Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB-IS-BEST. Show BB-IS-BEST's posts

Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why?

This move seems puzzling to me. Why resign Morris? He is old, doesn't do much here anyway, we drafted two young rbs, we have BJGE and Woodhead, and we don't need to waste this money. I like Sammy Morris but honestly he's not worth resigning. If anything I would have expected them to resign Faulk. If it's a vet minimum deal and no guaranteed money than I don't have a problem. I guess he is just a camp filler. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Re: Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why?

Yeah, a head scratcher.  Maybe it is to push the draft picks (RB's) and for depth.  He is also decent on special teams. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2011/07/27/agent-sammy-morris-agrees-to-1yr-deal/

There's the link...

Maybe an RB competition?

Or keep him as a FB?

And how can you justify bringing Kevin Faulk back now and keeping 6 RBs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Likely a CYA signing because the year is shortened. Without rookie camp, teams will be looking for vets who know the system in case they need them.

It doesn't address LT, OLB and WR, where NE are thin on talent, experience, or both.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why?:
    Likely a CYA signing because the year is shortened. Without rookie camp, teams will be looking for vets who know the system in case they need them. It doesn't address LT, OLB and WR, where NE are thin on talent, experience, or both.
    Posted by zbellino

zbellino... Q to you and/or ALL: How many RBs do The Pats usually carry on their 53???   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

why not, he is a above average special teams player and good short yardage back, bb has no clue how ridley and vereen will turn out especially after the loss of time in training camp, and will faulk be the same faulk? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB-IS-BEST. Show BB-IS-BEST's posts

In Response to Re: Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why? : zbellino... Q to you and/or ALL: How many RBs do The Pats usually carry on their 53???   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Typically 4 or 5

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why? : zbellino... Q to you and/or ALL: How many RBs do The Pats usually carry on their 53???   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Five in recent years. That makes seven entering camp.

BJGE, Kettani, Vereen, Ridley, Morris, Woodhead, and Clayton. I think they likely bring Faulk in as well, unless he says he's retiring. But only five will make the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's good camp depth. He most likely is a league min deal so it doesn't count against the cap unless he's part of the 53 roster on opening day (only the top 53 salaries count against the cap in pre-season). So it buys BB time to evaluate how the rooks preform or who's healthier between Morris and Faulk before opening day. Good pre-season depth move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Asking myself the same question..
    60maxpowero.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

He is one of their better special teamers. Also the experience factor. At the very least he will be valuable with helping the rookies in camp. Keep in mind that just because he has been signed, it doesn't necessarily mean he will make the final cut.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

hes a veteran, and can mentor young players coming in.. all the players have to make the team... and competition seperates them and pats can use new cap exemtions for vets with 5 years  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

He is one of their better special teamers. Also the experience factor. At the very least he will be valuable with helping the rookies in camp. Keep in mind that just because he has been signed, it doesn't necessarily mean he will make the final cut.
    Posted by antibody

I was just going to say this.  Morris will show the new kids the ropes during camp.  If someone gets hurt he could stick, if the other 4 guys are healthy, he'll be cut or "retire."  Keep in mind we have 3 QBs and 4 TEs likely to be on the 53 man roster so there is no way we can carry 5 backs again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In Response to Re: Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why? : I was just going to say this.  Morris will show the new kids the ropes during camp.  If someone gets hurt he could stick, if the other 4 guys are healthy, he'll be cut or "retire."  Keep in mind we have 3 QBs and 4 TEs likely to be on the 53 man roster so there is no way we can carry 5 backs again.
    Posted by Faucetman

"When someone gets hurt" it will most likely be Morris.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

He's okay I guess

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I doubt he makes it to the 53 man roster

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why? : "When someone gets hurt" it will most likely be Morris.
    Posted by Cyberknot

Exactly!!  I'd rather had seen Faulk come back to be the mentor and have him retire before the first game and get all the fanfare he deserved, a la Bruschi.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Maybe his leadership? He is a vet who know the system in case the 2 rookies dont cut it. You have to look that this is a short time for the pats do to things. So maybe they are going with what they have to be better prepared for the season. Plus its only one year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Thanx you two...  Bein' honest here, whether or not he makes the 53 man squad, I like this signing b/c I like Sammy Morris, and what he brings (*cough-ideally, hopefully, If and inevitably, before he gets injured..."I like what Morris brings"; That's better).  

#1: Morris imho, is a PERFECT zone-blocking Runningback fit...  Ideal.  And I've stated this before: These big N-S RBs in BB's Pats Offense, ALWAYS seem to have success here (Antwain, Dillon, Morris <when not hurt />).  Now initially, I like some others, have always held on to the notion that: In a zone-Blocking Offensive Line (i.e. more agile, speedy, nimble, less idk-"girth"-think Philly & Minne's, and Dallas's O-Lines=man-man)... anyway, I'd always contended that in a zone-blocking schemed o-line, and in some perfect world, where 2 RBs skills, were somehow equal...Then SIZE matters.  Bigger RBs in the zone-scheme just made sense to me, esp. in terms of having less overall weight (not height...weight=MASS)- on said O-Line, which obviously would pose even in the most minor differences, A lighter zone-blocking O-Lineman vs a heavier man-man O-Line, SAID Lineman's (zone-blocking one) ability to "engulf" a D-Lineman, AS well as a heavier man-man guy can...  

And ya gotta understand, the difference albeit maybe, minor (in blocking for the running game), Is NOT negligible here...b/c 1 extra big mitt from a D-Lineman's paws, can make all the difference in breaking a decent run, or gettin' jammed up at the LOS/slowed down enough, etc..

Anyway...  Previously, THAT was my zone-blocking contention: Decent Sized RB=A#1 criterion.  But with Woodhead (who wasn't used as exclusively as just a 3rd down back, the way we usually know k Faulk, coupled with BJGE who's just your standard RB physical trait of: 5'11 and 215lbs)...neither guy was/is "big", at all...  And esp last year, These guys DID show that they ("one") didn't neccesarily HAVE to be a big bruising RB, to be successful in the zone scheme.

What these guys DID have (or learn)...?  A:  These zone-O line RBs, ABSOLUTELY HAVE to be deliberate...  And THIS is what I actually see now:  Unlike a standard set hole opening in the LOS in man-man blocking, In zone-blocking, It's VERY, hmm "Iffy".  But here's the thing, one that many set-in-their-ways RBs, never can learn:  You have to BOTH-Get right up the LOS as quick as possible, Hit the hole hard & deliberately, And you HAVE (#1) to trust, that a hole, WILL be there (even when ya don't see it)...more "feel".

And this is where Sammy Morris, and some of the "newer" Pats RBs come in here...  For ALL of them, IF you had to find 1 trait that they shared in common...It wouldn't be similiar sizes, nope.  It'd be that BB seems to now be targeting RBs who are N-S runners & here- VERY deliberate (and forward moving in their cuts). 

Sammy Morris, Shane Vereen, BJGE, Woodhead...and IF BB's carrying 5 RBs, Stevan Ridley'll be a perfect match here as well...  ALL N-S, deliberate and efficient (no cut-backs, Maroney dancing, etc, Resulting in TFL), Morris mentoring Ridley, and so Pats are secure in having 2 bigger guys (Ridley 5'11 225lbs/Morris 6'0 225lbs), But who are guys also capable of 2 downs as well (not simply short-yardage, and that's it); Along with 2 more standard 2 down backs (Vereen 5'10 210lbs/BJGE 5'11 215lbs)-both capable passing down backs as well... And Woodhead as your 3rd down scat-back @ 5'09 200lbs, Who himself can see some other looks too.  That's not a bad versatile, secure RB line-up...  Gotta understand, even w/ Morris's absurd injury history, EVERY year w/ NE (save for '10 when he carried the ball, like 6! X), Morris has had a 4.5, 4.4, and 4.7 YA in that time-span  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Young rookie running backs can work into the lineup relatively quickly but they don't yet know how to pick up NFL blitzers.  Young rookie running backs don't know how to run NFL-precision routes.  Morris can pick up the blitz and he can run (trot) routes. 

If, for some reason, BJGE gets a hangnail during preseason and can't start on week 1, Morris can start.  Vereen can't start that quickly.  Ridley can't start either.  Woodhead isn't going to get the rock on 3rd and 1.  That leaves Sammy Morris.  He's lost a step, he may lose two steps a month into the season because he's 65+, but I guess he can still run and with a short training camp he fits the bill. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why?:
    This move seems puzzling to me. Why resign Morris? He is old, doesn't do much here anyway, we drafted two young rbs, we have BJGE and Woodhead, and we don't need to waste this money. I like Sammy Morris but honestly he's not worth resigning. If anything I would have expected them to resign Faulk. If it's a vet minimum deal and no guaranteed money than I don't have a problem. I guess he is just a camp filler. Thoughts?
    Posted by BB-IS-BEST

Here we go! Another GREAT Patriots FA period! Gimme a break!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Wow, one day down and everyone's freaking out already. I'm pretty sure the team needs a fullback. I'm pretty sure Sammy Morris did a solid job with that last season, in addition to his special teams play. Why WOULDN'T you sign him, and then who are you going to replace him with?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why?:
    Posted by BB-IS-BEST

Why resign Morris?  I tell you why, because, because, ahh...  I don't know why.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Pats sign Sammy Morris to a one year deal...Why? : Why resign Morris?  I tell you why, because, because, ahh...  I don't know why.
    Posted by Grogan77

+1

Sections
Shortcuts