Pats make a defensive move!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Pats make a defensive move!

Looks like NE hired a new DB coach...the former DC from ND....(headscratch)

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/01/29/patriots-reportedly-hire-ex-notre-dame-dc-corwin-brown-to-be-dbs-coach/

what are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Re: Pats make a defensive move!

Corwin Brown as d-backs coach is a good move. His fundimentals as a player were sound and he should be able to teach these current players how to hit and most importantly how to wrap opposing players up and actually tackle them. Just my 2 cents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I hope he can make Wilhite a better DB, he's not that far off.  He stays with coverage he just doesn't turn to find the ball.  I think if he can improve he would be good as the 3rd CB but again he needs to work at finishing the coverage.

As far as the article suggests, Patricia as the OC, I think this guy is born to do that.  He's as smart as they come and understands the scheme and think he'll be able to improve and put a new spin on it.

The big question is, does he have the cojones to stand up and question Bill if he doesn't agree?  Also, what happens to Peppers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

The big question is, does he have the cojones to stand up and question Bill if he doesn't agree?  Also, what happens to Peppers?

This is what Bill is looking for, someone to question things.....But how much clout would a DB coach get?

Peppers is the DL coach, isn't he (until he gets the DC job)....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Well if Peppers doesn't get the OC job and Patricia does I don't think Peppers stays around much longer.  He was mentioned when the Giants were in the market for a DC so I think he's here for 1 more year then gone or if Denver hasn't found 1 yet Peppers would be a top candidate.

m you are right, based on BBs comments he's missing the type of coach who challenges him.  It is good to have some other perspectives when making important decisions, doesn't mean he'll change his mind but it does make him evaluate before he does.

I like Patricia as the next DC, I think he will be great.  Because he's young not well known he IMO would be around for a few years.  He'll have to proof for a few years he can do that job before teams look at him as a candidate for rookie head coach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Whoever they decide on I hope he's as nasty as Gregg Williams!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 3/1/2009
    Last: 1/29/2010
    Well if Peppers doesn't get the OC job and Patricia does I don't think Peppers stays around much longer.
    I think that you meant the DC job.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

You know fans are upset about the state of the team when the hiring of a DB coach gets this much attention.

I like the hire, former NFL player/coach as well as a BCS level DC, though the results of the later were pretty bad.

Welcome back to Foxboro, Corwin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@mbeaulieu....you follow ND right?  What do you think of this guy?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

thanks m1021 I do, was thinking looking for a replacement OC is more urgent IMO because I think we have two of the top candidates to be DC in house.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I like Peppers as the DC.  He has enough experience in games and coaching to question and challenge BB when it is needed.  Plus his experience will allow input that just looking at Xs and Os wont create.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb I like this hire as well, I think the reason this got attention is because there are SO many questions regarding the Pats going into this offseason. 

It has been slow moving but Feb is around the corner, coaches are coming back to work (did BB ever stopped?).  I think we go without news for another week and then we begin hearing more second week of Feb.  The combine begins at end of February so we'll start seeing player bios ect.

Speaking of the combine, is it wrong to lie to your boss about not been able to go to a business trip to Mexico city during the time the combine is happening?  I work from my home office so I can watch as long as I'm not on conf calls if I went I woudn't be able to.  I did and moved the trip a week later.  I know I know I might be too obsessed with all this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I guess this means i can sleep good tonight.Not!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

patsfaninsatx,
    Yes, I'm a big ND fan, watch all of their games.  Their defense was horrid this year, couldn't hold a lead.  Brown had the title of 'Co-DC' though it was Jon Tenuta's schemes/game plans that were implemented.  Their defenses were better however when Brown was the sole DC.  I think he's sufficient as a DB coach in NE.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I live in the Chicago area and have watched nearly every ND game since Charlie was hired, and their defense was bad. It was Charlie's downfall.
     I'm not going to be negative though, maybe a return to focusing only on the DBs is where he needs to be. He has pro experience and we need fresh voices.
     Good luck Coach Brown! Coach em' up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgirl6. Show patsgirl6's posts

mbeaulieu07, we need better than just SUFFICIENT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Patsgirl,
    I could say he's an excellent hire, but what difference does it make?  I'm not in coaches meetings, I'm not on the field with them and I don't know his overall coaching acumen and understanding of the game.  What I do know is he's been hired by Parcells, Al Groh, Charlie Weis and now Bill Belichick, so he must be doing some thing right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@mb...great point!  ^^^^

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

patsfan, Thanks!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats7393,
    I'm with you on the combine addiction, it's one of the sole reasons I got the NFL Network originally.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Great: One of the reasons Weis is out of a Job at Notre Dame, is because they  had a terrible Defense.Did anyone actually watch Notre Dame the Last few years. Great Offense, even a mediocre Defense and Weis would still be theyre. The Defensive backs at Notre Dame are 4 and 5 star recruits, and Brown obviously could not coach them Up. If anything he took High School superstars and turned them into a JOKE. Make him the water Boy. We have enough problems on Defensive. He knows BB like he Knows Weis and what did he do for Charlie. NO THANKS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

44 although I do think you have a point I take into account what age of kids he's working with.  Maybe is not so much as too his knowledge and been able to teach as to more his style in coaching and 18 yr kids just do not gravitating to him.

I'm not saying is that but he's been around for a long time coaching for some good head coaches, I think if he was so bad he would have been out of coaching a long time ago but that's just my opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Was he a DB's coach when he was with the Jets?  If so, were they any good?  Its been some time since Parcells was with the NYJ's.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.csnne.com/pages/landing_patriots?Report-Pats-hire-Corwin-Brown-as-DB-coac=1&blockID=171695&feedID=3946&qv=1

why question BB? some strong arguments praising the change at DB coach.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats,

Great article by Curran, some very valid points.

McGowan (a 5 year vet)sure comes off sounding like a punk.......and to a lesser extent so does Butler, though he's only a rookie that still needs to mature.