Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense

Hello, my friends!! Missed you-all!! 

Sorry to return with such a thud, but the Patriots have done nothing this off-season to improve their chances of regaining the cat-bird's seat in the AFC. Here is a recent, rosy article written by Christopher Gasper of the Globe...with my comments dispersed therein: 

"We're now a week into NFL free agency and the Patriots have been polishing up their return game.

RESPONSE: I wish. The return game is one of the many areas of need that the Pats have totally failed to address thus far.

Their motto: No change is good.

RESPONSE: Considering how the Pats ended last season, I fail to see how no change is a good thing.

The status quo has elicited a lot of woe from Patriots fans and pigskin prognosticators who have been disappointed by the team's retention strategy following a 10-6 season and an ignominious first-round playoff defeat. The constant complaint as the Patriots have re-signed their own free agents -- nose tackle Vince Wilfork, cornerback Leigh Bodden, linebacker Tully Banta-Cain, right guard Stephen Neal and running back Kevin Faulk -- without making a major addition from outside is that the Patriots haven't gotten any better.

RESPONSE: Here I must join those in the "woe" column.

Well, they certainly haven't gotten any worse, so that would mean they're still the best team in the AFC East then, right?

RESPONSE: Considering that the Patriots have absolutely nothing at TE... re-signed a mediocre, injury plagued, 33 year old guard who was on the verge of retiring...have primarily an ancient stable of RBs...still have no 3rd option at WR...still lack a premiere pass-rusher...have no offensive or defensive coordinator...still are depending on OTs Nick Kaczur or the aging Matt Light...and will play the 2010 season without Wes Welker...I fail to see how the Patriots have even maintained the not so great status quo. 

There is no doubt that last year was disappointing for the Patriots, but that doesn't mean that any player associated with last year's underwhelming product was part of the problem. What the Patriots have done is sign five starters in free agency; Faulk doesn't start, but according to Pro Football Focus he played more snaps at running back than any Patriot last season.

RESPONSE: Faulk has been a great player for the Pats. But, he showed signs of slowing down last year...not so surprising for a 34 year old 3rd down back.

Winning the publicity game in March and April is fun, but it doesn't translate to winning football games in the fall. The undisputed winners in last year's off-season were the Washington Redskins, New York Giants and Chicago Bears. The Redskins got the market's premier free agent in defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. The Giants signed linebacker Michael Boley and defensive linemen Chris Canty and Rocky Bernard for approximately $83 million. The Bears traded for quarterback Jay Cutler. All three teams also got to watch the playoffs on television because none of them posted a winning record.

RESPONSE: Agreed.

There is reason to believe Patriots coach Bill Belichick's brood will put out a better brand of football in 2010 without a major retooling.

The locker room unrest that plagued the Patriots last year was real and a real problem. The feeling was that the team wouldn't pay for its own players. There is no way any player in that locker room can feel that way now, after the Patriots shelled out more than $83 million to bring back their fab five. Wilfork has already vowed to take a more vocal leadership role.

RESPONSE: Though there is some truth to this paragraph, winning breeds locker room harmony. Losing to every quality team that the Pats' face certainly didn't help. Chief malcontent Adalius Thomas remains on the team. The Pats know that if/when they release him, he'll be wearing the green and white of their chief divisional rival. 

Tom Brady can and will play better. Brady was coming off his torn anterior cruciate ligament injury and battled a bad shoulder and a debilitating rib injury during the season. Despite dealing with a play calling setup that at times appeared dysfunctional, having no third option in the passing game and looking a little out of sync with his injuries, he still managed to throw for 4,398 yards and 28 touchdowns, with 13 interceptions.

RESPONSE: Yes...Tom Brady can play better. But, Tom still lacks an experienced offensive coordinator. Without Wes Welker, still without a 3rd WR, without a competent TE, with an aging backfield, and an overrated OL...I find it hard to believe that he will play better...and expect that he'll take another physical pounding. 

Brady will show more improvement from last year to this one than Jets QB and Brady wannabe Mark Sanchez.

RESPONSE: Point taken as to Sanchez. Though just 23, he's already experiencing fairly serious knee problems. But, how good will he be if the Jets manage to add WR Brandon Marshall, at a reasonable price?

Look at former Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, who was more consistent and NFL-ready as a rookie than Sanchez, but slightly regressed as a sophomore. Ryan's completion percentage, yards per pass and quarterback rating all dipped, while his sacks and interceptions rose. After leading the Falcons to the playoffs in his debut season, Matty Ice was on ice for the postseason last year.

RESPONSE: The Falcons didn't have the OL or the defense that the Jets currently possess.

Speaking of sophomore slides, Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo, the 2008 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, took a step back last season after he suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee in the season-opener. Mayo rushed back too soon. He is too good and too dedicated not to make a bigger impact in 2010.

RESPONSE: This remains to be seen. Mayo is a good player...but he's no Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis.

There is no doubt the Patriots still have work to do. The cupboard is barren at tight end, although there are no tears over Benjamin Watson taking the Continental shuttle to Cleveland. Keep an eye on senior football adviser Floyd Reese trying to convince Belichick to pry first-round tendered restricted free agent tight end Bo Scaife, whom Reese drafted in Tennessee, away from the Titans.

RESPONSE: Agree on the overrated Watson. But, he's better than what they have now...which is nothing. Its' absurd to think that the Pats would trade a high draft pick for Bo Scaife...and then sign him for big money. Look for the Pats to make a play for Bears TE, Greg Olsen...or to use a high draft choice on a TE.

The pass rush still needs an upgrade, and wide receiver Wes Welker, arguably the team's most invaluable offensive weapon, is likely to start the season on the physically unable to perform list recovering from a torn knee ligament. That's why a trade for Anquan Boldin would have been great. However, there was no way the Patriots could have given Boldin the three-year extension he got from the Ravens and told Randy Moss, who is already convinced the team won't pay him, to sit tight in the final year of his deal."

RESPONSE: Why not??...and stop blaming Randy Moss for everything that doesn't go right for this team!! Getting Boldin would have solved a ton of problems. His presence would have energized Tom Brady, taken a ton of pressure off Moss, somewhat soothed the Welker loss, and would have prevented the WR needy Ravens from getting him. If Moss was chaffed by such a move, the Pats could have placated him by extending his contract (remember, this is an uncapped year)! Instead, they let the AFC rival Ravens steal him from the Cards.

As of yet, there is no earth-shattering AFC East acquisition that has pushed the Patriots to the back of the pack. Yes, the Jets traded for cornerback Antonio Cromartie, but Cromartie is two years removed from his All-Pro 2007 season, when he led the NFL interceptions with 10. In the two seasons since, he has as many interceptions as states his seven children live in -- five.

RESPONSE: Considering that the Jets risked little to get Cromartie, it seems to be a great gamble. I don't understand why the Chargers would do anything to help an AFC rival that just beat them in the play-offs. Remember, the Jets will get star NT Kris Jenkins, and game-breaker Leon Washington back in 2010. That said, I don't understand why they decided to let RB Thomas Jones go, and replace him with the declining LT.   

The Dolphins, fittingly, made a splash in free agency, signing inside linebacker Karlos Dansby. However, they still have a pedestrian group of pass catchers, despite the way the Patriots portrayed them during their 22-21 loss to the Dolphins in December. Running back Ricky Willams will be 33 this season, an age when running backs traditionally fall off the cliff, no matter how spiritually-inclined they may be, and Miami's pass rush could take a hit if Jason Taylor and his seven sacks don't return to help take the pressure off CFL find Cameron Wake.

RESPONSE: The Dolphins did well adding Dansby, and rolling dice on CFL sack-master, Cameron Wake. RB Ronnie Brown returns. Though fellow RB Ricky Williams is 33, how old are Kevin Faulk, Fred Taylor, and Sammy Morris?

The more things don't change for the Patriots the more they remain the same in the AFC East, which isn't as bad as you might think. 

RESPONSE: Sorry...no sale. Had the Pats added Bolden, I would have felt much better about their prospects. I don't think I can take another year of watching Sam Aiken lumbering through pass patterns. Why didn't they bring back Donte' Stallworth on a one year deal...instead of letting him sign such a deal with the Ravens? 

What Gasper and the Pats seem to fail to realize is that Tom Brady turns 33 next season, and won't be around forever. A franchise QB of his ilk is indeed a rare commodity. Stop wasting him!! The Pats should endeavor to fortify their OL, and surround Tom with weapons...like they did in 2007. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense

Like in 2007, wait until September rolls around.

At this point in 2007, we did not have Welker or Moss on our roster. I bet people were jumping ship because "the Patriots lost to the Colts with RECHE CALDWELL and now they're sitting around doing nothing to improve our receivers."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No more FA worth signing, onto the draft! No need to stay in the past, look to the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Ya the Pats should have vastly overpayed for Peppers, Chester Taylor and Boldin. 

Peppers and Taylor will stink 2 years down the road, but hey they would have paid for this year and the debacle 2011 will be.  And let's forget the Pats were even in on Peppers and Boldin too, real passive.

Time Marches on...to April still 4 months until camp.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

TexasPat-
               What are your thoughts on the draft? Who and what should the Pats do?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

For all the hand wringing on this forum, nobody seems to have a reasonable solution. Outside of the Boldin thing. Yes that should have been a no brainer and I can't explain why they didn't do it.

But beyond that? Where's the brilliant move they could have made to improve the 2010 team without sacrificing the future?

It's fine to complain about the offseason,  but it's completely pointless if you have no reasonable solutions.

The other thing people seem to forget, that the Patriots have not, is the team is rebuilding. It's not going to happen in one or two offseasons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Tex I'm dissapointed you feel this way. I still believe that the Pats will bring in a marquee receiver for Brady through a draft day sign and trade. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Marshall. The offensive line will still be a problem but there may be another Vollmer in the draft. As much as you like Stallworth and Boldin Baltimore was the only team falling all over themselves for them. What do the rest of the league NOT see in these guys that you do? Cromartie has a learning disability and can't read so I guess you can train him with dog whistles but at some point he'll blow some easy coverages because he's too "stupid" to recognize what's going on. The Pats are never satisfied with their TEs and they'll draft another one of no consequence who won't produce but at least they know it. They signed as good a core of vets as they could under the circumstances so I'm happy so far with what they've done. If they do nothing with receiver I'll go to the dark side with you and post about how much smarter I am than the mgmt but until then I'm going to wait and see what they do with the draft. NO didn't win the SB because they had 4 stud receivers but because they had 4 guys who were very realiable pass catchers maybe the Pats will go that direction instead of relying on two guys to carry the team. My final thought is this team can not put a healthy team on the field; maybe by some miracle they'll get through the season healthy and we'll all see what starters can do. Brady is getting older you're right and I anticipate we'll see some quality receivers in here by September.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

hey Texas a bit surprised by you and this one, I am one that thinks the moves or lack there off are a good thing for the future.

Bolding would have taken multiple picks, in a deep draft like this one you can find 4 or 5 starters in the first 2 rounds.  He would have command a big pay day and I'm not sure he would have played all 16 games.  He has a track record to been hurt all season long. 
    Peppers, a DE that has never played OLB?  give him 13 mil a year to learn a position for a year or two when then his abilities are less? no thanks good move by BB.
    Dansby, yes I wanted the Dansby but I saw a video of McKenzie running in the workouts and he looks great so he will be in the middle with mayo.
    A TE rummors have been around for olson or the kid from washington both would take draft picks.  Again they will get starters in the 2nd, Hernadez or the kid from Arizona.  As a blocking TE they use Levoir OL in short yardage situations to block.  I do see them still bringing a FA TE but not maybe until after the draft.

Does anyone really think the Jets are better with LT instead of TJ? I for one am glad they got LT there he will blow up during the season.  Cromartie will be lost when teams throw his way 20 times a game.

Next year will be a FA heavy year pending a CBA is in place, there has to be one all these millionares and billionares like the money too much. 

THe Pats have 13 rookies coming to their 2nd year, 3 of those were on IR for most or part of the season so add 3 rookies to this year's draft.  Tate though was inall meetings and is said to have learned the play book so he might come around quickly he's also at offseason workouts.  Bussey a guard was on IR but prior to last years draft the coaching staff was extremely high on him because of his high football IQ and abilities, he will compete this year for a starting job.
    I see a need for a RT via the draft to replace Voll when he moves to LT.  WRs, there are some good ones in the draft but we are all nervous about these guys jackson too fresh in our memory but a guy like Shipley from Texas in the slot would be great, he is said to be the best route runner in the nation he will be there in the 4th.  In the 2nd I like Damian Williams but I trully expect Tate to be the 2nd this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

It is horrible that the Pats retained their best D-Lineman (one of the best NT in the game) and their best CB, and RB and OLB......wow, what a horrible offseason so far.....sense the sarcasm?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Came across this quote from a article yesterday in reading about the "almost certain" lockout coming up after this season. Sounds like unless your in a win or get fired scenario many teams are staying pretty quiet. I'm still waiting for what we'll do on draft day before I'll pass any judgement on the offseason. Right now almost seems like the Pats want too see the fruit of the last couple drafts.

"If the economy doesn't improve in each of the 30 NFL markets, the owners may decide to totally rein in spending in 2010 and not care about the win-loss record and then tighten their grip on salaries by locking out players starting with the 2011 free agency period."

Full article

http://www.examiner.com/x-3926-Business-of-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d7-2011-NFL-Lockout-Here-is-another-clue-for-you-all

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

its great that we retained the guys we have,but until they fill in the needs they lack from last season.they have not improved.pass rusher for one.we needed a no.3 receiver last season.now welker is down,and it remains to be seen for how long.so now a no.2 and 3 receiver is needed.does edelman step up his game?does tate become the missing link this year after missing last year?remains to be seen.its nice to see a veteran poster saying what i have been saying.for i have been blasted and laughed at.sure its early,and yes there could be some kind of a trade,but until that happens.we have to call it the way we see it right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I still feel the Pats WILL bring in a big time WR (opposite Moss) when the 'TIME' is right.  I agree with the FantasyBaron!  and I'm not talking about the NFL Draft.  I feel the move will happen on Draft day or draft weekend.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Boldin would have been nothing but a problem child.  He was seen argueing with his coach on the sidelines during their playoff run two years ago.  Reed is still available for WR.  Tate is going to be ready this year.  The Patriots have two LBers on IR coming back.  They have 4 early picks in a deep draft.  Tehy will have several late round picks.  These picks are going to be valuable this year.  7th rounders will be like 4th rounders in other years. Why is everyone worrying.  This team has potential.  They always pick up good players in FA once the dust settles.  In the next week or two, they will fill in some of the needs.  Wait until after the draft before jumping ship.  I am sure there will be players available later in the season too.  David Thomas was traded at the end of training camp.  The Patriots are good at watching the waiver wires and getting players that fit. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense:
    its great that we retained the guys we have,but until they fill in the needs they lack from last season.they have not improved.pass rusher for one.we needed a no.3 receiver last season.now welker is down,and it remains to be seen for how long.so now a no.2 and 3 receiver is needed.does edelman step up his game?does tate become the missing link this year after missing last year?remains to be seen.its nice to see a veteran poster saying what i have been saying.for i have been blasted and laughed at.sure its early,and yes there could be some kind of a trade,but until that happens.we have to call it the way we see it right now.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Name me 1 team that has made more offseason Free agent signings than the Pats this year.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Wow.  Talk about letting the wind out of the sails.  Whew.

As an outsider looking in, I'd say it does not appear to me to be quite as dire as characterized, and maybe TP is underselling a bit in hopes the pats overdeliver.   

A question:  Is Welker really not going to play in '10?  If not this may be the best thing for Brady.  I keep coming back to the question about the pats and their 3rd receiver and also TE.  Are these players that bad or did Brady just focus too much on the great receivers Moss and Welker?  No one could fault him for doing so, but if there is any truth to this, imagine how scary your offense would be if he'd just throw to those guys a little more to keep opposing defenses off balance. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Wow.  Talk about letting the wind out of the sails.  Whew. As an outsider looking in, I'd say it does not appear to me to be quite as dire as characterized, and maybe TP is underselling a bit in hopes the pats overdeliver.    A question:  Is Welker really not going to play in '10?  If not this may be the best thing for Brady.  I keep coming back to the question about the pats and their 3rd receiver and also TE.  Are these players that bad or did Brady just focus too much on the great receivers Moss and Welker?  No one could fault him for doing so, but if there is any truth to this, imagine how scary your offense would be if he'd just throw to those guys a little more to keep opposing defenses off balance. 
    Posted by underdoggg

was wondering where you were at?  good points ud but those guys Aikens and company did not have the separation you would like.  also the OL at times did not give brady the time needed to find his third read and most of the time was checking down.  The Pats won 3 SBs without a 6'+ WR and Brady was finding the open guy the big difference was he had time to find the open guy whether was his first or last option.  With an improved OL and another WR in I think you are right it will be scary to see him back to form. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Who ever said Welker wasn't playing this season? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : Name me 1 team that has made more offseason Free agent signings than the Pats this year.....
    Posted by m1021us
    out side of resigning there own players?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

My bad it was the 76 draft, Haynes, Fox, and Brock, it was a long time ago.
    Posted by bobbysu

Well the 73' draft did bring us Hannah, Cunningham, Sugar Bear Hamilton and Stingley. Granted back then each team had a lot more picks then they do today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Who ever said Welker wasn't playing this season? 
    Posted by 123meg
    he will at least miss part of it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Wow.  Talk about letting the wind out of the sails.  Whew. As an outsider looking in, I'd say it does not appear to me to be quite as dire as characterized, and maybe TP is underselling a bit in hopes the pats overdeliver.    A question:  Is Welker really not going to play in '10?  If not this may be the best thing for Brady.  I keep coming back to the question about the pats and their 3rd receiver and also TE.  Are these players that bad or did Brady just focus too much on the great receivers Moss and Welker?  No one could fault him for doing so, but if there is any truth to this, imagine how scary your offense would be if he'd just throw to those guys a little more to keep opposing defenses off balance. 
    Posted by underdoggg

LMAO.  There's always fan angst during the off-season because we have nothing better to do with our time. That ain't any difference from your camp.

I think it'd be safe to say Welker won't be back until the end of the regular season. It's rumored that he'll be back in 6 months from the time of surgery, but if I were BB...I wouldn't push him that hard.

In regards to Brady, I don't care who our crop of WRs are - whether it comes in the form WRs, TEs, or RBs....until we improve our OL at C, RT, and RG (in a way that will both protect Brady AND open holes for our running game), our offense will not fare well against those who have an above average pass rush.

In order of most important needs? #1 for me is our weak pass rush. #2 is the right side of our offensive line.

anyhoo....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

How dumb are some fans here? What is it you don't get? Look at the teams overpaying. Those teams STINK and there is a reason why they overpay.  They are managed POORLY. THis is a VERY WEAK FA class. Period. This is a deep draft. The deepest in 25 years according to some!  Wake up.  Good grief.
    Posted by russgriswold
    how many times a year do we here the draft is deep?and how many players will make a huge impact in there first year?the draft is great on building the team for the future,but its rare you get the rookie of the likes of adrian petersons,the derell revises,or the rookie merrimans.not saying it isnt possible,but rare.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I still say it's too early. They took care of some signings they had to and don't forget, they picked up Patten and met with Reed and Crumpler and we haven't heard anything on them yet so you can't count them out. I know these guys aren't marquee players but they know how to move the chains. I'm not worried because short of four teams nobody is doing anything which tells me this years draft is worth waiting for. Expect some draft day deals as well. Have faith Dogg, it's both. Galloway was that bad and hurt them a lot. This left them with limited targets and defenses knew it. Now, add the fact that the O line couldn't open a hole to get a sustained ball control running game and TB had no choice but to force everything into Moss and WW. 
    Posted by Sam-Adams
     did we resign patten? i didnt see that one.not that it will be a huge boost.

Sections
Shortcuts