Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern?

In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? : Against all odds, Brady's head is still attached to his body.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

Good point....Anything regarding how the Patriots or an indivdual played last night?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

a few observations:

1. Detroit looked like the Pats and the Pats looked like Detroit

2. the offensive line got dominated 
    3.  we have not figured a way to deal effectively with teams who have a dominating defensive front.

4. when we use this passive "bend" defense our deense "sox".
    i hope he trotted that out just to play mind games and not give too much away

5. our defensive backfield is woeful (sum total ie beyond devin and bodden and till dowling shows something); and devin is rusty.

6. damn

7. seems like we have most of the pieces but we still have:

a. one huge problem in that obrian is still our offensive coord.
          no schemes for dominant defenses; no ability to change gameplan when needed during a gamel; first down run up the middle no gain, 2nd down run again 0-2 yard gain, third down and 8-10 pass (predictability).

b. another huge problem, we cant slow down dominate d lines

c. one mediocre problem in meriweather at safety

d. one more mediocre problem in no 3rd db who can defend any passes at this  point (fingers crossed on dowling).

hope bill's getting a dream of solving these things.

this just in: 
    detroit and schwartz are going places.

yeah and i hope bb was not showing what our most effective defensive schemes will do till  season. but thats not to say we didnt get dominated. not just punched in the mouth, but dominated. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Obviously our talent level is down from where it was just a few years ago. However we have tons of draft picks stockpiled for the next few years. This is still a team that can make the playoffs if Brady stays healthy the whole way. But clearly we are not a dominate team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? :      Based on what I saw tonight, the Pats have weaknesses on the OL, the DL, the secondary, and at WR. Not good.       Just a horrible performance, all around.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

And you give the colts sh&t?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Always remember WE HAVE BRADY!!   It is like Linus' blanket...the ultimate security blanket for any fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

[QUOTE] a few observations: 1. Detroit looked like the Pats and the Pats looked like Detroit 2. the offensive line got dominated  3.  we have not figured a way to deal effectively with teams who have a dominating defensive front. 4. when we use this passive "bend" defense our deense "sox". i hope he trotted that out just to play mind games and not give too much away 5. our defensive backfield is woeful (sum total ie beyond devin and bodden and till dowling shows something); and devin is rusty. 6. damn 7. seems like we have most of the pieces but we still have:      a. one huge problem in that obrian is still our offensive coord.       no schemes for dominant defenses; no ability to change gameplan when needed during a gamel; first down run up the middle no gain, 2nd down run again 0-2 yard gain, third down and 8-10 pass (predictability).    b. another huge problem, we cant slow down dominate d lines    c. one mediocre problem in meriweather at safety    d. one more mediocre problem in no 3rd db who can defend any passes at this  point (fingers crossed on dowling). hope bill's getting a dream of solving these things. this just in:  detroit and schwartz are going places. yeah and i hope bb was not showing what our most effective defensive schemes will do till  season. but thats not to say we didnt get dominated. not just punched in the mouth, but dominated. 
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

regarding 7a, during the broadcast it was said that that Pats dont have a runningback by comittee as much as a runningback by situation. its great to have 4+ backs who can do different things well, but is it so diversified that we tip our hats to the defense? Law Firm comes in, its going between the tackles. Woodheads in, he's looking to get it to the edge. Hopefully Vereen will be the answer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Zero concern about BB's preseason track record, which over the past nine years is slightly higher that 500. Saturday nights game was just a pads practice for the Pats. They didn't play hard, they didn't play smart, they didn't play good at all. But, I am not worried at all. 

Come regular season BB and TB will deliver the goods, a well played football game, they always do.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously our talent level is down from where it was just a few years ago. However we have tons of draft picks stockpiled for the next few years. This is still a team that can make the playoffs if Brady stays healthy the whole way. But clearly we are not a dominate team.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

Actually I'd say our talent level is up from a few years ago. I was at a game a couple of years ago and the team we were playing just moved the ball up and down the field on us, really there was nothing they couldn't do against us. Pass it? No problem. Run? Sure, up the middle or on the edges...just pathetic. The offense was basically just slants to Moss, nothing else. Horrible.

We now have some very talented tight ends. A young stable of running backs. Some front seven talent to go with Mayo and Wilfork. Honestly I think they have a chance to be special.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? : Good point....Anything regarding how the Patriots or an indivdual played last night?
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Well, I see a pattern, although I'd be the first to say it doesn't mean much. 
    I would make the case that in three of the worst losses of the last 2+ years (Ravens playoff, Jets playoff, and this one) the best Pats player in all 3 games has been Edelman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern?:
    [QUOTE]     Folks...this is just an exhibition game. But, the 3rd game of pre-season ball is supposed to serve as a dress rehersal for the regular season. In this game, we're seeing those same all too familiar Patriots' defensive weaknesses...no pass-rush, and poor coverage by the secondary...which results in making second rate QBs like Hill and Stafford look like Brees and Rodgers.      Though one could excuse this away by saying that the good guys didn't show up for this one...this first half is reminiscent of last years' first half between the Lions and Pats on Thanksgiving Day...where Detroit dominated, before being blown away by the Patriots in the second half.      BB obviously isn't happy with what he's seen. So...look for most of the starters to be on the field in the second half. It will be interesting to see whether the Pats can turn things around, the way that they did last Thanksgiving.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Gee, Tex.... no mention of the stellar and awe-inspiring performance of the Pats' offense? Nothing the Defense did can hide that huge stench the offense gve off. And, if Hill and Stafford were elevated to "Brees and Rodgers" status, then, deservedly so, the Lions turned Brady into a Jamarcus Russell wannabe.

Last night's "game" (such as it was) was a TEAM debacle; they ALL need to own up to it. So should us fans.

Calling 'em as I see 'em.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

What  is  the  common  thread  to  the  '07  SB  loss, the  '09  playoff  loss  to  the  Ravens,    last  year's  playoff  loss  to  the  Jets  and  last  night's  debacle.  Answer :  Horrible  OL  play  which  didn't  protect  TB  and  didn't  generate  a  RUN  game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously our talent level is down from where it was just a few years ago. However we have tons of draft picks stockpiled for the next few years. This is still a team that can make the playoffs if Brady stays healthy the whole way. But clearly we are not a dominate team.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

Uh, they've had draft picks "stockpiled" for many years now. All they do with them is trade them for MORE draft picks. When it's obvious they NEED help/dept in any position, and they DON'T trade for it, it's because BB "knows his values", and can get "value" in the later rounds. It's like BB knows all about the back end of the draft, yet hasn't got much faith in the early rounds, OR his ability to draft to need there. Draft Clay Mathews? No! Trade him and draft McCourty. Clue: a solid/strong front 7 helps the DBacks. Look no further than the 2005 SB win vs Philthydelphia. The starting DBackfield was of YMCA flag football make up (the word "ragtag" comes to mind, especially the guy from off the street). Yet they won the game. The front 7 kept the pressure on McNabb. Now, the expectation is that a strong DBackfield will make a no pressure front 7 "better"? Or, they can cover all receivers for however long it takes for teh QB to toss an INT.

Absurd expectation at best.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? : No concern about the 158 the D let Stafford throw up?
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe - several of our Defensive starters did not play - Haynesworth, Ellis, Spikes, Chung, Bodden etc.

Given these, I am less worried about our D. Our offense though......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

no reason for concern at all. its preseason. calm down and wait for the regular season to start, if after week 8 the pats are 2-6, than u can be concerned. right now they are 2-1 in games that dont count or what you would call tryouts.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? : regarding 7a, during the broadcast it was said that that Pats dont have a runningback by comittee as much as a runningback by situation. its great to have 4+ backs who can do different things well, but is it so diversified that we tip our hats to the defense? Law Firm comes in, its going between the tackles. Woodheads in, he's looking to get it to the edge. Hopefully Vereen will be the answer
    Posted by ben-umass[/QUOTE]

agreed ben....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? : Uh, they've had draft picks "stockpiled" for many years now. All they do with them is trade them for MORE draft picks. When it's obvious they NEED help/dept in any position, and they DON'T trade for it, it's because BB "knows his values", and can get "value" in the later rounds. It's like BB knows all about the back end of the draft, yet hasn't got much faith in the early rounds, OR his ability to draft to need there. Draft Clay Mathews? No! Trade him and draft McCourty. Clue: a solid/strong front 7 helps the DBacks. Look no further than the 2005 SB win vs Philthydelphia. The starting DBackfield was of YMCA flag football make up (the word "ragtag" comes to mind, especially the guy from off the street). Yet they won the game. The front 7 kept the pressure on McNabb. Now, the expectation is that a strong DBackfield will make a no pressure front 7 "better"? Or, they can cover all receivers for however long it takes for teh QB to toss an INT. Absurd expectation at best.  
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

heard that before. wait, i wrote that last year... :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? : Babe - several of our Defensive starters did not play - Haynesworth, Ellis, Spikes, Chung, Bodden etc. Given these, I am less worried about our D. Our offense though......
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

The O managed 10 points in the first half.  For the game that would equal 20. We are going to have to win games where we score only 20 points if we expect to win a SB. Yeah, the O-line took some time off to sell girl scout cookies again. They are Jeckle/Hyde and that isn't going to change I suspect. But even with that there is enough scoring to win most games if we had an actual good D.

A defense that allows a mediocre QB like Stafford to put up those kind of numbers is going to lose you games, big ones.

Basically, Pat's fans are spoiled and expect Brady to throw a 100+ game every time to make up for a shoddy D. It isn't going to happen. When the overrated O-line doesn't show up he's going to throw an average 80 or so.

But then, does a team with a D that stinks as bad as this one did last year, or might this year even deserve to be a SB champion?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommChairman. Show CommChairman's posts

I think this is a great wake-up call like the Eagles got when they got pasted by the Steelers. The first two preseason games were a cakewalk, and perhaps some players have been reading their clippings. This game will allow BB to lower the boom and get the focus back to fundamentals. It also probably made cutdowns on Tuesday easier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I'd say there is a reason for concern. It seems that teams have figured out that when they bring the house on Brady it works. I know they didn't field the best team they could have but it wasn't far off of it. It wasn't like they had all backups in there that first half.

When I see teams doing this I keep screaming at the TV for them to mix it up and run it more but all I see is OB cowering in the fetal position trying to throw his way out of it compounding the problem.

On D they looked confused but that wouldn't surprise me if that's not what BB wanted.

All in all a good old fashioned trip to the wood shed. I hope they're getting yelled at as we speak for their poor play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pats' Pathetic Performance a Reason for Concern? : Umm, did that happen last year?  No.  BB played a 3-4 vanilla zone over and over and over again.  You could have played QB lasg year in that game. Every team handles things differently and you can't judge how any coach is running camp this year after the lockout, especially.  Some of you are such drama queens. Poor performance last night by the sounds of it, but before last night's game, we saw two throttlings.  Same thing last year.  Schwartz clearly treated that like it was the game of their lives, probably to give them some confidence against a SB contending team.  Makes sense. But, where was that last year from Detroit on Thanksgiving?  lol BB was apparently tinkering with some makeshift 3-4 D last night.  Again, Belichick isn't gameplanning or wondering what his team is going to look like, so he experiments.  Obviously, the vanilla packages last night weren't executed well, but calm down. Some pink hats did the same thing last year in preseason.  In fact, they probably do it every year, actually.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    So you are defending the team although you didn't see the game? 

Now this is the very definition of HOMER.  You definitely deserve that crown you wear.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrkillers. Show patsrkillers's posts

No need to panic ,but come on thier is no excuse to play that bad.I dont care if thier was no game plan or not  just a sad performance.They will fix things this week  and improve .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I'll also add, there are 16 games which are more important plus the three that follow those.  As long as the Pats get through those first 16 to get to play those last 3 (presuming a division win and 1st round bye) and win them all, we'll all be happy campers!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://audio.weei.com/a/44185634/tom-brady-talks-about-the-loss-to-the-lions-ochocinco-s-development-and-what-he-expects-from-the-team-in-the-next-pre-season-game.htm

Brady 8/29/11 interview on WEEI

Brady eager to watch film of loss

August, 29, 2011
    AUG 29
    9:00
    AM ET
    By Chris Forsberg
    Leon Halip/Getty ImagesTom Brady is hit as he attempts to throw against the Lions.
    New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said Monday morning that he hadn't yet watched the game tape from Saturday's 34-10 exhibition loss to the Lions, but the mistakes he made had been eating at him since a lackluster performance in Detroit. 

Brady, making his weekly appearance on the Dennis & Callahan Show on sports radio WEEI (850 AM), talked about the team's struggles Saturday, a desire to get back on the practice field, and the upcoming roster cuts. 

"We got in pretty late [Sunday] morning with the hurricane, so I’m heading in [to Gillette Stadium] now and I'm going to watch the film," said Brady. "I’ve been thinking about it since the game was over, but we always do that. I think about all the things that I screwed up, that I need to do better. That’s why I’m anxious to get on the practice field and start to try to make improvements." 

Here are some more highlights from Brady's call-in: 

On if the Patriots can respond to Saturday's loss as they did last season after a discouraging loss to Cleveland: "Who knows at this point? You hate losing any time you take the field in competition. I’m sure there’s a lot to be learned, a lot to be understood by our entire team, things we have to do on a consistent basis so we can win games. We’re getting back to work [Monday], we had [Sunday] off, and I think everyone’s excited to go in there and see what the issues where, see positives we can take from the game, so we can move on and go out and player better this week." 

On overconfidence after first two preseason games: "We really try to make a concerted effort not to do that. That’s probably one of the great characteristics of playing for a Bill Belichick-coached team. We don’t really listen to what anyone else says. We pretty much stick to what our coaches tell us. He wasn’t as overly enthusiastic about the Tampa game, he thought there was plenty of things we could have done better. And there will be plenty of things we could have done better this week. It’s all a part of our maturation as a team, all part of the learning process. Part of the training-camp process is how do we respond to things when they don’t go so well, how do we play on the road, how do we rebound from a tough loss? We got off to a pretty fast start last week, how do we respond when we don’t get off to a fast start? Those are all things that need to be conditioned into a team. We’re going out there and working hard in practice and wish it would show up perfect every time you take the field; Part of the high level of competition is that it doesn’t. In order to be at our best, in a couple weeks, we’ve got to play significantly better than we played last week, but also understand that, if we don’t get off to a fast start, [there are] things we need to do so we can respond and ultimately play well enough to win the game, which is the goal." 

On protection problems vs. the Lions: "Look, if you’re an offensive lineman, you get beat; If you're a quarterback, you throw interceptions; If you're a receiver, you drop passes. That’s part of playing the position and part of being very good at that is overcoming [bad plays]. There are times in the game when you get beat or make a bad play, that's part of it. When the quarterback gets sacked, a lot of the time people blame the offensive line. Well, sometimes it’s the quarterback. Sometimes it's [the opponent] having tight coverage on the receiver. A lot of it is, as a team, collectively making sure we’re all on the same page, so that you don’t get sacked, you don’t throw interceptions, you don’t have plays that are negative... Those are all things we’re working on, things we need to do a better job of on a consistent basis." 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

After the Tampa game I figured 19-0 season for the Pats. Now more like 1-15.