Pats tied for 1st in takeaways

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Pats tied for 1st in takeaways

they are tied for 1st in takeaways at 18 with the giants.....listen the defense isnt great, but what that stat shows is that they are very opportunistic....you need to look no further then the end of the game against the jets, ninkovich hits the ball out and recovers it.....do i think the secondary needs help? absolutely, but i also believe the defense has done enough to keep us in games and has been very good at creating turnovers and giving the offense the ball in good field position. the team in third place in takeaways is the bears, so to be close to those two defenses in any category is impressive IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Re: Pats tied for 1st in takeaways

This being said, I see Bradford throwing the ball 50-60 times next sunday! So a lot of opportunities for the D to get turnovers, sacks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

This being said, I see Bradford throwing the ball 50-60 times next sunday! So a lot of opportunities for the D to get turnovers, sacks.

everyone passes on the pats because they have a good run defense and a poor pass defense....hopefully the pats force more turnovers on sunday.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

they are tied for 1st in takeaways at 18 with the giants.....listen the defense isnt great, but what that stat shows is that they are very opportunistic....you need to look no further then the end of the game against the jets, ninkovich hits the ball out and recovers it.....do i think the secondary needs help? absolutely, but i also believe the defense has done enough to keep us in games and has been very good at creating turnovers and giving the offense the ball in good field position. the team in third place in takeaways is the bears, so to be close to those two defenses in any category is impressive IMO.

now if the D can translate those turnovers  into holding 2 score leads in the 4th Qtr and the O can compliment them by picking up a couple of 1st downs late in the 4th we have something. 

Did anyone really think the Pats were going to hold on to the two score lead in the 4th quarter. As soon as Lloyd got called for offensive PI I just hoped the Pats had time to score again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

THANK GOODNESS OR WE MAY BE O-7

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

now if the D can translate those turnovers  into holding 2 score leads in the 4th Qtr

and the O can compliment them by picking up a couple of 1st downs late in the 4th we have something. 

YES AND IF JOSH CAN GET HIS HED OUT OF HIS BUTT TO DO SO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

everyone passes on the pats because they have a good run defense and a poor pass defense....hopefully the pats force more turnovers on sunday.

Yes that's true. They have one of.  The best run defenses in the leagu but the worst pass defense. It makes sense to throw against them. I'd do it on nearly every down if playing them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The turnovers really helps, gets the d off the field and usually sets the offense with good field position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Yes turnovers definitely help, but I don't put much stock in this ranking.  From what I can see, a third of those came in the game against Buffalo, and half came in the two games against Buffalo and Denver.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Fools gold!!!  A good % (13) of those TO's are a result of fumbles caused by the front 7 and not picks.  The secondary has produced exactly 1 pick in the past 3 games which was a result of a poorly thrown ball and not aggressive play by the secondary.  How many of those picks are actually a result of the secondary fighting for the ball?  Any?   Pretty hard when they are always 8 yards out of the picture.

Please look at the whole picture and stop making excuses for one of the worst D's ever.

Stop blaming Brady and his first place O for the struggles on this team, it's very rustyesk.  When the D is giving up more points per game than the 1st place O is scoring, it's not an offensive issue.  I take that back, it's extremely OFFENSIVE!!!

The D leading the league in completions of +15's, +20's, +30's, +40's, is the real problem with this team and a glaring one it is.  Anyone not seeing this is either agenda driven or legally deaf, dumb and blind. 

Considering the opposing QB's, with suddenly Montana  like QBR's, are throwing at this D more than any other D they are facing, their pick % is actually extremely poor.  EXTREMELY!

13 fumbles and 3 picks, WOW!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

they're also #1 in giving up the most passes/completions over 20+ yards with 38.....woohoo!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

now if the D can translate those turnovers  into holding 2 score leads in the 4th Qtr and the O can compliment them by picking up a couple of 1st downs late in the 4th we have something. 

Did anyone really think the Pats were going to hold on to the two score lead in the 4th quarter. As soon as Lloyd got called for offensive PI I just hoped the Pats had time to score again.

Funny how people talk about the jets' mistakes. Lloyd's and McCourty's were epic fails.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They are top 10 in plays against them. So they have had more opportunity for takeaways than most.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Now, draw the dotted line from this statistic to a 4-3 record.... PLEASE!!!!

With these numbers, it seem that the OFFENSE is the culprit, right? After all, the offense can't generate POSITIVE turnovers, right?

What exactly is this statistic telling us? Or, is it a Manning-esque number to just kick around? Doesn't mean jack to me if it doesn't translate into something positive in teh win/loss column.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

With these numbers, it seem that the OFFENSE is the culprit, right? After all, the offense can't generate POSITIVE turnovers, right?

What exactly is this statistic telling us? Or, is it a Manning-esque number to just kick around? Doesn't mean jack to me if it doesn't translate into something positive in teh win/loss column.

one-third of the take-aways came in one game.  half came from only two games.

Possible conclusions, among others:

1.  D is doing a good job, and the offense is failing to capitalize.  Because only a couple games generated half the take-aways, I don't buy this one.

2.  The only way the D can actually stop anyone is by getting a turnover.  Something to think about.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

1.  D is doing a good job, and the offense is failing to capitalize.  Because only a couple games generated half the take-aways, I don't buy this one.

2.  The only way the D can actually stop anyone is by getting a turnover.  Something to think about.

this may be true, but if they are among the league leaders in takeaways, at least they are doing something right....people also dont want to realize that the pats were without BOTH of their starting safeties this week, that changes alot from a scheme standpoint....i think the defense needs to be much improved, but noone thought they would improve come playoff time last year and then all of a sudden the pats defense turned into the strength of the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Honestly, it seems if BB sets up his secondary to give up yards just hoping the QB messes up one time, and they go for the pick.  The Pats went 2 games without getting a pick before that ugle underthrown ball by dirty S.  The Pats being tied for first in takeaways can't just be thrown under rug as some are trying to do.  This is the second best stat this defense can hold on to.  They also are great at stopping the run.

I feel the linebackers need to show a little more in coverage, and it goes without saying that we need to shore up the secondary.  Honestly guys, it really doesn't help playing 3 rookies back there fulltime.  When Chung and Gregory come back it is going to help a lot.  In the meantime the young guys are getting plenty of work in. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Honestly, it seems if BB sets up his secondary to give up yards just hoping the QB messes up one time, and they go for the pick.  The Pats went 2 games without getting a pick before that ugle underthrown ball by dirty S.  The Pats being tied for first in takeaways can't just be thrown under rug as some are trying to do.  This is the second best stat this defense can hold on to.  They also are great at stopping the run.

I feel the linebackers need to show a little more in coverage, and it goes without saying that we need to shore up the secondary.  Honestly guys, it really doesn't help playing 3 rookies back there fulltime.  When Chung and Gregory come back it is going to help a lot.  In the meantime the young guys are getting plenty of work in. 

dennard looked pretty good on sunday other than a couple of plays.....he may have saved a td by grabbing on to a receivers jersey and taking the penalty....he does seem to have good ball skills....i have no idea what is going on with dowling though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

You also have to think about Ebner taking up a roster spot at the moment.  The boy is incredible raw at safety so that also takes away a layer of depth. Our secondary should look like this:

Dennard     Gregory   Chung    McCourty

Arrington

Not:

Arrington    Wilson    McCourty    Dennard

Moore/Dowling

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

this may be true, but if they are among the league leaders in takeaways, at least they are doing something right....people also dont want to realize that the pats were without BOTH of their starting safeties this week, that changes alot from a scheme standpoint....i think the defense needs to be much improved, but noone thought they would improve come playoff time last year and then all of a sudden the pats defense turned into the strength of the team.

Sorry, no matter who lines up at safety, the Pats are continually getting gashed on long passes. Have given up more long plays so far this year than ALL of last seasn.

Not a good thing.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts