Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....

The Saints and Packers would have been matchup nightmares for the Patriots.  Without weak secondary and limited pass rusher, Brees and Rodgers would have spread out the ball all over the field and put up 40+ points on us.    We would have put points up on them as well probably in the 30s, but I doubt we could have kept up in that shootout, which probably would have been the highest in NFL history. 

The Giants are a different beast and a much better matchup for us.   These experts forget, that the first half of the Patriots matchup with the Giants was a stalemate and the second half turned into the kind of game, last team with the ball was going to win.   Here's why the Pats will win.

- Since the Giants beat us, we haven't lost a game.  Plus we've been slapped around by the Dolphins, Broncos, and Bills in the first half of games and came back to destroy them.  If the Giants take an early lead, this roster won't panic.  It's much better designed to handle a close game than in the 2007 team. 

- The Giants momentum was hurt by two weeks off.  If this game was played a week after the NFC/AFC Championship, I would take the Giants in this game, because they were the hot team playing the best football.   Two weeks off, gave the Patriots more time to get Gronkowski's ankle healed, and game plan.   Football is all about momentum, and two weeks off, only hurts a hot team like the Giants. 

-  Brady got his bad playoff game out of the way.  The pressure is off him, remember last year going into the Jets playoff game, Brady was playing perfect football it caught up to him.   Brady can play relax on Sunday and just make plays.    Brady threw for 5,000 yards this season lets remember. 

- Our defense is stepping up.  Our defensive line featuring guys like Wilfork, Brace, Ellis are playing great football, and with Mayo and Spikes, the Giants running game wont be an issue.    Our secondary is still weak (although the combo of McCourty and Chung is a major upgrade from earlier in the year)  and Manning will probably throw for 300 hundred yards, but as long as we limit the big 30+ yard scoring touchdowns, we'll limit this team to field goals in the red zone.  

My prediction for the game is a 37-23 game.  Both teams will move the ball up and down the field, but the Patriots will have the advantage in the red zone offensively. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....

LOL, well when we beat the Jints, technically we beat the Saints and Packers. The Giants beat the Packers, then the Giants beat the Niners who beat the Saints.

Patriots at the top of the heap

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....

i thought our chances vs. Packers and Saints would have been just as good as vs. Giants, but the type of game played would have been different.

I would have expected tons of total scoring vs. Saints and Packers. I can see the Giants game being low scoring to moderately high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

wow, what a backhanded compliment.  right up there with "you're not half as much of a jerk as you used to be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Could be. But, does it really matter at this point? The Giants are challenge remaining.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....:
    [QUOTE]i thought our chances vs. Packers and Saints would have been just as good as vs. GiantsPosted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

The Blue Jets have no chance, the non-rusty Packers and fast turf Saints indoors at Indy?  We would have had a much harder time, if at all. tough Luck Saints and Packers fans, gott be in it to win it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I thought about this, and the whole playoffs was really set up for us to succeed. Denver took out what looked like a threatening Steelers team. Baltimore was a challenge, but we had to play at least one great team.

On the NFC side, the two teams (Saints and Packers) with elite QB's who can tear apart our secondary and outscore Brady were both eliminated.

Now, we face a pretty solid team in the Giants, which will be a challenge. But we could have faced a lot worse. The stage is set for a Patriots Super Bowl title, we just need to go out and take advantage of it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Att: Duncan Orange

First let me say I am a Pats fan and Boston teams fan with my 1st 21 years in Maine. My last 45 have been in SF Bay area so I'm a 49ers fan too. I would have been in a real quandary had 49ers been facing the Pats but would have leaned toward Pats but not really unhappy if either had won.

You say Pats couldn't have beaten Saints or Packers. Do you think they would have beaten SF ? I will admit that the 49ers coming back twice in last 2 minutes vs Brees seemed like Alex Smith sold his soul to the devil to do so. But don't you think Giants were lucky to beat SF with only points scored in 2nd half from a fluke nicking of the knee by 1/2 inch which gave them the ball on the 20 yd line & they scored a TD. Then the dummy receiver fumbles in OT to again give them the gift field goal from the 20 yd line. NY punted 10 times in the 2nd half and Manning was hit 21 times & sacked 6 times. Two 49ers collided twice to prevent interceptions and with 2 min to go the refs called a stop in the progress on a running back who was still upright when the ball was taken from him. It was a blatant fumble but couldn't be challenged. If the Giant fans didn't say "whew we are lucky to win that game", then they are not true football fans.

OK, Alex Smith is not 1/2 QB of Green Bay, New Orleans &, of course, Brady, but it would have been a classic battle of great offense vs great defense & I think it would have been a "Pick Em' game. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Now I need the Pats to avenge the SB loss a couple of years ago and also for me the SF loss 2 weeks ago !!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I think the Packers would have been toast They were exposed in the final weeks before the playoffs, plus the coach sat Rodgers for the final game - the kiss of death in my book. 

The Saints would have been a fun game to watch.

I think the Ravens would have waxed the Giants.

Looking forward to an outstanding game, and a Patriots victory, on Sunday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I think the Saints in a dome would have been by far the worst match up for the Pats. The Giants are probably easier for the Pats to beat than the Packers. It's hard to think the Packers would still be dropping passes if they actually were able to make it to the super bowl. The Pats biggest weakness is the defensive backfield and Eli is the worst of the three QB's in discussion. He likes to throw it up for grabs a few times a game so the Pats need to make him pay for it. The 49ers were to busy running into each other to convert the gimmes. This game will be very tough but I feel of the three choices the Pats match up best with the Giants. ,The 49ers would have been even better, too bad they can't field punts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....:
    [QUOTE]i thought our chances vs. Packers and Saints would have been just as good as vs. Giants, but the type of game played would have been different. I would have expected tons of total scoring vs. Saints and Packers. I can see the Giants game being low scoring to moderately high.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]
    I agree..  all we ever hear are matchup issues for the Pats regardless of who the opponent is and in most cases the Pats still win.  They adjust the best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Baloney... Jints are the best team in the NFC, easily the hottest team going into the Playoffs with the lone exception being the Pats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Baloney... Jints are the best team in the NFC, easily the hottest team going into the Playoffs with the lone exception being the Pats.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    Well, Wozzy... the way the talking heads are putting it, the Giants with their 5 game winning streak IS the HOT team!  Pats are toast!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gianfran. Show gianfran's posts

In Response to Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....:
    [QUOTE]The Saints and Packers would have been matchup nightmares for the Patriots.  Without weak secondary and limited pass rusher, Brees and Rodgers would have spread out the ball all over the field and put up 40+ points on us.    We would have put points up on them as well probably in the 30s, but I doubt we could have kept up in that shootout, which probably would have been the highest in NFL history.  The Giants are a different beast and a much better matchup for us.   These experts forget, that the first half of the Patriots matchup with the Giants was a stalemate and the second half turned into the kind of game, last team with the ball was going to win.   Here's why the Pats will win. - Since the Giants beat us, we haven't lost a game.  Plus we've been slapped around by the Dolphins, Broncos, and Bills in the first half of games and came back to destroy them.  If the Giants take an early lead, this roster won't panic.  It's much better designed to handle a close game than in the 2007 team.  - The Giants momentum was hurt by two weeks off.  If this game was played a week after the NFC/AFC Championship, I would take the Giants in this game, because they were the hot team playing the best football.   Two weeks off, gave the Patriots more time to get Gronkowski's ankle healed, and game plan.   Football is all about momentum, and two weeks off, only hurts a hot team like the Giants.  -  Brady got his bad playoff game out of the way.  The pressure is off him, remember last year going into the Jets playoff game, Brady was playing perfect football it caught up to him.   Brady can play relax on Sunday and just make plays.    Brady threw for 5,000 yards this season lets remember.  - Our defense is stepping up.  Our defensive line featuring guys like Wilfork, Brace, Ellis are playing great football, and with Mayo and Spikes, the Giants running game wont be an issue.    Our secondary is still weak (although the combo of McCourty and Chung is a major upgrade from earlier in the year)  and Manning will probably throw for 300 hundred yards, but as long as we limit the big 30+ yard scoring touchdowns, we'll limit this team to field goals in the red zone.   My prediction for the game is a 37-23 game.  Both teams will move the ball up and down the field, but the Patriots will have the advantage in the red zone offensively. 
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gianfran. Show gianfran's posts

In Response to Pats Probably Couldn't Have Beat The Saints or Packers.... But They Will Beat The Giants.....: How can the Jints be better on defense. During the regular season they allowed 400 points while the Pats allowed 342.  I don't understand how they are now made out to be a defensive powerhouse.  And as to Eli being clutch in the 4th quarter, I think that it's a small samople of games and he was just lucky.  They lost 7 games and the most recent loss was to the Redskins......yah a consistent clutch player. Over their entire body of work, Brady is by far the more clutch player. The media is just pandering to the New York fans who outnumber the NE fans by about 5 to 1.  Just ignore the marketing BS.  
    [QUOTE]The Saints and Packers would have been matchup nightmares for the Patriots.  Without weak secondary and limited pass rusher, Brees and Rodgers would have spread out the ball all over the field and put up 40+ points on us.    We would have put points up on them as well probably in the 30s, but I doubt we could have kept up in that shootout, which probably would have been the highest in NFL history.  The Giants are a different beast and a much better matchup for us.   These experts forget, that the first half of the Patriots matchup with the Giants was a stalemate and the second half turned into the kind of game, last team with the ball was going to win.   Here's why the Pats will win. - Since the Giants beat us, we haven't lost a game.  Plus we've been slapped around by the Dolphins, Broncos, and Bills in the first half of games and came back to destroy them.  If the Giants take an early lead, this roster won't panic.  It's much better designed to handle a close game than in the 2007 team.  - The Giants momentum was hurt by two weeks off.  If this game was played a week after the NFC/AFC Championship, I would take the Giants in this game, because they were the hot team playing the best football.   Two weeks off, gave the Patriots more time to get Gronkowski's ankle healed, and game plan.   Football is all about momentum, and two weeks off, only hurts a hot team like the Giants.  -  Brady got his bad playoff game out of the way.  The pressure is off him, remember last year going into the Jets playoff game, Brady was playing perfect football it caught up to him.   Brady can play relax on Sunday and just make plays.    Brady threw for 5,000 yards this season lets remember.  - Our defense is stepping up.  Our defensive line featuring guys like Wilfork, Brace, Ellis are playing great football, and with Mayo and Spikes, the Giants running game wont be an issue.    Our secondary is still weak (although the combo of McCourty and Chung is a major upgrade from earlier in the year)  and Manning will probably throw for 300 hundred yards, but as long as we limit the big 30+ yard scoring touchdowns, we'll limit this team to field goals in the red zone.   My prediction for the game is a 37-23 game.  Both teams will move the ball up and down the field, but the Patriots will have the advantage in the red zone offensively. 
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]