Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look?

With Matt Light retired, and Sebastien Vollmer's back showing no signs of improving, it's been reported that the Patriots are considering bringing in former Green Bay Packers' starting LT, Chad Clifton, for a look. Like the retired Matt Light, Clifton was a 2nd round pick, who was selected a year earlier, in the 2000 draft:  http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/blitz/index.php/2012/08/12/patriots-have-shown-interest-in-chad-clifton/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Pats' Bringing in OT Chad Clifton For a Look

As discussed prior. Damn shame if Vollmer goes the way of Kazur. What really suxs is Vollmer had so much upside. Linemen and bad back disks never end well.

All the more reason Solder needs to man up and bring his b88ls to the next game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Pats' Bringing in OT Chad Clifton For a Look

In Response to Re: Pats' Bringing in OT Chad Clifton For a Look:
    [QUOTE]As discussed prior. Damn shame if Vollmer goes the way of Kazur. What really suxs is Vollmer had so much upside. Linemen and bad back disks never end well. All the more reason Solder needs to man up and bring his b88ls to the next game.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

Not only the way of Kaczur, but also the way of Marcus McNeil, the former Chargers' pro-bowl LT. McNeil announced his retirement recently, due to chronic back problems.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look?

12 years on the same team and released for failing the physical.

Has he got anything left in the tank? Brady protected by a Rodgers reject?

Who else is available? The O-Line seems to be falling apart before the season even starts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look?:
    [QUOTE]12 years on the same team and released for failing the physical. Has he got anything left in the tank? Brady protected by a Rodgers reject? Who else is available? The O-Line seems to be falling apart before the season even starts.
    Posted by stillgridlocked[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that Clifton had failed his physical:
    http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82886126/packers-release-clifton-after-veteran-tackle-fails-physical/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]12 years on the same team and released for failing the physical. Has he got anything left in the tank? Brady protected by a Rodgers reject? Who else is available? The O-Line seems to be falling apart before the season even starts.
    Posted by stillgridlocked[/QUOTE]

Mankins just got activated. Waters will be back by week 1. I wouldn't call it falling apart. I would call it "coming together"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I have readjusted my outlook!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? : Mankins just got activated. Waters will be back by week 1. I wouldn't call it falling apart. I would call it "coming together"
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look?:
    [QUOTE]     With Matt Light retired, and Sebastien Vollmer's back showing no signs of improving, it's been reported that the Patriots are considering bringing in former Green Bay Packers' starting LT, Chad Clifton, for a look. Like the retired Matt Light, Clifton was a 2nd round pick, who was selected a year earlier, in the 2000 draft:   http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/blitz/index.php/2012/08/12/patriots-have-shown-interest-in-chad-clifton/
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Can you give a link to your point that Vollmers back shows no sign of improvement????? Or is it just the same BS you have been spouting about Mankins being out till November???? Your negative view point had worn it self out long ago...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

My God, Chad Clifton! Didn't he play at Tennessee? This is the same guy that Sapp cheap shotted right? I can't believe this guy is still playing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In Response to Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look?:
    [QUOTE]     With Matt Light retired, and Sebastien Vollmer's back showing no signs of improving, it's been reported that the Patriots are considering bringing in former Green Bay Packers' starting LT, Chad Clifton, for a look. Like the retired Matt Light, Clifton was a 2nd round pick, who was selected a year earlier, in the 2000 draft:   http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/blitz/index.php/2012/08/12/patriots-have-shown-interest-in-chad-clifton/

Wouldnt Light be a better option if he could be coaxed back? Would he pass a physical. I think he said he hade Krones disease I have no idea what that is but you would think he would be betterthan Clifton since he knows the system.

that being said is the system that complex for linemen?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? : Wouldnt Light be a better option if he could be coaxed back? Would he pass a physical. I think he said he hade Krones disease I have no idea what that is but you would think he would be betterthan Clifton since he knows the system. that being said is the system that complex for linemen?
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]

I'd beg Light to come back at this point, but the guy already just walked away from what? Eight million? I don't think he's coming back and he just got the new gig at espn.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? : Can you give a link to your point that Vollmers back shows no sign of improvement????? Or is it just the same BS you have been spouting about Mankins being out till November???? Your negative view point had worn it self out long ago...
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]

From what I read, Vollmer was on the sidelines with Mankins the other day in practice leading to speculation that both would soon be activated. Mankins obviously has been activated, so we can hope that Vollmer is not far behind.  

I don't think there's any chance at all of Light coming back. I think it's amazing he played as long as he did given his medical condition.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It never hurts to bring people in to look at but not sure if having an aging vet is anything better then what we have

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? : Mankins just got activated. Waters will be back by week 1. I wouldn't call it falling apart. I would call it "coming together"

The Pats' main problem on their OL is at the tackle spot, not at guard. Nate Solder looked awful in game one, and C-Bass seems no where near ready due to chronic back problems. His career may be in jeopardy. This being the case, Marcus Cannon will likely start the season as the Pats' RT, though he's probably better suited to play guard. The Pats' top back-up may be undrafted rookie Darrion Weems, who is also nicked up.  

Not good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I'm hopeful Waters will be back, Mankins being back is good, and have a feeling they are simply keeping Vollmer sidelined to keep that back healthy BEFORE the season....just my opinion.

However, I would love to see them get some solid back-up in case my scenario doesn't play out. I would hope they would look for youth over guys that are on the brink of retirement, and subject to injury anyways.

As with anything else in preseason, we get to hurry up and wait it out....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Pats are bringing Clifton in for a physical: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000049221/article/chad-clifton-to-take-new-england-patriots-physical

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? :      The Pats' main problem on their OL is at the tackle spot, not at guard. Nate Solder looked awful in game one, and C-Bass seems no where near ready due to chronic back problems. His career may be in jeopardy. This being the case, Marcus Cannon will likely start the season as the Pats' RT, though he's probably better suited to play guard. The Pats' top back-up may be undrafted rookie Darrion Weems, who is also nicked up.        Not good.

The Pats top back ups are probably McDonald and Wendell. Both are sound players who are familiar with the O, the techniques coached and have played reasonably well when called upon (the first preseason game this year notwithstanding).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? : I'd beg Light to come back at this point, but the guy already just walked away from what? Eight million? I don't think he's coming back and he just got the new gig at espn.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I have no reason to know anything but I would suspect that if the Pats are in a real pinch at T or OL in general by around game 6 they might approach Light and perhaps, not ahving to have gone through training camp and preseason and being given enough time to get into shape he might maybe take them up on it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? :      The Pats' main problem on their OL is at the tackle spot, not at guard. Nate Solder looked awful in game one, and C-Bass seems no where near ready due to chronic back problems. His career may be in jeopardy. This being the case, Marcus Cannon will likely start the season as the Pats' RT, though he's probably better suited to play guard. The Pats' top back-up may be undrafted rookie Darrion Weems, who is also nicked up.        Not good.

Despite what a few media reports have said, BB thinks Cannon is a tackle. I personnaly think Cannon will be a great o linemen.

Q: Hi Mike, I keep hearing about how Cannon looks more suited for the role of guard. Why do you think he hasn't been tried at that position and should Waters not return and Vollmer come back strong do you think we could end up seeing him there. It seems like if Connolly moved back to center, Cannon would have the potential to help at the guard position. -- Tom Mangin (Medford, Oregon)

A: Tom, I asked Belichick about that on Monday and he pretty decisively put Cannon at the tackle spot. From my amateur scouting viewpoint, it's looked like he's struggled there in camp and in the preseason opener. While I wouldn't alter my opinion, I think we can ask the question, who has a better feel for Cannon -- 38-year NFL coaching veteran Bill Belichick or an ESPNBoston.com writer who hasn't worked a sideline? I'd go with Belichick, so let's see how it plays out. Here was Belichick's direct quote on Cannon: "He's big, he's strong, he's in good condition [and] he's got the feet to be able to play out there in space. It's the position he played in college; he has a long history of playing there."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? : Despite what a few media reports have said, BB thinks Cannon is a tackle. I personnaly think Cannon will be a great o linemen. Q: Hi Mike, I keep hearing about how Cannon looks more suited for the role of guard. Why do you think he hasn't been tried at that position and should Waters not return and Vollmer come back strong do you think we could end up seeing him there. It seems like if Connolly moved back to center, Cannon would have the potential to help at the guard position. -- Tom Mangin (Medford, Oregon) A: Tom, I asked Belichick about that on Monday and he pretty decisively put Cannon at the tackle spot. From my amateur scouting viewpoint, it's looked like he's struggled there in camp and in the preseason opener. While I wouldn't alter my opinion, I think we can ask the question, who has a better feel for Cannon -- 38-year NFL coaching veteran Bill Belichick or an ESPNBoston.com writer who hasn't worked a sideline? I'd go with Belichick, so let's see how it plays out. Here was Belichick's direct quote on Cannon: " He's big, he's strong, he's in good condition [and] he's got the feet to be able to play out there in space. It's the position he played in college; he has a long history of playing there ."

Same 'ol same 'ol. How dare lil' ol' me question the great and powerful Bill? It's just my opinion. Apparently, Mike Reiss and I are on the same page.

Besides, what do you expect BB to say? He needs Cannon to play RT. Did you really expect him to tell Reiss that he's right, and that he agrees that Cannon is better suited to play OG? 

If BB is so comfortable with Cannon at RT, why is he bringing in 12 year veteran Chad Clifton for a phhysical?

Hey...I hope Cannon works out at RT. He has the size needed to succeed at the position. But, the question is, does he possess the athleticism necessary to pass protect?       

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? :      Same 'ol same 'ol. How dare lil' ol' me question the great and powerful Bill? It's just my opinion. Apparently, Mike Reiss and I are on the same page.      Besides, what do you expect BB to say? He needs Cannon to play RT. Did you really expect him to tell Reiss that he's right, and that he agrees that Cannon is better suited to play OG?       If BB is so comfortable with Cannon at RT, why is he bringing in 12 year veteran Chad Clifton for a phhysical?      Hey...I hope Cannon works out at RT. He has the size needed to succeed at the position. But, the question is, does he possess the athleticism necessary to pass protect?       
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

For the same reason he brings in Plexico, due diligence. BB will leave no stone unturned. I am not saying you are wrong to question the tackle position. It has the least amount of depth even if Volmer plays all 16 games. I just can't believe BB and staff are too worried about it. They throw the ball almost more then any team in the league, and our HOF QB just turned 35. They must have faith Cannon, and a few back ups who have been roaming all over the line.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats' To Bring in OT Chad Clifton For a Look? : For the same reason he brings in Plexico, due diligence.

RESPONSE: Not buying it. The Pats are over-stocked at WR, and are paper thin at OT.

BB will leave no stone unturned. I am not saying you are wrong to question the tackle position. It has the least amount of depth even if Volmer plays all 16 games. I just can't believe BB and staff are too worried about it.

RESPONSE: Then why bring in a 34 year old, 12 year veteran for a physical, when he's already failed his physical with the Green Bay Packers?

They throw the ball almost more then any team in the league, and our HOF QB just turned 35. They must have faith Cannon, and a few back ups who have been roaming all over the line.

RESPONSE: Not buying it. They appear to be concerned. They've already brought aboard undrafted rookie OT Darrion Weems, who had been cut by the "powerhouse" Minnesota Vikings. Based on what I've seen, there's reason for concern.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more regarding the progress of Pats'  RT, Marcus Cannon:

"Trevor Scott had little problem getting to the edge against Cannon, who looks really lost at this point. He’s had trouble against strength, and now he seems to be oversetting to prepare for that, and as a result is also susceptible to speed rushes.": http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/08/16/a_rundown_of_patriots_practice_for_wednesday_aug_15/?page=2

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]     Here's more regarding the progress of Pats'  RT, Marcus Cannon:      "Trevor Scott had little problem getting to the edge against Cannon, who looks really lost at this point. He’s had trouble against strength, and now he seems to be oversetting to prepare for that, and as a result is also susceptible to speed rushes.": http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/08/16/a_rundown_of_patriots_practice_for_wednesday_aug_15/?page=2
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Yeah I read that, sounds like he is having a very tough camp. Wasn't this guy projected as a road grating guard? I hope they get this tackle problem set before the season starts or it's going to be a chuck and duck offense for a 35 year old QB. Maybe this will force them into more of a grind it out type of offense until things get settled...who knows? Maybe it will make us better in the long run.

Sections
Shortcuts