Pats sign McGowan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Pats sign McGowan

This along with all the other signings in the secondary most likely  spells the end for Rodney Harrison. I doubt he'll come back to mentor the "kids" he'll want to play and start and I'm not sure he can to that any more.

< Back to Front PageText size  +

ESPN: Pats reach agreement with McGowan

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff May 5, 2009 10:52 AM

05052009mcgowan600.jpg
    Brandon McGowan tackles Kansas City's Larry Johnson last season. (Getty Images)

The Patriots have reached a two-year contract agreement with free-agent safety Brandon McGowan, according to John Clayton of ESPN.

The 5-foot-11, 207-pound McGowan is considered a physical player. The former Maine Black Bear was limited to two games last season by an ankle injury.

With the Patriots drafting safety Patrick Chung 34th overall, and reaching an agreement with the 25-year-old McGowan, the likelihood of Rodney Harrison returning becomes that much more of a long shot. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Pats sign McGowan

Didn't I hear some speculation that Atlanta might be interested in Harrison?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Yes, I've heard those rumors as well. He could replace Lawyer Miloy, also Atlanta is RH's hometown.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

While every team wants to have a full compliment of players at every position, how many safeties are the pats planning to keep?  Isn't that 5 safeties on the roster now - not including harrison?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Does anyone have any information about him besides what is in the espn article? i don't think i watched any bears games in 2007, which sounds like his best season. is he a legit player? one thing this made me consider is that maybe mckenzie is out for the season and the pats are now planning on using tank williams in the ILB rotation (like they were planning last year before he got hurt), hense the need for another run support type safety.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

While every team wants to have a full compliment of players at every position, how many safeties are the pats planning to keep?  Isn't that 5 safeties on the roster now - not including harrison?
    Posted by underdogg

The Pats use a lot of tweener safeties.
    CB/S: Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Brandon Meriweather, Antwain Spann
    S/LB: Patrick Chung, Tank Williams
    S/WR/ST: Ray Ventrone, Matt Slater
    S: James Sanders, Brandon McGowan

Of these, Spann, Williams, Ventrone, and McGowan don't make my 53 man roster. Slater, Springs, and Bodden would primarily play their other position. So I'd just consider Meriweather, Chung, and Sanders as the likely safeties going into the regular season.

At this point in the offseason, the Pats and most teams can afford to take a look at players like McGowan since the rookies aren't going to be under contract for a while. The Pats have 80 men on their current roster and cut 12 of the random acquisitions they've had since the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Essentially the Pats can act as if they have the luxury of a 92 man roster right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

If you look at the team, Chung is the only other SS, McGowan provides depth there.  He probably won't make the roster, but its worth a shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

If you look at the team, Chung is the only other SS, McGowan provides depth there.  He probably won't make the roster, but its worth a shot.
    Posted by titletownfan

why wouldnt he make the roster?without harrison,he would be our best safety behind merriweather with some knowledge of the game,until chung gets up to speed.he will beat out sanders for sure.I think if BB didnt think he would make the team,he wouldnt have bothered,or give a two year contract,instead of a one year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

i don't know, I think he will, but I have heard that he might just be for depth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Living near the Universtity of Maine, i would like to say he was pretty darn good on some pretty awful teams, and I mean awful

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I have been saying for weeks now we are about to see some new type of defense from BB where he's using these safeties all over the place and as pass rushers.  I think this convinces me even more we are in for a treat this year.  Too many teams are not good at reading the 3-4 so the master of it will now become the master and come up with something new.

We have guys that can come to the line or drop into coverage, guys with size and speed that came come around the edge or allow a LB to blitz while they cover a TE or RB.  I like the personal we have and I think this is the begenning of something new.  Also these guys are faster than LBs and can probably play better against the wildcat.  Get the popcorn ready BB is in the lab making a new winning formula.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Does anyone have any information about him besides what is in the espn article? i don't think i watched any bears games in 2007, which sounds like his best season. is he a legit player? one thing this made me consider is that maybe mckenzie is out for the season and the pats are now planning on using tank williams in the ILB rotation (like they were planning last year before he got hurt), hense the need for another run support type safety.
    Posted by artielang

Tank was only supposed to play ILB in the Nickel Package.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I have been saying for weeks now we are about to see some new type of defense from BB where he's using these safeties all over the place and as pass rushers.  I think this convinces me even more we are in for a treat this year.  Too many teams are not good at reading the 3-4 so the master of it will now become the master and come up with something new. We have guys that can come to the line or drop into coverage, guys with size and speed that came come around the edge or allow a LB to blitz while they cover a TE or RB.  I like the personal we have and I think this is the begenning of something new.  Also these guys are faster than LBs and can probably play better against the wildcat.  Get the popcorn ready BB is in the lab making a new winning formula.
    Posted by Pats7393

I am excited to see our new defense this year.....

Sections
Shortcuts