Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

pats = same old problem - defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: pats = same old problem - defense

After watching BB on NFL network last nite
    it seemed to me tha BB will do things out of the box
    to get the team to play the way he wants
    -

He knew that all he had was passing to Moss and Welker
    and nothing else. I don't think he thought he could run at all

He wants the team to play its best under pressure
    -so will go for 4th and 1 on his own 20,

and BB himself is not afraid to make any call

But I still think both the SB and in the Jet Game - we could
    and should ahve won. we just amde to many uncharaeristic mistakes.
    In Baltimore - it was what it was.

to be clear I don't think that there is anybody on any network
    (or me LOL)
    that sees something on tape that BB doesn't-
    BB will change and adjust - or he wouldn't be the best
    He is willing to try things - and sometimes they don't work

The program showed too that fat REx is an ahole- over the Brady
    not working as hard as Peyton - Brady has been driven since HS
    and in clollege was #6 and went to #1.
    Brady is great at home, on the road, in good weather, in horrible weather
    He makes mistakes as rarely as Mariano Rivera)

Never mind that the colts are in trouble coz they made
    Peyton the de facto  coach.
    God i hate fat rex - btw who the hell was he saying that the Jets were playing for the honor of NYC on 9/11 - were the cowboys terrorists?

We are very very fortunate to have Kraft/BB/Brady
    All the best of the best

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

If the team is winning during the season when the Offense is Super with no turnovers & the Defense is ok and gets turnovers

and then

During the Playoffs/SB the team loses while The Offense is not as good and makes turnovers while the Defense plays the same as in the regular season

Then who is to blame for not winning the SB/ Playoff game?

My answer of course is that both are!

I believe that this year the Pats are even money against the field
    except against a team that can rush only 4 and has a great Offense

Right now that is only Detroit (and we will see how they do against GB and
    Chicago) They also have not proven anything under pressure - Our preseason game was a canary in the coal mine- but there was no game planning either

As to the last 4 years - I was tired of seeing every pass go to Moss and Welker
    - BB knew we were nothing after that too -he said so last nite

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense:
    You think BB has been employing the wrong offensive strategy for the past 4 years, and I'm the irrational one?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Mighty, I think BB knows the team hasn't been able to run well (in fact, he was filmed saying exactly that to his coaches in the Belichick special on NFL network).   Because the team hasn't been a good running team, Belichick has had to employ the strategy he has used (i.e., running lots of draw-type plays from passing formations) because that's the only running game he was going to get with the particular talent on the team.  I think, though, that he's been working on improving the RB and blocking talent and maybe now has the players in place he needs to actually get a decent running game going again.

So over the past two or three years, BB has been using the right strategy given the players he had on the team--but to really be effective he needed to get different players on the team so he could change the strategy.  Hopefully, we're at the point this year where the players allow BB to alter the strategy a bit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : Word is your boyfriend sure can do it. Why don't you ask him?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

LMF AO @ Rusty trying to be funny. That doesn't even make sense. What's really funny is you calling Brandon Meri. the 2nd best FS in the NFL. Then you denying you said it before I made you look the fool you are. I couldn't help notice you didn't deny wanting to blow BB. Sad old man you are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : How can he read them with BB co ck in King's mouth?
    Posted by startrightnow

lolololol

i didnt know he was his ball boy!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : Mighty, I think BB knows the team hasn't been able to run well (in fact, he was filmed saying exactly that to his coaches in the Belichick special on NFL network).   Because the team hasn't been a good running team, Belichick has had to employ the strategy he has used (i.e., running lots of draw-type plays from passing formations) because that's the only running game he was going to get with the particular talent on the team.  I think, though, that he's been working on improving the RB and blocking talent and maybe now has the players in place he needs to actually get a decent running game going again. So over the past two or three years, BB has been using the right strategy given the players he had on the team--but to really be effective he needed to get different players on the team so he could change the strategy.  Hopefully, we're at the point this year where the players allow BB to alter the strategy a bit.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I have no idea why there is pages and pages of arguing about the pats offense on this thread.  The problem is your defense.  That is why I approved of the pats draft.  Almost zero needs were addressed on that side of the ball.  just crazy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : I have no idea why there is pages and pages of arguing about the pats offense on this thread.  The problem is your defense.  That is why I approved of the pats draft.  Almost zero needs were addressed on that side of the ball.  just crazy.
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

You can't tell ball washing homers like Russell this.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Nice.  Bunch of Jet trolls.  Get lost.  Whatever our offense IS or IS NOT, points allowed on defense must be lower.  If points allowed on defense is zero, YOU CANT LOSE THE GAME.  All this offense talk is off the point, this year, last year, every year.  Don't overcomplicate things.  If you score more than you let them score, you win.  If the offense is giving up lots of points on picks, thats the only excuse for the defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Nice.  Bunch of Jet trolls.  Get lost.  Whatever our offense IS or IS NOT, points allowed on defense must be lower.  If points allowed on defense is zero, YOU CANT LOSE THE GAME.  All this offense talk is off the point, this year, last year, every year.  Don't overcomplicate things.  If you score more than you let them score, you win.  If the offense is giving up lots of points on picks, thats the only excuse for the defense.
    Posted by Davedsone

So if a dominant offense suddenly cannot get first downs and is constantly giving up bad field position as well as not taking much time off the clock, they are not hurting the recently rebuilt and extremely young defense?  That is an interesting line of thinking Davedsone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

IThis discussion is not really about 'running the football more'. It is about Brady being under center more and yes running with a power formation as opposed to running draws and such out of the spread.. . I am just saying we are predictable on offense, and even though that is usually good enough to win ion Sundays, It has not been the case come playoff time.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Completely agree.  The defense did make some mistakes in the Jets playoff game, but the real problem was the offense's lack of ability to sustain drives once the Jets figured out a way to stop the Pat's short passing game. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmk. Show tmmk's posts

Now Albert and Chung are out.  Ugh!!!  Why isn't G. Warren in a pats uniform now?  This defiantly will not help the pats struggling D.  The Pats will miss Merriweather and Sanders a lot this week.  With the shaky defense, hope the offense does not lose their rhythm because Hernandez isn't playing.  Everyone on this board was hoping Price would step-up in Hernandez place...well he is also out!  Oh boy, Sunday is shaping up for a wild ride!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think we hit the 40's today. Defense will let up lots of yards and around 24 points.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : So if a dominant offense suddenly cannot get first downs and is constantly giving up bad field position as well as not taking much time off the clock, they are not hurting the recently rebuilt and extremely young defense?  That is an interesting line of thinking Davedsone.
    Posted by TrueChamp

It happens to every dominant offense come playoff time.  That's why they say defense wins championships.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmk. Show tmmk's posts

The defense didn't throw the 4 int's, but they didn't help the situation.  So if Brady has an off day..... Pats havn't proven they can win those type of games.  This defense looks the same as the last few years.  UGH!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The defense didn't throw the 4 int's, but they didn't help the situation.  So if Brady has an off day..... Pats havn't proven they can win those type of games.  This defense looks the same as the last few years.  UGH!!!!!
    Posted by tmmk

Believe me I'n not defending the defense here but..I wonder if Brady would have thrown 4 Int's if we threw the ball say 10 less times and ran BJGE or Ridley or whoever more in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs to protect the lead and wear down the opposing defense. Not to mention save our own young D who obviously still cannot get to the QB. I just don't understand.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: pats = same old problem - defense : I think you are ignoring that Henne did the same, and BADLY underestimating Fitzpatrick.  What I saw last year was enough to make me respect him, and this year his O line seems to have gotten their act together.  Not saying they will win, just saying he will hang at least 21 points on us.  He can think under pressure and does not make stupid mistakes, so far.  Hope we change all that.  
    Posted by Davedsone

We didn't change all that.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

But running the ball will eat up time and keep the opposing offense off the field. 

You are right that running the ball with Woodhead and BJGE and--god knows--Edelman won't get you much.  But the Pats need to start developing a more effective running game--and that means getting a back who qualifies as a starter in this league.  Ridley seems to have potential.  Why aren't we working him into the offense more?  Is this offense so difficult to learn that all our rookies need redshirt years like Price?

Sections
Shortcuts