Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith

I was a little surprised and disappointed to see BOTH Lee and Yeatman cut, and immediately hook on with other teams.

Only 2 TEs now on the roster, and at first, that doens't seem like enough, and they probably will add a third at some point.

Then I started to think about last year. Crumpler was on the roster, but as the season wore on, you saw him less, and less and less.

Is it possible that Belichick is THAT impressed, THAT comfortable with just Hernandez and Gronkowski? At first, I thought not...but then I started to really think about the players. Sure, there is a depth issue, that's obvious. But, assume health for a moment...do the Pats even NEED a third TE? Gronkowski does everything a prototypical TE should: He's big, blocks well, sure handed, runs solid routes, and is happy to stay in and block all game if that's what's needed. Hernandez is a prototypical "new" hybrid-TE: He's bigger than a WR, faster than a TE, doesn't block extrememy well, but runs excellent routes and is EXTREMELY good after the catch.

The Pats really do have everythig a team could ever want at the TE postition neatly wrapped up in two bodies.

With their youth, if they DO stay healthy, I don't think I'd see a third TE even be able to get on the field during a game. Hernandez is 21, he doesn't know fatigue at that age, and Gronkowski I think is the kind of football lifer that you'll need a bulldozer to drag him off the field when his career is over, he'll run until he passes out.

I'd always just assumed either Lee or Yeatman would stick, because, well, that's what teams do, they keep 3 TEs. Then when I dug a little deeper, I realized the Pats have 2 TEs that could start on just about 30 other teams right now, which makes one of them the best 2nd TE in all of football. I really think they can, and might go with 2 TEs as long as the kids are healthy.

I've always had a soft spot for TEs, Big Ben Coates is one of my all time favorites. I had hopes for Rob Rutledge. HIGH hopes for both Graham and Watson. Was disappointed, and still am confused about the trading of Burger Man, Dave Thomas...but now I get to watch these two shred opposing Ds.

FOr the record, though I know nobody is asking, I have a huge man-crush on Gronkowski. From the time he was drafted and his family "broke it down" AT the draft, to his pass catching, and crushing blocking...he's probably my favorite player on the team. And he does 87 very proud.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith

In Response to Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith:
    [QUOTE] Was disappointed, and still am confused about the trading of Burger Man, Dave Thomas...but now I get to watch these two shred opposing Ds. 
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Are we thinking about the same Dave Thomas?

I'm thinking about the one with about 570 yards and three TDs combined in the last two seasons put together. Even if those stats were one season, saying he is shredding defenses sounds like a stretch. 

To answer the other question, maybe NE wants a third TE, but needs the depth elsewhere on the roster where they are using more players. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think maybe he wanted one to clear waivers, but I guess not that bad or he's have put them on the roster.  This may sound dumb, but I wouldn't be surprised if BB snags a pratice squad player from Buf or Mia for revenge.  2010- Broncos claimed Davis (PS player) a month later the Pats take Barrett from them.  2007- Vikings took Mills agains BB's wishes, and BB took Heron from them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith : Are we thinking about the same Dave Thomas? I'm thinking about the one with about 570 yards and three TDs combined in the last two seasons put together. Even if those stats were one season, saying he is shredding defenses sounds like a stretch.  To answer the other question, maybe NE wants a third TE, but needs the depth elsewhere on the roster where they are using more players. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yes, that same Dave Thomas who looked good helping NO to a Super Bowl win.

But, no, you misunderstood. I listed Thomas as the last in a line of disappointing TEs, and transitioned into expressing I get to watch these two TEs (Gronk/Hern) shred Ds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith : Are we thinking about the same Dave Thomas? I'm thinking about the one with about 570 yards and three TDs combined in the last two seasons put together. Even if those stats were one season, saying he is shredding defenses sounds like a stretch.  To answer the other question, maybe NE wants a third TE, but needs the depth elsewhere on the roster where they are using more players. 

The depth you refer to sounds like the D-Line where they kept 10, anyone of which would get claimed if cut.  D-Line are like pitchers, you can never have enough and, it's what I thought hastened their departure last year (injuries into the playoffs).  Crumpler is a phone call away.  Merriweather additon by subtradtion. 

One thing not said, the new kickoff rules changes one of the 6 special team lineups. kick off coverage allowing them to keep more lineman types. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith : Yes, that same Dave Thomas who looked good helping NO to a Super Bowl win. But, no, you misunderstood. I listed Thomas as the last in a line of disappointing TEs, and transitioned into expressing I get to watch these two TEs (Gronk/Hern) shred Ds.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

So because the team he was on won the Superbowl it makes him better than his statistics indicate? I live in New Orleans, and watch them every Sunday with a ton of devoted fans. Not many of them even know who Dave Thomas is, or where he comes from because he is the third TE after Jeremy Shockey and Jimmy Graham (the Miami rookie 3rd rounder who bumped Thomas down on the depth chart).

He was cut because he wasn't very good (and I wouldn't be surprised if the unsportsmanlike conduct flag that handed the Colts that game hurt him there too). He still drops passes, and still misses blocks ... though he can get himself open against average competition. 

I'm not confused why NE let him go ... in their rookie season both Hernandez and Gronk were better ... both had more TDs and the same yards than he posted the last two years combined. And in one season, both have more career TDs than he has in his five years.

Is that really confusing?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I think they pick up a 3rd TE, if only for protection if there is an injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith : The depth you refer to sounds like the D-Line where they kept 10, anyone of which would get claimed if cut.  D-Line are like pitchers, you can never have enough and, it's what I thought hastened their departure last year (injuries into the playoffs).  
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I was referring too. I don't think that NE doesn't want a 3rd TE, but I think BB would rather have a swiss army knife on the defensive line ... so he prioritized. I would have liked them to continue to develop Lee, but it's no big deal. 

Decent third TEs, especially blocking TEs, can be claimed off waivers relatively easily. Quality DT/E depth ... not so much. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

well, the point is a good one.  I wanted them to keep yeatman, but someone wanted him more, I guess.  That's the game, can't keep everyone.  Funny how all of our drops are IMMEDIATELY snagged by other teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I think BB intended for one of them to land on the practice squad so they could be called up in case of an injury to Gronk. 

He miscalculated. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith : So because the team he was on won the Superbowl it makes him better than his statistics indicate? I live in New Orleans, and watch them every Sunday with a ton of devoted fans. Not many of them even know who Dave Thomas is, or where he comes from because he is the third TE after Jeremy Shockey and Jimmy Graham (the Miami rookie 3rd rounder who bumped Thomas down on the depth chart). He was cut because he wasn't very good (and I wouldn't be surprised if the unsportsmanlike conduct flag that handed the Colts that game hurt him there too). He still drops passes, and still misses blocks ... though he can get himself open against average competition.  I'm not confused why NE let him go ... in their rookie season both Hernandez and Gronk were better ... both had more TDs and the same yards than he posted the last two years combined. And in one season, both have more career TDs than he has in his five years. Is that really confusing?

I'm not really sure what set you off so much about Thomas, at any rate, maybe I remembered him for more than he was worth, not that I even placed much worth on him at all. He had 35 catches in 09-10 (When NO won the SB) when Watson led Pats TEs with 29, The two youngsters came the next year. Thomas, THAT YEAR, was better than Watson. I was surprised, at the time, that Thomas got traded for nothing, a 6th I believe. New Orleans fans really don't know his name? I guess I'm only surprised because I'm used to Pats fans who are interested in TEs getting cut, nevermind ones on the roster. Reminds me why I enjoy rooting for the teams I do.

I was never really confused.

Is it really that frustrating?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

There's a method to the madness. Read somehwere that Solder could be used at TE for blocking schemes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

ZB has a point. At some point you have to prioritize. Given we are supposedly running more 4+ man DL's, and we are deep at that position, I think you keep an extra DL or two and in doing so, perhaps you try to get by with 2 TE's.
    The 1 surprise for me was keeping Tarpinian over Yeatman/Smith. This is probably 1 place where you could have let Tarpinian walk or IR'd him, and probably sign him to the PS, and have kept one of Yeatman/Smith.

I'm sure this was considered, but maybe in the end, BB didn't value Yeatman/Smith as much as the fans. I trust his opinion of course over any of ours given he is the expert. We have options however on the roster if we are looking for a blocker to line up outside the tackle. Solder can fill in here.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see another TE added to the lineup in the next few days or week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I trust coach Belichick to have made the right move regarding TEs. What he had, and what he can get with a phone call, are probably about the same thing and that is probably what he will do if somebody gets hurt for any extended period - pick up the phone.

Maybe he is planning on Solder being a surprise guy for that in some formations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

like someone else said, bb may have wanted one of the TEs released to end up on the practice squad and had to make sure he kept depth in other areas. In addition, Crump was prolly released because he's still recovering and mebbe was out of shape?  Mebbe Crump has been recovering/getting back into shape...and is one call away?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Gronkowski is one of the best if not the best all around TE in the league. Hernandez always (every play) seems to be on the cusp of becoming the next Dallas Clarke or maybe Gonzalez. And when he catches the ball he has an uncanny way of running for the first down or breaking it. He almost seems like what Welker would be if he were 245 pounds.

The third TE was essentially a big time blocker who had decent hands so you could throw his way in a pinch. I would love to see Crumpler back here this year.

The danger of course is depth. Neither of the two they have can be replaced. They are just too exceptional.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]I think they pick up a 3rd TE, if only for protection if there is an injury.
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

I agree. Wan't Hernandez hurt part of last season?????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I thought Shocker was a Panther.

Ben Watson hit or miss will forever go down in Pats lore running down Champ Bailey in Denver. I still think he caused a fumble thru the endzone and should have been a turnover on the 20.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]I trust coach Belichick to have made the right move regarding TEs. What he had, and what he can get with a phone call, are probably about the same thing and that is probably what he will do if somebody gets hurt for any extended period - pick up the phone. Maybe he is planning on Solder being a surprise guy for that in some formations.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I didn't think about Solder...Former TE right? I'm not implying he is gonna catch passes, but line up as a TE & block. BB loves versatility....

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Rumor has it Crumpler is on speed dial. Also, don't expect Smith and Yeatman to definitively make their teams.   They may just be in there to get pumped for info.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Really? What rumor?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]Rumor has it Crumpler is on speed dial. Also, don't expect Smith and Yeatman to definitively make their teams.   They may just be in there to get pumped for info.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Especially Yeatman, with his somewhat limited football knowledge having
    been a lacrosse player.  He may have trouble catching on.

Got to keep in mind every team is cutting players, Miami
    is not going to keep a guy who is slow in learning a new system.

Just hoping he ends up back

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats TEs, and Belichick's apparently huge amount of faith : That is exactly what I was referring too. I don't think that NE doesn't want a 3rd TE, but I think BB would rather have a swiss army knife on the defensive line ... so he prioritized. I would have liked them to continue to develop Lee, but it's no big deal.  Decent third TEs, especially blocking TEs, can be claimed off waivers relatively easily. Quality DT/E depth ... not so much. 

I don't think that NE doesn't want a 3rd TE, but I think BB would rather have a swiss army knife on the defensive line ... so he prioritized. Decent third TEs, especially blocking TEs, can be claimed off waivers relatively easily.

i'm thinking the same thing about these 2 points, but i also think bb was trying to sneak at least 1 of the 2 te's cut to the practice squad if not both. not to be.
    and yeah picking up a third te or maybe even wink with crumpler if we needed him is there too?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Use an extra lineman as a blocking TE for now. Crumpler didnt catch so thats what he was pretty much.

Sections
Shortcuts