PATS TO MAKE LONDON A REGULAR GIG?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

PATS TO MAKE LONDON A REGULAR GIG?

NFL Commish Roger Goodell hinted that in the future , having the same team play one game a year across the puddle might be a good way for the British to embrace the game by having a rootin' interest in a particular team .

What better choice than the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS ? !

It could become an NFL tradition ~ like the Lions / Cowboys Turkey Day games .

I understand on the surface it seems like a yearly hardship for the Pats ~ with all the special prep and routine disruptions accompanying the long journey .
      However , I believe the benefits would ultimately overcome the detrimental elements.

1) The  Pats opponent would be less used to the uniqueness of the game .

2) The Pats are an East coast team -so there's the probability that in certain years - their opponent would be making an even longer journey .

3) The Pats would alternate the home / away status - So they wouldn't be forced to sacrifice a home game every season - but would have the added benefit of still enjoying a "home " crowd.

4) The Pats are typically built to play in the elements - and the weather in London is very similar to New England's ... though usually wetter .
     ( case in pt...had the TB game been played where it was suppose to have been - It would have been mid 80's and humid )

5) The comraderie that will be built by teamates would be priceless .

There would also be the added benefit of having Europe's hidden NFL talent become Pats fans at an early age ... and who knows what type of free agent pool might some day be added from Europe ?
    ( Pats drafted Germany's Sabastian Volmer and so far - he's played well at Left Tackle for the inj'd Matt Light )

" YO KRAFT ... LISTEN UP YOU SELF PROFESSED ANGLIOPHILE , WHITE COLLAR'D WEARING BASS - TARD :

GET THE PATS THAT PERMANENT LONDON GIG ASAP ! "

ps - Don't worry season ticket holders ... Pats could offset the "lost home game " with a discounted overseas package for those wanting to travel abroad ( or maybe even offer it up for other away games ...Miami ? )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

Re: PATS TO MAKE LONDON A REGULAR GIG?

Maybe the Pats could even convince the NFL into permanently making them the Away team so NO Foxboro games would be affected 
      Let's say next year - the Pats allow the "home team " status
    ( Only 7 Foxboro games in 2010 )
     From then on they could make the argument that they already forfeited one ...so hence forth it would be their opponents obligation to do likewise )

FOOD FOR THOUGHT .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

Would this be a meal flight or just a snack?

I think playing in England is ridiculous. If Goodell is targeting the globalization of the NFL, London is a good call. Move the Raiders there. I can't think of another crowd that could dress the part. Halloween in the stands every home game would not be a problem

England has football already, and predictably don't use their hands (soccer) :P I don't foresee the populace embracing their very own NFL franchise. I understand that NFL in the UK creates excitement. It is only by the very nature of it being a sideshow event does it garner attention.

For students of geography, England is an island. It's probably as big of a pain in the A55 for fans in Europe to travel to London, as it is for a team from the United States to travel there. If having a game in England is promoting NFL Europe or NFL U.S., this solution misses the mark badly.

Who were those people in the stands at Wembley? Transplanted Americans, Brits who are fans of all American football, or folks just out for something different? In either case it was not a good showing gamewise.

I'm not shooting down your idea of playing games there, but isn't it all basically to see how bringing a franchise to UK/Europe would work?  I'm thinking logistically how that franchise makes money, and how you convince 8 other NFL teams to play a road game there.

Your argument about the Pats playing overseas every year is valid and would work until the dream ends and London is enjoying the 1990 Patriots vs the 2008 Lions. Yesterday's game was most certainly not Pats vs Colts.

Football is ours, it needs to stay here. IMHO

lunch over / rant off

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The New/England Patriots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The question of who, exactly, is in the stands is valid.

If the Indian Premier League were to bring cricket to Minneapolis, I would probably go watch it just to see what it was -- once.

Does that mean the Champions League should schedule tests every year -- or float the idea that this area -- diverse as it is -- would support its own side in the ICBL (if there even is any such thing)?

I'm inclined to doubt it . . .

just as I am inclined to doubt that an NFL franchise could flourish in the long run in London. I'm going to say this one more time in case people have forgotten. Europe had American football and it ignored it with great vigor. NFL Europe folded not with a bang, and while it may be missed by pockets of fandom, a sufficient number of the huddled masses seemed fairly certain that they weren't interested so as to make it disappear. And I also have a hard time believing that Mr. Kraft -- or any other NFL owner -- would sign on to take on the logistical headache of being "Europe's team" once a year every year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

If the proposed replacement for the Concorde, the Tupolev Tu-244, is put into commercial service in 2010 or 2011 then travel time would no longer be a problem.  NASA is working on this plane in partnership with Russia. It should operate at about 2 times the speed of sound.  

Of course, Cinci and KC can still use a DC-3 if they insist.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

In Response to Re: PATS TO MAKE LONDON A REGULAR GIG?:
    For students of geography, England is an island. It's probably as big of a pain in the A55 for fans in Europe to travel to London, as it is for a team from the United States to travel there.

Nope, amongst the mainly British crowd I sat next to groups from Italy and Germany and a few Americans working in Europe. Flights within Europe are cheap and the countries geographically close.

Who were those people in the stands at Wembley? Transplanted Americans, Brits who are fans of all American football, or folks just out for something different?

Mainly Brits who are fans - the same people who have sold out Wembley every time an NFL team comes to the UK, which until recently were all pre-season games.

There were 85,000 people watching the game on Sunday - how does that compare to Jacksonville? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

I'm going to say this one more time in case people have forgotten. Europe had American football and it ignored it with great vigor. NFL Europe folded.

That's a terrible argument. NFL Europe failed for the same reason that all the wannabe NFL leagues have folded in the US - Arena, XFL, USFL - they are pale imitations of the real thing.

There are more than enough football fans in Europe to support an NFL franchise, especially as more than a few teams can't get seem to get enough support from their local fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I like it.  If I could get tickets. I would plan a family Vacation around it.  Dublin for a few days then London for a few.

I would bet if Manchester United were to schedule a regular season game anywhere on the East Coast, North of Virginia, they would sell out, like the Patriots over there, in minutes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

Great idea, CapnFoxboro.

I am surprised by the parochialism of some of your fellow countrymen - the Americans I met on Sunday got a kick out of how warmly their game was received by us Europeans and surprised that most of us knew the rules!

BTW, people keep going on about the distance but is travelling from Boston to London much further than, say, travelling to Seattle or SF?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

How about we DONT play on other countries, this is an AMERICAN sport

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

[QUOTE]How about we DONT play on other countries, this is an AMERICAN sport
    Posted by WCPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Do they check your passport before selling you a ticket? I better send all my NFL merchandise back before someone realises that I'm English.

While we're at it, please stop playing football (soccer) 'cos we invented that. Pretty sure the Greeks want you to stop with the athletics as well - you're keep beating them at the Olympics - and tell Tiger to stop playing that Scottish game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from payingfan. Show payingfan's posts

No chance, Kraft would never pay for the flight every year!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]No chance, Kraft would never pay for the flight every year!
    Posted by payingfan[/QUOTE]

OK, I'm not buying it anymore.  You are most definitely the creation of some user with a twisted, but good sense of humor.  Nice one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]No chance, Kraft would never pay for the flight every year!
    Posted by payingfan[/QUOTE]

Give it up Leon

Sections
Shortcuts