Pats sign FB Polite

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: Pats sign FB Polite

In Response to Re: Pats sign FB Polite:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats sign FB Polite : Dude, he's been arguably their worst O Lineman this year.  Absolute truth. Light and Waters have played at Pro Bowl levels and Solder has done well on the fly as a rookie. That leaves Connolly or Mankins.  
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

I agree that Mankins has had an off year.  Missed blocks, ignoramous penalties.  Got better latter in the season, IMO.

Light had a quietly awesome year.  Probably won't get the Pro Bowl while somehow Mankins probably will, just on rep.

Rusty, I think you may be right that they have been saving the running game for the play-offs.  Why else would they abandon the run game at times when they were getting some nice runs?  Seems like BB is saving his backs from injury before the play-offs.  Add this signing at the expense of dumping a much needed (though woefully inadequate) safety, and it is hard not to think running will play a greater role in the post-season. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wonder if Benny is going on the IR - he's been nursing the toe injury for a couple of months and he has certainly been nothing to brag about this season. Maybe a guy like Polite will give you some of the short yardage things that Benny brings, while being a solid blocker for Ridley - plus you got to think he'd be better in pass protection than any of our young backs.

Either that or he'll be cut on Friday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats sign FB Polite : I agree that Mankins has had an off year.  Missed blocks, ignoramous penalties.  Got better latter in the season, IMO. Light had a quietly awesome year.  Probably won't get the Pro Bowl while somehow Mankins probably will, just on rep. Rusty, I think you may be right that they have been saving the running game for the play-offs.  Why else would they abandon the run game at times when they were getting some nice runs?  Seems like BB is saving his backs from injury before the play-offs.  Add this signing at the expense of dumping a much needed (though woefully inadequate) safety, and it is hard not to think running will play a greater role in the post-season. 
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

he has performed better than I expected. I thought he has been having some problems over the past couple of years. That being said, I think he still needs help w/ some of the elite pass rushers...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if Benny is going on the IR - he's been nursing the toe injury for a couple of months and he has certainly been nothing to brag about this season. Maybe a guy like Polite will give you some of the short yardage things that Benny brings, while being a solid blocker for Ridley - plus you got to think he'd be better in pass protection than any of our young backs. Either that or he'll be cut on Friday.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

At this point in the season, if he can't go the rest of the season - then he wouldn't go on IR because he becomes an unrestricted free agent after this year is over. I guess he could go on waivers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

CAUTION PATS FANS... Mad scientist at work... Every week you will continue to ponder the myriad of transactions conducted by Mr. Belichick. PAY NO ATTENTION...! THERE'S MANY MORE TO GO. IN many cases , they mean nothing ...! Belichick is fond of putting a somewhat confusing combination of players on both offense and defense . Picking up players off the street is PERFECT for this. IMO he is making a point that players are his subjects for him to work out his weekly masterpiece. Not that this is bad. It's not boring. The pats are 12-3.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]CAUTION PATS FANS... Mad scientist at work... Every week you will continue to ponder the myriad of transactions conducted by Mr. Belichick. PAY NO ATTENTION...! THERE'S MANY MORE TO GO. IN many cases , they mean nothing ...! Belichick is fond of putting a somewhat confusing combination of players on both offense and defense . Picking up players off the street is PERFECT for this. IMO he is making a point that players are his subjects for him to work out his weekly masterpiece. Not that this is bad. It's not boring. The pats are 12-3.
    Posted by coolade2[/QUOTE]

lol....only 1 more game this regular season...how many more moves can one make? Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I was jerked around by BB's last free agent pickup.  That guy still had a broken arm.  Let's see if Polite is healthy first.  Good luck sticking, guy.

Big beefy guy with a good bench press.  This is the best time of year for a fullback on the roster, as we could get 40 mph gusty winds out of the northeast and driving ice pellets some nice afternoon.  Brady can always throw short dinky passes but extra help for the run comes in useful sometimes.  With Polite, Ridley or Benny, Aaron Hernandez at wideout if they have run personnel on the field, or move Hernandez off tackle if they have puny defenders on the field, and with Gronk, yeah the OLBs can be pushed off the line of scrimmage on third and 2. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: Pats sign FB Polite": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats sign FB Polite : lol....only 1 more game this regular season...how many more moves can one make? Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE] only Belichick truly knows. But in all seriousness, this polite move would seem to be a response to pass protection IMHO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Bring back Alge Crumpler!!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Considering they won't win a SB without a commitment to a run game and Polite is one of the best lead blockers in the NFL, it;s not that curious since BB clearly knows he needs a run game because he didn't use one or have confidence in one, really since the 2006 playoffs, with that one being sketchy since Dillon was on one foot and pretty much done with Maroney as a rookie. If this signing what I think it is, then it may very well mean BB wants to tune up this secret running game he's hidden away all year long. It's either another classic genius move from BB or nothing more than a warm body at the RB/FB spot. I think it's the former.  At some point Donald Thomas playing FB on short yardage didn't look that appealing. If I see one more 3rd and 1 shotgun I am going to yak.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

im with you.
    if this mens more committment to the run, im all for it.
    genius i dont know about that. smart, yes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I hope this signing indicates a foreshadowing of things to come in the playoffs, they already had a locker with his number set up before he had even arrived. Spectacular run blocker and solid catching out of the backfield, love this signing right before the playoffs, Polite and Ridley would be a tough running backfield.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I agree it would be really good to see an aggressive commitment to the run but I suspect this is more about pass protection than anything else. We'll see.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He must be here to give some life to the ground game.  He's a big guy, but not to be confused with Keith Byars in the skill dept. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I respect everyones opinion on this. I understand we have lineman out, but do you really think a guy coming in off the street will be trusted to block for Brady in the playoffs????

Do you think he can pick up the passing game in a couple weeks and block better than Benny or Faulk?

I think this guy is coming in to help the run game. I know they understand Brady wont be successful throwin 100% in the playoffs, and I know the passing game is the strengh, but you have to be able to switch to the run if the pass inst working. I think they saw NO production in the 1st half throwing and realized they need to beef up the run game in order to have success.

Basically, Brady is still gonna pass a lot, but atleast when they DO run it wont be for negative yargade as they HATE wasting downs on non productive run plays and why they pass short so much. They have to prepared in case they see another Jets game plan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If he can catch out of the backfield, he'll make a difference.  One of their problems this season is they haven't been able to integrate the running back into the passing game effectively or run RB screen plays consistently.  BJGE isn't a reliable pass catcher and he really doesn't have good speed to the outside on screen plays.  Woodhead was better at it last year, but seems to have regressed a bit this year and only has about half as many receptions as he did in 2010.  Faulk isn't back up to speed.  They tried to run one screen with Ridley Saturday, but he didn't catch the ball (don't remember off hand whether the pass was catchable or not). 

Anyway, a real threat to catch the ball and run screens would be nice.  Who knows, if BB likes the way Ridley is running, maybe he'll also incorporate a blocking back.  Given that we don't have a second blocking TE really and our extra tackles are hurt, that might make a true FB much more useful as a run blocker.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pro, i wish it was that simple. I think the lack of catches by running backs is just due to Brady locking in on GRonk and them going with what works.

I cant argue the results when Gronk touches the ball.

I guess I just dont buy that Woody all of a sudden cant catch or Benny isnt any good at it. We've seen everyone here catch the ball effectively. We've had years where Patrick Pass was effective catching screens. I think they are ineffective because they are called infrequently. Less than 10 screens all year by my count.

So when do they call it, they are rusty and not used to it.

Basically what I am saying is that if they dont use the screen game, Polite isnt gonna come here and make them do it. Polite is no better than Woody catching the ball, so I dont see it. We need a heavy blitz team to run screens and most teams try to coverage scheme against brady and lock up outside Wr's.

I think Poite makes us more versatile but the onus is still on us to utililze different plays.

Its easy to get off track in a playoff game with so much going, I just hope they keep an open mind and have a plan B

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to "Re: Pats sign FB Polite": [QUOTE]Bring back Alge Crumpler!!! Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE] For all good things he did here, i only remember the easy td drop in playoff vs the. Jests So no thx

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

BB will give a dose of POLITE this week and we will know how he looks. When its 3rd and short everyone knows handin he ball to our RBs is 50-50 at best and so TB has to sneak it. Come playoff time we need to be able to impose will and get those everytime.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Pro, i wish it was that simple. I think the lack of catches by running backs is just due to Brady locking in on GRonk and them going with what works. I cant argue the results when Gronk touches the ball. I guess I just dont buy that Woody all of a sudden cant catch or Benny isnt any good at it. We've seen everyone here catch the ball effectively. We've had years where Patrick Pass was effective catching screens. I think they are ineffective because they are called infrequently. Less than 10 screens all year by my count. So when do they call it, they are rusty and not used to it. Basically what I am saying is that if they dont use the screen game, Polite isnt gonna come here and make them do it. Polite is no better than Woody catching the ball, so I dont see it. We need a heavy blitz team to run screens and most teams try to coverage scheme against brady and lock up outside Wr's. I think Poite makes us more versatile but the onus is still on us to utililze different plays. Its easy to get off track in a playoff game with so much going, I just hope they keep an open mind and have a plan B
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I guess there's a bit of chicken and egg here . . . are they bad at screen plays because they don't call them often or are they not calling them because they're bad at them?  I think it's more the latter than the former, but your alternative is definitely also possible. Personally, I don't see any of their backs as being great screen players and they've had mixed results when they've tried screens this year.  It may be because they're "rusty" but honestly I assume they practice those plays and should be able to execute if they're any good at them.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Polite is 6'0" 245 during his playing days. Probably 265 since he's been out of football since September. As much as I would like to see Brady hand it off 45 times out of a 2 TE, 2RB set in a convincing win this weekend I just don't think that is in their DNA anymore . They are a passing team and as long as Brady is in there that's the way it will be. Polite will line up, pick up blitzes ... And catch 1 screen pass for 6 yards. Then he most likely will be released.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats sign FB Polite : I guess there's a bit of chicken and egg here . . . are they bad at screen plays because they don't call them often or are they not calling them because they're bad at them?  I think it's more the latter than the former, but your alternative is definitely also possible. Personally, I don't see any of their backs as being great screen players and they've had mixed results when they've tried screens this year.  It may be because they're "rusty" but honestly I assume they practice those plays and should be able to execute if they're any good at them.   
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

True, I have no evidence to support my claim other than we have same had the same tired ol backs the last few years and THIS year we actually 2 new backs who are young and one in Vareen who was lauded for his pass catching so I just can buy that they cant do it. I dont buy the "cant run the ball" thoery either.

Only so much time in practice. Seeing as we pass alot, what do you think we practice more??   Runnning, Screen plays or shotgun spread plays?

Last year our backs were the same minus Faulk, Ridley and Vareen and we had much more production in the passing game by backs.

Coincedently, Gronk is having a record breaking season and has over 1,000 yards recieveing for a TE.  Simple math to me.

But it could also be the backs are hurt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Curious signing this late in the year. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Agree. Who's next?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

JayShizz, from what I remember of Polite in games, I would trust him. My guess is Bb knows what he is getting and see a short term fit.