Pats select Toby Gerhart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Pats select Toby Gerhart

They would need to answer that with another part time back who can play from the spread, and be a better "hands" type runner.

Still, I would rather NE grab an all around back instead of continuing to telegraph what they are doing based on the back that is on the field.

It was evident all last season that if they were passing it was Faulk, and if they were running it was someone else. 

They need to find a runner who can do what Faulk does (chip, catch, draw) and do what Taylor, Maroney do (run at the perimeter/off tackle) and do what Morris does (run inside).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Z, I going to keep saying this until the Pats do it......fix the OL first then draft the all-around back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

"Hes not a 1st rounder. Some think hell be around in the third round."

where did you hear that?  I love this guy and I cant see how he is not a high first round pick. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't think Gerhart will translate well to the NFL.  He doesn't look very fast and I think his bruising running style will get him injured very quickly in the NFL.  From what I've seen, he's not very good coming out of the backfield to run pass routes and could never be split out wide in space and expected to run fluid routes.

I hope this catches on: they need a DUAL THREAT running back who can help in the run AND the pass game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I would love him in the 3rd (if we had one) or 4th rd.  Even if he is not dynamic, he would probably be a great short yardage/goal line back.  But I would like a better back drafted earlier.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Z - Still, I would rather NE grab an all around back instead of continuing to telegraph what they are doing based on the back that is on the field.

Exactly!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

would rather have jonathan dwyer or ryan matthews than toby gerhart

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The good news is that potential dual threat, lead backs are available in round 2 and beyond as almost a third of the league employs one:

See:

Forte, Matt- 40th (rd 2)

Rice, Ray- 55th (rd 2)

Jones-Drew, Maurice- 60th (rd 2

Smith, Kevin- 64th (rd 3)

Gore, Frank- 65th (rd 3)

Charles, Jamaal- 73rd (rd 3)

Harrison, Jerome- 145th (rd 5)

Grant, Ryan- Undrafted

Jackson, Fred- Undrafted

Thomas, Pierre- Undrafted

The bad news is that NE has yet to draft and develop one.

Personally, I'm intrigued to see how Ryan Mathews (19 career catches) would project as a potential pass catcher at the next level as he wasn't utilized their much in college.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm with Harley . . . let's get a decent offensive line first.  I want to see the Pats get a great tackle in the draft. Since Vollmer looks like he can play both spots and left tackle is harder to get than right tackle (and will require a higher pick), I'd draft a stud right tackle and let Vollmer take the left side.  I'd re-sign Mankins, and I'd get a decent guard (draft or free agency) to replace Neal.  We could use an upgrade at center too, but I think that could wait a year or two if we get the right tackle and guard. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

vapatfan1,
    Truth is, BB has take a RB in 50% of his Patriot drafts, he just hasn't had much if any of a success rate, unless you want to count Pass and Maroney as hits, which I don't. 

Patrick Pass- 2000 7th round
    Antwoine Womack- 2002 7th round
    Cedric Cobbs- 2004 4th round
    Laurence Maroney- 2006 1st round
    Justise Hairston- 2007 6th round

Scaled out further to his first HC job with the Browns (91-95) his teams RB drafts (I'm not sure how big his role was during these drafts during his final say power with NE) didn't fair much better.

Tommy Vardell- 1992- 1st round
    Robert Strait- 1994- 6th round

Sections
Shortcuts