Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense:
    hey Texas a bit surprised by you and this one, I am one that thinks the moves or lack there off are a good thing for the future. Bolding would have taken multiple picks, in a deep draft like this one you can find 4 or 5 starters in the first 2 rounds.  He would have command a big pay day and I'm not sure he would have played all 16 games.  He has a track record to been hurt all season long.

RESPONSE: He also has a track record of being a pro-bowl caliber WR...averaging 80 plus receptions per season. He is known as a leader in the locker room, and a tough wide-out, whose not afraid to go over the middle. His size makes him an excellent red zone target. Why worry about a "big pay day", during an uncapped season? How many players play all 16 games? 

Peppers, a DE that has never played OLB?  give him 13 mil a year to learn a position for a year or two when then his abilities are less? no thanks good move by BB. Dansby, yes I wanted the Dansby but I saw a video of McKenzie running in the workouts and he looks great so he will be in the middle with mayo.

RESPONSE: I didn't advocate signing either Peppers or Dansby.

A TE rummors have been around for olson or the kid from washington both would take draft picks.  Again they will get starters in the 2nd, Hernadez or the kid from Arizona.  As a blocking TE they use Levoir OL in short yardage situations to block.  I do see them still bringing a FA TE but not maybe until after the draft.

RESPONSE: With so many holes to fill, do you really want to see the Pats use two draft choices on TEs?

Does anyone really think the Jets are better with LT instead of TJ? I for one am glad they got LT there he will blow up during the season.

RESPONSE: Agreed. 

Cromartie will be lost when teams throw his way 20 times a game.

RESPONSE: That remains to be seen. Cromartie's problems aren't physical ones. 

Next year will be a FA heavy year pending a CBA is in place, there has to be one all these millionares and billionares like the money too much.  THe Pats have 13 rookies coming to their 2nd year, 3 of those were on IR for most or part of the season so add 3 rookies to this year's draft.  Tate though was inall meetings and is said to have learned the play book so he might come around quickly he's also at offseason workouts.  Bussey a guard was on IR but prior to last years draft the coaching staff was extremely high on him because of his high football IQ and abilities, he will compete this year for a starting job. I see a need for a RT via the draft to replace Voll when he moves to LT.

RESPONSE: Lots of players look good running around in tee-shirts and shorts. But, until they suit up and take the field...we don't know whether they can play.

WRs, there are some good ones in the draft but we are all nervous about these guys jackson too fresh in our memory but a guy like Shipley from Texas in the slot would be great, he is said to be the best route runner in the nation he will be there in the 4th.  In the 2nd I like Damian Williams but I trully expect Tate to be the 2nd this year.

RESPONSE: Very few rookie WRs make an impact in year one. I don't want to see the Pats draft unproven WRs. I want them to take linemen...and regain their reputation as a physical team. 

Posted by Pats7393

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

There really were not that many great players out there for the money they commanded.  Would you really want to break the bank for Peppers? Pats have lots of very good young players who will take time to develop and now have a year under their belt.  Don't you think the Pats know their areas of weakness, and that they will address them this season in the draft, or trades, or next round of FA's?  Be patient.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense :      And your point is? How did those signings make the Patriots a better team that the 2009 bunch?
    Posted by TexasPat3

Dude, name 1 team that got better this offseason.....please!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : there is a diffrence then complaing and just stateing.im just stateing they havent improved themselves yet.dosent matter to me how early it is or how much longer it will go.im just stateing at this moment right now the pats have yet filled there weakness on the team.I hear many say the free agency is weak.now is it weak by the players or the positions?for i think there are several players out there that still has lots of talent and can help,and thrive with the pats.now if its lets say pass rushers then yes its very weak there.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Wow, it is Captain Obvious!  Please tell us something we didn't know......

I will play that game....

The [insert team name] has not improved this offseason!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense :      What a crock!! Who said anything about signing Peppers or Chester Taylor? But, to miss out on a pro-bowl caliber WR who only cost the Ravens a 3rd and 4th rounder (plus the Ravens got a 5th rounder in return), and then to sign the man for roughly $7mil. per season seems reasonable, in an uncapped year. What would have been wrong with bringing Donte' Stallworth back on a $1mil., one year deal? All those moves would have accomplished would be to solve the Pats' weaknesses at WR...allowing the team to focus on the OL/DL/OLB positions in the draft.       Tom Brady is dynamite when given time to throw, and when he has weapons at his disposal. But, he won't be around forever. What are the Pats waiting for? You would think that they would want to emulate their success in 2007.      Incidently..."being in" on a player means nothing if he's not signed. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

LOL!  uncapped year meant nothing....there is a rule out there that states that you can't frontload a contract and the owners said if you way overpay someone it will come back to bite you when they do implement the Cap again.....

So saying "in an uncapped year" means that you don't know what is going on in the NFL right now....which explains your whining....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense :      I really haven't focused yet on the draft yet. I've been pretty disappointed by the Patriots' off-season snooze. Boldin and Moss would have been a dynamite combination.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Boo-Hoo....WHAAAAAA!!!!  I think that someone wanted a new binki.....get over it, we don't need Boldin.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

What a crock!! Who said anything about signing Peppers or Chester Taylor? But, to miss out on a pro-bowl caliber WR who only cost the Ravens a 3rd and 4th rounder (plus the Ravens got a 5th rounder in return), and then to sign the man for roughly $7mil. per season seems reasonable, in an uncapped year. What would have been wrong with bringing Donte' Stallworth back on a $1mil., one year deal? All those moves would have accomplished would be to solve the Pats' weaknesses at WR...allowing the team to focus on the OL/DL/OLB positions in the draft.

Re Taylor ....you spend a paragraph on how Faulk is old...well who else among the FAs would better fit his skill set?  If you want a younger player Taylor is your man. If however you want someone who is far more familiar with the Pats system and costs far less you go with Faulk.  Re - Peppers I agree they will address the pass rushing issue in the draft.  I don't think that requires multiple picks though.  Peppers would have absulutely been pro-active at a big area of need (which you call for no?), and a huge mistake down the road in terms of playing and sal cap even with no cap in 2010.

Re - Boldin.  He would have been tremedous in 2010.  I think there were two issues one was compensation to AZ.  My guess is BB was 'in' on Boldin until the player compensation went too high.  When Welker gets healthy they would essentially have their two best WR playing similar roles. Whereas Marshall or Fitzgerald (and Moss) are more N-S.  Welker and Boldin are more E-W. ...yet both are tremendous at YAC

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Whenever my mind entertains the notion that the Patriots are slipping, lagging, or missing the NFL boat I think about the owner. Mr. Robert Kraft. Mr. Kraft is the biggest patriots fan of all, he's one of us, he's not about to let our team slip, or miss a beat in the off season.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Whenever my mind entertains the notion that the Patriots are slipping, lagging, or missing the NFL boat I think about the owner. Mr. Robert Kraft. Mr. Kraft is the biggest patriots fan of all, he's one of us, he's not about to let our team slip, or miss a beat in the off season.    
    Posted by proftom

No team has won more games then the Patriots since Kraft has taken over this team in 1994. I'm expecting some moves right before and during the draft. Can see them using one of their 2011 #1 picks in a move this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : LOL!  uncapped year meant nothing....there is a rule out there that states that you can't frontload a contract and the owners said if you way overpay someone it will come back to bite you when they do implement the Cap again..... So saying "in an uncapped year" means that you don't know what is going on in the NFL right now....which explains your whining....
    Posted by m1021us

m1221us:

This is a discussion. If you choose to call it a whine, so be it. That fact that you have chosen to be rude and resort to silly name tells me all I need to know about you. 

So..."theres' a rule out there"?? Do you have a cite?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : Dude, name 1 team that got better this offseason.....please!
    Posted by m1021us

Dude?? Take another tote, pal...LOL!!!

Name one team that got better thus far? The Baltimore Ravens.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense :   One way to quiet these bozos down is to tell them that continuity in football is huge. Chemistry on an O Line for example is very important.

RESPONSE: Really? Continuity on the OL hasn't done much to assure Tom Brady's health the past couple of years...has it? Nor has it done much for the Pats' ground game. Why can't you "bozos" put the koolaid down, and acknowledge that the OL needs to be upgraded?

The fact NE held on to its known commodities is as big or bigger than signing some fancy free agent.

RESPONSE: All it did was to ensure that the Patriots would be no worse off then they were last year. Why can't you "bozos" understand that the WR position is weak due to the lack of a quality 3rd WR, and the injury to all-pro slot receiver, Wes Welker? Additions need to be made. Boldin would have been a great fit. 

Also, a team like Chicago or the Jets are in the positions they are in . I would say Baltimore is the lone team that improved very well.

RESPONSE: Exactly. So would the Pats...had they signed Boldin and Stallworth.

They needed an upgrade at WR to help that lethal run game and Flacco now has a couple toys to play with.  Other than that, only Chicago improved their rush with Peppers, but they are so far off it's irrelevant. Miami with Dansby?  Good move, certainly helps, but they have issues still. 
    Posted by russgriswold

RESONSE:  I have not advocated that the Pats should have signed Dansby or Peppers. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : Wow, it is Captain Obvious!  Please tell us something we didn't know...... I will play that game.... The [insert team name] has not improved this offseason!!
    Posted by m1021us
    dude your the obvious one.your so quick to bash someone with your opinion,but when someone asks you a question,you dont anwser it,but come back with an insult. here is something this guy knows,and trust me he knows far more then you. oh! lets hear you say it.we need a laugh.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11731/bruschi-jets-improving-pats-standing-still

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense :      Dude?? Take another tote, pal...LOL!!!      Name one team that got better thus far? The Baltimore Ravens.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

ok, so trading a 3rd and a 4th pick 1 player was a good move for 1 position.....adding Stallworth was good as well, resigning Mason was also a good move.....But what about the other 19 positions that are still open?  they have 22 Free agents....I still see many holes.....How again does upgrading 1 position, fill the holes and upgrade the other 19 positions?

So I will again ask, name me 1 team that has gotten better thus far?

Do you want me to tell you the answer so you don't make a fool of yourself again?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense :      And your point is? How did those signings make the Patriots a better team that the 2009 bunch?
    Posted by TexasPat3

At worst it kept them a 10-6 team.....they can get better through free agency and the draft during the rest of the off-season.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense :      m1221us:      This is a discussion. If you choose to call it a whine, so be it. That fact that you have chosen to be rude and resort to silly name tells me all I need to know about you.       So..."theres' a rule out there"?? Do you have a cite?  
    Posted by TexasPat3

You don't like being corrected?

There might be a site, I heard it on the radio.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : here is something this guy knows,and trust me he knows far more then you. http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11731/bruschi-jets-improving-pats-standing-still
    Posted by mosseffect43

bruschi's problem is he opens his mouth before he thinks......he has turned into a radio-head.  the Jests downgraded RB and upgraded CB....they have yet to fill the rest of the 14 open positions.

thus they have not improved their team......

Wow, Bruschi is pretty dumb.....he is starting to sound like Felger and Mazz.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Love Bruschi, but he's clearly playing ESPN talking head now. ESPN directs their people with what to say, hence why they are a laughinstock of sports reporting/talking heads.  Good thing Mike Reiss has not had to compromise. 
    Posted by russgriswold

With the BS he has been spewing lately, I have been losing his respect......

I have been respecting Rodney Harrison more.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

so to get it right TP your upset about Boldin NOT the passive off season over all.

RESPONSE: The Patriots have done nothing to attempt to improve the team. Signing their own players doesn't make them better...it prevents them from getting worse. I think that getting Boldin and Stallworth would have dramatically improved the passing attack. 

Thing is TP we dont know what BB knows..but that fact that Boldin went for a third and a forth speaks volumes to me about him as a player and a person. Think about it NO team was willing to do a 2nd for him NOT just the Pats..in the pass happy NFL there must be a reason for that dont ya think?

RESPONSE: It seems that trading their 3rd round pick last year to acquire Derrick Burgess came back to bite them. That said, the Pats should have gotten the deal done...even if they had to give up their 2nd rounder and, say, 5th rounder, for Boldin and the Cards' 4th rounder.

You may recall that in 2004, no team would trade a 2nd rounder for Bengal's RB orey Dillon. But, the Pats'  stepped up, and got it done. Wasn't Dillon worth it? I think that Boldin would have been, too. 

2nd we dont "know" what we have in Tate and Edleman yet. Tate was a KR/PR master so to speak and was projected as a 2nd/3rd receiver in time how much time who knows but Ill guarantee BB knows better then any of us. Eldemen for a QB learning WR in a new system looked pretty dam good to me for his first year.

RESPONSE: Exactly why the move for Boldin should have been made. Edleman isn't relevant to this conversation. He is a slot receiver...and is needed to replace Welker. Boldin would have taken over for Sam Aiken. What a huge upgrade that would have been.

Big names arent always a good thing just look at AD..Rosie,Deltha etc. Ask the Redskins how all those big named huge contract guys have worked for them over the years. There is more to a team then numbers...look at the Colts numbers up the *** but 1 ring. How have the Pats done after they got a marquee WR oh ya we lost that SB.

RESPONSE: Quit. The 18-1 Pats not winning the SB in 2007 had nothing to do with failure of their WRs...and had everything to do with failure of their overrated OL.

Marquee names dont mean win..the things you cant see on paper mean JUST as much and those things we have to have faith in the ones that DO know those things to do the right thing. I think 4 SBs games 3 wins numerous titles in 10 years earned that kindda faith IMHO.

RESPONSE: After watching what transpired in 2009, do you honestly believe that the Patriots are a legitimate SB contender?

Posted by Lastat

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : ok, so trading a 3rd and a 4th pick 1 player was a good move for 1 position

RESPONSE: Considering that the Ravens picked up a pro-bowl caliber WR, absolutely. Who knows whether the late 3rd and 4th rounders will amount to anything. 

.....adding Stallworth was good as well, resigning Mason was also a good move.....

RESPONSE: Agreed.

But what about the other 19 positions that are still open?  they have 22 Free agents....I still see many holes.....

RESPONSE: Who are the 22 free agent players? Are they unrestricted, or restricted free agents? What are the "holes" that you claim to see?  

How again does upgrading 1 position, fill the holes and upgrade the other 19 positions?

RESPONSE: Again, what the are "holes" that you are referring to? Who are the Ravens in danger of losing? 

So I will again ask, name me 1 team that has gotten better thus far?

RESPONSE: Until you answer my questions above...I repeat...the Baltimore Ravens.

Do you want me to tell you the answer so you don't make a fool of yourself again?

RESPONSE: LOL!!! I'm not going to get into a childish game of name calling with you. If you would like to continue this discussion in a civil manner, I welcome your input.

Posted by m1021us

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GR2009. Show GR2009's posts

Leon, its like you never left, you still spew the same BS after months of not being here....Hi mumbbles!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : bruschi's problem is he opens his mouth before he thinks......he has turned into a radio-head.  the Jests downgraded RB and upgraded CB....they have yet to fill the rest of the 14 open positions. thus they have not improved their team...... Wow, Bruschi is pretty dumb.....he is starting to sound like Felger and Mazz.....
    Posted by m1021us

Seriously, I you making this stuff up?  Do you really believe everything you just posted?  I love the Pats and I hate the Jets, but I'm not going to base my opinions on my own personal bias.  The Jets have improved dramatically in the offseason, the Pats still have Brady which always makes them competitive.  But you kidding yourself if you don't think the Pats have really hamstrung themselves by not going out and adding quality talent this far into the offseason.  Which is inexcusable when you have Brady at QB, but it wouldn't take much for the Pats to be right on top with a few minor moves here and there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Jets improvement?  Lost 700 rushing yards and traded for a questionable CB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from +Mrboston. Show +Mrboston's posts

Who did you want the Pats to get Boldin? Locker room cancer. Peppers? over paid part time player.  What should have they done? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' Passive Off-Season Makes No Sense : bruschi's problem is he opens his mouth before he thinks......he has turned into a radio-head.  the Jests downgraded RB and upgraded CB....they have yet to fill the rest of the 14 open positions. thus they have not improved their team...... Wow, Bruschi is pretty dumb.....he is starting to sound like Felger and Mazz.....
    Posted by m1021us
    Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha.thanks i needed that laugh.yea teddy has three superbowl rings.played many years,came back after a stroke,and played the game he knows,but he dosent know anything about football.who needs knowledge of football when we have you.im gonna sleep real good tonight.LoL!

Sections
Shortcuts