Pats salary cap today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats salary cap today

Spotrac has the Pats at a 2014 adjusted cap allowance of $139 and a top 51 and dead money at $128. They have approx $11m available without the Edelman and Fells numbers available. 

I have Wilson saving approx $1.2M if cut

aside from the Vince saga, I can't see the Pats doing anything with Connolly until the C situation is resolved. Seems really quiet with Wendell even taking visits. 

Team still needs DE and DT depth...interior OL depth, TE help

looks like they need about $4M to sign rookies unless they trade back

carry $5M in season

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Pats salary cap today

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not but overthecap.com has them needing about 1.4 in cap space for rookies this year based on their present draft position.

http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap-2014.php

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not but overthecap.com has them needing about 1.4 in cap space for rookies this year based on their present draft position.

[/QUOTE]

That's only for their first round draft choice. Not all the draft picks...team also likes to bring in a big UDFA class....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

With the Edleman & Lafell signings, i'd add 4.5 million to our cap space, i'm hard pressed to see them keeping Amendola, i'm guessing he is designated a June cut shortly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The NFLPA has the Pats' cap space listed at $16,964,036  this morning. Not sure if that includes the LaFell deal. Depends on whether that has been officially filed with the NFLPA yet.  I'm not sure how quickly teams are required to file, though I'm sure it's pretty fast. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's only for their first round draft choice. Not all the draft picks...team also likes to bring in a big UDFA class....

[/QUOTE]

Sorry wrong link. Again I don't know how accurate this is but according to this they need 4.3 for the pool but only 1.4 in cap space? 

http://overthecap.com/2014-rookie-pool-estimates.php

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The NFLPA has the Pats' cap space listed at $16,964,036  this morning. Not sure if that includes the LaFell deal. Depends on whether that has been officially filed with the NFLPA yet.  I'm not sure how quickly teams are required to file, though I'm sure it's pretty fast. 

[/QUOTE]

That's not going to be correct. The Revis deal isn't fully understood yet either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was before Revis and what looks like a 7 million cap hit this year. 

And in regard to the OP the remaining needs can be addressed in the draft as part of the 4 million they will need for a draft class. Pats in great position as they already shored up 2 needs with veteran receivers, 1 of the best cb's in history in his prime, and an impact cb/ safety who is the physical presence we all wanted. Aside from the DT position, and possibly a move TE, everything else is more depth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And in regard to the OP the remaining needs can be addressed in the draft as part of the 4 million they will need for a draft class. Pats in great position as they already shored up 2 needs with veteran receivers, 1 of the best cb's in history in his prime, and an impact cb/ safety who is the physical presence we all wanted. Aside from the DT position, and possibly a move TE, everything else is more depth.

[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but the way the link I posted reads they only need bout 1.5 in cap space for their 2014 draft choices?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This is super interesting link:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2014

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Here's the latest NFLPA report, updated at 4:30 this morning.  Looks like the team has two business days to file the contract with the league and the league then has two business days to file the contract with the NFLPA, though the expectation is that the contract should be filed with the league via overnight mail the day it is signed, then overnighted to the NFLPA the next day. 

This report is the official report and therefore the most accurate available, though it may be as much as four business days out of date.  

(a) Any agreement between any player and any Club concerning terms and

conditions of employment shall be set forth in writing in a Player Contract as soon as practicable. Each Club shall provide to the NFL a copy of each such Player Contract within two days of the execution of such contract by the player and the Club. The NFL shall provide to the NFLPA a copy of each executed Player Contract it receives from a Club within two business days of its receipt of such Player Contract. It is anticipated that each Club will send a copy of each such Player Contract to the NFL by overnight mail the day it is so executed, and the NFL will send a copy of such copy to the NFLPA by overnight mail the day it is so received. The NFL shall provide to the NFLPA any salary information received from a Club which is relevant to whether such Player Contract complies with Article 7 and/or Article 13, within two business days following the NFL’s receipt of such information. Promptly upon but no later than two business days after the signing of any Veteran with less than three Accrued Seasons to a Player Contract, the signing Club shall notify the NFL, which shall notify the NFLPA of such signing. 

NFLPA Report

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but the way the link I posted reads they only need bout 1.5 in cap space for their 2014 draft choices?

[/QUOTE]

I think 4 to 5 million in cap room for a draft class is pretty standard depending on if you draft in the top 10 pr the bottom 10. But maybe that is cash pay outs, and you are correct that it's only 1.5 or so...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was more like $5 million, but not sure exactly.  Mid-round rookies typically have first-year cap hits around $500K, so you could only sign three mid-rounders for $1.5 million in cap room. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The slotted cap hit for the Pats first choice is $1.3, for the second choice is $600k...and so on for each choice...so without a trade down, the first 2 rounds will cost the Pats $2M...balance draft choices and UDFA will bring it to between $3M and $3.5M

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was more like $5 million, but not sure exactly.  Mid-round rookies typically have first-year cap hits around $500K, so you could only sign three mid-rounders for $1.5 million in cap room. 

[/QUOTE]

Just saw this on patsfan.com. Looks like this guy just spit balled some numbers but he is saying that they will need roughly 2 mil for draft picks in cap space.

At the time of the draft, the Patriots figure to have far more than 51 players signed or tendered. They will not need any additional cap room in order to draft, since all of the draft choices’ automatic rookie tenders of $420,000 will be below the 51st-highest cap number on the team. The Patriots’ 2014 rookie pool figures to be approximately $4,000,000, although the exact number will not be determined until after the draft. Of the rookie pool amount, only about $2 million will count against the cap, due to the Rule of 51. - See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=216#.UyWdz1yD75w

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=216#.UyWdz1yD75w

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just saw this on patsfan.com. Looks like this guy just spit balled some numbers but he is saying that they will need roughly 2 mil for draft picks in cap space.

At the time of the draft, the Patriots figure to have far more than 51 players signed or tendered. They will not need any additional cap room in order to draft, since all of the draft choices’ automatic rookie tenders of $420,000 will be below the 51st-highest cap number on the team. The Patriots’ 2014 rookie pool figures to be approximately $4,000,000, although the exact number will not be determined until after the draft. Of the rookie pool amount, only about $2 million will count against the cap, due to the Rule of 51. - See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=216#.UyWdz1yD75w

[/QUOTE]

That's a good point . . . he's probably right that most of the rookie cap hits will be below the top-51, which means that the Pats don't have to worry about them until cut down day.  Once the regular season starts, all players count against the cap, but until then only the top 51 do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good read from @patscap posted today...

Updating my Patriots salary cap picture after the Revis signing but before accounting for the Browner, Lafell, and Edelman signings. I will be updating this post once their numbers come in.

Right now, I have the Patriots 2014 cap commitments as $128,725,017. The 2014 Patriots adjusted cap number is $139,109,051. The Patriots 2014 adjusted cap number of $139,109,051 minus cap commitment of $128,725,017 equals $10,384,034 in cap space with 59 signed players. This cap space number is before taking into the impact of the Browner, Lafell, and Edelman signings and includes Wilfork’s $11.6 million cap number.

As you can see, based on my numbers above, the Patriots are under their projected 2014 cap by $10.3 million if they do not cut any veterans or renegotiate any contracts. There are plenty of opportunities to do both, thereby opening up millions of dollars under the cap. Here are some possible ways that the Pats could free up cap space. Please note that I am NOT advocating that the Patriots do all of these salary-cap maneuvers. The bolded maneuvers are my current predictions.

1a.) Release Dan Connolly – net cap savings of $2.58 million
    1b.) Extend Dan Connolly through the 2015 season converting $2 million of his $3 million salary into a signing bonus – cap savings of $1 million

2a.)Reduce Wilfork’s salary from $7.5 million to $4 million while converting $3.5million of his salary into a NTLBE incentive – cap savings of $3.5 million
    2b) Release Wilfork – net cap savings of $7.58 million
    2c) Extend Wilfork through the 2016 season – converting $6 million of his $7.5 million salary into a signing bonus – cap savings of $4 million
    For more ways to lower Wilfork’s cap hit see this blog entry.

3.) Convert $4.5 million of Mankins’s $6.5 million salary into a signing bonus – cap savings of $3 million while pushing out $1.5 million of signing bonus proration to the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

4.) Extend Gostkowski’s contract by 4 years while giving him a $5 million signing bonus and lowering his salary from $2.9 million to $900,000 – cap savings – $1,000,000

5.) Extend McCourty’s contract by 4 years while giving him a $10 million signing bonus while lowering his 2014 salary from $3.92 million to $1 million – cap savings – $1,000,000

6.) Release Adrian Wilson – net cap savings of $746,666

As you can see from above, the Pats could create more than $16.75 million in additional cap room if they chose to do so. The Pats could create more than $10 million in additional cap room WITHOUT releasing a single player. That is, the $16.75 million and the $10 million figures are in addition to the $10 million in cap space that I believe that the Pats have before accounting for the impact of the Browner, Lafell, and Edelman signings and includes Wilfork’s $11.6 million cap number.

When determining the cap savings from releasing players, keep in mind the Rule of 51. When a player from the top 51 is released or traded, the base salary of the player with the 52nd-highest cap number is added to the cap. For example, if Connolly was released, his cap number would be lowered by $3,000,000, although the actual team savings would be only $2,580,000 because another player’s $420,000 base salary or tender would be added to the team cap.

The Rule of 51 also applies when free agents are signed. If the free agent’s cap number is among the 51-highest on the team, the base salary of the player whose cap number had been 51st-highest no longer counts against the cap. In most cases, then, the effect of signing a free agent will be $495,000 less than his cap number for 2014. To determine about how much can be spent on free agents, add $495,000 to the team’s cap room per free agent signed. So, if the Patriots enter the free-agency period $7,000,000 under the cap, they could sign one free agent for a 2014 cap number of $7,495,000, or two free agents for a combined cap number $7,990,000, or three for $8,485,000, or four for $8,980,000, and so on.

At the time of the draft, the Patriots figure to have far more than 51 players signed or tendered. They will not need any additional cap room in order to draft, since all of the draft choices’ automatic rookie tenders of $490,000 will be below the 51st-highest cap number on the team. The Patriots’ 2014 rookie pool figures to be approximately $4,000,000, although the exact number will not be determined until after the draft. Of the rookie pool amount, only about $2 million will count against the cap, due to the Rule of 51. Somewhere between $90,000 and $100,000 of that will be used immediately after the draft to sign undrafted Free Agents. The rest will not be needed until July, when the draft choices are signed.

The Patriots would also need to reserve at least $1,696,800 in order to pay for a 8-man practice squad and to pay for players, 52 and 53.
    Over the past couple of years the Patriots have used about 2 million dollars for in-season replacements.

I consider the Patriots to have at maximum 4 million in easily reached NLTBE incentives. Do not know if the Patriots leave themselves a cushion for those. Wanted to mention them since any reached NLTBE incentives in 2014 will likely lower the Patriots adjusted cap number. For the purposes of this exercise, I will guess that the Patriots will leave themselves a cushion for half of the amount or $2 million.

• Mayo’s per-game roster bonus – $312,500
    • Mayo’s Pro Bowl bonus – $300,000
    • Vollmer’s playing time incentive – $2 million
    • Kelly’s per-game roster bonus – $550,000
    • Kelly’s playing time incentive maxes at $645,000
    • Amendola’s per-game roster bonus – $125,000
    • Hoomanawanui’s per-game roster bonus – $18,750

Please note that as Jocelyn Robichaud once pointed out in an email: “The current cap status is calculated with the top 51 earners. On the other hand, not all of these players will make the team. Thus, as the team shrinks its roster to 53 players, it will create cap room unless it keeps all of its top earners. For example, let us say that Jake Bequette ($570,000 in salary) does not make the team and is replaced by Ja’Gared Davis ($420,000 in salary). This would free $150,000 in cap room for the Patriots. If Justin Green makes the team instead of Tavon Wilson, that would create $353,444 in cap space. If Armond Armstead makes the 53-man roster instead of Marcus Forston, that would create $150,000 in cap space. With just 3 those roster decisions the Patriots could create over $650,000 in cap space when the rosters are cut down to 53 players. Figuring that the Robichaud roster effect will create about $2 million in cap space the Patriots would probably like to enter training camp under their adjusted cap by about 6 million dollars.

Current cap space – 10,300,000
    Draft picks = (-2,000,000)
    Players 52, 53, and practice squad (-1,700,000)
    Robichaud roster effect – (2,000,000)
    Cushion for replacing injured players during the season (-2,000,000)
    Cushion for reached NLTBE incentives (-2,000,000)

leaves a total of $6.6 million in cap space to account for Lafell, Browner, Edelman, and future free agent signings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

Generally the base salary of rookies won't effect the cap, just the prorated bonus, because of the top 51 rule.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a good point . . . he's probably right that most of the rookie cap hits will be below the top-51, which means that the Pats don't have to worry about them until cut down day.  Once the regular season starts, all players count against the cap, but until then only the top 51 do.

[/QUOTE]

So do you interpret it to say they only need to allocate between 1.6 and 2 mil in salary cap space  for draft choices based on the rule of 51? If so that would give them a little more flexibility in free agency.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So do you interpret it to say they only need to allocate between 1.6 and 2 mil in salary cap space  for draft choices based on the rule of 51? If so that would give them a little more flexibility in free agency.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think that could be right.  A late first rounder will have a cap hit around 1.5 million and will be in the top 51 and it's possible a second rounder will be in the top 51 too with a cap hit below 1 million, but beyond that most rookies should be below top 51.  Once the season begins, of course, they've got to get everyone in under the cap. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the Edleman & Lafell signings, i'd add 4.5 million to our cap space, i'm hard pressed to see them keeping Amendola, i'm guessing he is designated a June cut shortly.

[/QUOTE] Cutting him saves them nothing! The cap hit would remain the same for this year and he would still count against next years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think that could be right.  A late first rounder will have a cap hit around 1.5 million and will be in the top 51 and it's possible a second rounder will be in the top 51 too with a cap hit below 1 million, but beyond that most rookies should be below top 51.  Once the season begins, of course, they've got to get everyone in under the cap. 

[/QUOTE]

Also if a first, second, or third round pick are in the top 51 then they'll drop a different player out of the top 51.

Right now, though, overthecap is actually over-estimating the amount of cap needed by the Pats and other teams to sign their draft picks. Most of the time, when these top picks end up in the top 51, they knock players out of the top 51 who have base salaries greater than the first year min.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Cutting him saves them nothing! The cap hit would remain the same for this year and he would still count against next years.

[/QUOTE]

I agree as well..Amendola has survived the ax. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree as well..Amendola has survived the ax. 

[/QUOTE]

If Amendola was going to be cut, it would have been before the 2M base salary was guarranteed, like a week ago.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Amendola isn't going anywhere unless he gets hurt... again! He has the most skill of any receiver on the team... when healthy.

I don't know if the dude has bad luck or is brittle or both. When you look at his numbers.... when healthy he is  quality receiver.