Pats Sign Steve Gregory

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory

He started after Bob Sanders got hurt.

I read somewhere, and I can't f r i g g i n find it now, he was playing out of position because of Eric Weddle, a Pro Bowler in both 2010/2011.

Will be interesting, they had good corners in SD also.

Not many holes left to fill assuming this guy starts, and his pay seems to indicate that.

They can go ahead and spend a pick and some money on an RFA now...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory:
    [QUOTE]He started after Bob Sanders got hurt. I read somewhere, and I can't f r i g g i n find it now, he was playing out of position because of Eric Weddle, a Pro Bowler in both 2010/2011. Will be interesting, they had good corners in SD also. Not many holes left to fill assuming this guy starts, and his pay seems to indicate that. They can go ahead and spend a pick and some money on an RFA now...
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

So, this mean that the guy's naturally a Free Safety, with enough experience to play CB in a pinch...? 

Originally, I was sorta confused by the "SS" label, coupled with the Cornerback experience here on him...  Don't see that SS-label/CB tandem that often with Secondary guys under the age of 40 y.o., lol (vs. FS with CB offerings).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Gregory is a solid hitter but tends to get out of position against good passing teams. Against poor QB's like Cassel no problem though. Believe me SD would've kept him if he was Probowl caliber. He can play the run.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory : funny thing, rusty thinks cassel is comparable to aaron rodgers
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]
    Congrats on the ring

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]Gregory is a solid hitter but tends to get out of position against good passing teams. Against poor QB's like Cassel no problem though. Believe me SD would've kept him if he was Probowl caliber. He can play the run.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

He will probably do better here, BB is a great coach and has a way of putting guys in the right position to make the play. Most of the defensive players that left the Patriots had their best days while playing for BB. Gregory may not be a pro bowler but should be a solid addition to this defense. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think this could be a very good signing.  This kid is from Brooklyn and went to Syracuse so he's almost coming home.  We should ink Landry too then see what happens in the draft.  Let's get rid of Brown and Barrett, neither has worked out. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmk. Show tmmk's posts

Like this signing.  Would like to see them sign Landry also.  This way between Chung, Gregory, and Landry, atleast one will be healthy enough to see the field.  (all injury prone) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

There are a lot of good safeties in this draft beyond Barron, don't think this will be the only new safety in camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]He reminds me of Sanders a lot. A solid dependable player. Given Meri got 2 yrs $6mil what Gregory got is a pretty decent deal. I think it's even lower than what Sanders got from Atl. Personally I think BB regretted letting Sanders go and this is his way of making up for it. Good signing. Glad to see they are being more aggressive. Get a solid outside WR, maybe another front 7 player, and I would have loved to get Boss (what he got was reasonable) but I want a solid overall 3rd TE if we plan to continue to run a 2 TE set
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

TE Kevin Boss signed with the Chiefs:
    http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/15/3493904/chiefs-add-te-boss-for-three-years.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory :      TE Kevin Boss signed with the Chiefs: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/15/3493904/chiefs-add-te-boss-for-three-years.html
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Thanks Texas but I already knew, hence the past tense

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats Sign Steve Gregory : So, this mean that the guy's naturally a Free Safety, with enough experience to play CB in a pinch...?  Originally, I was sorta confused by the "SS" label, coupled with the Cornerback experience here on him...  Don't see that SS-label/CB tandem that often with Secondary guys under the age of 40 y.o., lol (vs. FS with CB offerings).    
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

That what it would seem, with additional SS experience now, and BB does love his versatility early in the morn.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Now that the signing is official, I actually love it. You have to think about where we were last year. Gregory is a PLAYMAKER!  Sure he isnt a pro bowl player, but I like the E.Wilson reference. He has the agility of a CB and seems to be around the ball alot and has good ball skills. I would never ask him to play SS here, but he is a Huge upgrade at FS compared to Idebeho.

B.B. will make him better as well. One thing about D.B.'s, if you are willing to learn, B.B. will make you better. As good and experienced as R.Harrison was, he said he learned so much more about the game under B.B. and that it turned him into a complete player. Thats because B.B. will test your abilities and have you doing things you didnt think you could. Look how good Rodney was in coverage after coming here.

Gregory will definately help, but it doesnt start there. Now that we have a solid, but not flashy player, time to sign up Landry. He will be here today and hopefully his medical checks out and B.B. doesnt let him leave.

The convo would be like this.

Landry: How you doing Mr.Belichick

B.B.: Good, lets get down do it. I know what you can do when your healthy and I wanna know is if you will be able to play. If you are healthy, I have no doubt about your ability to help this team. We def. want you here if you are able to play. You can go screw around with the jets disfunctional program and Ryan's predictions, but around here, We just play football and win games. What do you say?

Landry: Im in Coach!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Now that the signing is official, I actually love it. You have to think about we were last year. Gregory is a PLAYMAKER!  Sure he is a pro bowl player, but I like the E.Wilson reference. He has the agility of a CB and seems to be around the ball alot and has good ball skills. I would never ask him to play SS here, but he is a Huge upgrade at FS compared to Idebeho. B.B. will make him better as well. One thing about D.B.'s, if you are willing to learn, B.B. will make you better. As good and experienced as R.Harrison was, he said he learned so much more about the game under B.B. and that it turned him into a complete player. Thats because B.B. will test your abilities and have you doing things you didnt think you could. Look how good Rodney was in coverage after coming here. Gregory will definately help, but it doesnt start there. Now that we have a solid, but not flashy player, time to sign up Landry. He will be here today and hopefully his medical checks out and B.B. doesnt let him leave. The convo would be like this. Landry: How you doing Mr.Belichick B.B.: Good, lets get down do it. I know what you can do when your healthy and I wanna know is if you will be able to play. If you are healthy, I have no doubt about your ability to help this team. We def. want you here if you are able to play. You can go screw around with the jets disfunctional program and Ryan's predictions, but around here, We just play football and win games. What do you say? Landry: Im in Coach!
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

ROFL, sorry Jay but I don't think BB is going to kiss butt to Landry. I think it might go more like this:

Landry: Hello Mr. BB sir. Good to meet you
    BB: We just signed Gregory we don't need you if you aren't healthy
    Landry: I swear I will be healthy and ready to go
    BB: If our doctors say you might need to be pupped will you get surgery to speed it up?
    Landry: Well I want to go the more natural route
    BB: hrm.....  We just signed Gregory we don't need you if you aren't healthy
    Landry: But, I will be healthy I swear
    BB: I see your a twitter, are you a twit?
    Landry: I don't understand?
    BB: Hrm.... do you want to be a body builder or one of those WWF people when you grow up?
    Landry: Well that was to show that I'm keeping in shape
    BB: Hrm... and did you use PEDs to stay in shape? You are no good to use if you get suspended
    Landry: Well I took vitamins and protein enhancer I don't know what was in them
    BB: Hrm... well lets talk to our doctors and see what they think. If it's not to bad we might be willing to off a vet minimum base salary with some playing incentives built in. Do you want to reconsider surgery if it doesn't look good?
    Landry: Sorry but I want guaranteed money
    BB: There's the door, 95 is that way have fun in NY
    Landry: Wel can you write up the offer and I'll think about it?
    BB: Sure, you might only be a camp body anyways

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Maybe, We will never know and for the record Eng, Landry has already had surgery on his achilles by what i heard, so maybe its not as far fetched as you think.

B.B. loves him some Safeties. He did the same for Rodney. its not a ss kissing, its called respect for someones game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I just think you dont like the guy and thats fine, but cmon with all the WWF, and body building comments.

The guy has big guns, so after he makes a big play, he posed like a body builder, other than that, how many competitions has he participated in?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe, We will never know and for the record Eng, Landry has already had surgery on his achilles by what i heard, so maybe its not as far fetched as you think. B.B. loves him some Safeties. He did the same for Rodney. its not a ss kissing, its called respect for someones game.

Where did you hear he had surgery. The last thing I heard was from Feb 10th here's the article. Doesn't sound like he wants surgery at all

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/02/10/laron-landry-explains-why-he-doesnt-want-to-have-achilles-surgery/

He's going for PRP and stem cell therapy. Nether have which have shown any results in healing tendons from sports injures in the past

The reason I keep saying body building is because of the enormous bulk he's added. Landry has always been a bigger guy but seriously have you ever seen anyone with this kind of bulk that wasn't a body builder or in the WWF? He even said he planned to bulk up from his normally playing weight of 220 to 240! That's 20 lbs he's bulking up and by photo's I think he's done that. You don't think adding 20lbs is going to affect his mobility at all? Some even suggesting that he might have surpassed 240 and might be closer to 250lb. Adding 20lbs without working it out on the field is a risky venture. We aren't talking a little bulk here that a massive amount of body added with little clue on how it will in turn affect his play. There is a very good reason teams try to keep players within (+/-) 5lbs of optimal playing weight and that's with players practicing on the field. The man looks like he's wearing one of those muscle suits for halloween. It's not natural in any sense and I highly doubt he was working on cardio or flexibility when trying to become so large he needs to walk through a door sidewise

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/laron-landry-is-the-hulk/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Just for comparison Jay

Landry before bulking up (big guy)

Landry after bulking up (wth Hulk?)

you cannot tell me that this won't affect his play, nor can you tell me it's natural to gain that much bulk since he was put on IR

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

He played like this last year. His biggest thing is making sure his legs are good and his achiiles and ankles.

I have no problem with a guy bulking up. B.B. likes guys who work hard in the locker room. Some people work their whole life to look like that. He is blessed to have natural muscle definiton and I DO NOT know if it is from enhancemant or p.e.d., but thats what I would worry about it. Is how he got big, not that he is big.  He would be playing the big nickel safety./rover here most likely so no problem there for me.

I seen the exchange he had with a twitter fan, was that you...lol

He sais he is 218, No Fat. Like you, the fan was concerned with his bulk and he siad "dont worry, Im blessed"

As for the surgery, when I read an article about him visiting the pats, at the end it stated that he was coming off of an achilles surgery. Have no idea if its true, but its obvious he is no longer commited to the skins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

[QUOTE]Just for comparison Jay Landry before bulking up (big guy) Landry after bulking up (wth Hulk?) you cannot tell me that this won't affect his play, nor can you tell me it's natural to gain that much bulk since he was put on IR
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Shopping at Baby Gap does help though...  Just saying....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]He played like this last year. His biggest thing is making sure his legs are good and his achiiles and ankles. I have no problem with a guy bulking up. B.B. likes guys who work hard in the locker room. Some people work their whole life to look like that. He is blessed to have natural muscle definiton and I DO NOT know if it is from enhancemant or p.e.d., but thats what I would worry about it. Is how he got big, not that he is big.  He would be playing the big nickel safety./rover here most likely so no problem there for me. I seen the exchange he had with a twitter fan, was that you...lol He sais he is 218, No Fat. Like you, the fan was concerned with his bulk and he siad "dont worry, Im blessed" As for the surgery, when I read an article about him visiting the pats, at the end it stated that he was coming off of an achilles surgery. Have no idea if its true, but its obvious he is no longer commited to the skins.

Jay he did not play like this last year. He only gained this bulk after he was IRed. When he was IRed he was quoted as saying he wanted to bulk up to 240 (that was directly quoted from his own words).

With him saying he's 218 I highly doubt that. Again look at those pictures. The one on the top is his playing weight listed (220) (picture came from in article written in Aug 2011) then look at his bottom picture (picture from his twitter account recently). It's clear he added muscle, there can be no denying it. Since he added muscle that means he gained weight. He didn't have much body fat to begin with but even then fat weighs less then muscle so no matter if he lost any tiny bit of fat he had left adding that amount of muscle would add weight not remain the same weight. It's physically impossible for him to add that much muscle and not gain weight.

And no I don't twitter. I actually think the whole twitter concept is silly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

As do I, but your article had the twitter convo so i read it.

I dont really care about all that, like I said. He is here today in foxboro, let B.B. make the call.

If you read the exchange, you will he is said, things aint always what they seem (paraphrasing) suggesting that all the news around him may not be true.

He also said that he messed up his achilles by shooting it up to play for the skins so there is some resentment there and thats the reason for the defiant behavoir, IMO.

He didnt care for the Skins to know his health condition and is working to get back and prove people wrong.  Sounds like my kind of guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Don't really care what Landry looks like so long as he's clean, healthy and can play.  If he's all that and can be had at the Pats price, great; if not, also great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from elendil. Show elendil's posts

Well if it turns out he can't cover the opposing receivers he can at least eat them before they get into their routes!

Sections
Shortcuts