Pats Must Beat Houston Next Week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Pats Must Beat Houston Next Week

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to sporter81's comment:

Yup, they have to win this one in order to have a shot at the bye. If the Patriots lose then Denver will get the bye when they knock off the Ravens and run the table. At this point Denver is more dangerous than Houston IMO. Not the same team we played earlier but neither are the Patriots.

Denver's defense isn't that good.  That will be their downfall. 

Typical Crusty/Scummy,  Being ranked 3rd is bad and 26th is good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Be nice if they win, but they do not have to. They are in the playoffs as a division champion; no worse than a #4 seed. It does not matter whether they play 3 games rather than 2 to get to the Super Bowl, nor does it matter whether they play home or away.

All that matters is that when the playoffs come, they play each game better than the other team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Of course...but without winning this next game against Houston, the rest may not matter, with regards to earning a bye."

You could say that about every remaining game on the schedule though. There's no significance to the Houston game unless you are fantasizing that Houston could drop out of the 1 or 2 spot. I'm not. 

Ergo, all the games are equally important. The Pats need to go three for four I'd say to have a shot at a first round bye. When those wins happen is just not that important, as much as it would be nice to get us all jazzed up for this game. 

Look, if I had to pick one game as the one I'd like most to win of the next four, it would be Houston as there is a slight, and I mean slight chance that loss could end up knocking them into the three or four seed eventually, and of course wins against AFC teams matter a bit more than NFC for tie breaker scenarios, but this is not a must win game, even for home field advantage. It's a must win for the number one seed but not the number two, and I don't really care about one versus two. What matters is the bye week. 

Here's how I'd describe it, not as melodramatic but here goes: 

- To have a shot as a first round bye, the Pats MUST win three out of four. (going 2-2 is not going to cut it for a first round bye. (and get some help from Baltimore and Denver in particular by those teams losing). For this scenario, it doesn't really matter where the loss comes, or where the wins come, but the Texans would be the top choice for a win.

- To have a shot at the number one seed throughout the playoffs, if that is important to you, the Pats must win every game that's left (and get some help from Houston losing in particular)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Be nice if they win, but they do not have to. They are in the playoffs as a division champion; no worse than a #4 seed. It does not matter whether they play 3 games rather than 2 to get to the Super Bowl, nor does it matter whether they play home or away.

All that matters is that when the playoffs come, they play each game better than the other team.

Strongly disagree. If, say, the Pats finish 3rd or 4th, they would likely have to face either the Bengals or Steelers (with a healthy Ben) in the wildcard round. The Steelers especially would be tough. Then, the Pats would likely have to beat two of these teams...Denver, Baltimore, and/or Houston...all on the road.  

To summarize:

1.) with all their injuries, the extra week gained by the Pats due to a bye could be huge;

2.) if the Pats can't beat the Texans in New England, what makes you think that they'll be able to beat them in the play-offs. on the road in Houston...should they meet;

3.) it's so much easier to beat two good teams back to back at home, then to beat three good teams back to back to back...with the final two on the road. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

The way Talib, Dennard and Gregory are playing, I look for the Pats to easily handle the Texans.

The Texans DB's have some injuries, so that should balance our bang-ed up WR/TE corps.

I look for an easy win. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Strongly disagree. If, say, the Pats finish 3rd or 4th, they would likely have to face either the Bengals or Steelers (with a healthy Ben) in the wildcard round. The Steelers especially would be tough. Then, the Pats would likely have to beat two of these teams...Denver, Baltimore, and/or Houston...all on the road.  

To summarize:

1.) with all their injuries, the extra week gained by the Pats due to a bye could be huge;

2.) if the Pats can't beat the Texans in New England, what makes you think that they'll be able to beat them in the play-offs. on the road in Houston...should they meet;

3.) it's so much easier to beat two good teams back to back at home, then to beat three good teams back to back to back...with the final two on the road. 

Sure, you are free to disagree. But every word I said is fact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

The way Talib, Dennard and Gregory are playing, I look for the Pats to easily handle the Texans.

The Texans DB's have some injuries, so that should balance our bang-ed up WR/TE corps.

I look for an easy win. 

I don't see an easy win. The Pats have too many injuries to too many key players for anything to be easy. The Texans are 11-1 for a reason. I've seen most of their games, and, their tough. They're a very well balanced team. 

That said, the key to winning will be how the Patriots handle Texan DE, J.J. Watt. He's a very special player. Tom Brady must be sure that Watt isn't defllecting his passes at the line of scrimmage. An interception caused by a deflection could result in a killer turnover:  http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20121204-texans-j.j.-watt-makes-belichick-take-notice.ece

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

No secret that BB likes to make the opposition "one dimensional" on offense. Scary choice when looking at Schaub and/or Foster. We know what Schaub can, and probably do to the defense. We also know that Foster is one of the top RB's in the NFL. yet, Schaub is the key to their offense. Focusing on stopping him leaves Foster to his own devices. We need to pray that the Pats D can hold them to under 40 points.

To me, this is a same/same matchup issue: Texans O vs Pats D, and Pats O vs Texans D. Who's going to get the better of whom? While both D's have injury issues, at least the Pats starting LB corp is healthy. Can't say that for the Texans. When looking at offenses, I'd have to give the Texans an advantage too. Johnson can stretch out the field better than any WR the Pats have, AND will catch the ball. He will NOT be a decoy. And we know Kubiak knows just where and how to attack the Pats D. Think he's drooling watching films of lesser QB's ripping the Pats D a new one? Plus, no one in their right mind would NOT take Foster over any Pats RB, or combo thereof.

This will be a shoot 'em out, bring the abacus, lock up the children and women folk kind of game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

No secret that BB likes to make the opposition "one dimensional" on offense. Scary choice when looking at Schaub and/or Foster. We know what Schaub can, and probably do to the defense. We also know that Foster is one of the top RB's in the NFL. yet, Schaub is the key to their offense. Focusing on stopping him leaves Foster to his own devices. We need to pray that the Pats D can hold them to under 40 points.

To me, this is a same/same matchup issue: Texans O vs Pats D, and Pats O vs Texans D. Who's going to get the better of whom? While both D's have injury issues, at least the Pats starting LB corp is healthy. Can't say that for the Texans. When looking at offenses, I'd have to give the Texans an advantage too. Johnson can stretch out the field better than any WR the Pats have, AND will catch the ball. He will NOT be a decoy. And we know Kubiak knows just where and how to attack the Pats D. Think he's drooling watching films of lesser QB's ripping the Pats D a new one? Plus, no one in their right mind would NOT take Foster over any Pats RB, or combo thereof.

This will be a shoot 'em out, bring the abacus, lock up the children and women folk kind of game.

Don't see it that way. Both defenses are better than you seem to be giving them credit for. Can't see the Texans scoring 40 points. But, if they get anywhere near that, they'll  win in a blow-out. This should be an outstanding game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Arian Foster is averaging 3.9 ypc....we know what that means...the guy is a bum and will be cut soon. Pats 42 Texans 3.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

Don't see it that way. Both defenses are better than you seem to be giving them credit for. Can't see the Texans scoring 40 points. But, if they get anywhere near that, they'll  win in a blow-out. This should be an outstanding game.

Defenses better? How do you figure that with the Texans? They gave up 31 to the Lions and 37 to the Jags, with a decimated LB corps.  The Pats gave up 24 to the Broncos and another 31 to the Bills, whicle having no serious injuries to be concerned about. And, as we know, that Pats feel the need to get gashed on defense for those 20 yd+ plays. I just don't see the Pats D limiting Schaub to less than 400 yds and 4 TD's (sorry, no DB can handle Johnson 1 on 1), with a defense #19 in sacks while playing the year relatively healthy.

I wish I could believe in this defense vs a strong offensive minded team. I just wish I could.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

To summarize:

According to the current standing the Pats are the 2 seed due to Conference record, I thought head to head trumpted Conf record, but I guess not.  So if the Pats win out and Indy can take one from the Texans we would be the 1 seed.  Indy plays them twice to 3 weeks that's a tough schedule against and improving division rival in the last three weeks of the season.

here's hoping!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

To summarize:

According to the current standing the Pats are the 2 seed due to Conference record, I thought head to head trumpted Conf record, but I guess not.

RESPONSE: My understanding is that, assuming Baltimore beats Washington and the Pats beat Houston...that if Baltimore can then beat Denver, even if the Pats beat SF, the Ravens will then regain the tie-breaker edge.   

So if the Pats win out and Indy can take one from the Texans we would be the 1 seed.  Indy plays them twice to 3 weeks that's a tough schedule against and improving division rival in the last three weeks of the season.

RESPONSE: Only if the Ravens lose a game. If both the Ravens and Pats win out, Baltimore owns the tie-breaker.

here's hoping!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

The Pats are not facing the 11-1, AFC leading Houston Texans at the most opportune time. Their injury list is long and distinguished: TE Rob Gronkowski (arm), LG Logan Mankins (ankle/shoulder/knee), RT Sebastien Vollmer (ankle/back), RG Dan Connelly (back), WR/PR Julian Edelman (foot), DE Chandler Jones (ankle)...not good. But, the Pats are playing at home, and still have the the most dynamic duo in NFL history on their side, in BB and Tom Brady. Nonetheless, they'll need to bring their "A" game to the stadium next week, if they want to beat the tough, balanced Texans. At stake is playoff seeding. If the Patriots lose to the Texans, you can just about kiss away any hope of New England earning a playoff bye. 

The Pats finally caught a break last Sunday, when the Charlie Batch led Pittsburgh Steelers upset the Baltimore Ravens. With a win over Houston, the Pats remaining games are against SF at home, Jacksonville on the road, and Miami, at home.

Meanwhile, the Texans will finish with back to back home games against Luck led Indy, and the Vikings, before finishing the season at Indy. The Ravens have the toughest road remaining, with games @ Washington, Denver, NY Giants, and @ Cincinnati. Denver appears to have the weakest schedule, with games against the lowly Raiders in Oakland, and @ Baltimore, before closing with two cupcakes at home, Cleveland and Kansas City.

Though the Patriots are focusing on Houston and Baltimore ahead of them, beware of the Broncos, who are lurking, just a tie-breaker behind: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22118681/broncos-aim-no-2-seed-key-game-at  

I love hosting the AFC Championship game at Foxborough.  It can happen again!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

To summarize:

According to the current standing the Pats are the 2 seed due to Conference record, I thought head to head trumpted Conf record, but I guess not.

RESPONSE: My understanding is that, assuming Baltimore beats Washington and the Pats beat Houston...that if Baltimore can then beat Denver, even if the Pats beat SF, the Ravens will then regain the tie-breaker edge.   

So if the Pats win out and Indy can take one from the Texans we would be the 1 seed.  Indy plays them twice to 3 weeks that's a tough schedule against and improving division rival in the last three weeks of the season.

RESPONSE: Only if the Ravens lose a game. If both the Ravens and Pats win out, Baltimore owns the tie-breaker.

here's hoping!

That is what I thought but the explanation says Based on Conference record.  NE is 8-1 in the conference and Balt is 8-2.  If they both win out NE still has the better Conference record and Head to Head to the second Tie Breaker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

To summarize:

here's hoping!

That is what I thought but the explanation says Based on Conference record.  NE is 8-1 in the conference and Balt is 8-2.  If they both win out NE still has the better Conference record and Head to Head to the second Tie Breaker.

Sorry I just checked and head to head between two teams is the Number one tie breaker.  My bad!  They have the same record so not sure why they NE at the 2 spot right not.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

To summarize:

here's hoping!

As of right now, the Pats, Ravens,a nd Broncos (remember them?) are in a three way tie with 9-3 records. In multi team ties, head-to-head is tossed out, and conference records come into play. The Pats are 8-1 in connference (remaining games vs Txans, @ Jags, and the Fins; the Ravens are 8-2, with games with Denver and @ Cincy; the Broncos are 6-2, and all their remaining games are against the AFC: @ Ravens, @ Raid-uhs, the Browns, and the Chiefs.

Even if the Pats lose to the Texans, to get their 2nd AFC loss, either the Broncos or Ravens will get their 3rd when they meet head-to-head. Baltimore has a good shot of losing to Cincy, a division opponent, seeing how their D is all beat up, with the core of their defense just about done for the season. Plus they still have to play the 'Skins and Giants. It's easy to see a 2-2 closing, making them 11-5. The Broncos have to play long time/traditional foes the Raid-uhs and Chiefs, plus the Browns. RECORDWISE, they appear to have the softer remaining schedule. But, we all know what can happen in late season games vs divisional rivals who have absolutely nothing to lose. Gamblers in Vegas LOVE that time of the year too. If the Broncos lose to the Ravens, I can see them picking up one more loss, if for no other reason than "looking ahead", or resting players. That'll give them a 11-5 record too. I see the Pats losing one game to either Hiuston or the 49'ers (the Texans are my best bet loss), making them 12-4.

1) I don't see the Pats losing more than 1 more time to finish at 12-4

2) I don't see the Ravens running the table with their remaining games, but can see them closing at 2-2 ro end up at 11-5.

3) If the Broncos lose to the Ravens (in Baltimore), and can run the rest, they'll finish 12-4, but lose the head to head with the Pats. But, I can see them potentially losing 1 more to a "nothing to lose" team.

The Texans are drawn in with one loss now. If the Pats beat them this week, their best shot to pick up a 3rd loss is two games against the Colts. They COULD lose both of them, and still win the division. That may play in their minds, making those games "so what?" to them. But, I don't realistically see them losing 3 of their remaining 4 games to create a tie with NE.

Long story short, that debacle vs the Cardinals could cost the Pats #1 throughout the playoffs. That was the one loss they have that they NEVER should have been in any kind of position to lose. Seattle is very tough at home,a nd te Ravens were just about the favorites to win teh SB this year, based on how they beat themselves in last season's AFC Championshop ame (saying tongue in cheek). Ah, but that Cardinals debacle.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'd sure like to win it.  But it's not a MUST.  Come on, we are going to the playoffs anyway.  I'd rather go to the Ravens, let the Broncos take the Texans (who Manning knows pretty well).  Then deal with Manning and the Broncos.  But, if we edge the Ravens out by winning out, I don't think they can keep up, and we bag the 2 spot, all good we will see them anyway.    I don't see catching the Texans no matter if we beat them or not, so I'd like to sit at number 2 and get the bye week, so I'd like to win out.  But not much different either way, just one more game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'd sure like to win it.  But it's not a MUST.  Come on, we are going to the playoffs anyway.  I'd rather go to the Ravens, let the Broncos take the Texans (who Manning knows pretty well).  Then deal with Manning and the Broncos.  But, if we edge the Ravens out by winning out, I don't think they can keep up, and we bag the 2 spot, all good we will see them anyway.    I don't see catching the Texans no matter if we beat them or not, so I'd like to sit at number 2 and get the bye week, so I'd like to win out.  But not much different either way, just one more game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Davedsone's comment:

Don't discount the Steelers. With a healthy Big Ben and Polamalu, they are capable of beating anybody, anywhere. They are resilient and tough, like our Patriots.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to Davedsone's comment:

Don't discount the Steelers. With a healthy Big Ben and Polamalu, they are capable of beating anybody, anywhere. They are resilient and tough, like our Patriots.  

I agree, but Troy is an injury just waiting to re-occur (what's this, his 3rd "comeback" this season?) Ben's gotta be conscious of that hurt wing and ribs, no matter what he or the Steerer staff will say. One good hit on him and here comes Charlie.

These things happen to teams aging faster than they can re-tool. Vzn never critize BB for doing this. We may not agree (ie: McGinnest, et al), but ya gotta keep moving forward.

Sections
Shortcuts