Pats should part with Wilfork.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Pats should part with Wilfork.

According to Patscap:

Cutting or trading Wilfork would save about 7.5 mill, if the Pats are going to build a defense I would release or possibly trade Wilfork.  The Pats can use that money on Talib and another cover corner.  And maybe get a decent safety.  

Steven Gregory woud be another as he looks useless out there, he would give another 2mill in savings.  

Although, he won't get cut McCourtney costs the Pats over 3 mill against the cap for little to no production.

In the end, Wilfork needs to go as his best years are well behind him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Pats should part with Wilfork.

I hope Wilfork re-works his deal and stays. Perhaps gets more rest during the season and Silga, or others, slowly take over. I think he's still valuable. It also remains to be seen how he looks come the 3rd week of July.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:

According to Patscap:

Cutting or trading Wilfork would save about 7.5 mill, if the Pats are going to build a defense I would release or possibly trade Wilfork.  The Pats can use that money on Talib and another cover corner.  And maybe get a decent safety.  

Steven Gregory woud be another as he looks useless out there, he would give another 2mill in savings.  

Although, he won't get cut McCourtney costs the Pats over 3 mill against the cap for little to no production.

Do you think butt fumble stays or goes this year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I hope Wilfork re-works his deal and stays. Perhaps gets more rest during the season and Silga, or others, slowly take over. I think he's still valuable. It also remains to be seen how he looks come the 3rd week of July.

I'd bet on this.... a fair deal between both parties adding on 2/3 years averaging around 5 mill per year.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd rather them rework his deal, I don't want to see this guy end up on the jets or Miami under a cheap contract and then hold our average running backs to 2 yards a carry, because that's what will happen if he's healthy. He will destroy guys like Connoly, Wendell and Mankins...you can bet on that...and never mind if he falls on Brady.

But man 7.5 million in cap space is a big amount, but lets say you could have both Vince and a younger talent for 7.5 million...wouldn't that be better, because if you can get him to restructure that is what you may have. If you cut him and sign someone (and they don't work out), it wasn't worth it.

I think they like Vince a lot, if not they'd cut him in a second, but Vince means something to the locker room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

i just dont see it happening. Vince is a patriot man. he and BB will work something out, bet on it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

According to Patscap:

As far as Vinny it depends on what level he comes back at and you nor I know that. The Pats will ahve some suspicions though and they can evaluate. But when you throw out that McCourty has little or no production it puts everything you say in perspective... that is to say you have nothing to say.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

According to Patscap:

This is not the first time that this self proclaimed EXPERT has served up pretty stupid thoughts and baseless opinion. The next time I read something by this guy that includes moronic stuff I put him on IGNORE as I have been doing with some out of town fans that have nothing to add to any discussion.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'd rather them rework his deal, I don't want to see this guy end up on the jets or Miami under a cheap contract and then hold our average running backs to 2 yards a carry, because that's what will happen if he's healthy. He will destroy guys like Connoly, Wendell and Mankins...you can bet on that...and never mind if he falls on Brady.

But man 7.5 million in cap space is a big amount, but lets say you could have both Vince and a younger talent for 7.5 million...wouldn't that be better, because if you can get him to restructure that is what you may have. If you cut him and sign someone (and they don't work out), it wasn't worth it.

I think they like Vince a lot, if not they'd cut him in a second, but Vince means something to the locker room.

I see too many holes on this defense, the Pats need Talib and another cover corner.  Safety is and issues and I still don't see a pass rush.

I'm not even talking about the WR position.  Quality players won't come cheap, and the Pats did get to the AFC championship without Vince.

With Aaron Hernandez counting over 7 mill agains the cap next season, the Pats can ill afford putting too much money in one player on the downside of his career.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

i just dont see it happening. Vince is a patriot man. he and BB will work something out, bet on it.

Maybe, but the question is would the Pats have beaten the Broncos with Vince?  

the Pats couldn't cover Denver WR's and Vince isn't a pass rusher.  I just think better money could be spent on another cover corner and pass rusher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I agree with this and until we see him on the field, we do not know how much this injury will impact his play.  Until the injury, Wilfork was not showing any diminishing of his skills and we have this OP calling for his release?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I'd bet on this.... a fair deal between both parties adding on 2/3 years averaging around 5 mill per year.  

At this point in his career, injuries will be an issue.  And 5 mill a year for a player that not might make it through the season seems a bit much.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

At this point in his career, injuries will be an issue.  And 5 mill a year for a player that not might make it through the season seems a bit much.

By your logic, the Pats should have cut/traded Brady after the 2008 season instead of seeing if he fully recovered or not.  Brady was making a heck of a lot more than $5M a year, too!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

By your logic, the Pats should have cut/traded Brady after the 2008 season instead of seeing if he fully recovered or not.  Brady was making a heck of a lot more than $5M a year, too!

Apples to oranges, Brady is a top flight maybe the best ever QB to step on the field.  You also have to understand the vast difference in positions.  Brady isn't taking the abuse Vince is in the trenches.  A QB has a much longer career on average than a RB or DT/NT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Don't extend or keep him, cut and attempt to resign. Don't put more dead money into the roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yeah, this is a tough one.  No doubt something is going to be done with Wilfork's $11.6 million cap hit for 2014.  Saving $7.5 mill would be huge but I sure would hate to cut the big guy and have to fill his spot with someone else.  If his rehab goes well and can be ready for next season then rework his deal.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I'm keeping Wilfork, Gregory I'm hoping he goes to the Jets. One of the worst Safeties, I have ever seen play. He hurts McCourty.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I'm keeping Wilfork, Gregory I'm hoping he goes to the Jets. One of the worst Safeties, I have ever seen play. He hurts McCourty.

yup, bring in a competent safety that is atleast 210. let McCourty play a natural FS position.

Gregory is smart.... kinda. he can diagnose plays quickly it seems but doesn't have the size and strength to even make the play. he just cant make the play.

bring in Pollard, Whitner, Clemons or someone. Adrian Wilson is still under contract but i doubt see anything from him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I will drive Gregory to the airport if that will help.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Yeah, this is a tough one.  No doubt something is going to be done with Wilfork's $11.6 million cap hit for 2014.  Saving $7.5 mill would be huge but I sure would hate to cut the big guy and have to fill his spot with someone else.  If his rehab goes well and can be ready for next season then rework his deal.   

Wilfork is one of the extremely rare players the Pats have "taken care of". It was Seymour or Wilfork...and they chose, and paid him VERY well. He's a true mainstay in this community. The guy follows his heart...look at his wife. I'm not trying to be a dck, but he's an all-pro level professional football player...he could marry a model if he WANTED to. But he didn't. He married a wonderful woman who is a great mother and wife from all accounts, and has a very strong family dynamic. Another way he is truly a rare example of a football player.

He got paid VERY well in 2010. He's made probably around 32 million of the 40 total, 25 was guaranteed.

If he doesn't rework his deal...he wil be 2014 version of Lawyer Milloy.

If he does that, no team is going to pony up huge money for him given the injury he just had. So he'd be playing on a one-year deal to prove himself before re-entering free agency.

At THIS point in his career...I don't see that as very likely.

I think it very likely he will rework his deal to bring that cap number WAY down, and will add a few years, and have another chunk in the form of a signing bonus, which would be spread over those 3 hypothetical years. Something around 3/18, 10 guaranteed. That would take Vince, a large nose tackle, to 35 years old. I could see my above contract being worked so 2/12 could be swallowed if he totally falls apart.

He is to the Pats what Tedy Bruschi was, and seems to have a similar metality. I guess we shall find out in time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I will drive Gregory to the airport if that will help.

I'll pay for the gas if needed. anything to get rid of this guy

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

This Team needs a Kick-butt, Smashmouth, Dirty Talking, Safety with a BRAIN in the WORST way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

This Team needs a Kick-butt, Smashmouth, Dirty Talking, Safety with a BRAIN in the WORST way.

POLLARD or WHITNER! both can cover decent, and play the run well and can hit like mo fo'sss

Sections
Shortcuts