Pats Strategy.....are they being Cheap or Trying to Build from within???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KUL00. Show KUL00's posts

Pats Strategy.....are they being Cheap or Trying to Build from within???

Watching the pats from afar I have somewhat mixed feelings over the WR group. If you see Denver & a few other teams that are just lighting up the scoreboard makes you wonder whether it is circumstances of bad luck or the pats being cheap when locking down quality players on the offense has caught up with them. Granted no one could have predicted AH & RG being out due their issues, but at the same time maybe they over estimated Brady to make the players around him better. He is a HOF with maybe 3 years left at most.  I understand the notion of developing players from a salary cap perspective, but it just seems like a bit of a shame not to surround him with a better group of players at the twilight of his career.

I am sure I am not the only one with some mixed emotions on this one...maybe week 10 will be a better time to assess what was the best offense in the league the past few years.

PS: The Game against the bengals was mission impossible. They were bound for a bad game so it was a fitting end in some ways!

Go D!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Pats Strategy.....are they being Cheap or Trying to Build from within???

In 2009, the Colts gave Peyton Manning two rookie WRs in Garcon and Collie and asked Peyton Manning to develop them.Sure, The Colts had FHOFs Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark still, but Peyton did his best to bring them up. Tom, on the other hand, has been kicking and screaming the whole way. He's refused to bring the rookies along and has even told them that "If you dont do things the way I want, I'll just throw the ball to Danny a hundred times" instead of coaching them up like a good veteran QB would do.

The reason the offense stalls so much is that Tom, it seems like, favored Amendola all camp and neglected to help the rooks.

I could care less about other teams scoring a plethora of points, the team that scores the most doesnt win the SB. BB finally fixed the defense, but Tom is too busy pouting over who he's throwing to to see that he has the best team since 2007 here that can win a SB if he just wills the offense to be better. I miss the old Tom, the one who was willing to win with whoever. This new one is turning into pouting Peyton, not even Peyton Manning still pouts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Biggest crock, I've ever read,  other than Rusty's.

Were you at camp?  He neglected the Rookies? 

I guess you missed the part that Payaton still had Wayne and Clark and was not forced to start with 3 nobodies. That's huge.  It's called bringing them along and not throwing them into the fire to make or break,

Well it appears they are broken and nobody will ever mistake them for Peyton's projects.

Hopefully they can overcome by the end of their contracts.

Quit blaming Tom because your boy, Boyce is not seeing the field.

He's actually the lucky one.  Not in the creek without a paddle..

Tom keeps throwing the others life-lines, unfortunately they keep DROPPING them.

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

CLARK JUDGE______7/13/13_____________________________________

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

1000%, the PAts are not cheap. They spend to the limit give or take $3-5 million. That is being smart.

You can question how and where they have spent that money, but you cannot question that they have spent

Look at the dead money on the books, and look at the CAP situation next year... I firmly believe the resources (draft and FA) used to fix the D, neglected the WR group (and the DL group).

If you have been readingg the board the past 2-3 years, the criticism directed towards the GM has been regarding how he has spent the available $$$, and who he has drafted

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I will just say this. First off, I hope folks have calmed down after the loss. My stance as always has been that the Pats are not so much cheap, but they dont spend wisely and this causes them to be cheap once the bad signings catch up to them.(dead money)

I am going to try and enjoy the season as always so thats why I am positive. Whatever we have is what we have. I will Ride with the team. The frustrating part is hearing uneducated fans pounce on one player because they are too ignorant to learn the game or factor in context and things like that. People came here yesterday and said things they will surely regret in a few weeks. So when Brady is leading this team on a 5 game winning streak and playing great, what will they say? Brady found the fountain of youth?? or...Brady suddenly learned how to play again??

This is Bradys problem. You are supposed to build in the trenches and work inside and then out. We USED to do that. We drafted Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and always had a wealth of defensive line help in the stable. Since those 3, we started taking guys late and trying to be cheap. It hasnt worked. We have all our money tied into one fat guy who is getting old and playing too much and isnt that effective anymore outside of taking up space in the run game.

You are SUPPOSED to PAY your QB(got that right) if he is ELITE and then your # 1 CB! We havent paid there in a while(Ty law) and then D-line and then # 1 WR and then other needed positions

Our money is tied into Brady, Wilfork(gone), Mankins(overated), Gronk(Often injured), Hernadez(in jail) and Mayo(played great sunday, but is a bit overated for his paycheck) and MOST fans think McCourty should get the next big payday?!? and you wonder why we are struggling.

Where is the # 1 WR for this Elite QB? You pay the guy 17 million but give him scraps to throw to?  We dont have our payscale right. No way you spend all that money on not one, but TWO Tight ends who werent EVEN UP yet and now a year later neither of them are here to help...smh

Need to get that G.M and you will see results. Hows that 8 million for Logan looking now?

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The pats never spend to the cap.  Is Belichick's highest paid coach salary somehow tied to the pats cap #?

As for the receivers and Brady, something's up.  I have a really hard time believing the pats are this bad at drafting receivers.  They do a great job drafting TE's.  If its not drafting then it has to be something related to their lack of development and with that you look to the QB. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

I guess you missed the part that Payaton still had Wayne and Clark and was not forced to start with 3 nobodies. That's huge.  It's called bringing them along and not throwing them into the fire to make or break,

Well it appears they are broken and nobody will ever mistake them for Peyton's projects.

Tom keeps throwing the others life-lines, unfortunately they keep DROPPING them.

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

My quote was a quote, not my opinion. He told the commentators that in week 1, they voiced it on air. Face it, Tom isn't the pre-2007 Tom Brady anymore. He changed, not for the better either. 

He's not as clutch as he used to be and he's no longer the find the open guy, get him the ball WR we had in the dynasty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

My quote was a quote, not my opinion. He told the commentators that in week 1, they voiced it on air. Face it, Tom isn't the pre-2007 Tom Brady anymore. He changed, not for the better either. 

He's not as clutch as he used to be and he's no longer the find the open guy, get him the ball WR we had in the dynasty.

Really? So what are you gonna say in a month when Brady has reeled off 5 wins in a row and is playing great?  he found the fountain of youth? Stop it! How did he look great in preseason and now all of a sudden he fell of a cliff?? Its called a GOOD DEFENSE .CINCY HAS ONE<,...Actually VEry Good to Great. Atlanta, Bills, Jets...not so much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

[QUOTE]

Really? So what are you gonna say in a month when Brady has reeled off 5 wins in a row and is playing great?  he found the fountain of youth? Stop it! How did he look great in preseason and now all of a sudden he fell of a cliff?? Its called a GOOD DEFENSE .CINCY HAS ONE<,...Actually VEry Good to Great. Atlanta, Bills, Jets...not so much.

[/QUOTE]

In the next 5 weeks, Amendola should be fully recovered, Gronk fully fit, Edelman's workrate decreased so that they don't risk injuring him and Vareen should be back. Brady, hopefully, will be satisfied...or be pouting cause Welker's still not here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from headhuntersixsix. Show headhuntersixsix's posts

What I'd like to know is that at this point can either Kraft go into BB's office after the season and discuss FA's and the draft and the direction of the team honestly with him. Has that ship sailed a long time ago. Its their team, could they tell BB that they're bringing in a GM or would like somebody else as O coordinator. We've had the perfect storm of turmoil at the WR and TE position. It should settle down once Gronk is back. It won't be great for 3-4 games but it has to be better. They're 4-1 headed into a possible track meet with the Saints. I hope this is why Gronk hasn't played. There are no real fat guy replacements for Wilfork, so BB has adjusted with what he has. I don't see them giving up draft picks or Mallet for anybody out there at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I was at camp, as I have been for every one of Bradys camp, and I was also there for Bledsoe.

Brady is indeed one of the hardest workers, and he worked extensively with the rookie WR's. Lets also not forget that the early part of camp saw 13 WR's in attendance.

I thought Brady was as sharp, as precise and as smart as ever, in camp, and in the practice/game envirement with Tampa....I saw ZERO decline.

The issue we are seeing in games, as we have ALWAYS seen with TB, is that he is not the same QB when forced to rush his throws or hit/sacked. This is not new, it has been the situation for as long as he has been here. The issue/problem IMO has been the OL. I had commented earlier, that Wendell and Connolly have taken a step back from last seasons performance, and Cincy completely shut down the run (I also posted PFF OL scores from the game)...I think as the OL improves, and I think this means Cannon and Svitek getting more snaps, and as the WR's continue to take positive steps, TB's performance will also improve.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I was at camp, as I have been for every one of Bradys camp, and I was also there for Bledsoe.

Brady is indeed one of the hardest workers, and he worked extensively with the rookie WR's. Lets also not forget that the early part of camp saw 13 WR's in attendance.

I thought Brady was as sharp, as precise and as smart as ever, in camp, and in the practice/game envirement with Tampa....I saw ZERO decline.

The issue we are seeing in games, as we have ALWAYS seen with TB, is that he is not the same QB when forced to rush his throws or hit/sacked. This is not new, it has been the situation for as long as he has been here. The issue/problem IMO has been the OL. I had commented earlier, that Wendell and Connolly have taken a step back from last seasons performance, and Cincy completely shut down the run (I also posted PFF OL scores from the game)...I think as the OL improves, and I think this means Cannon and Svitek getting more snaps, and as the WR's continue to take positive steps, TB's performance will also improve.  

Logan and Connoly were owned by Cincys line and Solder had a few mental errors that led to pressure and one sack. Bad day at the line, but why do people always say it like its Just a kryptonite for Brady?? EVERY QB looks bad in the face of constant pressure. Most coordinators adjust and help their QB with plays to offset that pressure. I saw no such adjustments from Joshy. In fact he made it worse with his plan to go no huddle in 2nd half. Also why are we calling playaction pass 1st play of the game? Thats Old Drew Bledsoe to Terry Glenn stuff. You dont pull that crap with rookie Wrs against that Front.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Someone mentioned above how paying Mankins was a big mistake...couldn't agree more. You don't pay a guard - and certainly not what we paid him - you let him walk and spend the money elsewhere. Nothing has surprised me more than when we did that...I understand he's tough and a team player, but he's a guard...one that gets beat regularly in the biggest games of the year against top players. When you're the highest paid guard in football, you aren't suppossed to get beat like he does. His 8 million per season would of looked real good on some defensive tackle while a third round pick came in and did what he does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This is why you troll here daily. I mentioned not paying Logan on a list of bad moves by the G.M. I dont care to be the 1st but sorry to burst your bubble. You didnt PRedict anything or call anything. MOst fans were mad about paying a guard 8 million. I dont remember what year it happened but I NEVER liked the idea of paying a guard and many others didnt but hear you are....little attention  hor,....Look at me, I said it was bad to pay a guard...first! well what did BB DO? thats what matters,. .he didnt take your advice or mines. BUT, he still gets a pass from You?? 

Thanx for your input Rusty. I will file your complaint with the other trillion "Brady s*x" complaints youve filed in the past 5 years. 

Now you are saying you dont care if he comes back and plays better becaues its the regular season?? Can we take that same stance with the defense that returned 10 of 11 starters?? Or should be just continue to ONLY hold our offense to a ridiculously high standard? I mean how many starters was the offense missing sunday?

Yea, I thought so...YOu are a Fraud, and you arent even a Pats fan .let me ask you something,,,serious. When your day here is over(whenever that is), DO you finally sit down and relax and think about all the trolling you did in one day and Feel Proud! Like do you sit back with a stogie and say "I Trolled today...and I Conquered!" 

I can picture that....

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Thomas filled in and played very well if you recall....he would have been a nice reasonable priced replacement as well

We all agree BB did not have his best moment with Mankins....but I dont understand why you feel Carter and Anderson were his jewels? Anderson was very mediocre, and here for only 1 year. He played well for maybe 15 quarters the entire year, and had half his sacks in 1.5 games...sure he was useful, but that is what you point to as BB's crowning free agency signing?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to KUL00's comment:

PS: The Game against the bengals was mission impossible. They were bound for a bad game so it was a fitting end in some ways!

RESPONSE: Oh please! It was a game that the Patriots could have, and should have won. The Pats' "being Cheap or Trying to Build from within" has nothing to do with their current woes. Poor personnel decisions and several poor drafts have everything to do with what ails the team. For example, how would DE Carlos Dunlap look in a Patriots' uniform right now? Instead, BB chose to select his less heralded teammate from Florida, Jermaine Cunningham, instead, in the 2010 draft. Cunningham was the 53rd player selected, while Dunlap went at #54. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see it as a cheapness issue, it is more of a a personnel talent evalution problem.  That Pats have constantly traded down in the draft because of percieved "value".  I think BB actually believes he can outsmart everyone and get equal talent in the lower rounds.  Just look at what was reported when he told the Atlanta's GM about Julio Jones and how he could get equal talent in current Chiefs WR J. Baldwin.    How about when he drafted Maroney over a slew of better talent at RB when his assistant coaches were against it.  

Until Kraft takes away some of the personnel decisions from BB, then expect more bad decisions in the draft and FA. 

No one cares what you think, Bustchise.

Going into a Lockout and needing to build a base cheaper through the draft with a rookie cap comning on in 2011, BB nailed the process for the base we have today to move forward with here.

Your team tried to toss picks, trade up for Keller, Sanchez, drat Kylie and then trade away a 2nd for Cromartie in that same draft of yours, where you then selected another bust in Kenrick Ellis who doesn't play after 3 years in NY.

Ducasse is a bust and has been benched, 2nd rd pick in 2011.

Dee Milliner, #9 overall this year? BUst. Can't get on thre field.

So, it's clear, BB's way, trading back or up based on the market, has been utterly brilliant.

You took Coples at 14 or whatever it was and we took Jones and Hightower. That in a nutshell, explains why the 180 of the BB Way by the Jets absolutely sucks.

Dennard Rd 7 last year, Buchanan Rd 7 this year. 
    Dennard>Milliner or Wilson

Buchanan>Coples

I could go on all day long with the differences and you're an idiot.

[/QUOTE]

harv and butt cheese at it again, the 2 most entertaining losers on this board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I remember reading during this past draft that Belichick wasn't taking the advice from his scouting department.  Does anyone remember that?  I say that is an issue.  Hard to build within when you don't listen to the scouting department and have good players to begin with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Actually, I was the one on record during his hold out that said to trade him and call his bluff. We got someone in hindsight playign ARmChair QB above, but I said that in 2010 and stood by it, under attack and mocked here.

Mt Hurl and you other tools were in here calling Kraft and BB cheap. I had made many suggestions like a 1st or to a team who would suck and take their high 2nd.

It's the only contract in the BB era in terms of value, allocation and approach within the market that I didn't agree with. Still don't.

I was right again. Mankins has gotten worse by the year and we have the best OL coach in NFL history. Dan Connolly, a draft pick, Cannon right now...BB had options.

He probably didn't want to leave Brady newly signed, unprotected up the middle, but Logie is still not doing much in that area these days.

You're a major league Internet creep...why don't you go back and dig up some of those Logan Mankins threads while he was holding out? You'll find that I said over and over again, that I liked Mankins, but you can't pay a guard. While you're at it why don't you go dig up some of those Tommy Kelly threads too? You'll see that I (and everybody else) wanted us to sign him as soon as he got cut. Your childish behavior on here is shamefull and embarrassing to see...the whole, "I was right again" stuff is laughable and quite honestly it makes you look like a fool. You can't tell me no one has ever told you not to act like that - if you haven't then I feel sorry for you - because you have no one who cares about you in your life.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to KUL00's comment:

Watching the pats from afar I have somewhat mixed feelings over the WR group. If you see Denver & a few other teams that are just lighting up the scoreboard makes you wonder whether it is circumstances of bad luck or the pats being cheap when locking down quality players on the offense has caught up with them. Granted no one could have predicted AH & RG being out due their issues, but at the same time maybe they over estimated Brady to make the players around him better. He is a HOF with maybe 3 years left at most.  I understand the notion of developing players from a salary cap perspective, but it just seems like a bit of a shame not to surround him with a better group of players at the twilight of his career.

I am sure I am not the only one with some mixed emotions on this one...maybe week 10 will be a better time to assess what was the best offense in the league the past few years.

Go D!

C-H-E-A-P

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

THe Tom Brady that QBed the team to 3 SBs worked without "Pro Bowl" wideouts.  Then, after 2006, they reinvented the offense to become a juggernaut.  It's not easy to go back to being a game management QB who is not asked to do everything.

When Gronk and Vereen are back and Amendola is at 100 percent, that's a pretty good group of targets especially if one understands that a certain "charged with murder" former TE was going to be part of the plan.  That would have made it a BETTER  group than Gomer's boys....

All they need on O is for one of the rookie WRs to be decen,t and they'll be quite OK with Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Vereen.  Even an older, more skittish Brady still put up the numbers with a healthy corps.

Right now, they have to find a way to beat the Saints.  The D has big chance to take center stage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Actually, I was the one on record during his hold out that said to trade him and call his bluff. We got someone in hindsight playign ARmChair QB above, but I said that in 2010 and stood by it, under attack and mocked here.

Mt Hurl and you other tools were in here calling Kraft and BB cheap. I had made many suggestions like a 1st or to a team who would suck and take their high 2nd.

It's the only contract in the BB era in terms of value, allocation and approach within the market that I didn't agree with. Still don't.

I was right again. Mankins has gotten worse by the year and we have the best OL coach in NFL history. Dan Connolly, a draft pick, Cannon right now...BB had options.

He probably didn't want to leave Brady newly signed, unprotected up the middle, but Logie is still not doing much in that area these days.

Agree...8m wasted. However, there are lots more of these contracts to be found on the pats..both with current players and guys they still pay for but don't play. I don't think the mankins contract is the only bad contract decision bb has made or will make. 

high level I agree with TripleOG...you got to put your money into certain positions, like QB, WR, cb and DT. I think the pats for whatever reason don't think this way. we will see it this offseason when the best cb we have had since Ty law walks, leaving our secondary once again in shambles. 

on mccourty...I wouldn't pay him big money to stay. I would rather take that money and pay Talib, and pray Harmon or Wilson can start at safety. i like mccourty, but the money should be allocated to a shutdown corner, not a so-so safety. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree...8m wasted. However, there are lots more of these contracts to be found on the pats..both with current players and guys they still pay for but don't play. I don't think the mankins contract is the only bad contract decision bb has made or will make. 

high level I agree with TripleOG...you got to put your money into certain positions, like QB, WR, cb and DT. I think the pats for whatever reason don't think this way. we will see it this offseason when the best cb we have had since Ty law walks, leaving our secondary once again in shambles. 

on mccourty...I wouldn't pay him big money to stay. I would rather take that money and pay Talib, and pray Harmon or Wilson can start at safety. i like mccourty, but the money should be allocated to a shutdown corner, not a so-so safety. 

If This team signs McCourty to big offseason deal to play safety??!!! ANother huge mistake. He is way overated on this board. Its bad because I like the guy, but when I call it straight , people think I dont like him. I do, I think he is a decent fit for our team but he hasnt proved anything at S to warrant even an ext. let alone a big pay day. He is still a CB playing S who has shied away from contact this year with that shoulder. Gregory went out a few plays when he tried to hit someone. I watch all games in the NFL. I see Detriot and their FS playing agressive and jumping plays and getting turnovers. Those are the guys you pay money for. If McCourty is just gonna line guys up and help over the top...I dont wanna pay him a bunch of money for that. Thats just adequate play,,..the bare minimum. Better to pay the CB position that took 5 years to fill