Pats Sign Bodden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

Go figure, all these no name corners getting huge deals this offseason, and a proven young veteran gets a one year vet min deal. I'm sure Bodden wants to bring his value back up and capitalize next year.

This way we can evaluate who is better to keep, Bodden or Hobbs. I'm guessing Hobbs is on his way to an oversized contract next year. Hopefully, Bodden plays well and resigns for a reasonable deal, such as 4 years, $16 million.

Great signing.

Does anyone know what the cap implications would be if the Pats chose to release Springs after the first year, since he will be much older than Hobbs and Bodden? I never got how much of the money is guaranteed/bonus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

I really hope this mean we will take either a OT or a OLB in round 1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

I really like this signing. Even more than the Springs signing. This probably means BB won't be drafting a CB early in the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

yea if we take a CB it will be in the later rounds but we could still see a Safety drafted early on day one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

With Bodden, Springs, Hobbs, Wheatley, and Wilhite I can see the Pats definately going LB 1st couple of rounds in the draft. Lets crank up that pass rush!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

[Quote]To me this Bodden signing is our answer to TO going to Buffalo. I've been saying this all over the place, you have to be built to win within your division. With 33% of our divisional games against Buffalo we can't ignore that next to us they have the best receiving corps in the division and maybe the league perhaps after Arizona.

I'm not worried about the one year deal. If Bodden works out and he likes it here we re-sign him. I think we're looking at Bodden/Springs as our new starting corners with Hobbs or Wheatley as the nickel. I still would like to see us draft a stud hard hitting SS and move Meriweather to FS.

Now all we need is a beast of a ILB and a pass rushing fool for OLB and our defense will be scary next year.[/Quote]

Faucetman, I'd put the Colts and Saints on that list too. I know they're not in our division, but they still have great QBs and offenses that can shred a secondary apart. This is the best signing the Pats have made, yet. Taylor, Baker, Springs and Bodden: That's a good start for an off-season. Really looking forward to the draft.

Agree on Meriweather at FS. Would like to see Chung in the 2nd at SS. If Mauluaga falls the Pats could have a shot at him. I still don't see him falling that far, but Day One of the draft should be exciting for us Patriots fans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

I think this gives us the freedom to take the best player available in the draft and not reach for a player just because he plays a position where we could use the depth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

I agree taking Chung at SS would be a great draft pick. I am very high on Merriwhether and putting Chung next to him is just a great safety combo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

Good move. It gives the W's one more year to develope and hopefully Hobbs more time to rest on the bench between kick returns.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

I really hope that Bodden is the answer cause it would suck if he couldnt get it done once the season starts. I just want to stop talking about how badly we need a CB so i really hope he is the guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

[Quote]1 year for the veteran min of 750,000? He mustnt have gotten much interest from other teams.[/Quote]

Do you have a cite on this? If thats' all the Pats' had to pay to sign him...GREAT DEAL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

[Quote]Given that it is a one year deal, NE seems like they are positioning themselves to develop some guys, and Bodden gets to be a talented rental. I doubt they look down the road and anticipate resigning him, because one year in this defense and his value will skyrocket again.

But . . .

Look at the bright side. Bodden, Springs and Hobbs is *lightyears* better than last year's secondary. All of a sudden a total weakness has turned into a potential strength.[/Quote] How about Bodden, Springs, Wheatly. Hobbs can return Kicks that's all

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

[Quote]I agree taking Chung at SS would be a great draft pick. I am very high on Merriwhether and putting Chung next to him is just a great safety combo.[/Quote]

No disrespect intended, but didn't Meriweather essentially play SS after Harrison went down?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

It's nice to see a Pat's CB who isn't a shrimp!--6'1" 195lbs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

I agree with this 1,000%. I think Hobbs is on the clock. If either of these 2 work out, he is gone unless he has a break out season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

Hobbs will still be a starter...the guy has been a solid CB for us, not sure where all the hate comes from. Is it because he gave up the game winning TD in the SB? The guy was playing on half a set of legs against one of the best receivers in the game with no safety help...and if Asante had squeezed that gift of an INT he had thrown to him earlier in the drive it wouldn't have been an issue. Plus Hobbs had a pick of his own in the SB. The guy plays hurt as much as anybody and still has made plays for us over the years in my opinion AND returned kicks. I guarantee you BB isn't complaining about having him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

Honestly Ush, I see an open competition.

I already knew Ne was disgusted with the entire DB class last season, so I am thinking that given the price of all these guys it is anyone's ball game.

To be frank, and I have *dogged* him about the wrist, I wouldn't leave out the possibility that Hobbs is beat out straight by someone like Wheatley.

Hobbs is a tough kid, but to be honest, he is one of the worst starting CBs in football. I won't sya he is garbage, because that simply isn't true, but he is a target, and there is no way to mitigate that fact.

If any of these players out play him, he is the nickel guy, which is a job I think he could be the best in the NFL at, as it puts a premium on his short area quickness, and negates some of his height issues purely based on the type of WR's he will face.

And that isn't a knock, considering this team probably plays in nickel or some variant 40% of the time these days.

But if Bodden and Springs are the best, Hobbs will step back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

Solid pick up again! ---- If they can now just land Jason Taylor to the mix !!

Go get em Pats!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from _008_. Show _008_'s posts

Pats Sign Bodden

Great pick up! I am loving the way Belichick is not afraid to make moves outside of his "norm". No one thought he would pick a linebacker early in the draft last year. Gets Mayo. Over the years, he has preferred smaller CBs who can change direction well...but goes out and gets two veteran CBs with good size(totally different mold than Hobbs Wheatley Whilite). You can see he's learning from his past decisions and also challenging himself to make new ones.

I remember almost NO MOCKDRAFT predicted Mayo to the Patriots last year. Look how that turned out. I can't wait to see what he does with all the picks this year, who knows, maybe the first pick is TE or RB or WR. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedcoat. Show TheRedcoat's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

one thing you can guarantee...

one of those second rounders will become a first rounder next year or;
    a third rounder and a second next year.

The Pats obvioulsy want to give the DB's a chance to develop so I think unless a real premier DB falls in the draft the Pats are going S, LB and OL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

actually bodden signed for 1 yr-2.25 million.with one million up front.with a no franchise clause.so if he shows to be haveing a good season.the pats will need to get a long term done,or its another samuels ordeal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats Sign Bodden

Heres' information on how much money Leigh Bodden actually signed for...as he DID NOT receive a one year, $750,000 deal...as some have stated.

Bodden is taking a chance...having turned down a 4 year, $16mil. deal with the Pats, for a one year, $2.25mil. deal...and a promise that he would not be franchised in 2010: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/11/bodden-takes-a-big-risk/

Sections
Shortcuts