Pats Need to Pay Wilfork!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from payingfan. Show payingfan's posts

Pats Need to Pay Wilfork!

With Vince on the last year of his contract, it's time for Mr. Kraft to open up the checkbook and Pay Vince what he wants.  Wilfork is the best NT in the league and should be paid like it.  I can't help but think that eventually Vince will start dogging it because he hasn't gotten paid.  As much as I hated seeing Seymour's departure, it's time to put that money to work and make Vince Happy!

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillsHoody. Show BillsHoody's posts

Re: Pats Need to Pay Wilfork!

In Response to Pats Need to Pay Wilfork!:
    [QUOTE]With Vince on the last year of his contract, it's time for Mr. Kraft to open up the checkbook and Pay Vince what he wants.  Wilfork is the best NT in the league and should be paid like it.  I can't help but think that eventually Vince will start dogging it because he hasn't gotten paid.  As much as I hated seeing Seymour's departure, it's time to put that money to work and make Vince Happy! Thoughts?
    Posted by payingfan[/QUOTE]

I agree the Pats definatly need wilfork, with Seymour gone especially. It may be Kraft's checkbook but its up to Bill to forge the signiture. I think it will get done, bill loves the 3-4 and knows u need a good NT for that. wilfork is the best in the game and i think using seymour's $ to re-sign vince was one of the motivating factors behind that trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

[QUOTE]With Vince on the last year of his contract, it's time for Mr. Kraft to open up the checkbook and Pay Vince what he wants.  Wilfork is the best NT in the league and should be paid like it.  I can't help but think that eventually Vince will start dogging it because he hasn't gotten paid.  As much as I hated seeing Seymour's departure, it's time to put that money to work and make Vince Happy! Thoughts?

First, is it a good buisiness decision to "pay Wilfork what he wants."  I mean, should the Pats just cave in and throw money at Wilfork?  When have they done that with any other player?

Second, do the Pats even have enough cap space to sign Wilfork to a long term deal right now?  Any new deal could create or eat up cap space and if you drop his first year's salary then Wilfork will want a lot more in the following years which eats up cap space in the future.

Third, why would a player in his last year of a contract start dogging it?  How does that help him get a large payday?  That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.  If anything, Wilfork will play as hard as he can to show the leage he deserves his huge payday.  I don't see Wilfork dogging it.

Last but not least, the Pats can franchise Wilfork and trade him or work out a long term deal after the season.  Maybe the Pats are making a huge mistake by not signing Wilfork and being stupid/cheap or maybe Wilfork is outrageous with his contract demands.  Since we are not in the room during any negotiations we can only speculate and assume.  You know what they say when you assume!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

How much is he asking for?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I think he needs to get paid but NNNNNNOOOOO way does he start dogging it! If the Pats and Vince can't get a deal done then he will be playing to get a big contract from another team. If you want to get a big contract from another team then you don't start dogging it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillsHoody. Show BillsHoody's posts

Wilfork will not be "dogging" it. As far as paying him, i think the pats should definatly attempt to get him to a long term deal, obviously the pats wont give him the dollar amount he WANTS but they should definatly be willing to give him a bump, he IS our defensive line. If not then i see him being franchised.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_439198. Show user_439198's posts

n Response to Pats Need to Pay Wilfork!:

The problem is Vince does not want to be paid as the best NT in the league. He wants to be paid like the best DT in the league. 2 different position.that is the disconnect.If vince says payme as a NT his contract will be done by now.
    I do not think he will sign now with so close to FA.He also know if he is franchised some team will trade 2 first rd for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree, but they do it only on the Pats terms not Wilforks.  That just how they do it down there.  I have a feeling - they will use their franchise tag on him next year - and he'll prob won't be back the following year.  Just my thoughts on it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jedi33. Show Jedi33's posts

i would like to know why they havent signed him yet , Hes not looking for hainesworth type  money  hes mentiod that befre they should lock him up

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Need to Pay Wilfork!:
    [QUOTE]n Response to Pats Need to Pay Wilfork! : The problem is Vince does not want to be paid as the best NT in the league. He wants to be paid like the best DT in the league. 2 different position.that is the disconnect.If vince says payme as a NT his contract will be done by now. I do not think he will sign now with so close to FA.He also know if he is franchised some team will trade 2 first rd for him.
    Posted by msatz76[/QUOTE]

From where did you hear that? Wilfork has played majority of his games as a NT in a 3-4 defense. We only started playing 4-3 more from this year on. So, from where did you hear that Wilfork thinks he is the best DT in the league? Moreover, Wilfork said openly that he doesn't want a contract as a best anything (NT, DT or a DE). He only wants know that Pats acknowledge his value with a better contract.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

He's definitely not after Haynesworth dollars, and the cap space issue is a twist because there is no cap in place for the 2011 season, yet.

I think the likely plan will be franchise tag for a season and then long-term deal once the league-wide cap issue is settled.

Of course, Bianca is going to have her say on this too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Yeh but what is Wilfork contract?  if it is 5 years and next year is an uncapped year, I think his contract extends to 6 years, so they will not have to franchise him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I agree with the importance of signing him but the Pats will do what is in the best interest of the team long term as well. With no cap agreement in place and a good probability of a lockout they will wait it out. Not to mention Mankins, Ghost, Brady all need and want new deals..........worst case for Vince ......sign Brady and Mankins and franchise Vince..........Watson and Maroney's time are up too ............I am not saying sign them instead of Vince but these are other things you have to look at.............I love the guy and hope they sign him but I won't hold my breath.........I learned that along time ago with a guy named Curtis Martin...........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

[QUOTE]Yeh but what is Wilfork contract?  if it is 5 years and next year is an uncapped year, I think his contract extends to 6 years, so they will not have to franchise him.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

OOps he is in his 6th year WOW time flies.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

VW is a UFA for the 2010 season, which is uncapped.  I put 2011 by mistake.  2011 is the potential lockout season . . .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

Jarvis Green is also up after this year too, right?  Could be an interesting choice, with Wright and Warren locked in for the near future, and having to choose between Wilfork and Green, who will no doubt be cheaper.  Thankfully, if you want Wilfork around long-term like I do, Ron Brace is not developing too quickly at this point.  But, Pryor looks to have a future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I see no benefit in tying up Wilfork for a long term contract this year. There could be a new collective bargaining agreement next year. To sign him up now, not knowing what and expected change might bring makes zero sense.

Vince is a star, he will not and has not dogged it. By not "paying" him he is working for his contract, this is a big incentive to produce. We have plenty of time to sign Vince, "if we want to".

There is no rush here, which is why there is no movement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think they will wait until they know whether 2010 is uncapped or not to extend him.  If 2010 is uncapped, I suspect Wilfork will get a deal that will make him happy.  Not that Kraft will break the bank on him, but he will pay his key players what they are worth.  We also have two franchise tags in an uncapped year.

Then again, this is the Pats so we shouldn't assume Wilfork is viewed as being critical to the team.  We've been shown time and time again how they can move on after losing anyone.  However good they may be at that though, it did bite the Pats in the behind twice.  They didn't have an answer for Branch's departure and they didn't have an answer for Samuel's departure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Well for one, if we paid everyone what they wanted then we would be the Redskins.....

He should be paid for what he is worth.....and be happy with that and being on a winning team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Yeh but what is Wilfork contract?  if it is 5 years and next year is an uncapped year, I think his contract extends to 6 years, so they will not have to franchise him.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

I believe that you are correct.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"Of course, Bianca is going to have her say on this too."

I think she will be pushing for a huge raise more than Wilfork will be.

Since she is from Florida, she may have the same feelings about a hometown discount as Seymour ("hometown discount? I'm from South Carolina.")

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Wilfork will get his money just like Seymour did when he was top dog on the line. They will most likely franchise him if they don't don't get something worked out but he is going to be around. That's a big part of the reason they traded Seymour.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

A friend at Gilette this week. Wilfork looks just fine and happy

www.myexperiencephoto.com/storage/events/642_patriots6539816370187/642_patriots6539816370187.jpg" alt="" />

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I was kind of hoping that Brace was going to make this decision a little easier, but so far he has not shown up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I predict the team will continue to challenge for a Super Bowl with or without Wilfork and as long a Brady remains healthy and productive.

Sections
Shortcuts