Pats re-sign Branch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Pats re-sign Branch

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719617/schefter-branch-back-in-fold

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Re: Pats re-sign Branch

Running back?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Wow, how much? I hope not more than a 1 year deal for a mill.

Now I am begining to think we may just go into the season with just 3 backs. We have so many receiving options hard to imagine a commitment to the run.

I mean how many WR's do you need? We already have 2 dynamic TE's and a 3rd who caught 41 passes 2 years ago.

Are we gonna go Empty set, NO back, 5 Wides??

I cant say I am excited about this. I thought Brady was over this guy.

Wes, Branch, Lloyd, Ocho, Underwood, Edleman, Slater, Gonzalez???

I hope this means that Wes is getting traded or else I dont get it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Pats re-sign Branch:
    [QUOTE]Wow, how much? I hope not more than a 1 year deal for a mill. Now I am begining to think we may just go into the season with just 3 backs. We have so many receiving options hard to imagine a commitment to the run. I mean how many WR's do you need? We already have 2 dynamic TE's and a 3rd who caught 41 passes 2 years ago. Are we gonna go Empty set, NO back, 5 Wides?? I cant say I am excited about this. I thought Brady was over this guy. Wes, Branch, Lloyd, Ocho, Underwood, Edleman, Slater, Gonzalez??? I hope this means that Wes is getting traded or else I dont get it.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

LOL, It's called competition.  Pats have to hire 15 more quys including draftees to get up to 80 to start camp.
    Also see other thread with Kraft saying more is yet to come.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I understand competition, but why bring back the same cast?  Branch started too many games last year IMO and was the main reason for Ocho's lack of production and also Bradys lack of attention to Ocho. It was clear to me that ocho was more dynamic last year and the only reason he didnt see the field was due to Brady being more comfortable w/Branch and not having patience w/Ocho. By everything I saw on the sidelines w/Brady and Ocho, it looked like brady just didnt want to be bothered w/someone who needed his hand held.

I like that Branch is comfortable, but how many plus 30 y/o WR's are expected to make the team? Im just saying is WR really a priority at this point? We need defensive Bodies. How many of our current lineman outside of Vince are reliable and are playmakers???   We are losing Warren, Ellis, Carter, Anderson. We have question marks w/Brace, Pryor, etc.

Maybe Branch gets cut in camp, but if so, like I said, I just hopes its a 1 yr/1 mill deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

As I've said before it means zilch as to whether or not he'll be on the roster next August.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like this, glad they brought him back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]I understand competition, but why bring back the same cast?  Branch started too many games last year IMO and was the main reason for Ocho's lack of production and also Bradys lack of attention to Ocho. It was clear to me that ocho was more dynamic last year and the only reason he didnt see the field was due to Brady being more comfortable w/Branch and not having patience w/Ocho. By everything I saw on the sidelines w/Brady and Ocho, it looked like brady just didnt want to be bothered w/someone who needed his hand held. I like that Branch is comfortable, but how many plus 30 y/o WR's are expected to make the team? Im just saying is WR really a priority at this point? We need defensive Bodies. How many of our current lineman outside of Vince are reliable and are playmakers???   We are losing Warren, Ellis, Carter, Anderson. We have question marks w/Brace, Pryor, etc. Maybe Branch gets cut in camp, but if so, like I said, I just hopes its a 1 yr/1 mill deal.

Here ya go Jay.  Ask and you shall receive, LOL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719621/opinion-branchs-1-year-deal

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Thx Pezz.

Maybe he is just insurance in case Underood doesnt improve, or Gonzy isnt healthy.  I also think they realize Lloyd, may still be slow to catch on at first.

Its one thing to know the system,. its entirely different to get on page w/Brady and earn HIS trust.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

solid resigning, good vet leadership for the new guys in the patriot way. we will see how he does in camp.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]Thx Pezz. Maybe he is just insurance in case Underood doesnt improve, or Gonzy isnt healthy.  I also think they realize Lloyd, may still be slow to catch on at first. Its one thing to know the system,. its entirely different to get on page w/Brady and earn HIS trust.

It's to make sure you have a guy on the roster that absolutely knows what he's doing at the ouside WR postition. I certainly believe LLoyd will be starter but if the other guys tyring to get that other spot aren't getting it done Belichick is surely going with the player that knows what he's doing and that's Branch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Tp, you are right. Maybe Branch starts the first few games while Lloyd gets up to speed and then takes over midway.

This is what most of thought would happen w/Ocho last year. It Still makes Ocho an expensive backup next year unless they really plan on restructuring him just to cut him, then maybe that makes sense.

9.4mill to Wes
    4mill/plus bonus to Lloyd
    3mill to Ocho
    1mill(?) for Branch
    Crumbs for Edleman, Slater, Gonzy.

Im saying can we pay a RB 3-5 million to make this offense complete?? We sure have no problem wasting $ when it comes to Brady's weaponry. I just hope this means they target a RB high or plan on trading for one. I will disspointed if we go after R.Brown or someone else old. Like someone else said, we are 1 Great Back away from having the most potent offense I can remember.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

He has been a steady playmaker and Brady absolutely loves him. Not what we was physically, but 4th and 16 in the Super Bowl, who made the clutch grab to keep them alive? It was Branch, great team player, glad he'll be with the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]
    ...Wes, Branch, Lloyd, Ocho, Underwood, Edleman, Slater, Gonzalez??? I hope this means that Wes is getting traded or else I dont get it.

You forgot Stallworth. I think though, that you can remove Ocho and Underwood. They won't be around. Slater is a ST guy, Edelman is really a utility guy. I see Wes, Lloyd, Stallworth and Branch as 1-4, then between Edelman and Gonzo for the 5th. Hard to see both Edelman and Gonzo making it if everyone is healthy.

I also don't see why some are saying they should still draft a WR?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Tp, you are right. Maybe Branch starts the first few games while Lloyd gets up to speed and then takes over midway. This is what most of thought would happen w/Ocho last year. It Still makes Ocho an expensive backup next year unless they really plan on restructuring him just to cut him, then maybe that makes sense. 9.4mill to Wes 4mill/plus bonus to Lloyd 3mill to Ocho 1mill(?) for Branch Crumbs for Edleman, Slater, Gonzy. Im saying can we pay a RB 3-5 million to make this offense complete?? We sure have no problem wasting $ when it comes to Brady's weaponry. I just hope this means they target a RB high or plan on trading for one. I will disspointed if we go after R.Brown or someone else old. Like someone else said, we are 1 Great Back away from having the most potent offense I can remember.

Patience....Still got to bring in 15 guys.  Maybe 1-2 RB's, 1-2 OL and the rest on D.  Even after they reach 80, the sideshow will begin with various replacements within those.  They always do that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

I swear some of you talk like its your money being spent on these players, NEWS FLASH!!!!! ITS NOT!!!!! Kraft can sign who he wants to whatever he wants when he wants, Deion deserves to be here just as much as Ocho does and if they wanna give them a boat load of money so what? Im sure they know what there doing in foxborough, chill guys.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

[QUOTE]I understand competition, but why bring back the same cast?  Branch started too many games last year IMO and was the main reason for Ocho's lack of production and also Bradys lack of attention to Ocho. It was clear to me that ocho was more dynamic last year and the only reason he didnt see the field was due to Brady being more comfortable w/Branch and not having patience w/Ocho. By everything I saw on the sidelines w/Brady and Ocho, it looked like brady just didnt want to be bothered w/someone who needed his hand held. I like that Branch is comfortable, but how many plus 30 y/o WR's are expected to make the team? Im just saying is WR really a priority at this point? We need defensive Bodies. How many of our current lineman outside of Vince are reliable and are playmakers???   We are losing Warren, Ellis, Carter, Anderson. We have question marks w/Brace, Pryor, etc. Maybe Branch gets cut in camp, but if so, like I said, I just hopes its a 1 yr/1 mill deal.

First, I would say that BB's opinion seems to be different. He appears to want to be sure to field the BEST WR/TE group that he can, which makes sense.

I don't think has any implication on Welker being traded. Personally I hope that he isn't. Because regardless of what people say on this board it would be very difficult to replace what he brings to the table.

I'm not sure, but I would not be surprised for BB to load up on a young, fast D in the draft, maybe trading for one vet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I have since got over it. My bad for the initial reaction...

You are right. Kraft has the right to spend his money however he choses. As a longtime Pats fan and supporter and someone who has went to his share of games, I have the right to state my desire for a younger playmaker that is not 30 plus, besides Slater n Edleman. As a fan of Branch, I also reserve the right to change my stance if he does make the team and contribute positively.

Like B.B. I only want whats best. I like Branch, his attitude, his persona, etc. I would just like one of Brady's targets outside of TE to be someone who wasnt around in the Reagan era....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

I hope the Pats eventrually have similar riches at the pass rushing OLB/DE, and S/CB positions. Brady may throw for 6,000 yds this yr and break his own 50 TD record. The O will be a juggernaurt, the D as of today is a work in progress, hope BB drafts D needs w/his #1's and #2's.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

The Patriots will get younger at the position eventually, but whoever it is will need time to develop.  In the meantime, I want guys out there who Brady trusts and who can at least make a couple plays here and there and be where they're expected to be.  Branch will do that.  He's clearly losing steam physically, but going from the #2 receiver last year to the #3 guy behind Lloyd this year should help keep him fresh, and hold the position over while (HOPEFULLY) a 1st or 2nd round draft pick learns the ropes.  Ocho is toast, Underwood and Gonzalez are fringe roster guys, and Edelman and Stallworth provide solid depth and spot playing ability.  I believe the ideal scenario is Welker-Lloyd-Branch to start the season, with Stallworth filling in at various times for all three, and a rookie slowly getting integrated and getting his feet wet to take over for Branch in 2013.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pyegian, thanks!  Thats the best explanation Ive heard so far.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Branch caught 51% of his 90 targets last year.

Gronk,WW and Hern were all over 70% which is top 10 in the league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Wes, Branch, Lloyd, Ocho, Underwood, Edleman, Slater, Gonzalez, Stallworth. .  . out of that group Wes and Lloyd make the team for sure and the rest battle for 3rd, 4th, and 5th position along with one drafted WR.  Slater and Stallworth have good Special Team skills, if you remember when Stallworth was here he was always first down field on kick coverage.  Edleman can play both sides of the ball and return punts so maybe he isn't counted as a wr this year and maybe he is the 3rd QB if Hoyer is traded. 
    I'd say whatever wideout they draft ends up on the practice squad next year.   So I see Ocho, Branch, Underwood, Edleman, Slater, Stallworth, and Gonzalez in a battle for 3 slots as wideouts . . . should be interesting and it would not surprise me to see Gonzalez (if he is healthy), Stallworth and Edleman standing at the end of training camp and Slater listed as a safety.  That means Branch and Ocho are most likely gone at the end of training camp because they do not bring anything to the table in terms of special teams, punt returns, or the ability to play on the other side of the ball when needed.