They will save 10 million without cutting one single player, and this is one of those teams that is in some of the worst salary cap shape. I don't thin we would of been dead in the water if we had spent more in the past few years, in fact I think we would of had another Super Bowl trophy.

So we shall see if this hard cap makes teams dump good players that they absolutely wanted to keep and had to have. And we shall see if we were smarter than everyone else and will swoop in and sign them - or if the last three years was just a nice business strategy that saved the team millions...yet was allowed to still win because of Brady.

I think you're right that without Brady and Belichick, the Pats wouldn't have been nearly as successful with their approach.  I myself have been frustrated at times with the talent and have wished the Pats would have sprung for one or two more top FAs or maybe not moved down in the draft so much.  But it's a fine line to walk.  You start making those cap-unfriendly moves and pretty soon you're stuck with binge and purge.  The real business decision Kraft needs to make is how to keep the excitement level up year after year, the stands full, the ads selling at premium prices, and the sales of branded clothing and "gear" high.  I have a feeling that being in the mix every year is better for that than having a few good years followed by a few bad ones.  Winning a Super Bowl is nice for sales too and I'm sure it's an important goal for Kraft, but I bet the consistent ability to draw (and grow) revenue every year is more important.