Pats NEED to sign Heyward-Bey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Pats NEED to sign Heyward-Bey

In response to bobbysu's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

1 reciever with TOP flight speed will screw a Defense more than any slot reciever. Ravens did it last year to their advantage. You also have to run the ball, to make it work. Play-action.

Didn't work with Tate. You need both a QB with a strong accurant deep ball and a WR who can adjust to the ball and fight for it deep, Balt had both. Brady's deep ball touch has been losing its touch slowly the last couple of years and Bey doesn't adjust well when the balls in the air. That's one major thing that makes a difference between Moss and Bey was Moss can adjust to the ball

You want to argue. OK

not much to argue, just being fast does nothing. Plenty of fast WRs in the league that put up decent numbers but you need the right combo and Brady isn't the right deep ball thrower anymore and Bey doesn't track and adjust to balls to make up for Brady's deminising deep ball. Trying to compare Bey to Moss and Morgan?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Brady2Amendola's comment:

Could be our next Randy Moss 

oh boy.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Sure why not, what do the Pats have to lose. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

oh boy.....

If you didnt notice I later said "Im not saying 23 TDs but hes that type of player" below average rout runner but a deep threat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

oh boy.....

If you didnt notice I later said "Im not saying 23 TDs but hes that type of player" below average rout runner but a deep threat.

yes i noticed...no he is not that type of player-randy moss is gonna walk into canton

why not compare him to jerry rice?

u can think he is a good safe pick up and i agree but those other statements....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Heyward Bey has no hands.

Watched many Raider games out here and experienced the anti-Heyward-Bey fan reaction.  He was the 7th pick in the 2009 draft but never did anything.  The dude is fast, but just can't catch or hold onto the ball.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

yeah, but he's a couple inches shorter than Moss, but has da speed. might be worth looking at him, the last WR we got from Oakland was pretty good for us for a couple years

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

oh boy.....

yes i noticed...no he is not that type of player-randy moss is gonna walk into canton

why not compare him to jerry rice?

u can think he is a good safe pick up and i agree but those other statements....

Definetly not as good but they have the same STYLE deep threats who cant run routs 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

1 reciever with TOP flight speed will screw a Defense more than any slot reciever. Ravens did it last year to their advantage. You also have to run the ball, to make it work. Play-action.

Didn't work with Tate. You need both a QB with a strong accurate deep ball and a WR who can adjust to the ball and fight for it deep, Balt had both. Brady's deep ball touch has been losing its touch slowly the last couple of years and Bey doesn't adjust well when the balls in the air. That's one major thing that makes a difference between Moss and Bey was Moss can adjust to the ball 

Truth

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Please no comparisons to moss. Just because dhb can run fast doesn't make him even close to moss. Moss at his prime and even a tad older when he joined the pats was a very special player. Once in a generation special. He could catch anything near him and did so so effortlessly. I would be open to bringing in dhb at a reasonable cost to see hat he has. It couldn't hurt and perhaps we get something. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

wouldn't be bad to bring into camp along with nelson and let them fight for a roater spot, especially if we can get da'rick rogers in the draft.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I would compare Heyward-Bey to Mike Wallace more than Moss. Same speed, neither great route runners. He did suffer a terrible concussion this past year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L5w6YLoPJE

Anyway, he's better than David Nelson or the pharaoh from the NYG.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree with Eng about fast not being enough when it comes to receivers.  I'm not quite as convinced that Brady's deep ball is bad.  Part of the problem is he hasn't had a good deep receiver who can adjust to the ball in a long, long time.  A lot of QBs with good deep balls also have good deep receivers who adjust well and make the QBs' passes look more accurate.  I'd like to see Brady with a decent deep receiver before I judge him.  Remember Stallworth against the Texans?  All of a sudden a deep pass worked . . . . maybe it had more to do with the receiver than the QB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

His hands are indeed an issue.  The guy can't catch.  He drops balls often.  He'll drive fans crazy here and he probably wouldn't last anyway because BB would cut him.  It would be more fuel to the fire for those who argue about FAs that don't make the team.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I see him as a guy you bring in and kick the tires on, but don't make any significant financial commitment to, because you may cut him in camp. 

He should have been a 7th round pick, not the 7th pick . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

His hands are indeed an issue.  The guy can't catch.  He drops balls often.  He'll drive fans crazy here and he probably wouldn't last anyway because BB would cut him.  It would be more fuel to the fire for those who argue about FAs that don't make the team.  

[QUOTE]

It's interesting how perception becomes reality, when the truth is something entirely different...

Quote from this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1022657-why-darrius-heyward-bey-will-make-his-fist-pro-bowl-in-2012

"Darrius Heyward-Bey's improved hands are the most important improvement he has made, because without it, nothing else matters. He was embarrassing in his rookie campaign, dropping passes and unnecessarily jumping for passes at times.

Then in 2010, his second year, he started to look like a decent receiver, with a drop percentage of only 10.3 percent.

In 2011, he drastically improved that, cutting his drop percentage in half to 5.3 percent, and three of those drops were in one horrible quarter.

In fact, that 5.3 drop percentage has him in the top percentile of NFL receivers."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Speaking of drops, check this out and note Welker vs. Amendola.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

It's interesting how perception becomes reality, when the truth is something entirely different...

From this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1022657-why-darrius-heyward-bey-will-make-his-fist-pro-bowl-in-2012

"Darrius Heyward-Bey's improved hands are the most important improvement he has made, because without it, nothing else matters. He was embarrassing in his rookie campaign, dropping passes and unnecessarily jumping for passes at times.

Then in 2010, his second year, he started to look like a decent receiver, with a drop percentage of only 10.3 percent.

In 2011, he drastically improved that, cutting his drop percentage in half to 5.3 percent, and three of those drops were in one horrible quarter.

In fact, that 5.3 drop percentage has him in the top percentile of NFL receivers."

you beat me to it Muz--I was reading the same about him --in 2011 he put up numbers comparable to what LLoyd did here (approx 65/975-4 TD') so you'd be taking a low risk gamble on a young guy who is 6'2" 212 with major speed---why not?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

...In 2011, he drastically improved that, cutting his drop percentage in half to 5.3 percent, and three of those drops were in one horrible quarter.

you beat me to it Muz--I was reading the same about him --in 2011 he put up numbers comparable to what LLoyd did here (approx 65/975-4 TD') so you'd be taking a low risk gamble on a young guy who is 6'2" 212 with major speed---why not?

Agree completely, the guy has speed and size and has played pretty well for a lousy team. Plus, he seems to care.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

...In 2011, he drastically improved that, cutting his drop percentage in half to 5.3 percent, and three of those drops were in one horrible quarter.

Agree completely, the guy has speed and size and has played pretty well for a lousy team. Plus, he seems to care.   

Facts are always better than perception.  He is not perfect but could get two more contracts.  Raven's fans have been trying to convince themselves that because he went to Maryland that he will go to Baltimore.  He could be a low-risk high reward signing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

I agree bring him in for a visit at least, I think he is a type of receiver that the patriots haven't had the past couple of years and could add a different type of dimension to the offense. Of course I’m talking about a bargain contract though.

And I have to respectfully disagree with the talk of Brady's deep ball downfall. He has 5'9 receivers with short arms that are quicker than fast or he's throwing to guys like Slater or Edelman who run a deep route once every 4 games. So how much deep ball chemistry could he really have?

It's a split half QB half receiver on a deep ball, the receiver has to make a good catch and the QB has to put the ball in a spot where the receiver can get it. Brady usually does the distance, but his receivers can't get there, he misjudges their speed (or lack thereof), and the receivers rarely ever make a nice play on the ball (like Vereen did in the playoff game).

Just my thoughts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

While Moss' greatest strength was his speed, he was also a very smart receiver and knew how to attack the ball while it was in the air.

Saying DHB is like Moss because theyre just deep threats is a disservice to Moss

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

wouldn't be bad to bring into camp along with nelson and let them fight for a roater spot, especially if we can get da'rick rogers in the draft.

indeed.

(salivatign for hopkins/ rogers) for a few months).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Heyward Bey has no hands.

Watched many Raider games out here and experienced the anti-Heyward-Bey fan reaction.  He was the 7th pick in the 2009 draft but never did anything.  The dude is fast, but just can't catch or hold onto the ball.  

thi swas my readtion tho the name as well