pats = same old problem - defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Re: pats = same old problem - defense

The defense really needs to improve.  For the 2nd week now bothe teames (Charges and Dolphins) gained 300 and 400 yards on the Patriots.

Thank goodness ( or Tom BradY) for keeping up with anywone, and winning games

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I want to spit on all you wagon fans!!! Phonies! 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense:
    Posted by 49Patriots

Dude, simmer....

What's with people like you knocking everyone for having an opinion on how the defense is?

1. You don't own the board.
    2. Just because people (me included) think the defense didn't play well at all today don't makes us any less a Pats fan then you. Quite the contrary. Other then having to work I've seen every Pats game for 15 years+..
    3. Spit on us? Lmfao.. Sure bra..lol You'd never do no such thing.... keyboard killer..
    4. Week 3.. Take away action Jackson and we should be good. It would seem to me next week will be a good week to Gel and come together a little more on D..
    I would sort of liken that to last years Raven's game when our boys made a bunch of stops late in the game and o.t to gain some momentum going forward..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : He was great.   You have to pick one thing to take away. You live with the rest. It was like BB's approach in SB 25.   Let Thurman Thomas run for 100 and we win. He said that, it happened, but they throttled the Bills strength, the passing game. WHo cares what the stats are? I don't care if Jackson had 3000 yards receiving. The plan worked. Just like last week with Bess in the slot and contain Bush. It worked.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

That has been the problem. We plan on Brady throwing for 400+ yards and 3 TDs and if that doesn't happen we are in a fix with the D we have that "took one thing away".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Posted by 49Patriots

Grow up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Look, in the end the only thing that matters on defense is points allowed. We gave up 21 points to a high-powered Chargers offense. There's nothing to be ashamed of, especially with so many new guys on the team. Talk about overreacting. Two games into the season and people have made up their minds that the 2011 Patriots defense is going to be terrible. Imagine if Belichick had that attitude. "Our defense looks a little shaky. Can't win the Super Bowl with that defense. Oh well, time to start preparing for next year's draft."
    Posted by kevin13130

That's not all that matters. Keeping our O off the field with long drives by the opponent matters too. 21 points is not very good D and  a team giving up that many most of the time is not likely going to go far in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duc749Rider. Show Duc749Rider's posts

Just watched the Eagles dominate the Falcons with an awesome pass rush and they also have pro bowl cornerbacks.  Alas, with all that D firepower and as much as the Eagles hammered Matt Ryan with plenty of hits, Matt Ryan threw 4 touchdowns and the Falcons scored 35 points.  Guess the Eagles pass rush suxx and they need to cut their corners.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

sdc had 9 possessions and scored on only 3. not impressive if they were playing carolina. this is sdc though. some talking heads are saying they will be in the sb.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I think some criticism of the defense is warranted. The opportuninistic forcing of turnovers was good to see but allowing 10 for 12 third down conversions or whatever it was is unacceptable. However I do think it's important to give the defense a bit more time to gell before there is any real cause for alarm. 

However we are going to have a game where the offense is not rolling like that and we'll need the D to step up. I think the pass rush is important especially in the case of a team like the Chargers that can beat our smallish backs with size. But, there is time for corrections to be made. Saying "we're just like last year's D" is way premature.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Notable observations from the Sunday schedule:
    • Packers defense gave up 432 passing yards to Cam Newton. Allowed 23 points.
    • Baltimore allowed 358 passing yards to Matt Hasselbeck. Titans scored 26 points.
    • Oakland gave up 481 yards to the Bills, who scored 38 points. Vice versa, Bills made Jason Campbell look good with 323 passing yards. Raiders scored 35 points.
    • Matt Ryan threw 4 TD's on the Eagles' dream team defense. Turner runs for 114 yards and 1 TD. Falcons win with 35 points.
    • In comparison, we gave up 378 passing yards to Philip Rivers (i.e. not Hasselbeck, not Newton, not Campbell) and 21 points to the Chargers.
    Not to mention from last week:
    • Steelers defense allow 35 points to the Ravens, Flacco throws for 3 TD, Ray Rice runs for 107 yards
    • Brees throws for 419 yards against the Packers, Saints put up 34 points
    • Tony Romo throws for 342 yards against the Jets, put up 24 points and probably would've had more if Romo doesn't self-destruct at every 2-minute warning
    Let's see some statistics on the Patriots defense:
    • The Patriots are 15th in points allowed, ahead of the Eagles, Saints, Chargers, Packers, and Falcons (all Super Bowl contenders).
    • The Patriots have 6 sacks, tying the Bears, Steelers, and Jets. The Ravens, Lions, Vikings, and Chargers all have 4 sacks (all know how to pressure QB).
    • The Patriots are ranked 31st in passing yards allowed with 381 yards/game ahead of only the Green Bay Packers, who have allowed 400 passing yards/game.

I might be reading this wrong, but it seems like our defense fits right up there with all the Super Bowl teams. Now, I know some of you will point out that it's only been two weeks and the stats may be skewed so they don't reflect true performance. Well, if that line of thinking is true, then why are we judging our defense based on the same period of time?

But what do I know? Everyone else is probably right. After holding the Chargers to 21 points after a short week, it's time to panic and deem this defense incapable of stopping a pee wee team.
    Furthermore, let's ignore the turnovers, the goal line stops, and the situational football. Let's just look at how the Chargers moved the ball effectively through 5-yard checkdowns to Tolbert because God knows Belichick can't do anything to stop that. Forget gelling, we're doomed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

The Chargers scored 21, but should've had 42
    The pass rush was pathetic.
    They couldn't stop 3rd & 10's
    You can't count on turnovers.

But BB is SURE to be just SOOOO happy with the D's performance. Just like all the kool aid drinkers. I can see him tomorrow patting everyone on the back telling them how great they did. Telling them how many yards OTHER teams gave up against lesser QB's. He'll be telling Bodden not to worry about his penalties because, in the long run, the big picture, they didn't matter

BB is BIG on praise & sugar coating things. Maybe he'll give them a few days off

I wonder if when he points out all the missed plays, will they call him a bandwagon fan or a troll???

The D looked pitiful ALL DAY and if not for a few fortunate turnovers, we would have LOST

That said, the goal line stand 2 weeks in a row WAS mighty impressive & some good plays were made, just not on 3rd down when they counted. I'm pretty sure they'll be playing MUCH better in the 2nd half of the season, once they get some time to work together. There are many new faces out there

But again... I'm sure BB won't be showing continuous replays of the turnovers in the film room today & he won't be bringing everyone fresh baked cookies. He likely told them "It was a good win. Some good plays were made. I'll see you tomorrow so we can go over the film. We've got a LOT of things to work on"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : i'd agree with this also, i'm even more concerned about how the Pats deal with taller receivers, especially because the Pats may see Vincent Jackson again, Andre Johnson since the AFC South stinks and the Texans should finally win it, Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin...
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

i'm not gonna comment on the d as a whole here will start a thread.

however artist i will respond to your post and say our problem with tall receivers is devin mcc cannot play the tallest/ biggest receiver. put ras i on them or even bodden and see better results in the secondary. unfortunately ras i injured a thigh. hope its just a bruise for a week or 2, but he wasnt on the sideline afterwards. we'll see. bb needs to matchup instead of just playing 1 guy on one side and one on the other and letting the defense create the matchup

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In case anyone missed it, the juggernaut Miami dolphins were held to 13 points and Henne to 170 yards passing vs. a Houston team that was last in the league in pass def last year. All those making excuses for the Pats D need to wake up and realize just what we got here in NE, which is a very average (if that) defense.
    Posted by Patsman3

preach.
    we have potential.
    but it aint a final product.
    rivers coulda read a newspaper on many plays while waiting for receivers to get open.
    if its not san diego and a tough team doesnt say "here, we dont want the ball, you take it", 4 times, we'd be in a tough game and brady would have to torch the scoreboard to win. 
       you dont want to rely on that in the playoffs.
    they need to put ras i on the biggest toughest receiver the whole game (bb doent do this). hes the best cover guy we have. 
    and you gotta get more consistent pressure.
    not sacks, pressure.
    it was good at moments.
    not championship caliber yet.
    gotta get better.

nice opportunistic play by d. not something to rely on in the playoffs (see last year)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

The Chargers scored 21, but should've had 42 The pass rush was pathetic. They couldn't stop 3rd & 10's You can't count on turnovers. But BB is SURE to be just SOOOO happy with the D's performance. Just like all the kool aid drinkers. I can see him tomorrow patting everyone on the back telling them how great they did. Telling them how many yards OTHER teams gave up against lesser QB's. He'll be telling Bodden not to worry about his penalties because, in the long run, the big picture, they didn't matter BB is BIG on praise & sugar coating things. Maybe he'll give them a few days off I wonder if when he points out all the missed plays, will they call him a bandwagon fan or a troll??? The D looked pitiful ALL DAY and if not for a few fortunate turnovers, we would have LOST That said, the goal line stand 2 weeks in a row WAS mighty impressive & some good plays were made, just not on 3rd down when they counted. I'm pretty sure they'll be playing MUCH better in the 2nd half of the season, once they get some time to work together. There are many new faces out there But again... I'm sure BB won't be showing continuous replays of the turnovers in the film room today & he won't be bringing everyone fresh baked cookies. He likely told them "It was a good win. Some good plays were made. I'll see you tomorrow so we can go over the film. We've got a LOT of things to work on"
    Posted by hang3xc

exactly. my sentiment as well.
    facts are facts.
    there's no need to defend your teams honor here.
    we are all here to support our team. 
    seeing what needs to be improved is supporting the team as much yelling
     yeah! patriots!
    so dont attack other fans for sharing their thoughts. you are not that insecure, and the pats dont need defending.

peace all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : i'm no tgonna comment on teh d as a whole here will start a thread. however artist i will respond to yoru post and say our problem with tall receivers is devin mcc cannot play the tallest/ biggest receiver. put ras i on them or even bodden and see better results in the secondary. unfortunately ras i injured a thigh. hope its just a bruise for a week or 2, but he wasnt on the sideline afterwards. we'll see. bb needs to matchup instead of just playing 1 guy on one side and one on the other and letting the defense create the matchup
    Posted by bredbru

Hi Bredbru,

I alsready made this observation on another one of your. I think Belichick will do this next week by giving Bodden and Dowling the outside corners. I'm going to watch the buffalo game and see what I think we should do n coverage. Great team so far...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : exactly. my sentiment as well. facts are facts. there's no need to defend your teams honor here. we are all here to support our team.  seeing what needs to be improved is supporting the team as much yelling  yeah! patriots! so dont attack other fans for sharing their thoughts. you are not that insecure, and the pats dont need defending. peace all.
    Posted by bredbru

Noticed a change this week in the offense. Brady used the TE's  in the end zone and there was never a doubt in his mind in the catches. He knows they'll catch it and alwas throws it so it will get there exactly when the TE's arrive. Timing looks awesome with these guys. Smart as hell.

Our fans, for the most part know this defense is still morphing and are frustrated. Its a roller coaster ride just watching as they can't get off the field on third down. I see Pats fans as incredibly demanding much like the head Caoch. They will get much better and sooner rather than later. Tehy cause turnovers and play with aggression. We have the most work left with the Safeties and the Corner assignments need to improve still, but they are also breaking in Dowling, getting back to football shape for Bodden and McCourty is trying to handle the praise he got for the probowl berth. Bill will gt them settled in soon. Arrington still can't cover but was used a little better yesterday than in Miami. He can take on certain roles and is a good blocker.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : Hi Bredbru, I alsready made this observation on another one of your. I think Belichick will do this next week by giving Bodden and Dowling the outside corners. I'm going to watch the buffalo game and see what I think we should do n coverage. Great team so far...
    Posted by noahsark99

thanks for the observations noah.
    exceptional.

to be clear, you think bb will go to those 2 on the corner or he will do my preference of playing the best corner on the biggest/fastest receiver?
    are you saying if dowling were back put mccourty in the slot. to clarify,
    i'm not sayng that. i'm saying let mccourty take the smaller wideout.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Posted by 49Patriots

You need to stop hanging out with Russ, you used to be more reasonable than this.  Thinking the Defense has problems doesn't make people bandwagon fans.  In fact, lets knock off the whole pink hat/bandwagon thing altogether.  I am tired of this crap.  Russ doesn't own this board, and although he has some very good comments, I can almost cut and paste his response to ANYTHING at this point.  It is legitimate that the defense had some 3rd down issues again, and that Rivers was throwing all over the lot yesterday.  If some concerns are overstated/overhyped, ok, I get that.  But lay off with the pink hat crap.  It lowers the level of discourse in what is an othewise enjoyable thread, remarkably free of trolls.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Notable observations from the Sunday schedule: Packers defense gave up 432 passing yards to Cam Newton. Allowed 23 points. Baltimore allowed 358 passing yards to Matt Hasselbeck. Titans scored 26 points. Oakland gave up 481 yards to the Bills, who scored 38 points. Vice versa, Bills made Jason Campbell look good with 323 passing yards. Raiders scored 35 points. Matt Ryan threw 4 TD's on the Eagles' dream team defense. Turner runs for 114 yards and 1 TD. Falcons win with 35 points. In comparison, we gave up 378 passing yards to Philip Rivers (i.e. not Hasselbeck, not Newton, not Campbell) and 21 points to the Chargers. Not to mention from last week: Steelers defense allow 35 points to the Ravens, Flacco throws for 3 TD, Ray Rice runs for 107 yards Brees throws for 419 yards against the Packers, Saints put up 34 points Tony Romo throws for 342 yards against the Jets, put up 24 points and probably would've had more if Romo doesn't self-destruct at every 2-minute warning Let's see some statistics on the Patriots defense: The Patriots are 15th in points allowed, ahead of the Eagles, Saints, Chargers, Packers, and Falcons (all Super Bowl contenders). The Patriots have 6 sacks, tying the Bears, Steelers, and Jets. The Ravens, Lions, Vikings, and Chargers all have 4 sacks (all know how to pressure QB). The Patriots are ranked 31st in passing yards allowed with 381 yards/game ahead of only the Green Bay Packers, who have allowed 400 passing yards/game. I might be reading this wrong, but it seems like our defense fits right up there with all the Super Bowl teams. Now, I know some of you will point out that it's only been two weeks and the stats may be skewed so they don't reflect true performance. Well, if that line of thinking is true, then why are we judging our defense based on the same period of time? But what do I know? Everyone else is probably right. After holding the Chargers to 21 points after a short week, it's time to panic and deem this defense incapable of stopping a pee wee team. Furthermore, let's ignore the turnovers, the goal line stops, and the situational football. Let's just look at how the Chargers moved the ball effectively through 5-yard checkdowns to Tolbert because God knows Belichick can't do anything to stop that. Forget gelling, we're doomed.
    Posted by kevin13130

Kevin.....You know a lot. Great post with documented facts.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Notable observations from the Sunday schedule: Packers defense gave up 432 passing yards to Cam Newton. Allowed 23 points. Baltimore allowed 358 passing yards to Matt Hasselbeck. Titans scored 26 points. Oakland gave up 481 yards to the Bills, who scored 38 points. Vice versa, Bills made Jason Campbell look good with 323 passing yards. Raiders scored 35 points. Matt Ryan threw 4 TD's on the Eagles' dream team defense. Turner runs for 114 yards and 1 TD. Falcons win with 35 points. In comparison, we gave up 378 passing yards to Philip Rivers (i.e. not Hasselbeck, not Newton, not Campbell) and 21 points to the Chargers. Not to mention from last week: Steelers defense allow 35 points to the Ravens, Flacco throws for 3 TD, Ray Rice runs for 107 yards Brees throws for 419 yards against the Packers, Saints put up 34 points Tony Romo throws for 342 yards against the Jets, put up 24 points and probably would've had more if Romo doesn't self-destruct at every 2-minute warning Let's see some statistics on the Patriots defense: The Patriots are 15th in points allowed, ahead of the Eagles, Saints, Chargers, Packers, and Falcons (all Super Bowl contenders). The Patriots have 6 sacks, tying the Bears, Steelers, and Jets. The Ravens, Lions, Vikings, and Chargers all have 4 sacks (all know how to pressure QB). The Patriots are ranked 31st in passing yards allowed with 381 yards/game ahead of only the Green Bay Packers, who have allowed 400 passing yards/game. I might be reading this wrong, but it seems like our defense fits right up there with all the Super Bowl teams. Now, I know some of you will point out that it's only been two weeks and the stats may be skewed so they don't reflect true performance. Well, if that line of thinking is true, then why are we judging our defense based on the same period of time? But what do I know? Everyone else is probably right. After holding the Chargers to 21 points after a short week, it's time to panic and deem this defense incapable of stopping a pee wee team. Furthermore, let's ignore the turnovers, the goal line stops, and the situational football. Let's just look at how the Chargers moved the ball effectively through 5-yard checkdowns to Tolbert because God knows Belichick can't do anything to stop that. Forget gelling, we're doomed.
    Posted by kevin13130

Good post highlighting what I said earlier, the days of dominating defense are over.  The NFL wanted more exciting offense and that's what it got. 

Belichick watches how the league is trending and jumps ahead of the curve by switching his traditional 3/4 defense to a 2/4/5 hybrid nickel. For those of us that enjoyed more traditional (balanced offense) football it isn't as fun but it is what it is, fantasy football has changed the way the real game is played... the market dictates how businesses are run in this day and age.  $ talks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

This team is a work in progress.  Look at the win, not the loss.  Some of you do yourselves a favor, get a coffee and calm down.  It's game 2. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

it wasnt easy to watch  but  when we needed a big defensive play we got it  the 2nd game in a row with a goal line stand, and we got  4 turnovers

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts