Pats Need BIG Changes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Pats Need BIG Changes

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Aside from the idiot homers like Mighty, who amongst you are satisfied with this latest Patriots' performance...albeit a win? This team has been horrible at home throughout the season, having lost to the powder puff Cardinals, and barely beaten the woeful Jets, and now the hapless Buffalo Bills. The defense can no longer be classify as young and improving. Folks, it stinks, and it's getting worse.

What's happening now with the Pats compares in some ways to the follies occuring in Philadelphia. The only differences are that the Pats have a better OL, and are led by Hall of Fame quality QB, Tom Brady, as opposed to Mr. Overrated, Michael Vick. You may recall that head Philly coach Andy Reid thought it would be a great idea to convert his OC, Juan Castillo, to his DC. The results are in, and Philly's "D" is as bad as the Patriots' crew. Meanwhile, BB has stubbornly insisted on being hands on, and promoting from within. This has wrough DC Matt Patricia, whose been about as successful as Castillo was. Only recently was Castillo sent packing. Both Reid and Vick are sure to follow...as is the story when an underachieving team has what appears will be a double digit loss season.

Tom Brady and his offense are too good for the Pats to win less than 10 games...and the woefully weak AFC East. But, it's time for some BIG, BIG changes on the defensive side of the ball. Does anybody other than Mighty really believe that CB Aqib Talib is going to turn the Pats' "D" around? Patricia must go...and must go NOW! BB needs to find a veteran coordinator to turn his "D" over to...and then needs to walk away.

In Houston, the Texans were having the same gross defensive issues that the Pats are now having. Their solution was to hire DC Wade Phillips in 2011. Almost immediately, there was major improvement...to the present point now, in which the Texans have perhaps the best defense in the game. In Pittsburgh, Dick LeBeau has ruled the defensive roost for over a decade. The result? The Steelers have been one of the top defensive teams in the game over that time.  

Folks, it's not just about talent. It's about getting the most out of your talent, and putting your talent in an aggressive, attacking-type system, that forces turnovers. When is the last time we've been able to describe a Patriots' defense as such?

I was going to do a Report Card on yesterday's game, because this week, I have some time to do so. But, it would be a waste of time. The offense would average a "B+ to an A-". while the defense would be an "F".  The coaching would be a "C-", reflecting the averaging of the offense, special teams, and defense...with the "D" dramatically bringing down the grade. Buffalo had 35 first downs yesterday, and nearly 500 yards of total offense.

What was really revealing about how bad the "D" was yesterday were the actions of Tom Brady, after his "O" was forced to settle for a FG, and a 37-31 lead...giving the Bills over 2 minutes and two time-outs to navigate the field for another TD drive. Brady went to the bench, removed his helmet, and threw his hands over his face, as if the Pats had lost. That's how much confidence he had in his "D". Who could blame him?             

Don't tell any of this to Rusty and His Mighty Minions!

i have been writng abouthte need for the pats to hire the best coaches in the league and why it hastn happened (one of bb's personality failings insecurity of having coaches as smart as him with the team) and the need for a real gm, again one of the best in the league (oneof he better franchises deserves it), to balance bb. it takes the best team of management talent. one man aint enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

• BabeParilli
    • First: 05/29/2008
    • Last: 11/12/2012

I've been saying this for YEARS. BB promotes "never done nuthin'" yes men to key positions. If you want to be the best, get the best! But I'm afraid BB doesn't want to share power.

But I think it's more than just poor coaches. The talent is lacking as well, or some of these busts he has sent packing would do something elsewhere.

This shows from the draft. 12 of 16 first or second round draft picks  spent on D since 2008 for this joke we see every Sunday?

I have proposed BB as an average or maybe a just better than average GM and been castigated for it.

But it's good to see some more fans finally getting it.

Somebody smart besides BB needs to have a big say on draft decisions and coaching personnel decisions.

Without Brady the last decade plus, this would have been a dismal era.

Remember, the very best teams over this period had a slew of key guys, especially on D, that BB inherited.

This is what this board has come down to. Guys like Babe proclaiming that BB inherited his SB teams and a few guys agreeing with him.

Meanwhile we have been to 5 SB's and won more games then any team IN NFL HISTORY over a 12 year period......but he is an average GM, and as Prolate says, "doesn't have talent on the roster" or whatever.

It's a joke. An absolute joke. Either trolls/fans of other teams or just don't get it. 1 or the other.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Remember, the very best teams over this period had a slew of key guys, especially on D, that BB inherited.

Not this again.  I've already posted this a zillion times, but here it goes again.  I'll post the simplified version this time.  The starting 11 in the SB on both sides of the ball on the 2003 team featured one guy on offense that BB didn't bring in (Troy Brown) and 3 guys on defense (McGinest, Bruschi, Law).  On the 2004 team the starting 11 on offense were all brought in by BB and only 2 on D were not (McGinest, Bruschi).  

So he definitely was responsbile for the O.  And while Willie Mac, Bruschi and Law were great players, Bobby Hamilton, Ted Washington, Richard Seymour, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Tyrone Poole, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, Roosevelt Colvin, Vince Wilfork, Asante Samuel and Randall Gay is not a bad list either.  BB did plenty to make those D's great both as a coach and GM.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

• BabeParilli

I've been saying this for YEARS. BB promotes "never done nuthin'" yes men to key positions. If you want to be the best, get the best! But I'm afraid BB doesn't want to share power.

But I think it's more than just poor coaches. The talent is lacking as well, or some of these busts he has sent packing would do something elsewhere.

This shows from the draft. 12 of 16 first or second round draft picks  spent on D since 2008 for this joke we see every Sunday?

I have proposed BB as an average or maybe a just better than average GM and been castigated for it.

Somebody smart besides BB needs to have a big say on draft decisions and coaching personnel decisions.

This is what this board has come down to. Guys like Babe proclaiming that BB inherited his SB teams and a few guys agreeing with him.

Meanwhile we have been to 5 SB's and won more games then any team IN NFL HISTORY over a 12 year period......but he is an average GM, and as Prolate says, "doesn't have talent on the roster" or whatever.

It's a joke. An absolute joke. Either trolls/fans of other teams or just don't get it. 1 or the other.

What it has come down to is reality rather than legend.

I didn't say he inherited his SB teams. I said he inherited significant components of them. Get it right.

And yes, there have been 5 SB appearances in 10 seasons. And Brady is the common denominator for those, not BB.

BB has never even sniffed a SB without Brady in any of the 7 seasons as a HC he did not have him. He made the playoffs 14% of the time without Brady.

But with Brady he has gone to the SB 50% of the time and made the playoffs 90% of the time.

Brady along with the core players he inherited won 3 SBs in 4 years. With players not inherited BB has lost 2 SBs.

12 of 16 first or second round picks since 2008 spent on the D by BB and it is one of the worst in the NFL.

You just can't ignore the facts and come off as "getting it" truechamp. Sooner or later spin always withers in the face of substance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

They went to the SB? How'd that turn out?
    They were doing quite well until the offense decided after scoring on the 1st drive of the 3rd quarter that they had done enough.

Oh yeah. The D folded in the last minutes to lose yet another one. I remember now.
    No different than the D in the 2001 and 2003 Super Bowls. The only difference was that Brady had just enough time to pull those games out.

Since Brady has brought them to the SB in 5 of his 10 seasons played, do you think even with a terrible D they always have a chance at getting to the SB as long as they have Brady?
    Sure it helps having a great QB but it takes a whole team not just one guy. The D isn't great but they're not terrible. A terrible D doesn't make it to the Super Bowl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

• BabeParilli

What it has come down to is reality rather than legend.

I didn't say he inherited his SB teams. I said he inherited significant components of them. Get it right.

And yes, there have been 5 SB appearances in 10 seasons. And Brady is the common denominator for those, not BB.

BB has never even sniffed a SB without Brady in any of the 7 seasons as a HC he did not have him. He made the playoffs 14% of the time without Brady.

But with Brady he has gone to the SB 50% of the time and made the playoffs 90% of the time.

Brady along with the core players he inherited won 3 SBs in 4 years. With players not inherited BB has lost 2 SBs.

12 of 16 first or second round picks since 2008 spent on the D by BB and it is one of the worst in the NFL.

You just can't ignore the facts and come off as "getting it" truechamp. Sooner or later spin always withers in the face of substance.

I guess you missed these facts by PCM

"The starting 11 in the SB on both sides of the ball on the 2003 team featured one guy on offense that BB didn't bring in (Troy Brown) and 3 guys on defense (McGinest, Bruschi, Law).  On the 2004 team the starting 11 on offense were all brought in by BB and only 2 on D were not (McGinest, Bruschi)." 

"So he definitely was responsbile for the O.  And while Willie Mac, Bruschi and Law were great players, Bobby Hamilton, Ted Washington, Richard Seymour, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Tyrone Poole, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, Roosevelt Colvin, Vince Wilfork, Asante Samuel and Randall Gay is not a bad list either.  BB did plenty to make those D's great both as a coach and GM."

Babe, you are a Bill Belichick hater with an agenda. You always have been and you always will be. Admittedly it is intelligent troll work on your part but troll work never the less.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Not this again.  I've already posted this a zillion times, but here it goes again.  I'll post the simplified version this time.  The starting 11 in the SB on both sides of the ball on the 2003 team featured one guy on offense that BB didn't bring in (Troy Brown) and 3 guys on defense (McGinest, Bruschi, Law).  On the 2004 team the starting 11 on offense were all brought in by BB and only 2 on D were not (McGinest, Bruschi).  

Willie Mac, Bruschi and Law were great players, but Bobby Hamilton, Ted Washington, Richard Seymour, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Tyrone Poole, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, Roosevelt Colvin, Vince Wilfork, Asante Samuel and Randall Gay is not a bad list either.  BB did plenty to make those D's great both as a coach and GM.

Yes, we have been over this. You were wrong then, and you're wrong now.

Even by 2004, FIVE YEARS IN, an eternity in the NFL, the roster still had Vinatieri, Faulk, Johnson, Bruschi, McGinist and Law making very significant contributions.

So spin away with some list of SB "starters" if you like. But anybody that is reasonable will agree the team still had a lot of key guys that BB did not bring to the table.

When those key guys were finally mostly gone, the Lombardis went with them because the replacements BB was getting just weren't filling the void.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Yep agreed all the way.

We need to fire Bill Belichick asap as his defense is the worst in NFL history.I know this is true beuase I read it on this message board.

He also cannot acquire talent as his offense has been hampered by his inability to land the deep threat that every team in this league absolutely needs in order to score more then 15.5 ppg in the Superbowls.

Also the O-line is terrible, and the running game has sucked for years until we landed future Hall of famers Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden, and Shane Vareen who despite averaging less yards per carry then we did last year are 2nd in the league in attempts.

God I hope Robert Kraft never listens to fans like Prolate,Hurtl,Babe and texas Pat.

Truechamp, you really need to stop by on the Benny appreciation thread that's going on this week, it's got some good stuff in it. You might learn a thing or two. Lol! I think the agenda was concerning blind squirrels and how they occasionally find a nut - yet Benny can't.

Comparing what benny has done on the Bungals to what he did when defense's were keyed in to stop the best QB in the league(Brady) makes no sense.

For example, Benny had more tds then any RB in the league over a 2 year time other then Arian Foster. I'm not positive about that(haven't checked) but I think it is true.

Anybody who speaks negatively of a RB who our coach chose to be our lead back and produced 1,700 yards and 24 tds on 4 ypc average over 2 years needs perspective.

Dude you make me laugh, you really do. 1700 yards over two seasons is a big accomplishment? I mean, yeah I couldn't do it, but Im old. Do you realize what 1700 averages out to over two years? 850 yards!! And that was the highlight of his career right there (that two year period). Try averaging him throughout his entire career....even less appealing. 

Please please stop with "his" touchdown totals. My 60 year old uncle could of fallen into the end zone on most touchdowns. How hard is it to score from the one when you get three tries and defenses are worried about Brady throwing to Gronk? Did Benny ever score from outside the five yard line in his career? 

And the part about speaking negatively when our coach chose him to be our "lead" runner, just cracks me up! Our coach showed him the door after four years of service. How many times did Bill ask him to go out there hurt? Think any of that made Bill want to keep him for sentimental sake?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yep agreed all the way.

We need to fire Bill Belichick asap as his defense is the worst in NFL history.I know this is true beuase I read it on this message board.

He also cannot acquire talent as his offense has been hampered by his inability to land the deep threat that every team in this league absolutely needs in order to score more then 15.5 ppg in the Superbowls.

Also the O-line is terrible, and the running game has sucked for years until we landed future Hall of famers Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden, and Shane Vareen who despite averaging less yards per carry then we did last year are 2nd in the league in attempts.

God I hope Robert Kraft never listens to fans like Prolate,Hurtl,Babe and texas Pat.

Truechamp, you really need to stop by on the Benny appreciation thread that's going on this week, it's got some good stuff in it. You might learn a thing or two. Lol! I think the agenda was concerning blind squirrels and how they occasionally find a nut - yet Benny can't.

Comparing what benny has done on the Bungals to what he did when defense's were keyed in to stop the best QB in the league(Brady) makes no sense.

For example, Benny had more tds then any RB in the league over a 2 year time other then Arian Foster. I'm not positive about that(haven't checked) but I think it is true.

Anybody who speaks negatively of a RB who our coach chose to be our lead back and produced 1,700 yards and 24 tds on 4 ypc average over 2 years needs perspective.

Dude you make me laugh, you really do. 1700 yards over two seasons is a big accomplishment? I mean, yeah I couldn't do it, but Im old. Do you realize what 1700 averages out to over two years? 850 yards!! And that was the highlight of his career right there (that two year period). Try averaging him throughout his entire career....even less appealing. 

Please please stop with "his" touchdown totals. My 60 year old uncle could of fallen into the end zone on most touchdowns. How hard is it to score from the one when you get three tries and defenses are worried about Brady throwing to Gronk? Did Benny ever score from outside the five yard line in his career? 

And the part about speaking negatively when our coach chose him to be our "lead" runner, just cracks me up! Our coach showed him the door after four years of service. How many times did Bill ask him to go out there hurt? Think any of that made Bill want to keep him for sentimental sake?

He averaged 10 carries per game MT. That is how you get 850 yards a year. His contract was up. He was an undrafted FA with minimal talent level.(Hence the problem with the pass heavy offensive philosophy) We drafted 2 RB's in the 2nd anf 3rd rounds to replace him as we knew he would command a salary.

Again if you had perspective, you wouldn't be laughing. You would be crying at how negatively you look at the team that has won the most games in NFL history over a 12 year period.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

The lazy breeze blew just soft enough

To slip through the holes in my window screen

The raindrops pattered

A haunting rhythm

Stirring me from a wistful dream

Peering up through hung-over lids

My eyes strained to focus the world into view

Dark shadows cast

By the jittery leaves

Eclipsed the light that I daydreamed to

Time eased his way into mid-afternoon

While the fretting, disgruntled clouds drifted by

The sun lay back

Upon her horizon

Giving birth to an ever darkening sky

Trembling shudders took over the faces

Of flowers and plants and evergreen trees

A monsoon threatened

To cut off their leaves

And to drown them in torrents of turbulent seas

The thundercloud rocked with unrestrained fury

As if to warn all of an unforeseen doom

The sound beat his way

Through my slim window screen

And assaulted and echoed the walls of my room

The whirling tornado flexed all of his might

To send frightened schoolchildren flocking to cover

But then without hint

Of prophetic insight

The fickle storm quickly, quietly blew over

The oh-twelve Pats may cough up enough

First downs to make a young fanboy scream

But all that mattered

Was a first-place vision

Luring me into a blissful dream

Excerpted from the anthology: "Blow Hard: The Pontificator's Guide to Pointless Pessimism"

© 2012, RandomHouse/Doubleday Publishing, All rights reserved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

The lazy breeze blew just soft enough

To slip through the holes in my window screen

The raindrops pattered

A haunting rhythm

Stirring me from a wistful dream

Peering up through hung-over lids

My eyes strained to focus the world into view

Dark shadows cast

By the jittery leaves

Eclipsed the light that I daydreamed to

Time eased his way into mid-afternoon

While the fretting, disgruntled clouds drifted by

The sun lay back

Upon her horizon

Giving birth to an ever darkening sky

Trembling shudders took over the faces

Of flowers and plants and evergreen trees

A monsoon threatened

To cut off their leaves

And to drown them in torrents of turbulent seas

The thundercloud rocked with unrestrained fury

As if to warn all of an unforeseen doom

The sound beat his way

Through my slim window screen

And assaulted and echoed the walls of my room

The whirling tornado flexed all of his might

To send frightened schoolchildren flocking to cover

But then without hint

Of prophetic insight

The fickle storm quickly, quietly blew over

The oh-twelve Pats may cough up off enough

First downs to make a young fanboy scream

But all that mattered

Was a first-place vision

Luring me into a blissful dream

Excerpted from the anthology: "Blow Hard: The Pontificator's Guide to Pointless Pessimism"

© 2012, RandomHouse/Doubleday Publishing, All rights reserved.

That was deep

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

The D isn't great but they're not terrible. A terrible D doesn't make it to the Super Bowl.

A number of quite bad Ds have made it to the SB. The 2006 Colts' D, the 2008 AZ D and the 2009 Saints D are some that come to mind. Oh, and the 2011 Pats' D.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Yes, we have been over this. You were wrong then, and you're wrong now.

Even by 2004, FIVE YEARS IN, an eternity in the NFL, the roster still had Vinatieri, Faulk, Johnson, Bruschi, McGinist and Law making very significant contributions.

So spin away with some list of SB "starters" if you like. But anybody that is reasonable will agree the team still had a lot of key guys that BB did not bring to the table.

When those key guys were finally mostly gone, the Lombardis went with them because the replacements BB was getting just weren't filling the void.

Dude are you serious?  Are you really going to deny that all of the defensive players I listed weren't instrumental in us bringing home 3 Lombardis?  Seriously?  Because that's what you have to believe to make the argument you are making. Do you believe that Bobby Hamilton, Ted Washington, Richard Seymour, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Tyrone Poole, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, Roosevelt Colvin, Vince Wilfork, Asante Samuel and Randall Gay were JAGs who were carried by Law, Bruschi and McGinest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, so, his numbers with the Pats were inflated because they were keying on Brady. That explains why he is so wretched in Cincy. Good point truechamp.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No different than the D in the 2001 and 2003 Super Bowls. The only difference was that Brady had just enough time to pull those games out.

Wag the dog much to try to spin your point?

The 2001 SB D....

(with Ty Law, one of those non BB guys making the big play)

provided over 1/3 of the total team scoring with his pick six!

They held one of the greatest offenses in history to 17 points and rendered Warner a 78 passer, picking off 2 of his passes.

The 2011 D couldn't get a single turnover and let Eli lay a 104 passer rating on them.

Don't even mention those two defenses in the same breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 2003 SB D.......

did allow a couple of big plays in the 4th quarter which ultimately TIED the game.

That's a far cry from the 2011 D allowing a score and forcing the offense to have to get a TD to prevent the loss.

Trying to say the timing was the "only difference" between the 2001/4004 Ds and the 2011 D is ridiculous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Babe, the defense in the 2001 Super Bowl was one of the best performances ever. My point is, even good defenses give up leads, it's no surprise the 2011 Pats D did too. The Giants made less mistakes in the 2011 Super Bowl. That's why they won, not because of the Pats defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Yep agreed all the way.

Where are you getting this stat?

2011 Pats ran for 4.0.

2012 Pats are running at 4.3.

Source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Well, I kind of disagree. I think it is more the players than coaching, because I really can't see Belichick allowing the coaching to be that bad on his team. I heard today that last year he basically took over the defensive resposibilities - so maybe some of it is coaching, but we got some bad players here on this defense. How they got here and became starters, I don't know, but as that little girl said in Poltergiest....They're hereeeeeer!!

Gregory should not be a starter, yet he is. Kyle Love, for a guy his size cannot hold his ground on running plays. Brace is a total bust. Deaderick has become invisible. Chung (when he plays) is bad in coverage and not big and strong enough to play in the box. Cunningham can only rush head on because he has no moves what so ever. Ninckovich should be coming off the bench as a sub player. Mayo is totally numb in coverage - I don't think you'll find so many guys that is that fast, that are so clueless in coverage. Hightower really really needs to wake up - he is playing like Andy Katzenmoyer did...not using his hands, getting locked up on blocks, playing like he's a 225 pound linebacker rather than the 260 pounder he is. I know McCourty saved the day for us yesterday, but he is playing safety because he's not very good at corner. Wilson is playing like a 5th round pick (the round he should of went in).

We needed all these guys to play how the guy that brought them in thought they could - because right now they aren't. This is the NFL, they're getting paid to perform, they are all playing like backups. Why the hell can't we start Scott or Bequette over Nincovich? You telling me he is better than these two guys, because if he is then the guy that is signing and drafting these guys needs to step down.

And after all the resources that the Pats have tried to throw into this supposedly "revamped" defense, here we are hoping that a headcase cornerback, acquired in mid-season with a 4th round draft pick, coming off a drug suspension, is somehow going to turn this season after season groundhog day bad defense around.

As a PS, is Bequette even on the roster? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Well, I kind of disagree. I think it is more the players than coaching, because I really can't see Belichick allowing the coaching to be that bad on his team. I heard today that last year he basically took over the defensive resposibilities - so maybe some of it is coaching, but we got some bad players here on this defense. How they got here and became starters, I don't know, but as that little girl said in Poltergiest....They're hereeeeeer!!

RESPONSE: I don't buy it. I watched the Steelers tonight...and I don't see a great difference between their talent on "D", and what the Pats have. Both teams have suspect secondaries. But, the Steelers put pressure on opposing offenses with their blitz packages...especially on 3rd and long. Their defensive schemes appear to be superior to the Pats' ultra conservative "bend but don't break"...and their defense appears to be better coached. Dick LeBeau gets the most out of his talent. Matt Patricia is another Dean Pees.

Gregory should not be a starter, yet he is. Kyle Love, for a guy his size cannot hold his ground on running plays. Brace is a total bust. Deaderick has become invisible. Chung (when he plays) is bad in coverage and not big and strong enough to play in the box. Cunningham can only rush head on because he has no moves what so ever. Ninckovich should be coming off the bench as a sub player. Mayo is totally numb in coverage - I don't think you'll find so many guys that is that fast, that are so clueless in coverage. Hightower really really needs to wake up - he is playing like Andy Katzenmoyer did...not using his hands, getting locked up on blocks, playing like he's a 225 pound linebacker rather than the 260 pounder he is. I know McCourty saved the day for us yesterday, but he is playing safety because he's not very good at corner. Wilson is playing like a 5th round pick (the round he should of went in).

RESPONSE: Not buying it. Until yesterday, the Pats were shutting down the run. If a guy like LeBeau had players like Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Wilfolk, and Jones, they'd be much more effective. The defensive scheme in New England stinks. It turns potential playmakers like those mentioned above into passive manikens, playing zone type coverage...instead of attacking. 

We needed all these guys to play how the guy that brought them in thought they could - because right now they aren't. This is the NFL, they're getting paid to perform, they are all playing like backups. Why the hell can't we start Scott or Bequette over Nincovich? You telling me he is better than these two guys, because if he is then the guy that is signing and drafting these guys needs to step down.

RESPONSE: Again...it's a coaches job to get the most out of his talent. That's not happening on the defensive side of the ball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I'm sick and tired of ignorant homers like TrueChamp, Mighty, and Wozzy, who whine and mock anyone who dares criticize the Pats. How could anyone in their right mind (well...I guess I answered my own question, as those three idiots don't have a brain among them) not find fault with that awful Patriots' defense?

Hey Champ...where did I say that the Patriots should fire BB? Typical homer whine, whenever the Pats are criticized. I said that the Pats need a quality DC...and they do...and have now for the past several years! BB can't run the whole show by himself.

For whatever reason, the current coaching staff is not getting the most out of their talent, on the defensive side of the ball. The Pats have too many talented pieces on defense to play as poorly as they have this season. 

But...according to Wozzy, Champ, and Mighty, giving up 35 first downs and almost 500 total yards to the Ryan Fitzpatrick led, 3-6 Buffalo Bills is a solid days' work...LOL!!!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

You guys were saying the same thing last year and yet they went to the Super Bowl. Every team is average. Every team is flawed. Any team can win any game. The sooner you guys figure that out the better. It will make watching the games a whole lot easier.

They don't get it. The first time they watched a Pats season was 2007, so they think every season should look like that. Trending up, peaking at the right time, etc, are concepts they don't get.

They also have no idea that the league favors offenses and makes it harder on defenses.

No trending up and peaking at the right time are the keys to winning the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, the Patriots have not peaked at the right time since 2004...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: I don't buy it. I watched the Steelers tonight...and I don't see a great difference between their talent on "D", and what the Pats have. Both teams have suspect secondaries. But, the Steelers put pressure on opposing offenses with their blitz packages...especially on 3rd and long. Their defensive schemes appear to be superior to the Pats' ultra conservative "bend but don't break"...and their defense appears to be better coached. Dick LeBeau gets the most out of his talent. Matt Patricia is another Dean Pees.

RESPONSE: Not buying it. Until yesterday, the Pats were shutting down the run. If a guy like LeBeau had players like Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Wilfolk, and Jones, they'd be much more effective. The defensive scheme in New England stinks. It turns potential playmakers like those mentioned above into passive manikens, playing zone type coverage...instead of attacking. 

RESPONSE: Again...it's a coaches job to get the most out of his talent. That's not happening on the defensive side of the ball.

However, I have started to question whether BB can still coach defense in the new NFL. I get that the rules are skewed towards offense, but half of the NFL is still giving up fewer points and three-quarters of the league is giving up fewer yards. 

They have definitely taken full advantage of rules changes on offense, but maybe, just maybe BB had not figured out how to coach defense when DBs are not allowed to be as physical as they were when this team was winning championships.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Norger's comment:

And after all the resources that the Pats have tried to throw into this supposedly "revamped" defense, here we are hoping that a headcase cornerback, acquired in mid-season with a 4th round draft pick, coming off a drug suspension, is somehow going to turn this season after season groundhog day bad defense around.

As a PS, is Bequette even on the roster? 

"somehow going to turn this season after season groundhog day bad defense around."

love the groundhog reference, apt

worse hes injured.

injured?

hes played a handful of downs.

bb feels he needs soem deveolopmen before he wants him on the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Tex,

(mthurl)

(tex)

RESPONSE: I don't buy it. I watched the Steelers tonight...and I don't see a great difference between their talent on "D", and what the Pats have. Both teams have suspect secondaries. But, the Steelers put pressure on opposing offenses with their blitz packages...especially on 3rd and long. Their defensive schemes appear to be superior to the Pats' ultra conservative "bend but don't break"..

(bred)

ive been saying this for some years as well and begging for a change

.and their defense appears to be better coached. Dick LeBeau gets the most out of his talent. Matt Patricia is another Dean Pees.

patricia only does what bb tells him

agreed. again repeating myself for a while. most on this board only hate on those that observe things they cannot. also call it being negative by observing football and writng about it.

nor the offensive with josh. though hes gotten better lately, he still falters in critical situations and in the 4th quarter. (because we score points with the best offense in the league, does not mean that the coaching could be much better).

Sections
Shortcuts