Pats Sign Hernandez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Pats Sign Hernandez

That is so weird for some reason it let me post as my old screen name instead of MVPkilla can you guys even see these posts? I thought these screen names were banned? I guess not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Taz - why don't you say it 6 more times.  Maybe then someone will reply.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Oh yeah, I forgot ... moron.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Sign Hernandez:
     ...Caraway Hey man make a joke of it all you want but weed is not addictive and that is a FACT. They have stupid the effects of weed for years and they always come to the same conclusion which is it is not addictive. You dont go through withdrawals when you stop smoking it. So if your niece cant stop smoking its cause she does not want to and it is that simple. When she is ready to stop she will stop its not like H or crack where it sinks its claws in and you cant stop and if you think weed is like those drugs you clearly need to learn some more about the drug before you act like you know. No offense by any of this bro you know i like you i just will stand up for weed any day of the week.
    Posted by tasney68

Tas,

I get what you are saying, and I concede that "technically" pot isn't addictive.  I've been there and done that with pot and much worse.  Here are my 2 points of views:

1. Regardless of whether or not ANY chemical is technically addictive or not, my belief is that anyone who places greater importance on achieving a chemically altered state of mind than they do on other important things such as a good career, family, etc., has a problem.  If someone is risking a job flipping burgers to achieve a chemically altered state of mind, so be it.  If someone is risking a good job, good career, or their family, they have a problem.  I remember when the Army first started drug testing.  You could defeat the Soviet Army with all the guys getting busted.  Nowadays, despite all of the young folks smoking pot in school, few people fail a drug test in the Army.  Why?  Because the majority of the populace is smart enough to not put being in a chemically altered state of mind above their career.

2. This angle didn't come into my head until I became a dad.  I believe there is a mental bridge in your head that keeps you from going astray in life and doing bad things.  Once you are willing to cross that bridge, crossing more bridges becomes easier.  For instance, the guy who just shoplifts from the corner store crosses that bridge, and goes on to more serious crimes more easily.  How do I tell my son that doing pot is illegal, and can give you a criminal record, but it's ok, it's only pot?  How do I tell him its ok to associate with people risking time in prison (the dealers), because their only selling pot?

Other have pointed out "what kid in college hasn't smoked pot".  Most kids in college are not being tested for drugs, and aren't placing their careers at much of a risk by smoking pot.  The guy studying to be an accountant doesn't have much to fear.  The guy lucky and talented enough to play for a major football team and being tested for drugs is a whole other story.  IMHO, the football player is demonstrating a lack of judgment that is orders of magnitude greater than just some typical college kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

For the record, I'm a fan of Hernandez, even if I think he was dumb to place his career at risk.  I'll be the first to admit that I've done some really dumb things in my life, as have most of us here.  Most of us turned out alright, and I suspect he will too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I have a question about Dungy ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I have a question about Dungy ...
    Posted by themightypatriotz

That's sure to guarantee a post count of 700+.  In fact, anything Colts related goes wild here.  Hmmm..... I heard Dungy supports the legalization of pot, and because he was a mentor to Hernandez, he contributed to his failed rug test.  Furthermore, it was indeed multiple tests, but Dungy made a call to Polian who used his immense powers on the competition committee to remove some of the positive tests from the kids record.  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

We need a constitutional amendment to legalize pot ... not just in the US, but the whole world ... and any war fought to legalize pot is a just war ... and God does exist ... and some of us have mixed feelings about Dungy ... and the Universe may or may not be infinite.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

If they legalize it then every employer will test for it. It will be do you want to smoke or work?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Sign Hernandez : May I ask what your definition of "risk is?  Is this a health risk later on down the line or something else? ...  
    Posted by russgriswold

Risk of getting caught and having your career put in jeopardy, getting a criminal record, etc.  I do agree that logically, alcohol causes more problems than pot.  Here is a sick and twisted analogy to demonstrate the difference between alcohol and pot:

Imagine someone (i.e. Leon) explaining to you that logically, there is nothing wrong with mating with a pig.  Imagine he tells you that a pig is a mammal just like a human.  He goes on to tell you that mating with a pig is far more humane than sending a pig to the slaughterhouse and subsequently eating the pig.  He says if you can hunt pigs with a bow and arrow, why can't he mate with a pig which causes only pleasure?  So logically, this person (aka Leon) makes a very good argument why mating with a pig should be acceptable, and definitely not illegal.

However, our society, right wrong or indifferent, has deemed that if you mate with a pig you are a pig F@#ker.  If you don't like it you can always move to a place where society doesn't frown upon it.  Same thing with alcohol and pot.  Right wrong or indifferent, pot is frowned upon in this society and alcohol less so.  Is this changing?  Yes.  Has it already changed? No.  Society seldom conforms to pure logic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

For anyone to risk their career over any drug, illegal or not, is obviously not a well thought-out decision. Alot of heavy drug users have used marijuana before moving on to worse things, however it's almost a guarantee they were into other things before marijuana came into the picture (i.e. alcohol, prescription medicines, cigarettes etc.) There is no such thing as a gateway drug, only addictive/experimental personalities combined with the inability to make a sound decision concerning the use of highly addictive, life destroying drugs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Its just not a big deal anymore and to be honest if they made it legal and taxed the heck out of it they would help the economy in a big way.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I'm sure it would also help with our issue concerning the mexican drug cartels as well

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

It would help with a lot of things. But seriously if they taxed like the do cigarettes or even more so pot heads would still buy it and it would still be less then what we pay our dealers and they would make a lot of money for the economy. Plus with all the money we spend on munchies alone we would help the economy lol
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Imagine all the awesome "munchies" commercials the snack companies would make.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

This post is about the Pats signing Hernandez. Not about the legalization of pot, the social reasons why, it's addiction/non-addiction, etc....

The Pats just signed a very promising TE that has been taking reps with the 1st team offense. This kid will keep his nose clean. His contract is structured to protect the Pats against the worst case scenario. If Hernandez succeeds which I think he will, he will earn a good pay day. 

The big story here is Hernandez has been signed and we may have a weapon unlike we have ever seen before on the field. This offense just became multi-dimensional in an offseason as long as the play calling is creative and Brady spreads the wealth. 

We have 3 legit TE's, with different skills. Hernandez will be a versatile weapon defenses will have to scheme specifically against. My prognostication.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

How many on this board know how to make a distillery?  How many on this board know how to plant a seed?  This is why Alcohol is legal and weed isn't.  It's not about right or wrong, it's about what the government can and cannot tax.   So let's all just relax on the character to issues for a guy that smokes pot, ok?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

This post is about the Pats signing Hernandez. Not about the legalization of pot, the social reasons why, it's addiction/non-addiction, etc.... The Pats just signed a very promising TE that has been taking reps with the 1st team offense. This kid will keep his nose clean. His contract is structured to protect the Pats against the worst case scenario. If Hernandez succeeds which I think he will, he will earn a good pay day.  The big story here is Hernandez has been signed and we may have a weapon unlike we have ever seen before on the field. This offense just became multi-dimensional in an offseason as long as the play calling is creative and Brady spreads the wealth.  We have 3 legit TE's, with different skills. Hernandez will be a versatile weapon defenses will have to scheme specifically against. My prognostication.
    Posted by PatsLifer

It's June.  We can talk about anything we want.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

How many on this board know how to make a distillery?  How many on this board know how to plant a seed?  This is why Alcohol is legal and weed isn't.  It's not about right or wrong, it's about what the government can and cannot tax.   So let's all just relax on the character to issues for a guy that smokes pot, ok?
    Posted by BBRULES23

I'm guessing BB does and you don't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Well Caraway its not so frowned upon anymore. In Massachusetts if you are caught with less then 1 Oz. of weed on you you get a ticket and they take your stash and that is it. No criminal record, if you have an Oz. on you you will be classified as a dealer and thats when you get arrested. So what is the lesson here? Selling weed is against the law and bad but smoking weed is well a slap on the wrist and that is it. If you are under 18 they will make you take a anti dope class. Its just not a big deal anymore and to be honest if they made it legal and taxed the heck out of it they would help the economy in a big way.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Tas, that's why I said it is changing, but hasn't changed yet.  Only a handful of states are now lenient.  Even in MA, if you worked for Wal-Mart, the police force, hospital, or any number of places that test for drug use, you would be fired.  The courts in the US have yet to side with an employee who was fired for failing a drug test even in states where medical use is allowed. Perhaps they know most of the "medical users" are just folks wanting to get high legally.  In CA where I live it's quite funny.  You see folks flipping signs on corners directing folks to a place where you can get medical pot permits.  All you have to do is go in and say you are depressed, under a lot of stress, etc.

Times are changing, but society as a whole still attaches a stigma to pot use.  As I said in an earlier post, no society operates off of pure logic (Vulcan excluded).  For instance, you are a dog lover.  What if you saw your neighbor place a dog in his backyard, shoot it with a bow, the dog runs around yelping for a few minutes before dying,  gets skinned and gutted, and then eaten?  Would you be appalled?  Would you call the cops?  Would you go and beat the guy?  Or would you say to yourself that "logically", the dog is an animal not unlike any other animal that gets hunted and eaten?  Logically they are the same, but most of us would cringe at seeing that happen to the dog.  Why?  Because even the most rebellious of us still have societal norms deeply embedded into us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Who cares ? If you don't smoke weed in college you risk becoming an outcast. Hernandez will have a relatively productive season then share blunts with Faulk. The key is to not violate the league's substance abuse policy and at the risk of losing money I am certain Hernandez will not violate that policy thus allowing various roster bonuses to kick in some dough. A more interesting question would be how often the Pats use the spread offense to get Hernandez some touches.

Make it legal and tax it seems to be the mantra up here in Canada....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Sign Hernandez : Risk of getting caught and having your career put in jeopardy, getting a criminal record, etc.  I do agree that logically, alcohol causes more problems than pot.  Here is a sick and twisted analogy to demonstrate the difference between alcohol and pot: Imagine someone (i.e. Leon) explaining to you that logically, there is nothing wrong with mating with a pig.  Imagine he tells you that a pig is a mammal just like a human.  He goes on to tell you that mating with a pig is far more humane than sending a pig to the slaughterhouse and subsequently eating the pig.  He says if you can hunt pigs with a bow and arrow, why can't he mate with a pig which causes only pleasure?  So logically, this person (aka Leon) makes a very good argument why mating with a pig should be acceptable, and definitely not illegal. However, our society, right wrong or indifferent, has deemed that if you mate with a pig you are a pig F@#ker.  If you don't like it you can always move to a place where society doesn't frown upon it.  Same thing with alcohol and pot.  Right wrong or indifferent, pot is frowned upon in this society and alcohol less so.  Is this changing?  Yes.  Has it already changed? No.  Society seldom conforms to pure logic.
    Posted by carawaydj

THanks for making me laugh this morning. That's a fantastic Metaphor!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Patriots have structured the Hernandez contract in such a way as to protect themselves, should Hernandez not be able to  resist the wacky weed call...and to provide Hernandez with financial incentives to behave himself: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/06/patriots
    _play_c.html

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Or would you say to yourself that "logically", the dog is an animal not unlike any other animal that gets hunted and eaten?  Logically they are the same, but most of us would cringe at seeing that happen to the dog.  Why?  Because even the most rebellious of us still have societal norms deeply embedded into us.
    Posted by carawaydj

No, logically dogs are different from other animals, just like humans are different from other animals.  For example, cats s*** and deserve such treatment. 

QWEED

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

This post is about the Pats signing Hernandez. Not about the legalization of pot, the social reasons why, it's addiction/non-addiction, etc.... The Pats just signed a very promising TE that has been taking reps with the 1st team offense. This kid will keep his nose clean. His contract is structured to protect the Pats against the worst case scenario. If Hernandez succeeds which I think he will, he will earn a good pay day.  The big story here is Hernandez has been signed and we may have a weapon unlike we have ever seen before on the field. This offense just became multi-dimensional in an offseason as long as the play calling is creative and Brady spreads the wealth.  We have 3 legit TE's, with different skills. Hernandez will be a versatile weapon defenses will have to scheme specifically against. My prognostication
    Posted by PatsLifer

Ok you discussion board nazi, this is for you-

Chill out and relax then jump in this here van,
    Cause Obamaramadingdong is gonna take us to the promised land.
    Fields of chronic await you there and i'll introduce you to Mary with the
    lovely red hairs.
    She's the only girl that always keeps it right, she'll be with you in
     the morning and well into the night.
    Taste her once and you won't quit, now i'll say the name
    Hernandez so this post is legit.

PEACE!