Pats Signings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Re: Pats Signings

Phil Loadholt's 4 years, 25 millions contract in MN would probably set the market price for Vollmer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:

The Pats are always bargain shopping.  It works.  It's frustrating for fans, tho.

The "good" players, both blue chippers and role players alike, will come off the board early and at fat prices.  A few of the leftover "bad" players will be notably underpriced. 

The problem is it doesn't work. They spend a whole bunch of money on players that don't contribute every year and end up spending just as much for players they cut at the end of camp as they would have spent for their own players they lost. Just go down the years and how many of those FA's became starters or impacted the team? Lloyd? Gregory? Nink might be the only FA in the last 5 years to come on the team and have a significant impact on the team.

Agree. And this is the most frustrating part. They are a few key pieces away, and bb for,whatever reason won't spend. With limited draft picks, he has to do something in FA. The FA pool is starting to dwindle, but there are still some quality players left. I pray he makes some moves today. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

The Pats are always bargain shopping.  It works.  It's frustrating for fans, tho.

The "good" players, both blue chippers and role players alike, will come off the board early and at fat prices.  A few of the leftover "bad" players will be notably underpriced. 

The problem is it doesn't work. They spend a whole bunch of money on players that don't contribute every year and end up spending just as much for players they cut at the end of camp as they would have spent for their own players they lost. Just go down the years and how many of those FA's became starters or impacted the team? Lloyd? Gregory? Nink might be the only FA in the last 5 years to come on the team and have a significant impact on the team.

Agree. And this is the most frustrating part. They are a few key pieces away, and bb for,whatever reason won't spend. With limited draft picks, he has to do something in FA. The FA pool is starting to dwindle, but there are still some quality players left. I pray he makes some moves today. 

I agree, the good news the DB market hasn't even been scratched yet and that was a major need. It will be tough losing Vollmer but I think we can survive with Cannon. What's most frustrating is that the WR market is extremely thin and the WR's in the draft aren't exactly the most talented bunch. You aren't going to find great starters in the draft this year like in past years and it would kill me seeing the depth and talent at DT and our need at DT to have to pass up on one of them because we have to take a less talented WR in the 1st if we let Welker walk.

Now if Hern gets moved to the slot and they somehow bring in a true X or Z WR then go out and spend that money they saved on Welker for a couple starting caliber DB's then I'd be fine with that but we have $25mil to spend. With the rook sloting we only need to spend $3.5mil on rooks given our picks this year. If they spending $22.5mil on 12 guys because they were bargains because of age, talent busts, injury issues then I'll be pissed because you know at least 8 of those guys would be cut before camp breaks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Phil Loadholt's 4 years, 25 millions contract in MN would probably set the market price for Vollmer.

I'd be happy to give Vollmer that. Seems like a fair contract to me

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I agree, the good news the DB market hasn't even been scratched yet and that was a major need. It will be tough losing Vollmer but I think we can survive with Cannon. What's most frustrating is that the WR market is extremely thin and the WR's in the draft aren't exactly the most talented bunch. You aren't going to find great starters in the draft this year like in past years and it would kill me seeing the depth and talent at DT and our need at DT to have to pass up on one of them because we have to take a less talented WR in the 1st if we let Welker walk.

Now if Hern gets moved to the slot and they somehow bring in a true X or Z WR then go out and spend that money they saved on Welker for a couple starting caliber DB's then I'd be fine with that but we have $25mil to spend. With the rook sloting we only need to spend $3.5mil on rooks given our picks this year. If they spending $22.5mil on 12 guys because they were bargains because of age, talent busts, injury issues then I'll be pissed because you know at least 8 of those guys would be cut before camp breaks.

There hasn't been a lot of discussion of this, but the decision to go light on WRs last year may create some difficultites this year.  It's hard to rebuild a position from ground up in one year.  The Pats have had these issues before, where they end up going into a season with a key position in bad shape.  It happened with WRs in 2006, when Branch left, and it happened at CB in 2008 when Samuel left.  We really didn't have replacements for the guys leaving and didn't do much to replace them in FA or the draft.  I'm not advocating desperation moves, but sometimes it seems the Pats don't plan ahead well enough to replace likely losses and are forced into duct tape and paper clip solutions. I'm worried about that at receiver on a team that is really built to be first and foremost a passing team. 

I would be worried about the secondary too, but it's been so bad the past few years (at least until Talib came), that it can't get much worse. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I would add Andre Carter, Mark Anderson, and Brian Waters to Nink as free agents who were a success within the last 2 years.  Lloyd was also a success.  Maybe he didn't put the numbers up that others felt he would, but he wasn't a disaster like you're implying.  Also, you are trashing BB for not being aggressive, but then you point to Lloyd as a failure.  Almost showing why it is in BB's best interest not to make the splashy pick but to wait and pay for value.  

I'd like to hear about the time that the team who won in March's free agency also won the Super Bowl.  Like the Bills last year, or the Eagles the year before, or even the Redskins every year.

There are still plenty of very good players available at positions the Patriots need.  I'd really like them to sign Vollmer.  As for CB there are plenty of good options available and the Pats are probably letting the market get set.  I'd like to see them go after Grimes and Winfield.  With the release of Michael Huff, I think the Pats should pounce on that.

The WR market does seem thin and I'd like Welker to stay, but if he leaves the cupboard is not bare.  Having the Gronk, Hernandez combo can help with the loss of Welker.  If they keep Lloyd, they probably hope he improves next season.  So you are really just filling one hole at receiver and hopefully they bring back Edelman and draft a youngster.

Just because the Pats didn't make a huge splash at 4 o'clock on day one doesn't mean they aren't going to do anything.  Just wait, and I think we'll be looking at another successful year in Foxboro.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I know noone is going to be happy with what I'm about to say but I think the Patriots are going to lose all 3 of the so called big three FA's of their own.Sorry to have be the one who says it but they will be outbid on all 3 players. Fortunately they only need to sign an above average DB and a wr or 2. If Vollmer leaves they will simply plug Cannon in at RT or Zuksevics plus the guy they draft will be an olineman. BB has been burned so many times in Free Agency he just doesn't like too spend big bucks on any FA's.It was fun watching WW but I fear he will be playing somewheres else next year. There is absolutely no way I invision BB coughing up 14 mil per season for him or 10 mil for Seabass and Talib though he's a very good player he ain't getting 8 mil plus per season in NE...C'est La vie!

I am thiking the same thing and it wouldnt be the worse thing. I would like to move on from wes. I dont want to over pay a tackle with a bad back and I think Talib is a bit overated coming here where our DBs s*ck and he looked better than he is, but all he does is provide a bigger body so other teams dont throw it up for jump balls but he still gives up plays and has too many nagging injuries that happen from minimal contact so I wouldnt miss any of them cuz I want to upgrade and the CB market is deep and we can do more for less money IMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Paularnold

Except Waters, Carter, Anderson all had short contracts and they left after a year or so. Stability and continuty are important.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I know noone is going to be happy with what I'm about to say but I think the Patriots are going to lose all 3 of the so called big three FA's of their own.Sorry to have be the one who says it but they will be outbid on all 3 players. Fortunately they only need to sign an above average DB and a wr or 2. If Vollmer leaves they will simply plug Cannon in at RT or Zuksevics plus the guy they draft will be an olineman. BB has been burned so many times in Free Agency he just doesn't like too spend big bucks on any FA's.It was fun watching WW but I fear he will be playing somewheres else next year. There is absolutely no way I invision BB coughing up 14 mil per season for him or 10 mil for Seabass and Talib though he's a very good player he ain't getting 8 mil plus per season in NE...C'est La vie!

If that is the case what is the point of Brady restructuring his deal. Surely he wouldn't be too happy to do this if the Pats were just going to let their good F/A's walk and not have a plan to bring in replacements?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to paularnold's comment:

I would add Andre Carter, Mark Anderson, and Brian Waters to Nink as free agents who were a success within the last 2 years.  Lloyd was also a success.  Maybe he didn't put the numbers up that others felt he would, but he wasn't a disaster like you're implying.  Also, you are trashing BB for not being aggressive, but then you point to Lloyd as a failure.  Almost showing why it is in BB's best interest not to make the splashy pick but to wait and pay for value.  

I'd like to hear about the time that the team who won in March's free agency also won the Super Bowl.  Like the Bills last year, or the Eagles the year before, or even the Redskins every year.

There are still plenty of very good players available at positions the Patriots need.  I'd really like them to sign Vollmer.  As for CB there are plenty of good options available and the Pats are probably letting the market get set.  I'd like to see them go after Grimes and Winfield.  With the release of Michael Huff, I think the Pats should pounce on that.

The WR market does seem thin and I'd like Welker to stay, but if he leaves the cupboard is not bare.  Having the Gronk, Hernandez combo can help with the loss of Welker.  If they keep Lloyd, they probably hope he improves next season.  So you are really just filling one hole at receiver and hopefully they bring back Edelman and draft a youngster.

Just because the Pats didn't make a huge splash at 4 o'clock on day one doesn't mean they aren't going to do anything.  Just wait, and I think we'll be looking at another successful year in Foxboro.

Why is it people who defend the approach bring up winning in March. Last time I checked none of us have said they have to win in March and I have said repeatedly they don't have to go crazy but they do need to add more talent. Is it so wrong to suggest that you need to add talent and not grab a whole bunch of mid teir players hoping that some stick? Some of the best teams grab 1-2 talented players to add to the mix every year while keeping their own. The Pats add enough to maintain the status quo and don't mind letting players leave yet cut most of the mid teir guys they sign which creates the difference in dead money from what the proven players they didn't resign get. So you'll have to forgive us when year after year we see them sign 6 players and maybe 1-2 might give you something but not enough to get over the top as opposed to taking a chance at signing talent to push you over the top

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Pat's resigned Tom Brady that was pretty big, they resigned Vince Wilfork last off season which was pretty big, they'll resign WW, Talib Seabass, or all three and that will be pretty big... we're always players in free agency but when it comes to this time of year posters here shop with their eyes.  

Once the storm settles and the market dictates what everybody is actually worth BB will load up, be patient.  All the players on my wish list are still sitting there...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good post.  I agree.  The guys I was hoping for are still available too. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The Pat's resigned Tom Brady that was pretty big, they resigned Vince Wilfork last off season which was pretty big, they'll resign WW, Talib Seabass, or all three and that will be pretty big... we're always players in free agency but when it comes to this time of year posters here shop with their eyes.  

Once the storm settles and the market dictates what everybody is actually worth BB will load up, be patient.  All the players on my wish list are still sitting there...

I agree, but it is hard for fans! I understand. I used to let it get it to me but Im used to them sitting back and I dont mind as long as stay away from garbage like Fanene, Ocho, haynesworth types. Id like to see them just get their guy and stop with the risk/reward, bargain stuff. This time of year as well as the wait for Pats to pick their 1st pick have to be the most difficult times for fans. I do have confidence that we CAN come away looking very good once the dust settles but it depends on how they handle Wes, IMO. That choice will dictate a lot and I hope they are leaning on moving on so we can spend that money on D