Pats Salary Cap issues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Pats Salary Cap issues

I was just looking at Salary Cao numbers for the Pats and while this year looks fine, something to consider is that they have continued to 'kick the can down the road' with Brady's number - this year TB costs 8M toward the cap, next year that skyrockets to 22M. Now they could do the same sort of renegotiation next year, but this is just increasing the eventual hammer blow that is TB's salary. His average salary for the 4 year extension was supposed to be around 20M I think. Not sure how much was deferred last year, but this year we are deferring 14M toward the last two years. Presumably there will be another extension coming up, but ...the Pats are going to be hit hard at some point.
    When you look at Vollmer and Chung next year, Gronk and Hernandez the following year ... there are some large additions to salaries that are coming and not a lot of large salaries that will be disappearing.
    This may explain the WW negotiations a bit. The team is going to hit cap hell at some point fairly soon and may not actually be able to afford both WW and TB in 2013 and beyond.
    I hadn't really looked at this before, but it has to be a concern for the team. They are taking a pretty big hit this year in 'dead money' for folks no longer on the team, but that is presumably money that will end up in contract extensions for the guys I listed above.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Pats Salary Cap issues

In Response to Pats Salary Cap issues:
    I was just looking at Salary Cao numbers for the Pats and while this year looks fine, something to consider is that they have continued to 'kick the can down the road' with Brady's number - this year TB costs 8M toward the cap, next year that skyrockets to 22M. Now they could do the same sort of renegotiation next year, but this is just increasing the eventual hammer blow that is TB's salary. His average salary for the 4 year extension was supposed to be around 20M I think. Not sure how much was deferred last year, but this year we are deferring 14M toward the last two years. Presumably there will be another extension coming up, but ...the Pats are going to be hit hard at some point. When you look at Vollmer and Chung next year, Gronk and Hernandez the following year ... there are some large additions to salaries that are coming and not a lot of large salaries that will be disappearing. This may explain the WW negotiations a bit. The team is going to hit cap hell at some point fairly soon and may not actually be able to afford both WW and TB in 2013 and beyond. I hadn't really looked at this before, but it has to be a concern for the team. They are taking a pretty big hit this year in 'dead money' for folks no longer on the team, but that is presumably money that will end up in contract extensions for the guys I listed above.
    Posted by mia76

in 2 yerars they will have some relief fom tv contracts even if the cap increases gradually rather than balloon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

There is no relief in site. Belichick is hedging his bets that Brady and he will last as long as the team cap can be adjusted. After Brady and Belichick retire at the same time, the team cap explosion issue will be someone else's problem. This happens with almost every great team, at one time or another.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Brady has never had a problem restructuring his contract.  They will give him a bonus (up front money) and spread the rest.  That's how the money game is played.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Salary Cap issues:
    Brady has never had a problem restructuring his contract.  They will give him a bonus (up front money) and spread the rest.  That's how the money game is played.
    Posted by tcal2-

But at some point the bill comes due - they can keep putting it off until he retires, but by then it will be half of the next years salary cap. Think about it - they are defering 12 million this year, so that gets spread onto the next two years = 26M each year. Next year they defer another 12M so his cap is only 14M, then 2014 cap is 38M. So they sign an extension and defer another 20M over say three years. 18M in 2014, 27M in 2015, 2016, and 2017 ...etc.
    At some point he retires, they trade or cut him, and all that deferred money comes off the next years cap as dead money.
    And I am pretty sure there was already a sizeable cap deferment from previous year so my numbers may be low.

Sections
Shortcuts